Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

2100 posts
madreadingfan

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by madreadingfan » 23 Apr 2019 12:21

paultheroyal
biff How could it ever hope to compliment the rest of the ground?

The south stand are singing their inoffensive dittys towards the pitch, away from y26 (the only real organic area for noise), flanked by away fans on their right and the most soulless part of the ground on their left.

It hasn't got a hope of working. Knock it on the head, move everyone back to the one place where 20 years of (relative) atmosphere has prospered, and make at least one part of the ground vaguely intimidating again.

I feel a few quotes coming on...

Haha that made me chuckle :lol: :lol: :lol:

One87One

by One87One » 23 Apr 2019 14:08

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Apr 2019 21:03

Holy shit, we're being commended on our atmosphere? No reference to tinpot?

Never thought I'd see that. :shock:

One87One

by One87One » 23 Apr 2019 22:50

CountryRoyal Holy shit, we're being commended on our atmosphere? No reference to tinpot?

Brentford were also very complimentary. Perception is changing thanks to the South Stand initiative.

If we could get a group of 20+ in Y25/26 now who keep the songs coming, others will join in again and then we could have two areas drowning out the away support.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Apr 2019 08:07

One87One
CountryRoyal Holy shit, we're being commended on our atmosphere? No reference to tinpot?

Brentford were also very complimentary. Perception is changing thanks to the South Stand initiative.

If we could get a group of 20+ in Y25/26 now who keep the songs coming, others will join in again and then we could have two areas drowning out the away support.

I was a tad frustrated still the other day. I got in a couple of minutes late the other day and so had to go down the front. Not a single person on my row sang one chant the entire first half. Second half I moved up and the bloke to my right also didn’t sing anything. At all.

Like what’s the actual point just fcuk off to the ED stand. Yeah yeah you pay your money you can do what you want but if you’re not going to actively contribute in what is a “singing” section, then literally just fcuk off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2019 08:20

Yeah, it is weird. Some people obviously enjoy the atmosphere but expect others to do all the work to make it.

Against Brentford I was stood next to a middle-aged woman who'd come with (I presume) her 20s son. She was regularly joining in and stood all game. That was great to see as it's not really what I'd typically expect from that demographic.

Imagine what the South would be like if we were top 10 and fighting for Pos, or mounting an auto push. Hopefully we might see in the next few years.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 24 Apr 2019 09:03

Snowflake Royal Yeah, it is weird. Some people obviously enjoy the atmosphere but expect others to do all the work to make it.

Against Brentford I was stood next to a middle-aged woman who'd come with (I presume) her 20s son. She was regularly joining in and stood all game. That was great to see as it's not really what I'd typically expect from that demographic.

Imagine what the South would be like if we were top 10 and fighting for Pos, or mounting an auto push. Hopefully we might see in the next few years.

Yeah and it really does make a difference. It’s often hard to gauge how loud you actually are when you and the others are making noise around you, but only when everyone gets going it is significantly louder. Yeah we really need a period of improvement and winning games and competing, if nothing else than for Club 1871 and the atmosphere at the Madejski. It’s actually great though on the whole going into games knowing that you will have some support. Now if we can translate that into consistently bigger away attendances that would be the dream! Maybe one day.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 24 Apr 2019 09:35

Snowflake Royal Yeah, it is weird. Some people obviously enjoy the atmosphere but expect others to do all the work to make it.

Bit patronising that. I'm a middle aged women, but I've funded and promote safe standing.

Most of the silent miserablists I see at games are men - but that's because there are more men - in a similar way, most people standing and singing in the south stand are men, but that's because.....

One87One

by One87One » 24 Apr 2019 10:02

The Dolan Stand on Twitter has made a very good point to supporters wanting a season ticket in the South Stand next season.

If you already have a season ticket elsewhere in the stadium, you can move it permanently for the Birmingham game, thus giving you first refusal on renewing it before season tickets go on general sale!

A very good idea. We’ve done exactly this this morning and switched 12 season tickets.

C1871 are hopeful of a near sell-our for Birmingham, and next season it may prove difficult to get a ticket in there, so this is well worth considering.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2019 10:11

muirinho

Bit patronising that. I'm a middle aged women, but I've funded and promote safe standing.

Most of the silent miserablists I see at games are men - but that's because there are more men - in a similar way, most people standing and singing in the south stand are men, but that's because.....

Not intended at all, so I apologise. It's great to see a wider demographic spread involved than is stereotypical.

It just always makes me think of my mum, who is the least footbally woman you could think of but bizarrely still enjoys going to the odd game... Not a singer tho!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Apr 2019 10:20

CountryRoyal
One87One

I was a tad frustrated still the other day. I got in a couple of minutes late the other day and so had to go down the front. Not a single person on my row sang one chant the entire first half. Second half I moved up and the bloke to my right also didn’t sing anything. At all.

