The Danny Loader conundrum

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Danny Loader conundrum

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2019 11:56

Old Man Andrews Lets face it, with Baldock, Bodvarsson and Oliveira not being here next season I would imagine we will need Danny Loader so as much as I think he isn't the answer he might be our only hope so theres no point in doing anything other than backing him to the hilt.

This is where I'm slightly confused, Gomes doesn't see Loader as a striker, hence why he plays him as part of the 3 behind the striker. Even against West Brom when we had no recognised striker on the pitch, he was still playing in the hole with McCleary and Barrow rotating up front

Surely there's no correlation between Baldock, Bodvarsson and whoever leaving to Danny Loader as they play in different positions?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Apr 2019 12:02

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Lets face it, with Baldock, Bodvarsson and Oliveira not being here next season I would imagine we will need Danny Loader so as much as I think he isn't the answer he might be our only hope so theres no point in doing anything other than backing him to the hilt.

This is where I'm slightly confused, Gomes doesn't see Loader as a striker, hence why he plays him as part of the 3 behind the striker. Even against West Brom when we had no recognised striker on the pitch, he was still playing in the hole with McCleary and Barrow rotating up front

Surely there's no correlation between Baldock, Bodvarsson and whoever leaving to Danny Loader as they play in different positions?

Think Loader would end up being a deep striker under Gomes next season. He sees the front 3 as interchangeable during a game so Loader I guess should just be labelled as an attacker. We are probably losing 3 potential attackers so Loader could well end up being first choice.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Apr 2019 12:49

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

Think Loader would end up being a deep striker under Gomes next season. He sees the front 3 as interchangeable during a game so Loader I guess should just be labelled as an attacker. We are probably losing 3 potential attackers so Loader could well end up being first choice.
I'd sincerely hope our owners are not so desperate for cash that we start next season in a position where Loader is first choice striker. I can see him being able to play across the front line if needed but I think his best position his role last Saturday, off the main striker or maybe a modern wide man who comes roams in search of the ball like Salah and Mane.

He's also not ready to be the main man. A good season for him next year would be a handful of starts but mainly appearances off the bench. 5-10 goals would be a good return.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Apr 2019 13:00

WestYorksRoyal
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

I'd sincerely hope our owners are not so desperate for cash that we start next season in a position where Loader is first choice striker. I can see him being able to play across the front line if needed but I think his best position his role last Saturday, off the main striker or maybe a modern wide man who comes roams in search of the ball like Salah and Mane.

He's also not ready to be the main man. A good season for him next year would be a handful of starts but mainly appearances off the bench. 5-10 goals would be a good return.

Not sure I agree with that last bit, how do you know he won't be ready? He wasn't ready for a relegation battle this season but that experience may have really helped him in the long run. You never know, with a good game against Boro and hopefully another good game against Birmingham with a pre-season ahead, he could quite easily slot into the first 11

Let's be honest, this time last season, how many would have predicted Rinomhota's surge into the first team?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Apr 2019 13:04

NewCorkSeth
Nameless
Victor Meldrew
Loader may be the youngest ever player to have his own HNA topic.

I’m sure someone will start a Michael Olise thread just for the hell of it.....

Coniah Boyce-Clarke has one from when he turned 16. Must be the record.

TBM started one about Tariqe Fosu when he was in the U16s. I successfully tipped Kuhl, Kelly and Stacey as future first team players in the same thread 8)

Think Tshibola and Tanner might have achieved the same honour of having a thread when they were still in the U16s. Osei-Tutu?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Apr 2019 13:19

URZZZZ
WestYorksRoyal
Old Man Andrews

Not sure I agree with that last bit, how do you know he won't be ready? He wasn't ready for a relegation battle this season but that experience may have really helped him in the long run. You never know, with a good game against Boro and hopefully another good game against Birmingham with a pre-season ahead, he could quite easily slot into the first 11

Let's be honest, this time last season, how many would have predicted Rinomhota's surge into the first team?

Fair; he could kick on and really cement his place. But he's only turning 19 in August and we shouldn't put that pressure on him. If he goes on to have a good start to the season and displace more experienced players then great.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 30 Apr 2019 16:10

The Enfield Royal71
John Smith
windermereROYAL I think a big decision on Nova should be coming in the summer too, there are is bound to be interest from Holland.
One year left on his contract and can leave for nothing next year. I`m all for getting him back here next season. big and strong, just what we need.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone piped up about him. Forget him - he will never, ever play for Reading again because he isn't good enough to do so.

Yet again your lack of football knowledge is astounding.

Nova is miles better then LOLoader. I think cutting our ties with Loader now is the best option.

I've never seen two candidates for worst ever post in one place at the same time. Astounding!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 01 May 2019 20:15

Tilehurstsouthbank
The Enfield Royal71
John Smith I was wondering how long it would take before someone piped up about him. Forget him - he will never, ever play for Reading again because he isn't good enough to do so.

Yet again your lack of football knowledge is astounding.

Nova is miles better then LOLoader. I think cutting our ties with Loader now is the best option.

