Swift to Leeds

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Swift to Leeds

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Apr 2019 10:22

£7mil for a 23 year old English attacking midfielder? That's oxf*rd all in today's market.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Apr 2019 10:45

Jagermesiter1871 £7mil for a 23 year old English attacking midfielder? That's oxf*rd all in today's market.

What an odd post. Would you value the Crawley Town attacking midfield at £8 million then?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Apr 2019 11:09

John Smith Anybody think we miss George Evans?

No.

Both Rhino and Baker are far better.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Apr 2019 11:54

John Smith
Jagermesiter1871 £7mil for a 23 year old English attacking midfielder? That's oxf*rd all in today's market.

What an odd post. Would you value the Crawley Town attacking midfield at £8 million then?

What an odd post. Would you value the Barton Rovers u11 attacking midfield at £28million then?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Apr 2019 11:55

Jagermesiter1871
John Smith

What an odd post. Would you value the Barton Rovers u11 attacking midfielder at £28million then?

Absolutely not, which is why your initial post was absolute drivel. As per.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Apr 2019 12:04

John Smith
Jagermesiter1871
John Smith What an odd post. Would you value the Crawley Town attacking midfield at £8 million then?

What an odd post. Would you value the Barton Rovers u11 attacking midfielder at £28million then?

What does the Crawley Town midfield have to do with anything?
The actual point at hand is Swift is a young English and former England youth International midfielder playing in the championship. You have players such as Sam Clucas, George Saville, Bobby Reid, josh Murphy and more who are older and about as proven and all whom have moved for more than £7million. Lewis Grabban went for not much short of £7million at 30 years old and that's not even mentioning our own Aluko. £7millon is little more than pittance these days.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Apr 2019 13:13

Jagermesiter1871
John Smith
Jagermesiter1871

The actual point at hand is Swift is a young English and former England youth International midfielder playing in the championship. You have players such as Sam Clucas, George Saville, Bobby Reid, josh Murphy and more who are older and about as proven and all whom have moved for more than £7million. Lewis Grabban went for not much short of £7million at 30 years old and that's not even mentioning our own Aluko. £7millon is little more than pittance these days.

Agreed, still think I'd accept an offer of £7 million, but people are acting strangely over the top over it, it's probably what he is worth in today's market

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 11 Apr 2019 14:08

URZZZZ
Jagermesiter1871
John Smith Absolutely not, which is why your initial post was absolute drivel. As per.

Agreed, still think I'd accept an offer of £7 million, but people are acting strangely over the top over it, it's probably what he is worth in today's market

Precisely this. You could certainly make a case for accepting it and, depending on if it meant we retained some loanees we wouldn't otherwise, I probably would. But to make out its some outlandish over the top offer we should snap their hands off for, I'd disagree. And knowing our history of spending we're just as likely to spend that 7million on someone half as good as swift and twice his age.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Apr 2019 19:02

Hendo Consistent player? Not since his injury

Which one.

I'd be happy for Baker to stay.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 11 Apr 2019 21:42

strap
Snowflake Royal
Royality creeps In

You know that people think you talk a load of shite.
Well I actually felt sorry for you.
I have now realised that they were right. :roll:

That's nice, thanks.

£7m? oxf*rd driving, I'll carry him there.

I saw that! Kind of sorts out our FFP issues for next season at a guess.

Ok, so is RFC's problem with FFP solely down to the combination of a number of high player wages and low gate revenue or does it also cover transfer fees? I had figured that the sale to the the siblings got the debt off our books so I cannot understand if FFP also covers transfer fees. A simple explanation would be much appreciated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Apr 2019 06:50

PremAddict
strap
Snowflake Royal That's nice, thanks.

£7m? oxf*rd driving, I'll carry him there.

I saw that! Kind of sorts out our FFP issues for next season at a guess.

Ok, so is RFC's problem with FFP solely down to the combination of a number of high player wages and low gate revenue or does it also cover transfer fees? I had figured that the sale to the the siblings got the debt off our books so I cannot understand if FFP also covers transfer fees. A simple explanation would be much appreciated.

It covers income vs spending and is to prevent excessive losses, so yeah it covers transfer fees.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Apr 2019 07:38

You can offset some costs from the FFP equations so Academy spending, ground improvements and other stuff I can’t recall are removed.
Would be utterly bizarre if transfer spending wasn’t part of the equation given it’s probably in the top 2 reasons why clubs get 8nto financial trouble !

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 12 Apr 2019 09:31

We all worry about FFP but Ilori and Bacunas sale must have helped and I would hope that atleast half of the percentacge of wage we are paying our loanees is also being covered by the player we are loaning out and the destruction of the contract of David Edwards. we also have removed a descent earner at the beginning of the season in Quinn. Yes there is some dead weight still to remove and we will also lose another large earner in Mcshane. We will offload some of the dead weight aswell expect to see Meyler, Aluko and potentially another one of our better players sold like Swift to help fund things. (personally hope it is not swift as i would love to see a season with Baker, Rinhomota and swift play together there is a good mix there )

I don't think things are that bad but we need to be wary of FFP. I think we may see some experienced but in expensive free transfers come in. the likes of Beevers from Bolton springs to mind, Knudson and Spence aswell from Ipswich. They are not bad players just in terrible sides and not on massive contracts. I can also see a couple of loans coming in the same. Might see Miazga on a full season and Ejaria. could see us buying Oliveira and Baker with the pennys we do have and a Goalkeeper (Would love Martinez and would also take Martinez on a season long but unlikely.)

