Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2019 18:33

NewCorkSeth To clarify my understanding of a few things:

1: Mannone loan is a loan to buy hence why I didnt include him. From my understanding they are obligated to buy him at the end of their season.

2: Joey van den Berg is also on a loan to buy deal.

3: I was hoping we would not discuss the obviously excellent loan players we have and focus on what position is a priority to improve. Let's assume for the purposes of this thread that none of the loanees return to us next season. That way we can identify where truly we are weakest.

Imo the glaring holes in the squad are at CB. Going into next season with only Moore as a senior player in that position is dangerous.

I think after that CM is a problem. With only Rinkmhota, Kelly and Meyler there (with the latter 2 certainly up for sale imo) it's a pretty key area to look at over the summer.

Agree CM has the biggest individual hole, and CM needs the most work.

Looking at this highlights just how much work there is to do. I think we need another two or three Academy Lads to step up and play 10-15 good games next season, even with 5 new signings

For far too long we've been relying on talent returning from injury and staying fit and it hasn't happened.
Obita
Harriott
Bodvarsson
Baldock
Ezatolahi

Just this season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Apr 2019 18:36

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Gk:
??
Walker - if we can get money for him sell and extend Anssi
Southward (sp?)
Jaakkola - don't renew unless above
Mannone - shift as a priority

RB:
Yiadom
Gunter - if we can get money and Watson is fit and recovered or Howe is ready then sell

LB:
Blackett
Obita - fitness assessment, if not fully fit by mid July replace
Richards - loan out
Gunter - see above

Cb:
Moore
??
Blackett
McIntyre, Osho, Holmes, loan one, keep the others for back up
McShane - don't renew
O'Shea - don't renew

Cm:
Rinomhota
??
East
Holsgrove
Frost ?
Meyler - shift even at the cost of paying up contract
Kelly is gone whether I agree or not realistically.

AM
Swift - sell if we can get good money and replace
Barrett / Frost / Olise

RW
Meite
McCleary - sell if we can get money, but decent back up
Harriott
Loader - loan if possible, but right loan
Aluko - shift if at all possible.

LW
Barrow
McCleary - see above
Harriott
Olise / Barrett
Loader - see above

ST
Meite
Novakovich
Bodvarsson / Baldock / McNulty - sell whichever one we can get money for, two if we get Oli and won't lose Nova
House - loan / unders

I think we need:
Keeper - Martinez ?????
Centre back - Miazga???
Midfielder - Baker ??
Midfielder - Ezatolahi ??
AM - Ejaria ???
ST - Oliveira ?
And probably a winger, side not crucial, preferably left. It's basically the spine of the team we need to add to, the most in midfield.

I know Loader isn't a winger, but I think that's his best bet for integrating into Championship level in the short term. He just doesn't meet the standard upfront or in behind right now and I don't see improvement. I think he'll find it easier on the wing with a more straight forward role

I get that you're listing the positions players are capable of covering in a pinch but it makes more sense to limit them to one position so we can see where the holes are. They can only fill 1 position in a team sheet.

Meite is fully capable of covering up front but is a right winger now and I expect he will play there under Gomes. Listing him as our second striker distorts where our needs really do lie.

Yeah, but you can juggle a bit. Like if Bod is out you can choose between Baldock upfront or McCleary at RW with Meite moving.

I'd have been a bit more structured but I was posting from a phone while walking.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Apr 2019 18:43

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Gk:
??
Walker - if we can get money for him sell and extend Anssi
Southward (sp?)
Jaakkola - don't renew unless above
Mannone - shift as a priority

RB:
Yiadom
Gunter - if we can get money and Watson is fit and recovered or Howe is ready then sell

LB:
Blackett
Obita - fitness assessment, if not fully fit by mid July replace
Richards - loan out
Gunter - see above

Cb:
Moore
??
Blackett
McIntyre, Osho, Holmes, loan one, keep the others for back up
McShane - don't renew
O'Shea - don't renew

Cm:
Rinomhota
??
East
Holsgrove
Frost ?
Meyler - shift even at the cost of paying up contract
Kelly is gone whether I agree or not realistically.

AM
Swift - sell if we can get good money and replace
Barrett / Frost / Olise

RW
Meite
McCleary - sell if we can get money, but decent back up
Harriott
Loader - loan if possible, but right loan
Aluko - shift if at all possible.

LW
Barrow
McCleary - see above
Harriott
Olise / Barrett
Loader - see above

ST
Meite
Novakovich
Bodvarsson / Baldock / McNulty - sell whichever one we can get money for, two if we get Oli and won't lose Nova
House - loan / unders

I think we need:
Keeper - Martinez ?????
Centre back - Miazga???
Midfielder - Baker ??
Midfielder - Ezatolahi ??
AM - Ejaria ???
ST - Oliveira ?
And probably a winger, side not crucial, preferably left. It's basically the spine of the team we need to add to, the most in midfield.