Like what’s the actual point just fcuk off to the ED stand. Yeah yeah you pay your money you can do what you want but if you’re not going to actively contribute in what is a “singing” section, then literally just fcuk off.

Monday was my first time in the ED stand for about 6-7 years

The atmosphere was GREAT

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 10:29

Really impressed with 1871 over the last couple of games. Its made a huge difference

Not going to be joining in anytime soon mind you, more than happy sitting with my kids in the ED. The atmosphere in there has been pretty good recently, and those clapper things do the job. Thoroughly enjoyable on Monday

One very minor gripe, and think did see someone else mention it. I know they were all that end of the pitch, but quite a few of the players only really clapped the 1871 stand at the end, rather than come over to the other stands. Notable exceptions in Moore, Martinez and Yiadom. Not a huge issue at all, but hopefully it won't just become the stand

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Apr 2019 10:42

Hound Really impressed with 1871 over the last couple of games. Its made a huge difference

Not going to be joining in anytime soon mind you, more than happy sitting with my kids in the ED. The atmosphere in there has been pretty good recently, and those clapper things do the job. Thoroughly enjoyable on Monday

One very minor gripe, and think did see someone else mention it. I know they were all that end of the pitch, but quite a few of the players only really clapped the 1871 stand at the end, rather than come over to the other stands. Notable exceptions in Moore, Martinez and Yiadom. Not a huge issue at all, but hopefully it won't just become the stand

Yeah this is issue I have, they have made themselves seem superior to every other corner of the ground. Nobody in that ground is better than anyone else but it could be perceived that Club 1871 are on a higher plain than everyone else. Some people like to go and sit down and watch the game in silence, doesn't mean they are any less of a supporter. Just means they enjoy the game in a different way. The club need to remember all of the supporters going forward.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Apr 2019 10:44

Hound Really impressed with 1871 over the last couple of games. Its made a huge difference

Martinez gave his gloves to a supporter in the EDS.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 24 Apr 2019 10:48

Honestly couldn't give a shit who the players clap. Fair play to C1871 they deserve all the plaudits they are getting. Long may it continue.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2019 10:57

Old Man Andrews

Yeah this is issue I have, they have made themselves seem superior to every other corner of the ground. Nobody in that ground is better than anyone else but it could be perceived that Club 1871 are on a higher plain than everyone else. Some people like to go and sit down and watch the game in silence, doesn't mean they are any less of a supporter. Just means they enjoy the game in a different way. The club need to remember all of the supporters going forward.

See to start with it was noticeable that they didn't really come to 1871 at all. Presumably because they were used to the South being solely away.

I agree it would be good for the players to acknowledge the whole ground. But they are naturally going to gravitate to the loudest. It has nothing to do with the 1871 members setting themselves up as better, they haven't.

But when the players are looking for vocal support, and calling for it during the game, which they have in the last few, they will naturally focus on the ones that they can tell responded and who have gone out of their way to do something positive.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Apr 2019 10:58

If you stay and clap players rather than dash out to the Hotel/Jazz Bar then that is your own fault as a person

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Apr 2019 11:02

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

See to start with it was noticeable that they didn't really come to 1871 at all. Presumably because they were used to the South being solely away.

I agree it would be good for the players to acknowledge the whole ground. But they are naturally going to gravitate to the loudest. It has nothing to do with the 1871 members setting themselves up as better, they haven't.

But when the players are looking for vocal support, and calling for it during the game, which they have in the last few, they will naturally focus on the ones that they can tell responded and who have gone out of their way to do something positive.

Yep, can understand it. I don't blame the players and can fully understand them going to 1871 first. But then I think only 3-4 acknowledged the ED - the ones I mentioned. Swift and Bod are others who always come over.

Nothing major, just maybe something for them to remember in the future.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 24 Apr 2019 11:08

Gunts practically did a lap of honour, clapping every stand. Made me think he's considering leaving at the end of the season - that might have been his last home game. If so, nice to finish with a vital clearance of the line.

But - if you didn't spot him doing that, you may not have noticed what other players were doing. I think given where most of the players were at the time when the final whistle went, it was understandable initial celebrations went off in front of 1871. If we'd been playing the other way, or the whistle blew during an attack, they might have been celebrating in front of the ED.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Apr 2019 11:09

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews Yeah this is issue I have, they have made themselves seem superior to every other corner of the ground. Nobody in that ground is better than anyone else but it could be perceived that Club 1871 are on a higher plain than everyone else. Some people like to go and sit down and watch the game in silence, doesn't mean they are any less of a supporter. Just means they enjoy the game in a different way. The club need to remember all of the supporters going forward.

Yep, can understand it. I don't blame the players and can fully understand them going to 1871 first. But then I think only 3-4 acknowledged the ED - the ones I mentioned. Swift and Bod are others who always come over.

Nothing major, just maybe something for them to remember in the future.

Pretty sure Baker and Gunter went round the ground as well, but didn't notice anyone else which I thought was pretty poor considering the atmosphere around the ground

2100 posts