SPECULATION - Danny Williams

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SPECULATION - Danny Williams

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Apr 2019 09:58

Andy Hughes gets a lot of unfair stick IMO. For a couple of seasons when he was played in an advanced central role and just allowed to run around like the Duracel bunny, creating havoc, he was excellent. It was when we started playing him out of position on the wing or as a wing/full back and he needed to concentrate for more than 30 seconds that it all went to shit.

Still, God bless Nicky Hammond and thank you for the £500,000, Norwich.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Apr 2019 10:07

From Despair To Where? Andy Hughes gets a lot of unfair stick IMO. For a couple of seasons when he was played in an advanced central role and just allowed to run around like the Duracel bunny, creating havoc, he was excellent. It was when we started playing him out of position on the wing or as a wing/full back and he needed to concentrate for more than 30 seconds that it all went to shit.

Still, God bless Nicky Hammond and thank you for the £500,000, Norwich.

+1 I remember when he played behind Forster under Pardew and he was excellent.

Shame he couldn't do it in any other position.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Apr 2019 10:15

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal He's really not.

You're in a world you know nothing about Ian. Judging a footballers ability is something you actually need to be trained to do and have experience in. Helps if you have multiple qualifications in that field too, kinda like I have. Back down.

Sorry, I reject your appeals to authority as bullshit.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Apr 2019 10:18

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal He's really not.

You're in a world you know nothing about Ian. Judging a footballers ability is something you actually need to be trained to do and have experience in. Helps if you have multiple qualifications in that field too, kinda like I have. Back down.

Sorry, I reject your appeals to authority as bullshit.

Thats fair enough, that is your right but you can't say Danny Williams isn't top level quality thats just silly. I accept he won't make it at that level due to his injuries though.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 02 Apr 2019 10:32

Over 50 Bundesliga appearances also supports the "not shit" argument.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Apr 2019 10:38

He was doing alright for Huddersfield until the ankle injury.

Basically been out for 18 months now, who knows whether he could still cut it

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 02 Apr 2019 10:49

He was great on his day...but not consistent enough. Nowhere near as consistent as Rino, so no let’s not take him back

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 02 Apr 2019 12:34

Notts Royal He was great on his day...but not consistent enough. Nowhere near as consistent as Rino, so no let’s not take him back

This.

Also feel that Williams falls into the category of "will hold their own" in a PL team, without necessarily improving that team. But at Championship level he should improve a team - and do that consistently.

I guess what I mean is, in any team you have key players that improve the team by their presence - but unless you are a big club for your league, you aren't going to be able to afford that many of those. So if the rest of your first team is made up of players who will hold their own - in conjunction with a few key players, you've got the makings of a decent team .

But if you are going to cough up for your smattering of key players, those players have absolutely got to be consistent, because there aren't that many of them. And that was the Williams problem for us - too many off days.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 02 Apr 2019 12:49

Platypuss
Mr Optimist And who can forget Andy Hughes, Lesley Taylor and Karl Elsey

Wish I could.

Bizarrely, a bit like an exgirlfriend where you only remember the good parts of the relationship and not the petty arguments and the fact she was a mentalist, I now look back on Andy Hughes and only remember the occasional 30 yard screamers he would very occasionally score to make you reassess whether he actually was a professional footballer, but for Les Taylor (Simod cup final aside) and Karl Elsey, they have mostly been erased from my memory thankfully.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Apr 2019 14:03

Notts Royal Nowhere near as consistent as Rino

Rinomhota has played 19 senior games in his career. Williams played 135 at Reading alone. How can you begin to talk about consistency?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Apr 2019 14:22

John Smith
Maneki Neko
John Smith Danny Williams is one of the best players to have ever played for Reading; incredible industry, desire, aggression and determination. Anyone looking for faults clearly has ideas above our station.

The only thing stopping him coming here would be wages - he can go and grab a pick up an easy bumper contract in China or Turkey instead.

"one of" is pretty vague
how many are in your list of best players, total?

