BFTG - Brentford

168 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by windermereROYAL » 14 Apr 2019 12:03

Snowball
Still think we need a stays-back-six defensive midfielder like Elwood or Ezatolahi

Eza on the form he showed before his injury, could be the key to a promising
side being a top-six side. We still leak too many goals, and I think that's the
fault of the midfield

And which loanee would you drop to accomodate Eza?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2019 12:19

I think he may be talking longer term when hopefully he isn't a loanee.

In the immediate future I might push up Baker, let Eza take his place and drop Eja. But that's not ideal.

He could also sit on the bench and come on to sure us up later in the game for one of the forwards.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Apr 2019 12:22

As others have said we played pretty well in the first half and were unlucky not to be further ahead at the break. We looked comfortable as a team with players knowing their roles and having some confidence. There was a fluidity about our play that gives me confidence we could score goals against anyone, and should stay up.

I have to mention the blatant gamesmanship ploy from Brentford when a player went down, they feigned kicking the ball out of play so everyone stopped and then picked out a dangerous through ball to Maupay. Cheating barstewards :evil: . Maupay was lucky to be on the pitch after not getting booked for a deliberate handball and a high tackle.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Apr 2019 12:23

Snowflake Royal I think he may be talking longer term when hopefully he isn't a loanee.

In the immediate future I might push up Baker, let Eza take his place and drop Eja. But that's not ideal.

He could also sit on the bench and come on to sure us up later in the game for one of the forwards.

Can only have 5 loanees in the match day squad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2019 12:26

windermereROYAL
Snowflake Royal I think he may be talking longer term when hopefully he isn't a loanee.

Can only have 5 loanees in the match day squad.

Yeah, again longer term on the last point, but also works if Swift came back in for Ejaria or if Oli is rested at any point.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Apr 2019 14:52

Snowball
Lower West
Old Man Andrews We have no chance, Miazga can do a lot better and is way more ambitious than us surely. He's here to put himself in the shop window and has done. Can see him at a newly promoted side in the Premier League next season.

Perhaps he is simply better than we've had for a while. Has formed a good relationship with Moore. Listening to his interview yesterday this extends to off the pitch as well. Both of them are working hard to improve their on field understanding. Keeping both of them could be a key piece of the jigsaw for next season.

Moore was almost on his way at the beginning of the season
It reminds me that we don't much talk about Moore GOING?

I have. Moore would be one of the first I'd try to move because I reckon he's replaceable and if we have to sell to buy , he's one of the sell-able assets. We're paying him big money now which could be used elsewhere (signing Baker, etc). We may not get as much for him, but I don't see his situation as being much different to Swift's, in that regard. Except that, Moore would be easier to replace, imo.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 14 Apr 2019 14:59

A welcome 3 points but it was nail-biting stuff for the last 20 minutes! Lovely Swift-esque ball from Barrow to set up Meite for a well-taken first goal and very poor defending from Brentford to allow Meite to amble into a position to have a free header from Baker's good cross for the second. Martinez fumble gave them their goal but Martinez has earned sufficient brownie points this season to be forgiven.

We sat back too much in the second half and Brentford were gifted too much room and space for their wide men to cause us some anxious moments. In truth though we should have been 3 or 4 up by the break.

All our players played pretty well, I thought, although none were outstanding so my MOTM goes to number 13. It was great to hear such vocal support, even when we were on the ropes in the dying minutes, and the players fed off that. Wigan took a point against Norwich today so, of the bottom six, only Bolton lost but only we won so that was a reasonable result.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Apr 2019 15:18

marlowuk A welcome 3 points but it was nail-biting stuff for the last 20 minutes! Lovely Swift-esque ball from Barrow to set up Meite for a well-taken first goal and very poor defending from Brentford to allow Meite to amble into a position to have a free header from Baker's good cross for the second. Martinez fumble gave them their goal but Martinez has earned sufficient brownie points this season to be forgiven.

We sat back too much in the second half and Brentford were gifted too much room and space for their wide men to cause us some anxious moments. In truth though we should have been 3 or 4 up by the break.

