Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: SPECULATION - Danny Williams

by Denver Royal » 28 Mar 2019 11:25

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
John Smith Top 10

ROFL.

Kitson, Doyle, Sigurdsson, Kebe, Little, Sidwell, Harper, Gunnarsson, Shaka, Hahnemann, Wdowczyk, Ingimarsson, Convey, Osborn, McAnuff, Long, A Williams, Gooding, S Taylor, Sonko, Harte, Griffin, Leigertwood, Gorkss, Pearce, J Quinn, Murty, Bernal, Cureton, Forster...

I could go on.

I'll concede he might squeek in to a top 10 midfielders if wingers don't count. Didn't see enough of Taylor and Osborn to know whether to count them as wingers or midfielders

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

Nice touch to put Jerry Williams at 12. :wink:

There's also players like Gilkes, Beavon and Bowman and I'd put Kevin Bremner in there and Scott Taylor. Osborn was a fantastic player but I feel it needs more than a season at the club to warrant inclusion but no, he wasn't a winger

Taylor was at his best playing wide in a midfield 3 in a system that utilised wing backs. I wouldn't strictly class him as a winger although he could play there.

I would class John Smith as a bit of a fool though

Yep, and McAnuff played some in midfield, but more a winger.
Bit surprised Lawrie Sanchez didn't make the list?

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 28 Mar 2019 12:08

Denver Royal
From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal ROFL.

Kitson, Doyle, Sigurdsson, Kebe, Little, Sidwell, Harper, Gunnarsson, Shaka, Hahnemann, Wdowczyk, Ingimarsson, Convey, Osborn, McAnuff, Long, A Williams, Gooding, S Taylor, Sonko, Harte, Griffin, Leigertwood, Gorkss, Pearce, J Quinn, Murty, Bernal, Cureton, Forster...

I could go on.

I'll concede he might squeek in to a top 10 midfielders if wingers don't count. Didn't see enough of Taylor and Osborn to know whether to count them as wingers or midfielders

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

There's also players like Gilkes, Beavon and Bowman and I'd put Kevin Bremner in there and Scott Taylor. Osborn was a fantastic player but I feel it needs more than a season at the club to warrant inclusion but no, he wasn't a winger

Taylor was at his best playing wide in a midfield 3 in a system that utilised wing backs. I wouldn't strictly class him as a winger although he could play there.

Er, Neil Webb? England International........

under the tin

by under the tin » 28 Mar 2019 12:12

Denver Royal
From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal ROFL.

I could go on.

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

Glad someone else remembers the clockwork mouse...
How about Neil Webb?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Mar 2019 12:36

Only included players I've seen live more than once.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 28 Mar 2019 12:54

Snowflake Royal Only included players I've seen live more than once.

Didn't know they were dead, tbh.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 29 Mar 2019 12:26

Glad someone mentioned Richie Bowman... every time I saw him play he looked a class above pretty much everyone else on the pitch...

Really good player

Also Webb was absolute class when he broke through into our first team, was such a shame when we sold him to Portsmouth... He just looked like the game was so easy to him... it was no surprise to me that he went onto play for England.

Webb and Gylfi are the two best young midfielders I have seen come through in my time watching Reading by a mile!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Apr 2019 14:51

From Despair To Where? I would class John Smith as a bit of a fool though

Anybody who thinks Parkinson had a quarter of the ability of Williams is a fool.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Apr 2019 15:25

Ability is immaterial really. Parky nay not have been technically brilliant, but he performed the role he was in the team for perfectly.

I'd argue he's the most effective defensive midfielder I've seen for us. Maybe pipped by Leigertwood.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 Apr 2019 16:07

Snowflake Royal Ability is immaterial really. Parky nay not have been technically brilliant, but he performed the role he was in the team for perfectly.

I'd argue he's the most effective defensive midfielder I've seen for us. Maybe pipped by Leigertwood.

I have to disagree. I have spoken to former teamates of his who have, and I quote, refer to him as "shit".

Anyone who thinks of him as being anything more than a cult hero is a nostalgic dreamer. We were a Div 2 team back then. Williams is Premier League quality.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Apr 2019 16:42

John Smith
From Despair To Where? I would class John Smith as a bit of a fool though

Anybody who thinks Parkinson had a quarter of the ability of Williams is a fool.

It's not about ability, it's about what they bring to the team.

If you'd said that technically, Williams was in the top ten all time, you may have had an case but even that is debateable.

Parkinson played in the heart of one of our most technically gifted teams under McGhee.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Apr 2019 17:20

John Smith
Snowflake Royal Ability is immaterial really. Parky nay not have been technically brilliant, but he performed the role he was in the team for perfectly.

I have to disagree. I have spoken to former teamates of his who have, and I quote, refer to him as "shit".

Anyone who thinks of him as being anything more than a cult hero is a nostalgic dreamer. We were a Div 2 team back then. Williams is Premier League quality.

Footballers are often thick as pig shite and I don't believe a word you say.

Your judgement is terrible too given you think Williams is one of our ten best ever players.

Parky played several Division One seasons FYI.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Apr 2019 18:51

John Smith I have spoken to former teamates of Parky who have, and I quote, refer to him as "shit".

These players that you've spoken with, were they 'better' than Parky? Did they play in more games than him?
I suppose they could still voice their opinions regardless, but just curious.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Apr 2019 19:41

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Maneki Neko
"one of" is pretty vague
how many are in your list of best players, total?

Top 10

ROFL.

I could go on.

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

Jay Tabb? Are you having a laugh? From what I remember in the few games he played he ran around like a headless chicken for 90 mins

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Apr 2019 20:01

...and yet was one of the few worthy players of pitch-side time before his release in our Prem relegation season nightmare.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 01 Apr 2019 20:50

Some 90s memories...

Kevin Dillon, Tom Jones

...and a player that divided opinion, Marek Matejovski

And who can forget Andy Hughes, Lesley Taylor and Karl Elsey

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Apr 2019 23:32

John Smith

Danny Williams is not a Premier League quality player (unless the game so happened to be televised). What a load of garbage. He's an average to good championship player but certainly no more

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Apr 2019 07:24

URZZZZ
John Smith

Danny Williams is not a Premier League quality player (unless the game so happened to be televised). What a load of garbage. He's an average to good championship player but certainly no more

I am not sure you are qualified to judge a player based upon your recent Meite embrarrassment :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Danny Williams is clearly a Premier League player but lacks the fitness to ever make it at the top level, nothing to do with his ability. Keep up the good work.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Apr 2019 07:26

He's really not.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Apr 2019 07:31

Snowflake Royal He's really not.

You're in a world you know nothing about Ian. Judging a footballers ability is something you actually need to be trained to do and have experience in. Helps if you have multiple qualifications in that field too, kinda like I have. Back down.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Apr 2019 09:09

Mr Optimist And who can forget Andy Hughes, Lesley Taylor and Karl Elsey

Wish I could.