Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

2100 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Club 1871 - the What, When, Where, How, Who & Why Thread

by Hendo » 03 May 2019 14:30

John Smith
RichTea94 Flying over for this game, looking forward to being in the South Stand.

Only arrive in Reading around 11:30. Is there anywhere at the stadium to leave my suitcase, or am I going to have to make my own arrangements?

Try ringing the Madejski hotel in advance and seeing what they can do.

Actually not a bad shout, or try ringing the hospitality number if the hotel is unsuccessful.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 03 May 2019 15:27

Hendo
John Smith
RichTea94 Flying over for this game, looking forward to being in the South Stand.

Only arrive in Reading around 11:30. Is there anywhere at the stadium to leave my suitcase, or am I going to have to make my own arrangements?

Try ringing the Madejski hotel in advance and seeing what they can do.

Actually not a bad shout, or try ringing the hospitality number if the hotel is unsuccessful.

I went to a game once straight off a flight from Gatwick, had all my bags etc with me. I tried to leave at the hotel but they wouldn't oblige. In the end spoke to head steward and he put them in a behind-closed-doors area in the ground at my own responsibility, which was fine.

Perhaps trying to organise something in advance might elicit a better outcome.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 03 May 2019 16:51

Find them as lost and hand in at anywhere.. then collect them later as yours?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 03 May 2019 17:08

LWJ

Find them as lost and hand in at anywhere.. then collect them later as yours?

Might work with a pair of gloves - but a suitcase "lost" could get the stadium evacuated!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 19:36

Actually thought today wasn’t close to the level of West Brom or Brentford in terms of club1871. Started off pretty well but as the game got flat, so did the support today

Expected more from a sell out but considering how poor most the game was and how they’ve been the last few games, it’s not too much of a problem

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 19:48

URZZZZ Actually thought today wasn’t close to the level of West Brom or Brentford in terms of club1871. Started off pretty well but as the game got flat, so did the support today

Expected more from a sell out but considering how poor most the game was and how they’ve been the last few games, it’s not too much of a problem

I thought they did pretty well and kept singing throughout. There was a lack of intensity in the game. There was much more riding on the games you mentioned. The Brum fans were very quiet for nearly the entire game and woke up a bit like their team in the final few minutes.

Club 1871 have turned things around and deserve a lot of credit.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 19:51

Zip
URZZZZ Actually thought today wasn’t close to the level of West Brom or Brentford in terms of club1871. Started off pretty well but as the game got flat, so did the support today

I thought they did pretty well and kept singing throughout. There was a lack of intensity in the game. There was much more riding on the games you mentioned. The Brum fans were very quiet for nearly the entire game and woke up a bit like their team in the final few minutes.

I know a few fans who go there. They've been on my back to go in that stand but even they said it was a bit meh today. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the last couple. Which, as you said was understandable given there was nothing riding on the game

I'm just surprised I'm reading in the BFTG reports how good it was today, thought it was just average really

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 May 2019 20:01

URZZZZ
Zip

I know a few fans who go there. They've been on my back to go in that stand but even they said it was a bit meh today. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the last couple. Which, as you said was understandable given there was nothing riding on the game

I'm just surprised I'm reading in the BFTG reports how good it was today, thought it was just average really

I enjoyed today because there was nothing riding on it. Its been so tense all season. Just for a change it was nice to relax and not worry about relegation. It just felt more upbeat than it has been for a long long time.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 05 May 2019 20:26

Thought 1871 was good today. First time I had joined in and it rather brought back memories of the Southbank !

Is Urzz the most downbeat, negative person around. Never seems to have a good thing to say about anything ....

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 20:52

Nameless Thought 1871 was good today. First time I had joined in and it rather brought back memories of the Southbank !

Is Urzz the most downbeat, negative person around. Never seems to have a good thing to say about anything ....