All our players played pretty well, I thought, although none were outstanding so my MOTM goes to number 13. It was great to hear such vocal support, even when we were on the ropes in the dying minutes, and the players fed off that. Wigan took a point against Norwich today so, of the bottom six, only Bolton lost but only we won so that was a reasonable result.

Well said, marlow. I think 'sitting back' will be worked on in the Summer, and right now it's about getting over the line.
Martinez has caught some flack for distribution errors, but I think part of the reason for it is that he does so much of it. There was a spell yesterday where it seemed every time I looked up, he was taking another goal kick. He must have thought it was a tennis match at times, and he was busier than their keeper was.
As we know, Brentford can move the ball around well. 'Sitting back' needs to be addressed, no doubt, but not sure it's exclusively always the 'strategy' or the game plan to do so. Execution and mental aspects play a role too.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 Apr 2019 15:23

leon We’ve got to stay up first, however.

Gomes seems to be an excellent man manager this will be important. I’d love all of them as they’ve been all excellent. Echo post praising the scouting. McDermott like.

Martínez- no chance.
Miazga- no idea. If he’s enjoying being here he could feel that he’s could build his reputation.
Baker - has drifted about a bit. If he feels at home at RFC then I reckon very achievable.
Ejaria - possibly. He’s not getting anywhere near LFC first team.
Oliveira - definitely. Portugal connection. Etc.

Agreed

Think we'll get Oliveira +1 or 2 back for next season. Very good news to hear about Miazga's contract situation as I think Moore will be making his overdue departure and adding significantly to our transfer pot.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Apr 2019 17:34

Denver Royal
Snowball
Lower West Perhaps he is simply better than we've had for a while. Has formed a good relationship with Moore. Listening to his interview yesterday this extends to off the pitch as well. Both of them are working hard to improve their on field understanding. Keeping both of them could be a key piece of the jigsaw for next season.

Moore was almost on his way at the beginning of the season

I have. Moore would be one of the first I'd try to move because I reckon he's replaceable and if we have to sell to buy , he's one of the sell-able assets. We're paying him big money now which could be used elsewhere (signing Baker, etc). We may not get as much for him, but I don't see his situation as being much different to Swift's, in that regard. Except that, Moore would be easier to replace, imo.

With 5 loanees currently in the team. I'd be concerned if other key members were to be sold in the summer. We need to build on what we now have. Not start the season with yet another let's hope it works squad. A core backbone of Miazga/Moore; Rinomhota\Baker and Meite would be ideal. All are good characters. All have the time to improve with experience.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Apr 2019 17:50

Lower West
Denver Royal
Snowball Moore was almost on his way at the beginning of the season

With 5 loanees currently in the team. I'd be concerned if other key members were to be sold in the summer. We need to build on what we now have. Not start the season with yet another let's hope it works squad. A core backbone of Miazga/Moore; Rinomhota\Baker and Meite would be ideal. All are good characters. All have the time to improve with experience.

Yep agree with this. I’m not convinced Moore would go anyway. Would a top flight club come in for him? Doubt he would join another Championship club.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Apr 2019 18:16

Also do have to ask if MM, Baker and co would want to join if we are
flogging off our best players before they get here

They wouldn’t come for another relegation battle

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Apr 2019 18:31

Zip
Lower West
Denver Royal I have. Moore would be one of the first I'd try to move because I reckon he's replaceable and if we have to sell to buy , he's one of the sell-able assets. We're paying him big money now which could be used elsewhere (signing Baker, etc). We may not get as much for him, but I don't see his situation as being much different to Swift's, in that regard. Except that, Moore would be easier to replace, imo.

Yep agree with this. I’m not convinced Moore would go anyway. Would a top flight club come in for him? Doubt he would join another Championship club.

