BFTG - Blackburn

246 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Blackburn

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2019 09:27

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth Oh by the way when Dack went down in the box and lay on the ball did it not go out of play? How did he play on after that?

Didn't go out of play, but pretty sure he handballed it.

That was going to be my second question.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Feb 2019 09:28

The only way those three are going to stay here is if we stay up, so we should probably worry about that first :D

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 14 Feb 2019 09:29

BTW, how shit were the Blackburn fans? Barely heard a peep from them all game, they got shown up by Club 1871

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 14 Feb 2019 09:33

NewCorkSeth
sandman Glad we got the win considering how hard we made it for ourselves in the first half. Much improved in the second half thanks to the manager's changes. Hopefully he's now realised that Swift and Kelly can't play in the same midfield, we need to play with proper width and square pegs (Richards) do not fit into round holes (left wing).

Martinez - distribution was a bit erratic, especially his pass straight to Blackburn in the second half. A couple of good saves. 6

Yiadom - One of the better performers first half and nice assist for Swift's goal. 7
Miazga - Very good. Best player in the first half. Solid and lead the team better than his captain. 8
Moore - Dire first half, better second. Wish he was as good at football as he is at pointing. 6
Blackett - Oh Tyler. Terrible in the first half. Got it together a bit in the second but not by much. Almost shanked the ball into the back of his own net. 4

Kelly - Didn't seem to get on the ball much but he was at least trying to close them down in the first half and (unpopular opinion time) was probably the best out of the midfielders in the first half, not that that is saying much. Can NOT play in the same midfield as Swift. 6
Swift - Goal masks how bad he was in the first half. Gave the ball away cheaply, getting knocked off it easily. Although did win the ball back a couple of times. Better in the second half and got an assist. 7
Aluko - Oh dear. Apparently Gomes has got him playing better but there was very little evidence of that last night. Rightly dragged off at HT. 5
Ejaria - much better in the second half when he moved into the centre of the pitch. 6
Richards - Enthusiastic but poor out wide. 5

Oliveira - Class above anything we've had since Roberts. Great movement, hold up play and a brilliantly taken goal. 9 MotM

Subs: Meite - Forget the misses for a second, he was absolutely brilliant in the second half. Provided energy and width we didn't have in the first half and helped pin Blackburn back. Happy Oliveira spared his blushes. Would be an 8 or 9 but for the misses. 7

Bod - Held the ball up well at the end. Excellent tackle in their box. 6

Baker - Nothing of note apart from trying to play risky forward passes when it would have been wiser to hold the ball up at 2-1 up. 5

I'm pretty sure Baker used his body to block their final corner twice from going in then threw the ball into the stands to delay the next corner.

Is this the same Meite that missed two sitters and mostly responsible for their goal?? Great win but Meite (imo) is part of our problem having to rely on Bod And Meite to lead our line. Thank goodness for Olivera

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2019 09:34

So, that was an awful first half with an excellently timed goal and a better 2nd half that looked to end up falling the same way as so many other games this year.

However, we simply cannot underestimate the confidence boost this will give the team for the run in. We are now 4 undefeated and have finally seen out a tight game - not only that but we have been hit by a late sucker punch and instead of wilting and trying to claw on to a draw, the team got back on the front foot and turned 1 point into 3. There now seems to be a defensive solidity we have missed since the play off season and we could have scored another goal or two with a but more composure.

It was not a great performance but the way in which we won it made it a great night.

With Rotherham playing before us at the weekend, we can go into the game at Brammall Lane as a complete free-hit knowing worst case is a Rotherham win/Reading defeat putting us in a position where we will be 2 points back with Rotherham up next.

We'd all take a draw this weekend now and the crazy thing is, if neither Rotherham or Bolton win - beating Rotherham next weekend could start to open up a gap. Mad how quickly things could change.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2019 09:35

NewCorkSeth
Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth Oh by the way when Dack went down in the box and lay on the ball did it not go out of play? How did he play on after that?

Didn't go out of play, but pretty sure he handballed it.

That was going to be my second question.