Praise should be warranted

In the case of most of the players I criticise, they are paid more/as much in a week as a lot of people earn in a year. They’ve only delivered when it really matters. Well a season is 9 months long, not one or two. Yet again, it’s been a huge disappointment, saved by meite having a purple patch and a bit of character finally shown towards the end. This squad is a hell of a lot better than 20th place

As for club1871 I said they’ve improved and recently generated a good atmosphere but today was a bit flat, certainly compared to the last couple anyway. Different people see/hear different things. If you thought it was it’s usual high standard as of late, then great. No need to cry about it if not everyone agrees

But hey ho let’s scrap the debates and make sure everyone holds the exact same opinion on every single matter so it’s all nicey nicey in here

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 20:59

Cliche post, but had two non RFC supporting mates go today and on their ‘match reports’ back they mentioned how surprisingly great the atmosphere was

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 May 2019 21:02

Must be my hearing then, but the few people that I know that do go in that stand did say it wasn’t great today. Whether or not you choose to believe that is up to you though

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 05 May 2019 21:18

URZZZZ Must be my hearing then, but the few people that I know that do go in that stand did say it wasn’t great today. Whether or not you choose to believe that is up to you though

I do believe that, moved my seats into lower y25 for the game and thought club 1871 were pretty quiet, especially considering the numbers. I wasn’t sure how much it was due to placement but thought Birmingham were very loud and in contrast thought we were really quite poor. It’s baby steps but it would make such a difference if ALL the people put effort into the chants. Far too often I’ve seen people either not singing or actually speaking the chants, there’s oxf*rd all point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 May 2019 21:25

URZZZZ Must be my hearing then, but the few people that I know that do go in that stand did say it wasn’t great today. Whether or not you choose to believe that is up to you though

Ah well it’s only the second game they’ve been to all season. Didn’t go myself today but wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t match the heights of the wba game

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 05 May 2019 21:54

Reading fans reverting to type #facepalm

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 05 May 2019 22:01

As an "old boy Southbank" have to say that C1871 were (again) FANTASTIC today.

Second home again on the trot I have dragged along a "casual" and both times they have been impressed.

Superb today. You guys are superb and may well be our "12th man" next season. PLEASE keep it going.

One other point. I unfortunately ended up drinking in a pub this afternoon and talking to a handful of Brum goons. They
admitted that they have never heard Reading fans be as loud.

Hats offs to you all.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 06 May 2019 07:13

URZZZZ
But hey ho let’s scrap the debates and make sure everyone holds the exact same opinion on every single matter so it’s all nicey nicey in here

No one said you can’t have a downbeat opinion, and it’s ironic that you seem to want to stop people expressing the opinion that is different to yours ! A debate involves more than you stating a ‘controversial’ view and everyone just accepting it. If you don’t want comment then don’t pretend you are contributing to a debate.
You surely can’t deny that you unwaveringly take a negative view of things. No reason for you not to do that if that is what you think, but also no reason why others can’t comment on it.
Personally I’d rather judge things like 1871 on personal experience rather than your possibly mythical ‘mates’.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 May 2019 08:54

Nameless
URZZZZ

No one said you can’t have a downbeat opinion, and it’s ironic that you seem to want to stop people expressing the opinion that is different to yours ! A debate involves more than you stating a ‘controversial’ view and everyone just accepting it. If you don’t want comment then don’t pretend you are contributing to a debate.
You surely can’t deny that you unwaveringly take a negative view of things. No reason for you not to do that if that is what you think, but also no reason why others can’t comment on it.
Personally I’d rather judge things like 1871 on personal experience rather than your possibly mythical ‘mates’.

I’m certainly not stopping anyone else expressing a different opinion. I clearly said different people can hear or see different things so it could have been myself in the wrong

Not sure I particularly agree with your second point either. Whilst I have criticized some things, I’ve consistently praised other things and again I clearly said that club1871 had been doing well the last few games.

But maybe I’m not as upbeat and positive as others. Personally I’m not satisfied that we’ve just escaped the drop two seasons in a row with the squad we have. These players didn’t deserve the reception they got yesterday, they’ve been an utter disgrace for nearly 24 months now. Just grateful Gomes or whoever brought in some fantastic loan players

And yeah I can assure you it’s not “mythical” but you have no real reason to believe me so fair enough

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 May 2019 09:55

URZZZZ
Zip

I was in it and thought the same. End of season meaningless match to go through the motions (typified by O'Shea sentamentalism :wink: )

Still better than 90% of the atmospheres I experienced last season. And many in the two or three season before that.

A high bar has been set.

Definitely did not like people calling the lino a paedo though. Grow up.

King Coppell

by King Coppell » 06 May 2019 12:58

Birmingham fans not happy they were outsung by “tinpot” Reading. We’re making a habit of upsetting the away fans. Lovely stuff!

2100 posts