Top 10

If Williams is in your Top 10 best ever Reading players either your list doesn't go back very far or you are deluded.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Apr 2019 14:26

Snowflake Royal
John Smith
Maneki Neko
"one of" is pretty vague
how many are in your list of best players, total?

Top 10

ROFL.

Kitson, Doyle, Sigurdsson, Kebe, Little, Sidwell, Harper, Gunnarsson, Shaka, Hahnemann, Wdowczyk, Ingimarsson, Convey, Osborn, McAnuff, Long, A Williams, Gooding, S Taylor, Sonko, Harte, Griffin, Leigertwood, Gorkss, Pearce, J Quinn, Murty, Bernal, Cureton, Forster...

I could go on.

I'll concede he might squeek in to a top 10 midfielders if wingers don't count. Didn't see enough of Taylor and Osborn to know whether to count them as wingers or midfielders

1. Sig
2. Sid
3. Harps
4. Gooding
5. Gunnarsson
6. Leigertwood
7. Tabb
8. Karacan
9. Caskey
10. Parkinson
11. Rinomhota
12. Williams

Maybe not.

Osborne was generally a CM. One of the classiest players I've seen in a Reading shirt. Just natural passing ability and exceptional vision. He'd be in my top 5 Reading Midfielders.
Last edited by Tilehurstsouthbank on 02 Apr 2019 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 02 Apr 2019 14:30

John Smith
Snowflake Royal Williams is Premier League quality.

Is he Fcuk! He's top to mid Championship at best. His last season for us he played out of his skin, but barring that he was bang average for us the majority of the time.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Apr 2019 15:10

Notts Royal He was great on his day...but not consistent enough. Nowhere near as consistent as Rino, so no let’s not take him back

Yep, not consistent. Think we had wanted to re-sign him tho? Obv couldn't begrudge him wanting to play PL, but think we'd have kept him if we could have.
Lots of talent/ability, maybe not easiest player to manage. Felt he needs managing carefully to get most out of him (think Bacuna is a bit like that). Figure out what makes them tick, what keeps them motivated and focused, etc. In contrast, we were comparing him with Parky earlier in this thread, and reckon Parky didn't need any managing at all.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Apr 2019 17:38

Platypuss Over 50 Bundesliga appearances also supports the "not shit" argument.

I mean no one has said he's shit, but yeah. Although I imagine a lot of those appearances were getting relegated weren't they?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Apr 2019 17:40

Tilehurstsouthbank
John Smith
Snowflake Royal Williams is Premier League quality.

Is he Fcuk! He's top to mid Championship at best. His last season for us he played out of his skin, but barring that he was bang average for us the majority of the time.

Quote fail. I definitely didn't say that.

In the right team Williams might be adequate for a relegation threatened PL team. That's not really what I call Premier League quality though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Apr 2019 17:58

Snowflake Royal

I mean no one has said he's shit, but yeah. Although I imagine a lot of those appearances were getting relegated weren't they?

None of them were. Neither team he played for were relegated in his time there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Apr 2019 18:00

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal

Ok. Must be mixed up. I thought he came to us from someone who got relegated.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Apr 2019 18:02

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal I mean no one has said he's shit, but yeah. Although I imagine a lot of those appearances were getting relegated weren't they?

Ok. Must be mixed up. I thought he came to us from someone who got relegated.

It's not like its important anyway. I'm with you for the rest. Decent player, bottom of the premier league is about his level.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Apr 2019 20:37

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
John Smith I have to disagree. I have spoken to former teamates of his who have, and I quote, refer to him as "shit".

Anyone who thinks of him as being anything more than a cult hero is a nostalgic dreamer. We were a Div 2 team back then. Williams is Premier League quality.

Danny Williams is not a Premier League quality player (unless the game so happened to be televised). What a load of garbage. He's an average to good championship player but certainly no more

I am not sure you are qualified to judge a player based upon your recent Meite embrarrassment :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Danny Williams is clearly a Premier League player but lacks the fitness to ever make it at the top level, nothing to do with his ability. Keep up the good work.

:roll: you're beyond help