Think he just lay on the ball - so arguably obstruction. Think we got a little lucky on that situation, Kelly definitely stepped on Dack's foot but he threw himself down like he'd be shot.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2019 09:35

paddy20
NewCorkSeth
sandman Glad we got the win considering how hard we made it for ourselves in the first half. Much improved in the second half thanks to the manager's changes. Hopefully he's now realised that Swift and Kelly can't play in the same midfield, we need to play with proper width and square pegs (Richards) do not fit into round holes (left wing).

Martinez - distribution was a bit erratic, especially his pass straight to Blackburn in the second half. A couple of good saves. 6

Yiadom - One of the better performers first half and nice assist for Swift's goal. 7
Miazga - Very good. Best player in the first half. Solid and lead the team better than his captain. 8
Moore - Dire first half, better second. Wish he was as good at football as he is at pointing. 6
Blackett - Oh Tyler. Terrible in the first half. Got it together a bit in the second but not by much. Almost shanked the ball into the back of his own net. 4

Kelly - Didn't seem to get on the ball much but he was at least trying to close them down in the first half and (unpopular opinion time) was probably the best out of the midfielders in the first half, not that that is saying much. Can NOT play in the same midfield as Swift. 6
Swift - Goal masks how bad he was in the first half. Gave the ball away cheaply, getting knocked off it easily. Although did win the ball back a couple of times. Better in the second half and got an assist. 7
Aluko - Oh dear. Apparently Gomes has got him playing better but there was very little evidence of that last night. Rightly dragged off at HT. 5
Ejaria - much better in the second half when he moved into the centre of the pitch. 6
Richards - Enthusiastic but poor out wide. 5

Oliveira - Class above anything we've had since Roberts. Great movement, hold up play and a brilliantly taken goal. 9 MotM

Subs: Meite - Forget the misses for a second, he was absolutely brilliant in the second half. Provided energy and width we didn't have in the first half and helped pin Blackburn back. Happy Oliveira spared his blushes. Would be an 8 or 9 but for the misses. 7

Bod - Held the ball up well at the end. Excellent tackle in their box. 6

Baker - Nothing of note apart from trying to play risky forward passes when it would have been wiser to hold the ball up at 2-1 up. 5

I'm pretty sure Baker used his body to block their final corner twice from going in then threw the ball into the stands to delay the next corner.

Is this the same Meite that missed two sitters and mostly responsible for their goal?? Great win but Meite (imo) is part of our problem having to rely on Bod And Meite to lead our line. Thank goodness for Olivera

Are you sure you quoted the correct post here?? That has nothing to do with what I said...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Feb 2019 09:40

Whenever hear of clubs having ‘options’ on players I wonder what that means.
Is it contractual ? Ie you can have this player for £x and his wages will be £y. Does it compel the player to move ?
Or if the selling club gets a better offer can they accept it ? Or if the player doesn’t fancy the move or the terms can they decline the move ?
My gut feel is it’s a bit of a meaningless phrase, anyone know if it is a more solid arrangement ?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2019 09:43

Nameless Whenever hear of clubs having ‘options’ on players I wonder what that means.
Is it contractual ? Ie you can have this player for £x and his wages will be £y. Does it compel the player to move ?
Or if the selling club gets a better offer can they accept it ? Or if the player doesn’t fancy the move or the terms can they decline the move ?
My gut feel is it’s a bit of a meaningless phrase, anyone know if it is a more solid arrangement ?

It's usually a set price that they have to accept as a bid if it's made. Yes they can accept other offers and no the player doesn't have to go.

traff

by traff » 14 Feb 2019 09:44

Special mention for the ref who was spectacularly shit, quite how Dack escaped a booking for a pathetic dive followed by him grabbing the ball, the ref played on :roll: as if hand ball was OK.

The level of refereeing this season has been atrocious as some of our play but this guy was truly shocking!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Feb 2019 09:46

traff Special mention for the ref who was spectacularly shit, quite how Dack escaped a booking for a pathetic dive followed by him grabbing the ball, the ref played on :roll: as if hand ball was OK.

