Sone Aluko to China!

233 posts
Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sone Aluko to China!

by Jagermesiter1871 » 06 Mar 2019 17:14

CountryRoyal
106Royal I'm a ST holder out here for Renhe so will keep those who care posted!

Like above said, made debut last Friday, mirrored his performances for Reading, a couple of decent flashes but largely ineffective otherwise.

Beijing derby game after next, lets see if he can handle the pressure :lol:

Thanks for the update but I reckon I speak for most Reading fans when I say don’t bother, I honestly don’t and won’t care what happens to him, I’m just glad he’s not our problem at the moment.

Disagree - I'd like to hear and its interesting to have insight from a very different football league.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 Mar 2019 17:37

Jagermesiter1871
CountryRoyal

Like above said, made debut last Friday, mirrored his performances for Reading, a couple of decent flashes but largely ineffective otherwise.

Thanks for the update but I reckon I speak for most Reading fans when I say don’t bother, I honestly don’t and won’t care what happens to him, I’m just glad he’s not our problem at the moment.

Disagree - I'd like to hear and its interesting to have insight from a very different football league.

Yes, definitely interested in updates.
We have a huge stake in how he does in China. If he suddenly finds form we either get a better player back or we have a saleable asset on our hands. If he flops then we have a major issue until his contract expires. Good to get a feel for which outcome is more likely.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2019 17:46

Yep exactly. Still has 18 months on his contract when he comes back. Sounds like it is very important that we don’t end up paying that

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Mar 2019 18:23

He's not a bad player at all in contrast to what most people think. If you use a player in a system that they're not used to/not what they're suited to, what do you expect? There are too many "flops" here who have gone on to have better and successful careers elsewhere for it not to be a coincidence. Notice on the flip side, most people who have succeeded here never found their feet elsewhere as well

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 06 Mar 2019 19:13

Nameless
Jagermesiter1871
CountryRoyal

Yes, definitely interested in updates.
We have a huge stake in how he does in China. If he suddenly finds form we either get a better player back or we have a saleable asset on our hands. If he flops then we have a major issue until his contract expires. Good to get a feel for which outcome is more likely.

agreed, updates will be of interest to most fans so keep them coming pls.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2019 20:24

URZZZZ He's not a bad player at all in contrast to what most people think. If you use a player in a system that they're not used to/not what they're suited to, what do you expect? There are too many "flops" here who have gone on to have better and successful careers elsewhere for it not to be a coincidence. Notice on the flip side, most people who have succeeded here never found their feet elsewhere as well

I think his star only shined sporadically elsewhere before here. We massively and horrendously overpaid for a player of a quality we could have picked up on a free (as Fulham did 12 months previously)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Mar 2019 20:40

Hound
URZZZZ He's not a bad player at all in contrast to what most people think. If you use a player in a system that they're not used to/not what they're suited to, what do you expect? There are too many "flops" here who have gone on to have better and successful careers elsewhere for it not to be a coincidence. Notice on the flip side, most people who have succeeded here never found their feet elsewhere as well

I think his star only shined sporadically elsewhere before here. We massively and horrendously overpaid for a player of a quality we could have picked up on a free (as Fulham did 12 months previously)

That's the reality of modern football though. Players are too expensive, and Fulham were never going to sell one of their key players to what they thought was a promotion rival on the cheap, especially as Jaap rated him so highly (no idea why considering he didn't know how to use him)

I *think he shined for Hull in the championship as well but picked up an injury in the Prem and never properly recovered from it, hence why he was released and Fulham picked him up on a free?

Was Aluko a good investment from us, absolutely not. But is he as bad as most suggest, again absolutely not

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Mar 2019 20:42

Yeah he isn’t a ‘bad’ player. Just massively overpriced and played in a system that didn’t suit. Basically a complete failure of management

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2019 20:59

At best he's bang average.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 06 Mar 2019 21:50

The odd thing is he started to look rather useful under Gomes - in fact, remember some saying he should’ve been in the No.10 position ahead of Swift.