What I really dont want though is wholesale changes in the core as we have a good feeling again and a good feeling amongst the squad that needs to be kept going into next season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Apr 2019 09:37

yeah agree if we stay up, no major changes. We should look in a lot healthier state when we lose all of those OoC (except Harriott maybe). If we could offload Kelly, Meyler and Aluko, that would be a major bonus - 3 big earners I suspect - but I reckon we'll struggle to do that

I do think the club would struggle to turn down 7m for Swift though. Again a high earner, and a nice boost to the coffers. Particularly if we could pick up a similar player on loan

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Apr 2019 11:03

linkenholtroyal We all worry about FFP but Ilori and Bacunas sale must have helped and I would hope that atleast half of the percentacge of wage we are paying our loanees is also being covered by the player we are loaning out and the destruction of the contract of David Edwards. we also have removed a descent earner at the beginning of the season in Quinn. Yes there is some dead weight still to remove and we will also lose another large earner in Mcshane. We will offload some of the dead weight aswell expect to see Meyler, Aluko and potentially another one of our better players sold like Swift to help fund things. (personally hope it is not swift as i would love to see a season with Baker, Rinhomota and swift play together there is a good mix there )

I don't think things are that bad but we need to be wary of FFP. I think we may see some experienced but in expensive free transfers come in. the likes of Beevers from Bolton springs to mind, Knudson and Spence aswell from Ipswich. They are not bad players just in terrible sides and not on massive contracts. I can also see a couple of loans coming in the same. Might see Miazga on a full season and Ejaria. could see us buying Oliveira and Baker with the pennys we do have and a Goalkeeper (Would love Martinez and would also take Martinez on a season long but unlikely.)

What I really dont want though is wholesale changes in the core as we have a good feeling again and a good feeling amongst the squad that needs to be kept going into next season.

We didn’t destroy Edwards contract, we’ll have paid it up so it’s cost us the same as if he stayed. That’s how acontract works.
We know for the loan players who came in we are paying very little. Seems like some massive favours have been done and it will be interesting to see how they are repaid. I would imagine we will be using one specific agent for our recruitment for the foreseeable future. We are likely to be paying more towards the cost of the players who are out on loan than on the ones we have here.
I would hope we have dealt with the FFP issue and we won’t be impacted by it next season but I also think our spending will be much reduced. You’d hope we got a good price agreed as part of Nelson’s loan deal, to be honest with Norwich eyeing Premiership riches there’s no reason they will have asked daft moneyfor a player they clearly don’t want.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Apr 2019 11:04

Lower West
Hendo Consistent player? Not since his injury

Which one.

I'd be happy for Baker to stay.

His first one :roll:

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 12 Apr 2019 11:24

Nameless
linkenholtroyal We all worry about FFP but Ilori and Bacunas sale must have helped and I would hope that atleast half of the percentacge of wage we are paying our loanees is also being covered by the player we are loaning out and the destruction of the contract of David Edwards. we also have removed a descent earner at the beginning of the season in Quinn. Yes there is some dead weight still to remove and we will also lose another large earner in Mcshane. We will offload some of the dead weight aswell expect to see Meyler, Aluko and potentially another one of our better players sold like Swift to help fund things. (personally hope it is not swift as i would love to see a season with Baker, Rinhomota and swift play together there is a good mix there )

We didn’t destroy Edwards contract, we’ll have paid it up so it’s cost us the same as if he stayed. That’s how acontract works.
We know for the loan players who came in we are paying very little. Seems like some massive favours have been done and it will be interesting to see how they are repaid. I would imagine we will be using one specific agent for our recruitment for the foreseeable future. We are likely to be paying more towards the cost of the players who are out on loan than on the ones we have here.
I would hope we have dealt with the FFP issue and we won’t be impacted by it next season but I also think our spending will be much reduced. You’d hope we got a good price agreed as part of Nelson’s loan deal, to be honest with Norwich eyeing Premiership riches there’s no reason they will have asked daft moneyfor a player they clearly don’t want.

I remember reading somewhere it was a mutual split so Edwards could go to Shrewsbury and play on a longer contract. don't know the ins and outs but I don't think we payed it up. It does still happen. I maybe wrong though.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 12 Apr 2019 13:17

Thanks for all the additional information. So do clubs really benefit form deep-pocketed owners anymore or are there ways around FFP such as owners paying fee directly as “gifts”?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 12 Apr 2019 14:20

PremAddict Thanks for all the additional information. So do clubs really benefit form deep-pocketed owners anymore or are there ways around FFP such as owners paying fee directly as “gifts”?

Or you can also potentially sell a player you don’t want to Another club the owners own in let’s say China. To put some money back into the club. And then you don’t have to pay his wage or give him away for nothing.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Apr 2019 07:38

We've only loaned Aluko so his wages are only off the books until December. He's contracted to 2021. Whilst it helps us out with getting his wages out for FFP for this season, there's still the transfer element and he's still got another 18 months to run after that.

And with Edwards, with a mutual agreement, there will still be an element of paying up the contract, that's how fixed term contracts work. Most likely we paid the difference between what we paid him and what Shrewsbury are paying so effectively, it's like a loan only Edwards gets the security of an ongoing contract at the end of it