Speculation - Players From The Relegated Trio

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Speculation - Players From The Relegated Trio

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Apr 2019 16:29

URZZZZ
John Smith
Snowball Other Champ clubs would fancy McNulty, Kelly, Gunter, Jaakola, Blackett, Richards

No they wouldn't but please if you know any get on the phone and let them know.

Harsh on Blackett. Gunter probably would as well, other four I don't see

Well we know at least Wigan wanted Blackett. Dont know what everyone's issue with Richards is.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2019 16:54

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
John Smith No they wouldn't but please if you know any get on the phone and let them know.

Well we know at least Wigan wanted Blackett. Dont know what everyone's issue with Richards is.

I don't have an issue with Richards. At this moment in time, he's not a championship level LB, in his last three starts as a LB, we've conceded four twice and he should have been sent off the other time so was quickly subbed to prevent that

There's a reason Stam ushered him in slowly, there's a reason Clement had him as third choice LB, there's a reason Gomes hasn't played him as a LB, recently preferring to play him as a LW. It's because he's currently not good enough to be a championship LB. It's nothing to do with an issue people have with him, it's just he hasn't delivered admittedly on a small amount of game time this season

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 30 Apr 2019 16:57

muirinho
Magic Hat
Hound
yes was Ilori about 3.75m I believe. Moore was between 1 and 1.5m from the reports

I think Gunter adn Mariappa were both rumored to be around £3m between those?

About £2m each I think. But some of that may have been dependent on us staying up, which we didn't do.

I know there are many who don't like Gunts - but in terms of transfer cost per game played it's pretty low. And we made a profit on Mapps when we sold him on. Neither were record signings though.

Whether a player is an expensive failure isn't just about transfer fees of course. You'd think overall cost compared to return would be a better marker. Like Pog for instance - undeniably expensive, regardless of whether we had to pay a fee for him. I wonder how much Drenthe was on - now he definitely was a flop!

I think it was
Halford
Emerse Fae
then I think it was....

Tiago Ilori
and then Sone Aluko

only one I can say that was good even for a short while was Ilori

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 30 Apr 2019 17:19

So, along similar lines to the original post, are there any players from the sides going up to the Prem who are not Premier League quality but who can still do a job at Championship level (and are affordable)?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Apr 2019 17:40

Nelson Oliveira might be one

Assuming Norwood will actually get a chance in the prem this time. I think a lot depends on whether the managers want to do a ‘Fulham’ and forget all the players who got them promoted or give them a chance

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2019 22:31

linkenholtroyal
muirinho
Magic Hat
I think Gunter adn Mariappa were both rumored to be around £3m between those?

About £2m each I think. But some of that may have been dependent on us staying up, which we didn't do.

I know there are many who don't like Gunts - but in terms of transfer cost per game played it's pretty low. And we made a profit on Mapps when we sold him on. Neither were record signings though.

Whether a player is an expensive failure isn't just about transfer fees of course. You'd think overall cost compared to return would be a better marker. Like Pog for instance - undeniably expensive, regardless of whether we had to pay a fee for him. I wonder how much Drenthe was on - now he definitely was a flop!

I think it was
Halford
Emerse Fae
then I think it was....

Tiago Ilori
and then Sone Aluko

only one I can say that was good even for a short while was Ilori

Mariappa was our record signing at the time.

On topic, I'd be cautiously optimistic if we could get Teddy Bishop. Unfortunately he has an even worse injury record than the average Reading player.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 01 May 2019 04:50

Vaulks is the only person I’d consider alongside Ajayi. All three have crap squads and honestly whilst Rotherham tried, Ipswich and Bolton have been an embarrassment.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2019 07:32

NewCorkSeth
Jagermesiter1871
CountryRoyal Whilst not saying you can’t get good players from relegated sides (Yiadom), they’re relegated for a reason and more often than not it’s because the players aren’t good enough. I’d quite like it if shipped a bit higher.

Yeh thats worked well for us in the past - Aluko, Pog etc.

Pog was a free who scored 24 league goals for the club making him something like our 8th highest championship scorer. Its not his fault we paid him so much.

No, he had no say in his wages. :roll:

Also, that's not even correct. He scored 19 Championship goals, not 24. Five of his league goals were in the Premier League.

