Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
RoyalJones

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by RoyalJones » 27 Apr 2019 17:25

We need to work out which of the U23s are actually good enough to make the step up to the first team squad:
GK: Southwood and Ward are in with a shout of being second and third choice next season I think with 2/3 senior keepers potentially going.

CB: Osho and McIntyre will probably make the step up, Holmes has featured before.
LB: Richards could go out on loan or remain in the first team, Medford-Smith might not be ready yet.
RB: One of Watson/Howe could make the step up.

Midfield: Rino to stay in the first team. Kelly could go out on loan, remains to be seen whether East and Olise will stay with the first team squad, Lawless will probably remain with the U23s. Another loan for Sideol? Holsgrove emergence possible.

Wingers: Quite light in this area in terms of U23s. Barrett might be the one to watch next season.

Strikers: Novakovich to come back and make an impact next season. Sam Smith doesn't seem up to it. Loader may be sent out on loan or stay with the first team. Interesting to see what could happen with Ben House.

Thoughts? And have I missed anyone?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Apr 2019 18:08

Barratt is at a make or break stage. Interesting received the nod ahead of Kelly today. Suspect East would have been ahead of Kelly too. Kelly is a goner in the summer(to a League One team).

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Apr 2019 18:21

Well after today's game the following Academy players have made 1st XI apps this season :

Richards
Kelly
Rinomhota
Loader
Holmes
McIntyre
Osho
East
Olise
Barrett

with Obita of course a long term injury victim.

With question marks over Kelly, that still seems to be nearly a 1st XI?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 Apr 2019 18:37

strap Well after today's game the following Academy players have made 1st XI apps this season :

Richards
Kelly
Rinomhota
Loader
Holmes
McIntyre
Osho
East
Olise
Barrett

with Obita of course a long term injury victim.

With question marks over Kelly, that still seems to be nearly a 1st XI?

Its an 11,but never a 1st 11

Not yet anyway

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Apr 2019 19:23

RoyalJones We need to work out which of the U23s are actually good enough to make the step up to the first team squad:
GK: Southwood and Ward are in with a shout of being second and third choice next season I think with 2/3 senior keepers potentially going.

CB: Osho and McIntyre will probably make the step up, Holmes has featured before.
LB: Richards could go out on loan or remain in the first team, Medford-Smith might not be ready yet.

Midfield: Rino to stay in the first team. Kelly could go out on loan, remains to be seen whether East and Olise will stay with the first team squad, Lawless will probably remain with the U23s. Another loan for Sideol? Holsgrove emergence possible.

Wingers: Quite light in this area in terms of U23s. Barrett might be the one to watch next season.

Strikers: Novakovich to come back and make an impact next season. Sam Smith doesn't seem up to it. Loader may be sent out on loan or stay with the first team. Interesting to see what could happen with Ben House.

Is Barrett a winger? I thought he was a number 10.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Apr 2019 19:32

NewCorkSeth
RoyalJones We need to work out which of the U23s are actually good enough to make the step up to the first team squad:

He’s been playing as a winger. Probably because he’s not been fit enough or disciplined do enough to play a more central role. He can hit a great pass and scores some cracking goals cutting in from the wing. He’s probably got the ability to play centrally but whether he can put the other elements together to do it at Championship level who knows.
He could be a really exciting player, I hope José manages to find a way to use his undoubted talent.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Apr 2019 20:14

Nameless
NewCorkSeth

He’s been playing as a winger. Probably because he’s not been fit enough or disciplined do enough to play a more central role. He can hit a great pass and scores some cracking goals cutting in from the wing. He’s probably got the ability to play centrally but whether he can put the other elements together to do it at Championship level who knows.
He could be a really exciting player, I hope José manages to find a way to use his undoubted talent.

To be honest at this point I trust Jose with my left nut. I'm excited to see what he can do with some of these prospects over the summer.

