MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by all or nothing

187 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Rotherham United (h) sponsored by all or nothing

by Hound » 23 Feb 2019 22:01

I’ve certainly not seen anything to make me change my mind that PC shouldn’t have been sacked when he was. But it’s long gone now

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Feb 2019 23:01

Hound I’ve certainly not seen anything to make me change my mind that PC shouldn’t have been sacked when he was. But it’s long gone now

The frustration though is the fact that many fans (mainly on Twitter admittedly) were so quick to criticise Clement & were convinced we’d be better off without him. The grass isn’t always greener is it. Only the most deluded of fans believed we weren’t in a relegation battle at the onset of the season. We all knew it was a process - a process Clement was on his way to sorting out. Granted, mistakes were made, some of his recruitment was disappointing, and his reluctance to play the same team from one week to another. Having said that, we were scoring & fighting.
I’m not saying it’s much worse now; but we effectively went back a few months by taking a big risk in appointing a manager who didn’t know the league & had to make squad changes.

Was the decision made due to fan disapproval? Not necessarily. But were fans too quick to judge him? 100% yes. And did it hack me off? 100% yes

Bit of a rant there haha

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 23 Feb 2019 23:02

Hound I’ve certainly not seen anything to make me change my mind that PC shouldn’t have been sacked when he was. But it’s long gone now

The frustration though is the fact that many fans (mainly on Twitter admittedly) were so quick to criticise Clement & were convinced we’d be better off without him. The grass isn’t always greener is it. Only the most deluded of fans believed we weren’t in a relegation battle at the onset of the season. We all knew it was a process - a process Clement was on his way to sorting out. Granted, mistakes were made, some of his recruitment was disappointing, and his reluctance to play the same team from one week to another. Having said that, we were scoring & fighting.
I’m not saying it’s much worse now; but we effectively went back a few months by taking a big risk in appointing a manager who didn’t know the league & had to make squad changes.

Was the decision made due to fan disapproval? Not necessarily. But were fans too quick to judge him? 100% yes. And did it hack me off? 100% yes

Bit of a rant there haha

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Feb 2019 01:31

Notts Royal

Bit of a rant there haha

Sorry hound I like you as a poster but Clement was utterly clueless. We went backwards as a team. We were shit under Clement.

Shit.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2019 08:29

Yep. Gomes at least hasn't made a lot of mistakes, but the few he has have been clangers and he needs to do better.

Do you see his style working in League One with players with even less good technique?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Feb 2019 09:58

NewCorkSeth Ah well. Shame. Next time you're in Paris and we are playing Rovrum give me a shout.

I suspect we will play Rotherham sooner than I will be in Paris again. Went for New Years with an ex a couple of years ago and wasn’t particularly impressed. Maybe it was the ex though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2019 10:08

Snowflake Royal

Yep. Gomes at least hasn't made a lot of mistakes, but the few he has have been clangers and he needs to do better.

Do you see his style working in League One with players with even less good technique?

I do actually. I’d be pretty confident of coming back up with him in charge. But it’d obviously massively depend on who was still here and who we signed

I’m a little surprised that the main issue I find with him is how negative he can be. Not what I was expecting at all. The O Shea sub yesterday - can see the reasoning and 15 mins later might not have been a bad sub to make. But it sent out totally the wrong message with 30 mins to play. Was a big error

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2019 10:13

Hound
Snowflake Royal

I do actually. I’d be pretty confident of coming back up with him in charge. But it’d obviously massively depend on who was still here and who we signed

I’m a little surprised that the main issue I find with him is how negative he can be. Not what I was expecting at all. The O Shea sub yesterday - can see the reasoning and 15 mins later might not have been a bad sub to make. But it sent out totally the wrong message with 30 mins to play. Was a big error

I've seen a few people say it was with 30 to go. He came on at 71, so it's 20, which is less bad but still too early.

I think his football would just get nowhere in League One, but fair enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2019 10:48

Yeah was rounding up, prob a little aggressively - was thinking 70 mins, so 20+ the inevitable 4/5 injury time

Either way, far too early

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Feb 2019 12:56

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth Ah well. Shame. Next time you're in Paris and we are playing Rovrum give me a shout.