Yep, good points guys, and if Moore stays, then ok. Last Summer quite a few were ok with him leaving, and I still am, but understand some things have changed. We'll see what's trimmed and how much revenue that generates, but realistically I'm thinking we might need to open the cheque book at some point to sign these loanees. And that's just loanees, what about any other players out there we might be looking at too? Won't be shocked if we look at some.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Apr 2019 18:36

Denver Royal
Zip
Lower West With 5 loanees currently in the team. I'd be concerned if other key members were to be sold in the summer. We need to build on what we now have. Not start the season with yet another let's hope it works squad. A core backbone of Miazga/Moore; Rinomhota\Baker and Meite would be ideal. All are good characters. All have the time to improve with experience.

Yep, good points guys, and if Moore stays, then ok. Last Summer quite a few were ok with Moore leaving, and I still am, but understand some things have changed. We'll see what gets trimmed and how much revenue that generates, but realistically I'm thinking we'll need to open the cheque book at some point to sign these loanees. (And that's just loanees, what about any other players out there we might be looking at too?).

If we signed some of the loanees as permanent players then we might look to strengthen elsewhere by bringing in loanees.
We should get decent money for Swift and at a push Aluko. Just getting a stack of players off the books would help. Hopefully we will also have an Academy player that can do a Rinomhota.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Apr 2019 18:43

Just because we saw in a paper that Leeds were after Swift doesn't mean he's definitely going. The way Gomes has used him, starting near enough every game makes me think he may still stay. Some people are acting like he's already gone

Selling Mannone, Jaakkola/Walker, McShane, O'Shea, Meyler, Kelly :twisted: , Aluko, McNulty, Baldock, Bodvarsson/Novakovich would free up enough budget/wages surely

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Apr 2019 18:45

URZZZZ Just because we saw in a paper that Leeds were after Swift doesn't mean he's definitely going. The way Gomes has used him, starting near enough every game makes me think he may still stay. Some people are acting like he's already gone

Selling Mannone, Jaakkola/Walker, McShane, O'Shea, Meyler, Kelly :twisted: , Aluko, McNulty, Baldock, Bodvarsson/Novakovich would free up enough budget/wages surely

Ha basically just wrote (and since deleted) that exact post. Had to re-read as it read so much like mine :)

Nova’ is doing great again in the Dutch league. He’ll either be a good fit for us or make us some proper money

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 14 Apr 2019 18:51

URZZZZ Just because we saw in a paper that Leeds were after Swift doesn't mean he's definitely going. The way Gomes has used him, starting near enough every game makes me think he may still stay. Some people are acting like he's already gone.

URZZZZ, yep, thought of that a few times over the last week or so, but didn't post it :wink:
Do you think he's a PL player?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 14 Apr 2019 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Apr 2019 18:53

Yeah, I saw your post 1 minute after, just too slow :D

I think if we could go into next season with Oliveira, Bodvarsson/Novakovich, possibly Baldock/McNulty and Loader, we'll be OK. I really like Bod but his injuries are a real problem and if Novakovich is all that, he probably isn't needed

We could always give Joey a new contract so we don't need to get Baker permanently :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Apr 2019 19:00

Denver Royal
URZZZZ Just because we saw in a paper that Leeds were after Swift doesn't mean he's definitely going. The way Gomes has used him, starting near enough every game makes me think he may still stay. Some people are acting like he's already gone.

URZZZZ, yep, thought of that a few times over the last week or so, but didn't post it :wink:
Do you think he's a PL player?

Not yet no. With the correct coaching, then I think he can be, so maybe under someone like Bielsa. He just has one too many flaws in his game at the moment. Saying that, Baker didn't work under Bielsa and has done here, so who knows

It's pretty simple for Swift. If he can sort out his consistency, he'll be an established Premier League player, if he carries on like this, he'll languish between the two leagues, similar to a Bacuna type player

But the difference in his performances under 90% of his time under Stam and Clement compared to now is staggering

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2019 20:32

URZZZZ Just because we saw in a paper that Leeds were after Swift doesn't mean he's definitely going. The way Gomes has used him, starting near enough every game makes me think he may still stay. Some people are acting like he's already gone

Yeah, but how many of them are going to be wanted, or if wanted, earn us any money.

168 posts