Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h) sponsored by Gunnarsson hitting the bar

by Sutekh » 10 Feb 2019 10:36

When : Wednesday 13th February, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Next up is Blackburn.

Blackburn are not doing at all badly, thankyou very much. Stuck on the fringes of the play off places they're a well organised outfit though their form seems so be very prone to wild mood wings veering from losing to winning streaks and back again.

Currently they've started losing (which actually probably isn't that good for Reading) after following up last weeks 5-2 stuffing at Brentford with a 1-0 loss at home to Bristol City however before that it was 4 successive league wins (v Hull, Ipswich, Millwall and WBA) but before that is was 3 successive defeats (v Sheff U, Leeds & Norwich). Their current away form though isn't great with 1 win and 2 draws to show for the last 9 on the road.

Good news for Reading is it seems that at last the defensive side is starting to gel reasonably successfully, trouble is the club is struggling really badly at the other end of the pitch to get anything remotely clear cut, let alone getting the ball into that net thing but at least if that miracle ever does happen there's a chance the club might successfully hold out to collect 3 points.

Injury news for Blackburn is that they have doubts over Lenihan and Evans but sadly looks like Dack, Graham and Mulgrew will be ready to go. Dominic Samuel didn't feature against Bristol City so perhaps that's one possible bullet that might be dodged on Wednesday.

As far as we know there's no new injuries for Reading after Sheffield Wednesday and Ejaria will presumably be back after illness. It may be feasible that Oliveira gets a game but I'm not really expecting it so if he is involved that's a bonus.

This could be a game that really sets up Reading's remaining season. A win for Reading and no win for Rotherham at Hull (they play on the Tuesday night) with push Reading into the safety zone although how long that would given that Reading next have to go to Sheffield United is anyone's guess. Even a point would take the club out of the bottom 3 if Rotherham lose at Hull. Just don't want to think about any other outcomes!

I expect the crowd attendance for both teams will be down as the old "red button" is going to provide coverage so when you weigh that up against Reading's depressing form and the likely freezing cold and/or possibly wet conditions there's likely to be only one decision for many.

Referee

It's Steve Martin again.

Previously....

22 Dec 2018 > Reading 0-1 Middlesbrough
14 Apr 2018 > Reading 2-2 Sunderland
27 Feb 2018 > Nottm Forest 1-1 Reading
11 Dec 2017 > Reading 2-2 Cardiff City
23 Sep 2017 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
26 Aug 2017 -> Birmingham City 0-2 Reading
24 Jan 2017 > Reading 1-0 Fulham
15 Oct 2016 > Queen's Park Rangers 1-1 Reading
15 Mar 2016 > Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Reading
23 Jan 2016 > Reading 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday
19 Sep 2015 > Bristol City 0-2 Reading
25 Mar 2014 > Reading 1-3 Barnsley

Historically

Reading hadn't played a league game against Blackburn until a 1-1 draw on Saturday 1st December 1979. Since then there's been a further 8 visits from the Rovers and it's all been fairly even with 3 wins to Reading and 2 to Blackburn. Apart from one game, things have tended to be very close affairs with a goal deciding it or more than likely no goals happening whatsoever - so yet another 0-0 probably wouldn't be surprise to anyone.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (by the way has anyone managed to get the actual game commentary working on an iPhone/android as yet)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. Sky red button

Rea Ding

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackburn Rovers (h) sponsored by Gunnarsson hitting the bar

by Rea Ding » 10 Feb 2019 16:21

At long last I hope to be out of the drop zone this week!
Another clean sheet and we will start to show some steel and consistency at the back

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Feb 2019 18:48

Think this will be a tight 1-0 either way but I did see somewhere that Blackburn have the most goals conceded away from home so it could be a good chance for us to bag a couple of much needed goals

Would go with :

Martinez

Yiadom
Moore
Miazga
Blackett

Rino
Kelly

Aluko
Swift
Richards

Oliveira

Walker, McShane, Gunter, Baker, Ejaria, Barrow and Bod on the bench

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Feb 2019 18:57

Sutekh

Next up is Blackburn.

Blackburn are not doing at all badly, thankyou very much. Stuck on the fringes of the play off places they're a well organised outfit though their form seems so be very prone to wild mood wings veering from losing to winning streaks and back again.

Currently they've started losing (which actually probably isn't that good for Reading) after following up last weeks 5-2 stuffing at Brentford with a 1-0 loss at home to Bristol City however before that it was 4 successive league wins (v Hull, Ipswich, Millwall and WBA) but before that is was 3 successive defeats (v Sheff U, Leeds & Norwich). Their current away form though isn't great with 1 win and 2 draws to show for the last 9 on the road.

Good news for Reading is it seems that at last the defensive side is starting to gel reasonably successfully, trouble is the club is struggling really badly at the other end of the pitch to get anything remotely clear cut, let alone getting the ball into that net thing but at least if that miracle ever does happen there's a chance the club might successfully hold out to collect 3 points.

Injury news for Blackburn is that they have doubts over Lenihan and Evans but sadly looks like Dack, Graham and Mulgrew will be ready to go. Dominic Samuel didn't feature against Bristol City so perhaps that's one possible bullet that might be dodged on Wednesday.