I'm sure a few of them see a good path into the first team right now.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 27 Apr 2019 20:44

Hound Bacuna, Swift and Baker have all taken decent set pieces at times certainly

Bacuna must be one of the quickest forgotten players in our history... we were around the bottom of the championship, he got a move to a premier league club and we have not missed him at all. Says so much about the emergence of Rinomohta and the loaners from January.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Apr 2019 21:29

Cape Town Royal
Hound Bacuna, Swift and Baker have all taken decent set pieces at times certainly

Bacuna must be one of the quickest forgotten players in our history... we were around the bottom of the championship, he got a move to a premier league club and we have not missed him at all. Says so much about the emergence of Rinomohta and the loaners from January.

We've been fortunate that Baker and Rinomhota formed a partnership and suffered no recent injuries.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 27 Apr 2019 22:07

Lower West
Cape Town Royal

We've been fortunate that Baker and Rinomhota formed a partnership and suffered no recent injuries.

I’d argue that Rinomhota being injured for a few games meant we weren’t safe much sooner.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Apr 2019 22:13

Well off the back of that I think I can start getting ahead of myself and suggest that several of our academy products should be looking to force a route into the first team.

Any of Southwood, Ward, Watson, Richard's, McIntyre, Holmes, Osho, East, Olise, Barrett or Novakovich could reasonably expect themselves to be in and around the squad if they show Gomes enough after the summer.

Loader and Rinomhota have broken through successfully so hopefully they follow their example.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 27 Apr 2019 22:14

leon
Lower West
Cape Town Royal

I’d argue that Rinomhota being injured for a few games meant we weren’t safe much sooner.

+1. He really is that much of a difference maker.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 27 Apr 2019 23:17

NewCorkSeth
leon
Lower West

Without Rinohmota’s injury perhaps Baker wouldn’t have played so deep in front of the back four and not found his role in the team. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Apr 2019 00:06

3points
NewCorkSeth
leon

Without Rinohmota’s injuryv perhaps Baker wouldn’t have played so deep in front of the back four and not found his role in the team. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes

Nah Rinomhota is quality so not having him in the team means our team is worse off. Baker has the quality to play anywhere in central midfield.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Apr 2019 09:52

Basically Reading need a goalkeeper, central defender, a DM, a general CM, an AM and a striker so basically they have to replace the 6 loans they have had at the club since January.

Ezatolahi might be a practical and good option given his age and availability but not sure how JG sees him. Given his injury he’s stuck around here with the squad rather than being returned in January so perhaps there is some scope there.

With FFP being taken seriously by Reading it is currently unlikely that permanent deals could be struck for any of the 5 shipped in in January (and let’s face it Martinez is extremely unlikely to join a Championship club permanently anyway - unless it is the only offer of regular 1st choice goalkeeper football he gets offered in the summer) without some major outgoings happening first.

That doesn’t rule out perhaps getting 1 or 2 of them back on loan for next season of course and maybe that’s what we should be hoping for as we and the players know exactly what to expect.

Next question would be how many of the youngsters (Osho, McIntyre, Richards, Novakovich, Loader, Barrett, East, Olise etc. - plus Kelly - are a) actually up to Championship level football for a club aspiring to reach the play offs (yes I know but that has to be what the club build for next season) and b) suit the style of football JG is wanting to play.

Finally how good is the scouting network at the club, how clued up are they as to what “bargains” are to be had from PL reserves, lower leagues and abroad that are in budget and are a good fit.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Apr 2019 11:22

Sutekh Basically Reading need a goalkeeper, central defender, a DM, a general CM, an AM and a striker so basically they have to replace the 6 loans they have had at the club since January.

Ezatolahi might be a practical and good option given his age and availability but not sure how JG sees him. Given his injury he’s stuck around here with the squad rather than being returned in January so perhaps there is some scope there.