Kitson, Doyle, Forster, Long, Le Fondre, NHunt, Sidwell, Morley all scored more than 24 tier 2 goals for us just off the top of my head.

Hell, Church scored more Championship goals than he actually got.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 May 2019 07:54

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Jagermesiter1871

Pog was a free who scored 24 league goals for the club making him something like our 8th highest championship scorer. Its not his fault we paid him so much.

Also, that's not even correct. He scored 19 Championship goals, not 24. Five of his league goals were in the Premier League.

Kitson, Doyle, Forster, Long, Le Fondre, NHunt, Sidwell, Morley all scored more than 24 tier 2 goals for us just off the top of my head.

Ah. Thats what I deserve for skimming his wiki. My bad.

What I mean is if I have an interview and I ask for extortionate wages and they agree. Thats their fault more than its mine.

I did say "Championship" and I did say "something like our 8th highest". Long, Kitson, Le Fondre and Doyle outscored him easily yes, Noel Hunt had 4 seasons to outscore him, Church had 3.

I'm not trying to argue he was worth the money but he did alright in a poor team. If he cost half the wages people would have been happy to have him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 May 2019 08:00

SCIAG
On topic, I'd be cautiously optimistic if we could get Teddy Bishop. Unfortunately he has an even worse injury record than the average Reading player.

What, he’s dead?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 01 May 2019 09:24

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

I don't have an issue with Richards. At this moment in time, he's not a championship level LB, in his last three starts as a LB, we've conceded four twice and he should have been sent off the other time so was quickly subbed to prevent that

There's a reason Stam ushered him in slowly, there's a reason Clement had him as third choice LB, there's a reason Gomes hasn't played him as a LB, recently preferring to play him as a LW. It's because he's currently not good enough to be a championship LB. It's nothing to do with an issue people have with him, it's just he hasn't delivered admittedly on a small amount of game time this season

I love blooding through academy players more than anything but we need to be ruthless here. He isn't an improvement on what we have and his stint in League One didn't show him to have the potential required for what we should be aiming for. Therefore, it's with regret that he must go.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 01 May 2019 09:29

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Jagermesiter1871

Pog is our 7th best Premier League scorer of ALL Time!

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 May 2019 09:41

John Smith
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Well we know at least Wigan wanted Blackett. Dont know what everyone's issue with Richards is.

I love blooding through academy players more than anything but we need to be ruthless here. He isn't an improvement on what we have and his stint in League One didn't show him to have the potential required for what we should be aiming for. Therefore, it's with regret that he must go.

Wait. Omar Richard's had a stint in league 1?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 May 2019 09:44

John Smith
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Well we know at least Wigan wanted Blackett. Dont know what everyone's issue with Richards is.

What stint in League One?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 May 2019 10:06

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
URZZZZ

Wait. Omar Richard's had a stint in league 1?

No, he didn't.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 May 2019 10:30

parky
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Pog was a free who scored 24 league goals for the club making him something like our 8th highest championship scorer. Its not his fault we paid him so much.

Yes,for ALL those years that we have been in the Premier League during which we probably had 7,8 or 9 strikers. :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 May 2019 10:51

Victor Meldrew
parky
Snowflake Royal No, he had no say in his wages. :roll:

Yes,for ALL those years that we have been in the Premier League during which we probably had 7,8 or 9 strikers. :wink:

And let's not forget, Pog was playing with Gunter so with his deliveries, you'd be expecting at least 20 goals a season in the Prem

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 May 2019 11:04

URZZZZ
Victor Meldrew
parky

And let's not forget, Pog was playing with Gunter so with his deliveries, you'd be expecting at least 20 goals a season in the Prem

Tbf, his header v Chelsea at the bridge was one of the best headed goals I have seen for Reading.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 May 2019 11:16

URZZZZ
Victor Meldrew
parky

:D :D

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 May 2019 13:19

Victor Meldrew
parky
Snowflake Royal No, he had no say in his wages. :roll:

9 by my count (Strikers who played a league game).
Doyle(19), Le Fondre(12), Kitson(12), Lita(8), Long (5), Pog(5), Hunt(2), Blackman(0), Roberts(0)