RIP - Gordon Neate

Edelston & Brice

Re: RIP - Gordon Neate

by Edelston & Brice » 11 May 2019 09:16

A wonderful servant of our club as a player and groundsman. I remember when we played Accrington Stanley in about 1960 there was an article in one of the papers about the potential tussle between Gordon Neate and Harvey McCreadie - potentially two of the brightest young players in the game. Neither of them really made the big time as a player, but there are few people who have served RFC for as long as Gordon. Deep sympathy to his family.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 11 May 2019 11:43

WoodleyRoyal Should call something at the group after him. Not a stand but maybe the bar in the south west corner or something.

Surely the bar should be called "The Robin Friday Bar"? But, agree something should be named after Gorden, though. Any other ideas, apart from a Blue Plaque, which I also agree with. maybe one of the lawn mowers could have his name on the side of it! Was it him or Peter Shreeves who broke a leg after being called up to the Welsh Squad but before the match?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 May 2019 11:44

Dick Habbin's hairdo Very sad news and condolences to his family.

Fred forking the pitch at EP at h/t, Jimmy Wallbanks running on the with the magic sponge and the chap whose name I forget now - short, always wore a bobble hat and traipsed around the cinder before game selling Golden Gamble - are three endearing and enduring memories of EP.

Think his name was Henry?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 May 2019 16:00

The Royal Forester
WoodleyRoyal Should call something at the group after him. Not a stand but maybe the bar in the south west corner or something.

Surely the bar should be called "The Robin Friday Bar"? But, agree something should be named after Gorden, though. Any other ideas, apart from a Blue Plaque, which I also agree with. maybe one of the lawn mowers could have his name on the side of it! Was it him or Peter Shreeves who broke a leg after being called up to the Welsh Squad but before the match?

Understand that you're not making a serious suggestion but I've always thought it a shame that people like Gordon, Hicks, Evans, Senior, Spiers, even Beavon and Gilkesy, get less recognition than a guy who played for us for a little over two years. I understand that Friday made a huge impression but there are so many tributes to him at the ground and currently nothing for Gordon who gave decades of loyal service and genuinely loved the club.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 11 May 2019 16:24

SCIAG
The Royal Forester

Understand that you're not making a serious suggestion but I've always thought it a shame that people like Gordon, Hicks, Evans, Senior, Spiers, even Beavon and Gilkesy, get less recognition than a guy who played for us for a little over two years. I understand that Friday made a huge impression but there are so many tributes to him at the ground and currently nothing for Gordon who gave decades of loyal service and genuinely loved the club.

You are right, it was tongue in cheek, another one who comes to mind is Jimmy Wheeler who as reserve team manager got the reserve team promoted, (I think it was the clubs first promotion for about thirty odd years).
I also heard him mentioned on "Workers Playtime" by none other than Jimmy Wheeler (The comedian), The programme was being broadcast from Huntley & Palmer's factory, if I remember correctly. Elm Park also got a mention. The gag went along the lines of " When the floodlights went out at Elm Park, the crowd were told to raise their hands, as many hands make light work". They say the old ones are the best. That by the way, is not tongue in cheek, I really do remember hearing it when my parents had the radio on. can anyone remember it?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 May 2019 16:44

The Royal Forester
SCIAG
The Royal Forester Surely the bar should be called "The Robin Friday Bar"? But, agree something should be named after Gorden, though. Any other ideas, apart from a Blue Plaque, which I also agree with. maybe one of the lawn mowers could have his name on the side of it! Was it him or Peter Shreeves who broke a leg after being called up to the Welsh Squad but before the match?

You are right, it was tongue in cheek, another one who comes to mind is Jimmy Wheeler who as reserve team manager got the reserve team promoted, (I think it was the clubs first promotion for about thirty odd years).
I also heard him mentioned on "Workers Playtime" by none other than Jimmy Wheeler (The comedian), The programme was being broadcast from Huntley & Palmer's factory, if I remember correctly. Elm Park also got a mention. The gag went along the lines of " When the floodlights went out at Elm Park, the crowd were told to raise their hands, as many hands make light work". They say the old ones are the best. That by the way, is not tongue in cheek, I really do remember hearing it when my parents had the radio on. can anyone remember it?

