Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Denver Royal » 29 Apr 2019 19:01

linkenholtroyal Another European club maybe seen as less of a risk to them. Uncertainty breeds weird things.

I'm not sure...

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 29 Apr 2019 19:59

linkenholtroyal
Zip
King Coppell Good to hear Jose has turned Novakovich’s loan club down regarding another loan and said the striker is not for sale. Interesting summer ahead for our younger players!

If Oliveira does come in as well then I think we’ll almost certainly see the back of Baldock and Jon Dadi.

...and McNulty

If it was me I would keep bod he is the best target man of the 3 not as good a oli but he can hold the ball up and play it off. Also goal to game ratio is pretty good.

The thing is if we were off work sick as much as him there would possibly be questions about our future employment.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Apr 2019 20:38

72 bus
linkenholtroyal
Zip
...and McNulty

If it was me I would keep bod he is the best target man of the 3 not as good a oli but he can hold the ball up and play it off. Also goal to game ratio is pretty good.

The thing is if we were off work sick as much as him there would possibly be questions about our future employment.

He’s been injured while at work, suspect there may be more of an issue around our H&S rather than questin8ng his sickness record !

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2019 11:36

wonder when we'll start to see the first leaks of players staying/not staying?

Been a few comments from the likes of McNulty and Gomes himself about 'when we are safe' there will be conversations. I reckon all the OOCs will know in the next few days tbh

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2019 11:52

Hound wonder when we'll start to see the first leaks of players staying/not staying?

Been a few comments from the likes of McNulty and Gomes himself about 'when we are safe' there will be conversations. I reckon all the OOCs will know in the next few days tbh

I think the players will now be aware whether or not they'll have their contracts renewed or not. If there's been no talk of a new contract after 9 months this season, I find it unlikely they'll be offered one now

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2019 11:57

URZZZZ
Hound wonder when we'll start to see the first leaks of players staying/not staying?

I think the players will now be aware whether or not they'll have their contracts renewed or not. If there's been no talk of a new contract after 9 months this season, I find it unlikely they'll be offered one now

you'd have thought so. Obvs what division we were in would have had some bearing - Anssi and McShane for example may have been worth holding onto in Div1. Harriott is probably the only one who they may still be deciding on you'd think

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2019 12:00

Yeah possibly, maybe Saturday was half an hour for Harriott to show what he's got with the game against Birmingham being his last chance considering he hadn't played for a while before Boro. Personally thought he was poor, he seems to have a real problem controlling the ball, kept bouncing off him, but could be useful as a squad player next season? Wouldn't mind either way in all honesty

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2019 13:31

well bang on cue - looks like O'Shea is retiring...

edit: confrimed. Well thats one off the wage bill...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2019 13:35

Any news on a coaching role?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2019 13:37

dunno. Know there was a kerfuffle on that earlier, but don't see why we'd need another coach tbh. So personally doubt it.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Apr 2019 16:17

Snowflake Royal Any news on a coaching role?

Ian, not sure Howe/Gomes would want to take him on as a coach here. What's your take?
If Clement was still here I think it might be different, but any arrangement/agreement (if there was one) made back then may not hold up now, and/or O'Shea may not still want it now anyway(?).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2019 17:42

Denvers,

I had my doubts about O'Shea's value as a coach and that being what we'd brought him in for under Clement.

Gomes seems to have an established coaching team, and has brought in his own consultant too. On that basis I find it doubtful he wants to take on O'Shea in a coaching role.

A lot was made of his experience and how he could influence the dressing room. My response to that has always been it didn't do a lot of good at double relegated Sunderland, and it didn't seem to do a lot for us whilst Clement or Marshall were in charge either.

I thought he was a shit signing at the time and I still think he was a shit signing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2019 18:01

Snowflake Royal Denvers,

I had my doubts about O'Shea's value as a coach and that being what we'd brought him in for under Clement.

Gomes seems to have an established coaching team, and has brought in his own consultant too. On that basis I find it doubtful he wants to take on O'Shea in a coaching role.

A lot was made of his experience and how he could influence the dressing room. My response to that has always been it didn't do a lot of good at double relegated Sunderland, and it didn't seem to do a lot for us whilst Clement or Marshall were in charge either.

I thought he was a shit signing at the time and I still think he was a shit signing.

Had this argument before, but I think it's still harsh on O'Shea, he's still had 3 or 4 decent games when the team was at one of its lowest points. I would argue he hasn't been awful - just a bit of a pointless signing really who when fit can do a half decent job

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Apr 2019 18:06

I consider 3-4 games from a senior pro to be shit. We're paying him for a year, not a fortnight. Not saying his brief interludes on the pitch themselves were shit. He's not exactly represented 'value added' has he. Would we really have been worse off not paying him a penny and giving Osho, McIntyre, Holmes, East an extra appearance or two?

Although his midfield appearance he may as well have been just sat in the centre circle. I'm also not impressed with his red card, caused exclusively by having legs made of lead, either.

But yeah, I'm sure we've done this before.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2019 18:11

Yeah, the midfield appearance was ridiculous. And like I’ve said before I’m not saying the signing was good - it was rather pointless. I just find it harsh when people call him an awful footballer because I think he’s generally been steady when playing. Although getting paced by Chris Martin was a bit embarrassing

Side note, but has Moore ever been sent off for us? Trying to think back, three seasons without a red card for a CB seems a pretty decent record, considering he’s been a regular for most of it

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2019 19:18

One of the big issues with O Shea was his injuries this year. Think maybe by not playing every week his age caught up on him. Injured twice while warming up and seems to have spent at least half the season with a calf injury

Great career behind him, but it wasn’t a good signing

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Apr 2019 19:24

Snowflake Royal Denvers,

Yes, well said. Thought he was ok when he played, but I didn't understand the signing.
Have to question who was really behind it, and I wonder if even Clement was?
And, yes, I too doubt whether he'll be coaching here under the new regime.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Apr 2019 21:43

Denver Royal Yes, well said. Thought he was ok when he played, but I didn't understand the signing.
Have to question who was really behind it, and I wonder if even Clement was?

Some experience within the squad and dressing room. Despite his lack of appearances. Being the professional that he is, I'm sure that he has had influence behind the scenes. Clement had clearly identified a lack of character within the squad last summer.

As we've seen this season. Far too often a game of two halves. Far too inconsistant as a team.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2019 07:39

Rumours that Popa has agreed a perm deal with Ludogrets

also mention that we might be interested in Livingstone 'Keeper Liam Kelly for 50k. Apparently a 'modern-day' keeper who is good with the ball at his feet, so would fit

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 May 2019 09:35

Hound well bang on cue - looks like O'Shea is retiring...

edit: confrimed. Well thats one off the wage bill...

According to the BBC Berks 5.30pm sports desk last night John O'Shea announced his retirement from professional rugby,

1826 posts