The level of refereeing this season has been atrocious as some of our play but this guy was truly shocking!

yeah he was unbelievably bad. The Dack dive, that handball on the wing that got missed.

Obvs theres always bias at play, but he seemed to continuously give Blackburn soft fouls - either relieving the pressure or giving them a set piece opportunity, and waving away the same for us

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Feb 2019 09:46

traff Special mention for the ref who was spectacularly shit, quite how Dack escaped a booking for a pathetic dive followed by him grabbing the ball, the ref played on :roll: as if hand ball was OK.

We keep getting that ref too! Steve Martin is a terrible referee who clearly doesn't understand the rules of football. He is certainly no David Coote.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 14 Feb 2019 09:47

Am I the only one who thought Meite was utter shit and could have cost us the game by missing two sitters and losing his man for the goal?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Feb 2019 09:49

Theroyalbox Am I the only one who thought Meite was utter shit and could have cost us the game by missing two sitters and losing his man for the goal?

I won't ever really blame a striker for missing, it happens. I'd be more concerned if they weren't getting chances at all and hiding, he could have easily done that. Could have been in a sulk for not getting much game time etc but I thought he really tried to be positive and make things happen.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Feb 2019 09:51

Theroyalbox Am I the only one who thought Meite was utter shit and could have cost us the game by missing two sitters and losing his man for the goal?

Pretty much, apart from the misses he did well in the 2nd half, getting stuck in and running at players.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 14 Feb 2019 09:54

NewCorkSeth
Nameless Whenever hear of clubs having ‘options’ on players I wonder what that means.

It's usually a set price that they have to accept as a bid if it's made. Yes they can accept other offers and no the player doesn't have to go.

So we agree a price of £5 million for Oliviera, he scores 10 goals to keep,us up, we ring them up to get their bank details to make payment and not only find that Stoke have had a bid of £5 million and 50p accepted but Oliviera has decided he’d rather go and play in Spain so woukdn’t Have joined anyway.
Presumably we could up our offer and tell Oliviera we REALLY like him but the ‘option’ seems very weak.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Feb 2019 09:58

Nameless
NewCorkSeth

So we agree a price of £5 million for Oliviera, he scores 10 goals to keep,us up, we ring them up to get their bank details to make payment and not only find that Stoke have had a bid of £5 million and 50p accepted but Oliviera has decided he’d rather go and play in Spain so woukdn’t Have joined anyway.
Presumably we could up our offer and tell Oliviera we REALLY like him but the ‘option’ seems very weak.

Nobody really knows the terms - it could well be a "loan to buy" - i.e. he is essentially already our player as it is already agreed that he'll join permanently in the summer for X million on Y per week with the stipulation we stay in the Championship.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2019 09:58

Poor 1st half yesterday (which is not a radical opinion) worse than Swansea for me.

Second half was much better. As others have said, Meite changed the game, he was direct, strong and willing to take on his man. The first miss was a shocker and the second one was a bit harder as he was under pressure from the defender, but I was pleased with his performance overall and he sparked the crowd into life.

Martinez is our best 'keeper since Marcus, just no question about it for me (although he could've done a bit better with the goal).

Miazga is oxf*rd class as well, confident, strong and good in the air.

And Nelson, boy oh boy, what can you say, what a class act. I thought the effort in the 1st half was in and as soon as he made the defender slip/stumble only one thing was happening. What a guy.

Overall excellent win and the confidence is growing. Saturday is a bit of a free-hit, Sheff Wed have the ability to beat Rotherham so you never know. A win last night certainly eases the pressure on Saturday and as long as we put in a decent performance to keep confidence levels high, I can't see any reason why we can't take 9 points from the 3 games following.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2019 09:59

Nameless
NewCorkSeth

They would have to accept both bids and we would have a better chance due to the fact he is with us on loan. We get to make him feel important. It's a smart system. It also means if he scores 20 goals they can't ask us for 10 million.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Feb 2019 10:03

Hendo Poor 1st half yesterday (which is not a radical opinion) worse than Swansea for me.

Can you please explain this? We were 1-0 down after 2 minutes and 2-0 at half time? Defensively in the first half we were fantastic last night.

246 posts