313 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: CONFIMRED José Gomes

by Stranded » 14 Jan 2019 09:49

Lower West
Ascotexgunner
I get your stance, I defy anyone to say they weren't baffled by the appointment.....however he seems to bring way more positivity than Clement did and if he does pull off the great escape then clearly sacking the last two was the right decision. Clement could never have achieved keeping us up.

Clement had actually managed to get us in a reasonable shape prior to his sacking. Considering players available for selection. Gomes team looks little different to what Clements formation had evolved into. Seemingly immediately relegating Aluko and Kelly from the starting 11.

Thought Saturdays subs were interesting. Would have expected more defensive ones to secure the points.

Formation may be similar but the way of playing is different and much more positive than we were playing under Clement. Not saying PC wouldn't have evolved to be more positive but Gomes has made that change immediately.

I think one thing worth noting is a couple of players coming out and saying they are enjoying themselves more now - whether that is due to Gomes' training techniques or any "bad apples" being removed from the sqaud remains to be seen but the players, to date certainly seem to have bought into Gomes more than any other manager in recent times (perhaps with the exception of Stam in his first season).

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Jan 2019 10:24

Two words, IMO, "driving forward"

More words. More players will carry the ball when there's space,
and very often at space. Rhino, most games, McCleary this weekend

It seems they are rekindling the Williams factor but not with just one player.

Not sure if other sides are setting up differently or whether we were ignoring
the spaces under Stam (2) and Clement.

Saturday, McLeary drove hard towards the box. He looked like he'd become
suddenly aware he is going to have to fight for his place

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Jan 2019 13:15

Snowball Two words, IMO, "driving forward"

Agreed. Mac did drive forward well, yeah. I hope he'd do that against 11 men too.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Jan 2019 13:51

Stranded
Lower West
Ascotexgunner
I get your stance, I defy anyone to say they weren't baffled by the appointment.....however he seems to bring way more positivity than Clement did and if he does pull off the great escape then clearly sacking the last two was the right decision. Clement could never have achieved keeping us up.

Clement had actually managed to get us in a reasonable shape prior to his sacking. Considering players available for selection. Gomes team looks little different to what Clements formation had evolved into. Seemingly immediately relegating Aluko and Kelly from the starting 11.

Thought Saturdays subs were interesting. Would have expected more defensive ones to secure the points.

Formation may be similar but the way of playing is different and much more positive than we were playing under Clement. Not saying PC wouldn't have evolved to be more positive but Gomes has made that change immediately.

I think one thing worth noting is a couple of players coming out and saying they are enjoying themselves more now - whether that is due to Gomes' training techniques or any "bad apples" being removed from the sqaud remains to be seen but the players, to date certainly seem to have bought into Gomes more than any other manager in recent times (perhaps with the exception of Stam in his first season).

I'd agree the style of play is different, more passing orientated, but I wouldn't say we're "more positive". Can only think of Birmingham away where we went really negative and reverted to ponderous Stam ball at the back. Also Millwall at home where we defended for most of the game.

We pretty much always tried to go forward with Clement as manager.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 Jan 2019 14:15

the one thing I can determine from what Ive seen of both managers, and the way they speak/what they say

id be far more likely to follow JG into battle than PC

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Jan 2019 14:32

Lower West Thought Saturdays subs were interesting. Would have expected more defensive ones to secure the points.

Glad he didn't - the most crowd-pleasing and positive way to secure the points against 10 men is to get more goals.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Jan 2019 14:37

Platypuss
Lower West Thought Saturdays subs were interesting. Would have expected more defensive ones to secure the points.

Glad he didn't - the most crowd-pleasing and positive way to secure the points against 10 men is to get more goals.

Nah, maybe a few more defenders would have better enabled us to keep possession, pass it around at the back, etc. The crowd would have understood. :wink:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Jan 2019 15:34

Platypuss

Not sure, but you just might be on to something...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Jan 2019 15:56

There is also the (strong) argument that the best way to defend a lead is to ensure you still have impetus going forwards. The moment you bring on a load of defenders you start inviting pressure.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Jan 2019 17:14

Platypuss

Considering we were relegated on a goal difference not so long ago, the more goals the merrier.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2019 17:34

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Snowball Two words, IMO, "driving forward"

Agreed. Mac did drive forward well, yeah. I hope he'd do that against 11 men too.

I've thought G has been pretty positive since he came back in, if not necessarily successfully.

Rino and Dr Bacuna in the same midfield helps because both can and do carry it forward. Plus Bod also helps, having a genuine focal point .makes all the difference.

It's no coincidence IMO that having a proper fit senior striker back has helped us look more like scoring, as we did when he and Meite were amongst the goals earlier on.

. And with Swift back where he's best rather than fart arsing in the middle of the pitch and springing opposition counter attacks on us it also helps.

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 03 Dec 2019 18:43

Thou Voice
72 bus Thou Voice, who is currently on my ignore list, has apparently made a post.
No doubt more complete bollocks.

Just correcting a fact !

Do You See ? :shock:

Something wrong inside your head?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Dec 2019 10:19

Aeroguide
Thou Voice
72 bus Thou Voice, who is currently on my ignore list, has apparently made a post.
No doubt more complete bollocks.

Just correcting a fact !

Do You See ? :shock:

Something wrong inside your head?

:|

313 posts