I've never seen two candidates for worst ever poster in one place at the same time. Astounding!

Corrected

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 02 May 2019 02:23

Think Loader will surprise a few next season, seems very common these days to see youngsters suddenly burst into the scene. Give him a new contract which reflects him as a squad player, Gomes stops thinking he’s a striker, don’t loan him out(league one is the worst place he can go to) and I’m very sure this time next summer he will be top of the list of players we want to keep.

Probably bound to get grief for suggesting a new contract but I’m fairly sure his contract ends next year, if he lights up the league and the premier league come calling it’ll be incredibly difficult to convince him to stay therefore risk losing him for a small amount. At least then we could get a good fee for him, Norwich got £20m for James Maddison ffs. On the other hand if he does meh like he has this season then we still have a valuable asset secured for the next few years. In my books that’s win win.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 May 2019 07:44

Maddison was truly exceptional last season; probably the stand out player in the league. I agree that a new contract is a good idea like we've done with Rinho and Meite this season but I'd be surprised to see him scale those heights so soon. Remember Maddison was 2 years older last year than Loader is now; you get a lot of maturity in those years.

That being said, he only had 2 decent loans prior to breaking into Norwich's team and he hadn't set the world alight. Similarly Rinho was 21 this season and had no loan experience.

I really don't think the loan route works for everyone and we don't need youngsters to tear up L1 or L2 before they're ready. The other thing I'd say is that in footballing terms there's a big difference between 18 and 21; we should be careful with players at such a young age and try to avoid overwhelming them with pressure.

P.s. before anyone raises it, I know Maddison scored that insane free kick v Rangers on loan. But it was one moment and his overall level of performance in the spell was nothing like what he's achieved for Norwich and Leicester.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 03 May 2019 00:58

Moussa Dembele is more similar case than Maddison imo - he scored bucket loads for Fulham youth teams (and seemingly always against us), broke through at the same age as Loader - 11 league games in 2014/15 (as an 18 year old) for 330 minutes and 0 goals 0 assists. Next season he forced his way into the first team (waiting until the 4th game for the first of his 37 starts), featuring in all but one game for 3360 minutes and 15 goals and 6 assists as a 19 year old, leading to a £16m move to Celtic. He is now the joint 6th top scorer in Ligue 1 (despite limited minutes - 1809) and playing Champions League football for 3rd placed Lyon. Only 3 Ligue 1 players (with >400mins) have an xG90 above his 0.7 - Mbappe, Cavani and Neymar.

Personally, I don't think Loader has the potential to match Dembele yet (although their records for u16-u19 National Teams are comparable... :? ), but it goes to show that anyone writing him off after this season is doing so very prematurely. I would be concerned if he was leading our line next season as it's a huge gamble, but would hope he gets plenty of minutes and the opportunity to break into the first team fully as Dembele did.

Of course, lower down the spectrum is Moussa's teammate from the Fulham youth team that always used to beat us, Cauley Woodrow. Despite 29 first team appearances as an 18/19 year old in the same 2014/15 season that Moussa only played 11 games, he is now with League 1 Barnsley after 15 goals across 82 championship games (52 for Fulham, plus two loans).

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 03 May 2019 02:31

URZZZZ [This is where I'm slightly confused, Gomes doesn't see Loader as a striker, hence why he plays him as part of the 3 behind the striker.

Well yeah, at Loader’s age and stage of development, in the Champ, reckon that’s how he see’s him right now. And, prolly so would I. Would you play him differently?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 May 2019 14:44

Denver Royal
URZZZZ [This is where I'm slightly confused, Gomes doesn't see Loader as a striker, hence why he plays him as part of the 3 behind the striker.

Well yeah, at Loader’s age and stage of development, in the Champ, reckon that’s how he see’s him right now. And, prolly so would I. Would you play him differently?

Think you misunderstood my point. I was replying to OMA who said Baldock, Bodvarsson and co leaving would mean Loader would be first choice striker and I said Loader wasn't being played as a striker at the moment, and playing as one of the "attackers" behind the striker, so the two don't really correlate

And yeah, I think he is better there, he looks at his best facing and running towards the goal, rather than with his back to goal, similar to the Meite debate

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 05 May 2019 16:48

Played really well today, seems completely different to how he was at first. Definitely showing signs of a player worth keeping around

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 05 May 2019 18:38

TiagoIlori Played really well today, seems completely different to how he was at first. Definitely showing signs of a player worth keeping around

My thoughts exactly. I said to my mate he is playing like he believes he belongs in the team.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 May 2019 18:50

ayjaydee
TiagoIlori Played really well today, seems completely different to how he was at first. Definitely showing signs of a player worth keeping around

My thoughts exactly. I said to my mate he is playing like he believes he belongs in the team.

When you are playing with your academy teammates then the understanding is already ingrained. Obviously helped by playing with intelligent passers of the ball such as Lewis Baker.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 May 2019 18:51

Today he seemed more confident, stronger, trickier, happier to get stuck in and do the defensive work. That goal or the fact this wasn't a pressure game, or a combination of both helped a lot.