With FFP being taken seriously by Reading it is currently unlikely that permanent deals could be struck for any of the 5 shipped in in January (and let’s face it Martinez is extremely unlikely to join a Championship club permanently anyway - unless it is the only offer of regular 1st choice goalkeeper football he gets offered in the summer) without some major outgoings happening first.

That doesn’t rule out perhaps getting 1 or 2 of them back on loan for next season of course and maybe that’s what we should be hoping for as we and the players know exactly what to expect.

Next question would be how many of the youngsters (Osho, McIntyre, Richards, Novakovich, Loader, Barrett, East, Olise etc. - plus Kelly - are a) actually up to Championship level football for a club aspiring to reach the play offs (yes I know but that has to be what the club build for next season) and b) suit the style of football JG is wanting to play.

Finally how good is the scouting network at the club, how clued up are they as to what “bargains” are to be had from PL reserves, lower leagues and abroad that are in budget and are a good fit.

Plus a proper, defensive-minded, left-footed and fit left-back.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Apr 2019 12:29

NewCorkSeth Well off the back of that I think I can start getting ahead of myself and suggest that several of our academy products should be looking to force a route into the first team.

Any of Southwood, Ward, Watson, Richard's, McIntyre, Holmes, Osho, East, Olise, Barrett or Novakovich could reasonably expect themselves to be in and around the squad if they show Gomes enough after the summer.

Loader and Rinomhota have broken through successfully so hopefully they follow their example.

Would be a great way to bulk out our numbers from an otherwise small squad.

An Academy XI wouldn't be too bad thinking about it.

...................Southwood
Watson, McIntyre, Osho, Obita
................Rinomhota, Kelly
............Olise, Loader, Barrett
....................Novakovich

Ward, Richards, Holmes, East, Frost, Holsgrove, Smith

Full 18 man squad and there's only one uncapped player in the first XI, and three on the bench. Plus several good prospects don't make it like Howe and House.

Not saying it would do well enough at this level, but I think it's hella-impressive.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 Apr 2019 16:01

Sutekh Basically Reading need a goalkeeper, central defender, a DM, a general CM, an AM and a striker so basically they have to replace the 6 loans they have had at the club since January.
With FFP being taken seriously by Reading it is currently unlikely that permanent deals could be struck for any of the 5 shipped in in January without some major outgoings happening first.

Re. 1st paragraph, I'd like to think we could sign one of them permanently by getting rid of the dead wood.
Signing a second one permanently may be dependent on us selling Swift and/or Moore.
And yes, getting another 1 or 2 re-signed on a loan again would be great.

Re. 2nd paragraph, that scouting network presumably were instrumental in finding those 5, and so it seems reasonable to think they could find some 'other' players too. Even if we don't bring back any of the 5 and have to move on, it suggests we're in good hands and that a blueprint is in place with regard to identifying players that fit our specific needs.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 28 Apr 2019 17:48

Denver Royal
With FFP being taken seriously by Reading it is currently unlikely that permanent deals could be struck for any of the 5 shipped in in January without some major outgoings happening first.

Re. 1st paragraph, I'd like to think we could sign one of them permanently by getting rid of the dead wood.
Signing a second one permanently may be dependent on us selling Swift and/or Moore.

Re. 2nd paragraph, that scouting network presumably were instrumental in finding those 5, and so it seems reasonable to think they could find some 'other' players too. Even if we don't bring back any of the 5 and have to move on, it suggests we're in good hands and that a blueprint is in place with regard to identifying players that fit our specific needs.

The Loan players were nothing to do with the scouting network, they were basically sourced by Kia Joorabchian's
agency

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 28 Apr 2019 18:07

72 bus
Denver Royal

The Loan players were nothing to do with the scouting network, they were basically sourced by Kia Joorabchian's
agency

What, so we never even looked at them then? Given the success of those 5, is it possible we can/should go down a similar route this Summer, and not actually need a scouting network? In the case of Oliveira, we had reportedly been wanting him for a couple of years, so he didn't need much scouting anyway.

1826 posts