Talking of other deserving names wasn’t there also Fred Bartholomew who served the club very well over a very long period as player, trainer and groundsman plus fighting in the 1st world war? Wasn’t he the groundsman before Gordon?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 11 May 2019 17:36

Details from Wikipedia;- Fred was colour sargeant in the Middlesex Regiment during the First World War, played in Southern League, retired from playing in 1923 was coach for three years, Groundsman for fifty-three years until retirement in 1957, so Gorden quite likely took over from him. Can any other club claim two ex-players being groundsman for about a century? That takes some doing, it must show what ex-players thought about our club in those days,
Edit. Just looked at Gordon's Wikipedia. He became groundsman in 1966, and retired in 2009. Therefore, they were groundsmen for 96 years between them, but Gordon did not follow on from Fred.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 11 May 2019 18:01

Mid Sussex Royal

Fred forking the pitch at EP at h/t, Jimmy Wallbanks running on the with the magic sponge and the chap whose name I forget now - short, always wore a bobble hat and traipsed around the cinder before game selling Golden Gamble - are three endearing and enduring memories of EP.

Yes it was

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 11 May 2019 18:21

AthleticoSpizz Anybody else from here, there for Freds testimonial at EP?

Yeah I was there. Seem to remember there were temporary goalposts after eejits tore down the old ones after the last ever EP game or something. Johnny Brooks making an appearance on the wing?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 May 2019 19:40

The Royal Forester

It was Shreeves. Neate was a Reading lad. Agree that there should be recognition of his very many years with the club that he so obviously loved. RIP.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 12 May 2019 08:42

SCIAG Few people have given as much to this club as Gordon. Deserves a blue plaque next to Maurice Evans and Roy Tranter.

I second that!

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 12 May 2019 08:45

Mid Sussex Royal Definite club legend - RIP Gordon.

Was he the guy that put neat weedkiller on the pitch just before the start of the season (can't remember year) but the pitch was dreadful for months

He also caught some Bournemouth fans paint spraying before the game at Elm Park back in 75 and gave them a good hiding. Top bloke.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 May 2019 10:37

And of course "Lofty" shouting out "England B" whenever Dave Meeson touched the ball-his voice could easily be heard as far away as under the clock.
Agree with those suggesting that there should be some recognition for Fred, a great club man.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 May 2019 11:02

Royality creeps In
Mid Sussex Royal

Yes it was

He also had responsibility for parking up the away coach on Norfolk Rd. Always fun to see him busy guiding the driver in, the driver inevitably ignoring his 'left hand down' instructions.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 12 May 2019 12:15

He mowed on the left he mowed down the right. Gordon Neate made Titmarsh look shite. RIP a true Reading legend.

Edelston & Brice

by Edelston & Brice » 12 May 2019 16:03

And of course "Lofty" shouting out "England B" whenever Dave Meeson touched the ball-his voice could easily be heard as far away as under the clock.

Yes, I remember Lofty well, but was not the "England B" shout several years earlier than that? I seem to recall that it referred to Stan Wicks.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 12 May 2019 17:31

RIP Sir. A true gentleman.

Blue Blood

by Blue Blood » 13 May 2019 09:07

Royality creeps In
Mid Sussex Royal

Yes it was

Except it was "Golden Goal" not Golden Gamble - based on the time the first goal was scored as I recall.

RIP

Royal & Ancient
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal & Ancient » 13 May 2019 10:14

A really good bloke and a great asset to the Club for so many years. Last met with him some years back at the back of the Mad Stadium for a long chat about ‘old times’. Oh nostalgia! Re “Lofty”. Does anyone know who he was? I generally stood to the left of the half way line and he was over to the right. Compared him with SgtMaj Brittain and anyone drilled by him would never forget.England B !!!
RIP Gordon

Edelston & Brice

by Edelston & Brice » 13 May 2019 14:16

Wow - this is getting more and more nostalgic!! I remember Lofty selling the evening paper - can't recall which one - and as he made his way around the ground, on the path in front of the stands, he would constantly shout "England B"!! Together with the smell of far too well-cooked onions it remains one of my abiding memories of Elm Park. First went there in 1948 when a certain policeman known as W G Amor was playing for us on the wing.