I suspect we will play Rotherham sooner than I will be in Paris again. Went for New Years with an ex a couple of years ago and wasn’t particularly impressed. Maybe it was the ex though.

Ah it's alright here. The women are nice to look at. Not great to talk to but that's not important.

Was the ex as impressive as Rotherham?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 24 Feb 2019 19:09

leon
Notts Royal

Bit of a rant there haha

Sorry hound I like you as a poster but Clement was utterly clueless. We went backwards as a team. We were shit under Clement.

Shit.

100ish games and 3 clubs was the evidence to support your comments. He was utterly hopeless......if he had had any more transfer windows he would have bought in even more shit.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Feb 2019 19:12

He wouldn't because, like Gomes, he would have had a super agent to bring them all in for him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Feb 2019 20:12

I don’t think saying PC did a poor job but still shouldn’t have been sacked when he was are contradictory

I won’t look back on his time with any fondness but I did feel he was starting to get to grips with the task and a system which was getting some sort of results. It wasn’t panic stations when he was sacked, we were much the same as we are now

It’s created a big upheaval which I don’t think has been beneficial. Still as Ian said, we’ll never know whether he’d have taken us down or not

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Feb 2019 20:32

Must admit I thought Meite was subbed after 60 minutes. Either way it was a poor substitution and sent a clear message to Rotherham that we were looking to hold on for the win. It was obvious anyway with so few players pushing forward for free kicks.

I hope Gomes is far more positive going forward.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Feb 2019 20:36

Hound I don’t think saying PC did a poor job but still shouldn’t have been sacked when he was are contradictory

I won’t look back on his time with any fondness but I did feel he was starting to get to grips with the task and a system which was getting some sort of results. It wasn’t panic stations when he was sacked, we were much the same as we are now

It’s created a big upheaval which I don’t think has been beneficial. Still as Ian said, we’ll never know whether he’d have taken us down or not

My son would agree with you. Not sure I would. We were outside the relegation zone on goal difference when he was sacked so we are in exactly the same position.After a dreadful summer transfer window I had no faith in Clement getting it right in January. For all his apparent contacts in the game he didn’t seem able to attract quality players to the club.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Feb 2019 20:52

Someone on here made the good point that the successful teams in this division get the ball moving forward quickly. We don’t. On the rare occasions we do get upfield quickly we look good. Yesterday’s goal being a case in point where Swift passes out wide. The ball is then progressed to McCleary who attacks the byline and pulls it back to Ejaria. Sadly we rarely do this with our centre backs often lumbering forward with the ball to little effect.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 25 Feb 2019 04:10

windermereROYAL
JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo thanks

Prick.

thanks

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Feb 2019 07:36

Zip Someone on here made the good point that the successful teams in this division get the ball moving forward quickly. We don’t. On the rare occasions we do get upfield quickly we look good. Yesterday’s goal being a case in point where Swift passes out wide. The ball is then progressed to McCleary who attacks the byline and pulls it back to Ejaria. Sadly we rarely do this with our centre backs often lumbering forward with the ball to little effect.

Yeah. That superb move was uncharacteristic in so many ways. Martinez going longer than usual to Yiadom rathrr than Moore / Miazga / a deep midfielder, Swift quickly apraying the ball wide toBlackett rather than taking someone on or passing into congested midfield, Blackett playing a firm first time pass straight up the wing...

Its the ideal of what Stam and Gomes want but it happens about once every 5 games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Feb 2019 07:56

Both Martinez and Baker hit a couple of lovely quick long passes out to the wings

Again shame it happened all to rarely

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Feb 2019 10:28

Hound Yeah was rounding up, prob a little aggressively - was thinking 70 mins, so 20+ the inevitable 4/5 injury time

Either way, far too early

Problem No:1 As Gomes alluded to in his press conference, the players were sitting back of their own volition , it certainly wasn't a tactic. Given that Rotherham's main threat was aerial (which is a fact not an insult so I've no idea why Warne got so sniffy about the comments) then it stands to reason in the more desperate search for an equaliser that would only intensify. Which it did. Makes sense to bring on added height in those circumstances. It's not as if having O'shea on the pitch stifled us from creating anything as we had more chances in the last 15-20 mins than the rest of the game.

Problem No:2 Unfortunately O'Shea was utter utter shite.

187 posts