I know Loader isn't a winger, but I think that's his best bet for integrating into Championship level in the short term. He just doesn't meet the standard upfront or in behind right now and I don't see improvement. I think he'll find it easier on the wing with a more straight forward role

I get that you're listing the positions players are capable of covering in a pinch but it makes more sense to limit them to one position so we can see where the holes are. They can only fill 1 position in a team sheet.

Meite is fully capable of covering up front but is a right winger now and I expect he will play there under Gomes. Listing him as our second striker distorts where our needs really do lie.

Yeah, but you can juggle a bit. Like if Bod is out you can choose between Baldock upfront or McCleary at RW with Meite moving.

I'd have been a bit more structured but I was posting from a phone while walking.

Oh for sure. And actually Gomes seems to like a rotating front 3 (which I can imagine would work well for Baldock as he has the determination to break into good positions).

If we imagine it as a front 3 rather than 2 wingers and a striker then we already have Meite, McCleary, Bodvarson, Baldock, Barrow, Harriott, Loader and Novakovich to cover 3 positions. Fitness permitting I would happy enough with that. (Sign Oliveira and we're laughing)

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Apr 2019 18:47

I think our defence requires the least work. We need to bring back Miazga (unlikely) or bring in AN other as first choice partner for Moore. But we have depth in the full back positions, while I think 2 of Holmes, McIntyre and Osho can provide cover (send one of them on loan).

In midfield I think we will get Baker on loan; maybe permanent. He's had a number of unsuccessful loans like Leeds and Boro; now he is finally in a team where he is playing at his best every week. If I were at Chelsea I'd send him straight back to see how he can develop with a year of stability. Ejaria is harder to predict; hopefully we can agree something. Then we have Rinho and Swift. Clearly depth is an issue, assuming Gomes doesn't have time for Kelly and Meyler.

Up front we will have Nelson, Bod Loader and Baldock. I'd shift one of Bod/Baldock. I know Loader has struggled but he has talent. Hopefully a good pre-season and a bit more belief could set him up well for next season.

Wingers are a concern. Barrow and Meite are great, but we have no depth. I suspect McCleary will see out his contract, but he has aged a lot the past 2 years. Harriott has never given us a consistent run in the team. I'd release and try to bring in a young talent on loan.

GK is biggest concern. We need a decent number 1 and our chances of bringing back Martinez are next to none.

I think we will end up being pragmatic and keeping a few on everyone's release lists. Firstly, we need to find takers unless players are out of contract. But we also need enough senior players to cope with a season and we don't have loads of funds to spend on replacements.

I'd like to see a final chance for Kelly as a squad option. He should fit Gomes' style and its easy to forget his breakout season in 16/17. Admittedly he's been very disappointed since then and his most recent performance at Sheff Utd was an abomination, but Gomes has proved an excellent motivator/coach to the likes of Meite, Barrow and Blackett. Why not Kelly?

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 23 Apr 2019 19:53

Currently our squad is as follows:
(RED = Contract Expiring)
GOALKEEPERS
A. Jaakkola
S. Walker
L. Ward
L. Southwood
RIGHT BACKS
A. Yiadom
C. Gunter
LEFT BACKS
J. Obita
T. Blackett
O. Richards
CENTRE BACKS
L. Moore
P. McShane
J. O'Shea
T. McIntyre
T. Holmes
G. Osho
CENTRE MIDS
A. Rinomhota
L. Kelly
R. East
M. Olise
RIGHT WING
Y. Meite
G. McCleary
ATTACKING MIDS
J. Swift
J. Barrett
LEFT WING
M. Barrow
C. Harriott
STRIKERS
J. Dadi Bodvarson
S. Baldock
D. Loader
A. Novakovich
S. Smith

Other Loans:
Joey VDB
Vito Mannone
David Myler
Sone Aluko
Adrian Popa
Mark McNulty
Gravenberch
T. Watson

In terms of our loan players it would pay for Howe and Gomes to be convincing all of the loan players they have a role next season. Chelsea is the difficult one with a pending transfer Embargo until next summer however I see Miazga and Baker far from their first team as it stands. Like others have said all of our loan signings have thrived under Gomes and the current system. Baker in particular has had some rotten loans over the last few seasons, like every good player he is showing what a run can do to show how good you are. The players out on loan and our ‘squad’ players on big contracts are going to hold us back on what we can do.