So it has to be a decision made on the basis of FFP surely

The fact he infuriatingly kept moving into the middle of the park (when he was put on the wing) indicates that maybe we didn’t get the best out of him due to our tactics. Having said that, we should never have spunked even half of that transfer fee on him in the first place.

One thing for sure though, some of the criticism from certain fans was disgusting. Its not his fault we were stupid enough to spend all that money on him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Mar 2019 22:20

Notts Royal The odd thing is he started to look rather useful under Gomes - in fact, remember some saying he should’ve been in the No.10 position ahead of Swift.

The fact he infuriatingly kept moving into the middle of the park (when he was put on the wing) indicates that maybe we didn’t get the best out of him due to our tactics. Having said that, we should never have spunked even half of that transfer fee on him in the first place.

One thing for sure though, some of the criticism from certain fans was disgusting. Its not his fault we were stupid enough to spend all that money on him

It is his fault on what he negotiated in his contract and how badly he played though.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Mar 2019 00:25

Jagermesiter1871
CountryRoyal

What’s ‘very different’ about the Chinese league? Haven’t followed it closely myself.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Mar 2019 00:43

Ok well I’ll just go fcuk myself then. :lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Mar 2019 03:24

CountryRoyal Ok well I’ll just go fcuk myself then. :lol:

video?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 07 Mar 2019 09:23

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal The odd thing is he started to look rather useful under Gomes - in fact, remember some saying he should’ve been in the No.10 position ahead of Swift.

It is his fault on what he negotiated in his contract and how badly he played though.

Was it Lewis Grabban’s fault he didn’t scores many goals for us when we stuck him out on the wing? Not really...it was Stam’s fault for being tactically naive

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 07 Mar 2019 09:27

Snowflake Royal

Neither of those are really entirely true .

If his salary was excessive that’s the club’s fault. They didn’t have to pay it. Presumably the transfer fee was Fulham’s fault rather than our’s ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Mar 2019 09:35

I don't think for one minute he put as much effort in as he should. He constantly wandered around looking lost. He is certainly to blame for some of his own poor form

The fee is nothing to do with him. And obvs he is going to be asking as much as possible for his wage, Gourlay's idiot fault for paying it over a ridiculous 4 year deal

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Mar 2019 09:58

Snowball
CountryRoyal Ok well I’ll just go fcuk myself then. :lol:

video?

Cheeky. X

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Mar 2019 17:38

Nameless
Snowflake Royal

If his salary was excessive that’s the club’s fault. They didn’t have to pay it. Presumably the transfer fee was Fulham’s fault rather than our’s ?

Ive never said we werent at fault in signing him,paying that much or agreeing his contract. But its not like we forced him to have that particular contract.

Im not accepting that Notts suggestion Stam and Clement are to blame for his atrocious performances either. Yeah, they didnt help. But hes the guy on the pitch making continual dreadful decisions, giving the ball away and playing the position he was given (hardly a massive departure from his normal game either) incredibly badly.

oxf*rd anyone making excuses for the waste of space.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Mar 2019 17:59

Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Snowflake Royal It is his fault on what he negotiated in his contract and how badly he played though.

Ive never said we werent at fault in signing him,paying that much or agreeing his contract. But its not like we forced him to have that particular contract.

Im not accepting that Notts suggestion Stam and Clement are to blame for his atrocious performances either. Yeah, they didnt help. But hes the guy on the pitch making continual dreadful decisions, giving the ball away and playing the position he was given (hardly a massive departure from his normal game either) incredibly badly.

oxf*rd anyone making excuses for the waste of space.

This argument could go on for days but the borderline fact is it was a ridiculous signing - and I knew it at the time whilst 95% of people were waxing lyrical about how we were getting promotion. Simple fact is he is not a 4-3-3 player and I could have told you that at the time

It's not making excuses. It's like hiring a French teacher and getting them to teach Spanish instead. Yeah, the roles are similar enough but you're never going to excel in something you're not as good at

Also at the time we already had about 5 "wingers" compared to 1 striker. Splashing the cash on Nelson would have been a lot more beneficial but what's happened has happened

233 posts