As far as we know there's no new injuries for Reading after Sheffield Wednesday and Ejaria will presumably be back after illness. It may be feasible that Oliveira gets a game but I'm not really expecting it so if he is involved that's a bonus.

This could be a game that really sets up Reading's remaining season. A win for Reading and no win for Rotherham at Hull (they play on the Tuesday night) with push Reading into the safety zone although how long that would given that Reading next have to go to Sheffield United is anyone's guess. Even a point would take the club out of the bottom 3 if Rotherham lose at Hull. Just don't want to think about any other outcomes!

I expect the crowd attendance for both teams will be down as the old "red button" is going to provide coverage so when you weigh that up against Reading's depressing form and the likely freezing cold and/or possibly wet conditions there's likely to be only one decision for many.

Referee

It's Steve Martin again.

Previously....

Historically

Reading hadn't played a league game against Blackburn until a 1-1 draw on Saturday 1st December 1979. Since then there's been a further 8 visits from the Rovers and it's all been fairly even with 3 wins to Reading and 2 to Blackburn. Apart from one game, things have tended to be very close affairs with a goal deciding it or more than likely no goals happening whatsoever - so yet another 0-0 probably wouldn't be surprise to anyone.

How to follow the game

2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  4. Use an iFollow subscription (by the way has anyone managed to get the actual game commentary working on an iPhone/android as yet)
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. Sky red button

I watch ifollow on my iphone 8+ and have no problems with the sound or commentary, i fact its way better than using my laptop.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Feb 2019 18:57

Sutekh

Next up is Blackburn.

Referee

It's Steve Martin again.

Previously....

Historically

How to follow the game

6. Sky red button

I watch ifollow on my iphone 8+ and have no problems with the sound or commentary, in fact its way better than using my laptop.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Feb 2019 19:10

I swear Steve Martin is always here.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Feb 2019 20:58

Quite looking forward to this - like an evening game and actually weather looks pleasant so won’t be freezing my balls off

Bit of a crucial game though - really want to start getting our noses in front of Rotherham

Similar team for me to last time, but Ejaria and Bod in if Oliveira isn’t fit for Aluko & one of the other wingers

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 10 Feb 2019 21:14

We have goals in the team- Barrow, Swift, McCleary. It`s about time these players started hitting the back of the net. Mcleary had a great chance in the 2nd half on Saturday and didn`t even test the keeper.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Feb 2019 23:24

Hound Quite looking forward to this - like an evening game and actually weather looks pleasant so won’t be freezing my balls off

Bit of a crucial game though - really want to start getting our noses in front of Rotherham

Similar team for me to last time, but Ejaria and Bod in if Oliveira isn’t fit for Aluko & one of the other wingers

Agree, probably McCleary seeing as Barrow may have learnt to defend. I'd be tempted to bring in Kelly for Baker... But I'm sticking to minimal changes being important still.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 Feb 2019 19:21

No idea what the team selection will be. The keeper and back line should pick itself, it looks solid now.
Just hope Swift is dropped and maybe Kelly given a start.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Feb 2019 22:13

Nelson Oliveira had stitches removed, looking well healed up, whether he is match fit is another matter.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Feb 2019 23:11

windermereROYAL Nelson Oliveira had stitches removed, looking well healed up, whether he is match fit is another matter.

Prtttttt!

In 1989 I was decapitated. Still turned out for my team the next day.

True, some say I ran round like a headless chicken, but...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Feb 2019 08:34

What is wrong with people? Wanting Liam Kelly to start? Wow.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Feb 2019 09:00

Old Man Andrews What is wrong with people? Wanting Liam Kelly to start? Wow.

have to agree with you on this one

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Feb 2019 09:38

Would say the back 5 picks itself, which after two clean sheets can only be a good thing.

Rhino in midfield and NO as striker, the rest are somewhat interchangeable.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Feb 2019 09:51

Hendo Would say the back 5 picks itself, which after two clean sheets can only be a good thing.

Rhino in midfield and NO as striker, the rest are somewhat interchangeable.

Yep agree with that as well. Though consistency of selection is important imo

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 12 Feb 2019 10:14

No changes for me, unless NO is fit, in which case bring him back for Aluko. Other than that, keep the same team, consistency of selection and the first choices all playing together will be key as we move forwards.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Feb 2019 11:02

Royals and Racers We have goals in the team- Barrow, Swift, McCleary. It`s about time these players started hitting the back of the net. Mcleary had a great chance in the 2nd half on Saturday and didn`t even test the keeper.

Saw a stat which said McCleary hasn't scored a goal in 47 league games, a truly embarrassing stat for a player that was finished two years ago

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Feb 2019 11:03

URZZZZ
Royals and Racers We have goals in the team- Barrow, Swift, McCleary. It`s about time these players started hitting the back of the net. Mcleary had a great chance in the 2nd half on Saturday and didn`t even test the keeper.

Saw a stat which said McCleary hasn't scored a goal in 47 league games, a truly embarrassing stat for a player that was finished two years ago

Well if he was in fact finished 2 years ago it isn't that embarrassing is it?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Feb 2019 11:08

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Well if he was in fact finished 2 years ago it isn't that embarrassing is it?

Even players that are well past their best can still chip in with goals and assists. Reality is he does neither and it's a massive hindrance to our goals scored tally considering Barrow, Aluko and Swift seem incapable of scoring either

197 posts