Squad should next season:

Goalkeepers:
New permanent number 1
Walker
Youth Prospects

RB:
Yiadom
Gunter

CB:
Moore
Blackett
New Centre half
McIntyre
Holmes

LB:
Obita
Richards

CM:
2 new centre midfielders
Rinomhota
Olise

Attacking Midfielders:
Harriott
East
Barrow
Swift
New attacking midfielder

Forwards:
Loader
Meite
Novakovic
New striker

There will also be 3/4 players promoted from the under 23s who can be bled into the squad.

I cannot see the need for Bod, Baldock, McCleary, Kelly. I would also actively sell/loan all those out on loan. Due to idiotic contract dealings selling is easier said then done but the policy has to be ruthless in the summer to succeed.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Apr 2019 21:04

Wouldn't renew the contracts of any of the out of contract players who are around the first team. Harriott is useful but not essential, and seems to be well down the pecking order. Jaakola is... fine, but we're not short of fine goalkeepers. The rest are pretty hopeless.

Olise is not a central midfielder. Attacking midfielder yes, but he plays in the same positions as Loader.

My squad for next season:

Martinez
Southwood
One of the other youngsters who will be the U23 goalkeeper

Moore
Miazga
McIntyre
Osho

Yiadom
Blackett
Gunter
Watson
(Obita as a potential bonus but no counting on him)

Ezatolahi
Rinomhota
Baker
Kelly

Swift
Ejaria
Holsgrove

Barrow
Meite
Baldock
New winger or Loader

Bodvarsson
Oliveira or other striker
Novakovich

Loan: lots of goalkeepers, Howe, Richards, Holmes, East, Frost, Loader, House. Probably send them abroad.
Sell: all the loaned-out deadwood (Gravenberch etc.), McCleary, Walker, Barrett, Smith
Unsure: McNulty - seems like a talented player but I don't see what his path to the first team is

Realistically I think we're going to sell Kelly, but I wouldn't. Also think Ezatolahi will probably get a better offer. In which case we'd need at least one extra midfielder - we could maybe promote someone.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 23 Apr 2019 21:22

Not squad - but that guy that Gomes brought in for technical analysis for the last 8 games - be very happy to see him signing on for next year.

I think since he came in. we've been tweaking formations and tactics to match the opposition - and surely he's played a part in that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2019 21:29

Mark Bowen? Yep seems to have worked out that

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 Apr 2019 21:48

When Tyler Blackett signed from Man Utd every single media outlet stated a 3 year deal- the only mention of 4 years i can find is on the Reading FC website( not on him signing- i can`t find that). I suppose all the media outlets could have got the info from the wrong source but it would be nice to find out which is true 3 or 4 years ?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Apr 2019 21:52

Well we should find out in the next week or two I suspect

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 23 Apr 2019 22:53

NewCorkSeth

On a free at the end of the season. Contract expires

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Apr 2019 08:11

maffff
NewCorkSeth

On a free at the end of the season. Contract expires

Any contracts you think should be offered maff? Maybe to a certain Dutch footballer? Underrated by everyone? Who's younger brother is one of the best prospects on FM19?

Pat Butchers Ring

The morning after the night before

by Pat Butchers Ring » 24 Apr 2019 08:28

I know we’ve got our club back, great manager, new atmosphere etc etc but is anyone else gone back to remembering what a fcuking useless, lazy bunch of players we have in our squad that we actually own. Moore, Yiadom, Rhinomota, Meite and possibly Barrow aside the rest of them deserve a good hiding for their performances this season.

When you think that there’s a chance we may not be able to get any of the loanees back we have a huge job in rebuilding and I’m worried it will be more of the same next season.

IMO I would replace all of the following:

Swift - Cash in
Gunter- Cash in
Blackett- Release
Meyler- Release
Kelly- cash in
Baldock- cash in
Mcshane- release

Hopefully that would ease FFP situation and could pick up better players for less money.

Old Man Andrews

Re: The morning after the night before

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Apr 2019 08:39

Well worth a brand new thread for this. Well done.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 24 Apr 2019 08:56

Royals and Racers When Tyler Blackett signed from Man Utd every single media outlet stated a 3 year deal- the only mention of 4 years i can find is on the Reading FC website( not on him signing- i can`t find that). I suppose all the media outlets could have got the info from the wrong source but it would be nice to find out which is true 3 or 4 years ?

The blurb under the youtube interview from when he was signed also says 4 years. don't know if it is mentioned in the interview itself, couldn't be arsed listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWplirlLXXQ

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Apr 2019 09:33

muirinho
Royals and Racers When Tyler Blackett signed from Man Utd every single media outlet stated a 3 year deal- the only mention of 4 years i can find is on the Reading FC website( not on him signing- i can`t find that). I suppose all the media outlets could have got the info from the wrong source but it would be nice to find out which is true 3 or 4 years ?

The blurb under the youtube interview from when he was signed also says 4 years. don't know if it is mentioned in the interview itself, couldn't be arsed listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWplirlLXXQ

If the club site has it wrong that'll be pretty embarrassing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Apr 2019 11:19

Should aim for two for each position with 1 extra goalie, striker and midfielder. Not too knowledgeable about the youth but something like this

GK
Martinez/New first choice GK
Walker
Southwood/Ward

RB
Yiadom
Gunter

LB
Blackett
Richards/Obita if he's ever going to recover

CB
Moore
Miazga/New CB
Blackett
McIntyre
Osho

CM
Baker?
Rino
East
New CM

RM
Harriott
Meite

LM
Barrow
McCleary

CAM
Swift
Ejaria?/Barrett/New CAM

ST
New ST, possibly Nelson
Bodvarsson/Novakovich
Baldock/McNulty

That leaves Meyler, Kelly, one of Baldock and McNulty and a couple of other wasters to go
Loan out Holmes, Olise, Loader etc for a season and give them much needed experience
Really the only gaping hole at the moment is the midfield especially if Swift leaves or CB if Moore goes

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Apr 2019 11:59

I'd forgotten McNulty but I think he would fit in now.

He could have player Loader's role on Monday. He would have scored two.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 24 Apr 2019 13:27

I am not sure that Martinez is as out of reach as posters suggest.
He has had just 6 senior appearances for Arsenal in 6 years and has had 6 loan deals.
Although Cech is retiring they have Iliev as their regular U23 keeper who is 2 years younger than Martinez and Emery may well sign another keeper.

As Sutekh posted earlier we need a new left-back, just as we did at the start of this season.
There are serious doubts about Obita ever being fit and Richards likewise-I also get the feeling that Gomes doesn't rate him.
For all that Blackett may have improved I just think he is less bad.

So much will depend upon whether we get any of the loanees-with them our form has been that of a lower mid-table side but scarily without them we looked likely to be relegated.
Whoever identified and got the fabulous 5 deserves a grateful pat on the back-presumably that person is still around so maybe the magic touch will happen again next season if we don't get all or some of these.

The saddest departure will IMHO be McCleary-on Saturday he had that breakaway chance when, in previous seasons, he would have gone past the defender and probably scored but he didn't have the pace to do so and regrettably he is no longer good enough.

The coming weeks will be when we get to know who is expected to go and Gomes appears to have a ruthless streak when needed so, amongst others, I expect Kelly Harriot < McNultyand Gunter to no longer be required as well as the likes of our Irish trio of Meyler, McShane and O'Shea (a million pounds spent for what?).

So, plenty of changes again and hopefully a better overall squad to start next season with.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 24 Apr 2019 13:56

WestYorksRoyal I think our defence requires the least work. We need to bring back Miazga (unlikely) or bring in AN other as first choice partner for Moore. But we have depth in the full back positions, while I think 2 of Holmes, McIntyre and Osho can provide cover (send one of them on loan).

In midfield I think we will get Baker on loan; maybe permanent. He's had a number of unsuccessful loans like Leeds and Boro; now he is finally in a team where he is playing at his best every week. If I were at Chelsea I'd send him straight back to see how he can develop with a year of stability. Ejaria is harder to predict; hopefully we can agree something. Then we have Rinho and Swift. Clearly depth is an issue, assuming Gomes doesn't have time for Kelly and Meyler.

Up front we will have Nelson, Bod Loader and Baldock. I'd shift one of Bod/Baldock. I know Loader has struggled but he has talent. Hopefully a good pre-season and a bit more belief could set him up well for next season.

Wingers are a concern. Barrow and Meite are great, but we have no depth. I suspect McCleary will see out his contract, but he has aged a lot the past 2 years. Harriott has never given us a consistent run in the team. I'd release and try to bring in a young talent on loan.

GK is biggest concern. We need a decent number 1 and our chances of bringing back Martinez are next to none.

I think we will end up being pragmatic and keeping a few on everyone's release lists. Firstly, we need to find takers unless players are out of contract. But we also need enough senior players to cope with a season and we don't have loads of funds to spend on replacements.

I'd like to see a final chance for Kelly as a squad option. He should fit Gomes' style and its easy to forget his breakout season in 16/17. Admittedly he's been very disappointed since then and his most recent performance at Sheff Utd was an abomination, but Gomes has proved an excellent motivator/coach to the likes of Meite, Barrow and Blackett. Why not Kelly?

This saves me a lot of typing

1826 posts