1826 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Victor Meldrew » 26 May 2019 18:36

URZZZZ
Victor Meldrew
Hound Blackett is reasonable enough tbh. Would like to do better but he is ok

So he is o.k. enough to play, as he did last season, quite a big part in getting us into the bottom 3. only to be bailed out by the excellent loanees who showed just what we had been missing?
In my mind we need better just to survive again, let alone pushing further up the table.

Blackett and Gunter weren't why we were near the bottom three...it was our spineless midfield, the continued use of the useless Ilori and our goalie dropping a clanger every two games. And that's exactly why we didn't sign a fullback in January when he brought 5 loanees in...because they were performing at a good enough level

It wasn't just the "excellent loanees" who bailed us out because you don't win a game with 3/4/5 players on the pitch. You win with 11 functioning players and that included both the fullbacks. The loanees helped our cause but they didn't single handedly "bail" us out. Who's to say we wouldn't have survived without them

Dream on m8, we were doomed.
You say "spineless" in the context of our midfield but, for some reason, not in the context of Gunter for whom the word was made and maybe "dreadfully lacking in concentration" when talking about Blackett.

As zip says, we are overstocked in the full-back dept. and presumably Gomes couldn't think in terms of bringing in even more when presenting a wish list.
Now would be a good time to have that clear-out.
Last edited by Victor Meldrew on 26 May 2019 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 May 2019 18:37

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ
Love how so many people can miss such an obvious point. These, at the moment are our current options (excluding untested youngers). I'm not counting Meyler or McNulty as they clearly have no future

GK - Walker

RB - Yiadom, Gunter
CB - Moore, McIntyre at a push
LB - Blackett, Richards, Obita

CM - Rinomhota, Kelly? (on his way out probably)

RM- McCleary, Meite
CAM - Swift
LM - Barrow

ST - Bod, Baldock, Loader - again the first two may be on their way

So you can quite clearly in terms of FIRST TEAM PLAYERS, the fullback positions nearly take up 1/3 of our current team, hence that is our most STOCKED position, as the original statement said

Hence, it's probably one of the lowest priorities. If Yiadom gets injured, we have Gunter and Blackett. Not great options but certainly a lot better RIGHT NOW than if say Barrow, or Rinomhota or Moore gets injured etc etc...

Whose saying we don’t need to strengthen in other areas? Yes we have plenty of full backs but not necessarily players that will help us move up the League. Btw if you are including McIntyre why not include Osho who I thought was excellent on debut for us against I think it was Middlesbrough?

Osho was relatively decent against Boro. But he was loaned out in January and struggled to get into a struggling Rovers team. McIntyre, on the other hand, stayed in the squad and was involved in the matchday squads more often that not

The problem is it looks like we won't be able to bring too many players in. Therefore, we'll have to prioritise positions and fullback at the moment is one of the strongest. So it makes sense to leave that part alone

I see your point and don’t disagree. I knew you would mention Osho and Bristol Rovers btw. I reckon Osho will be fine at this level. Perhaps a bit on the small side for a centre back which may be seen as an issue but his passing out of defence was impressive and he is quick.

In reality we need to strengthen throughout the squad but as you say there will be a limited number of players we can afford to bring in.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 May 2019 23:35

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip
Whose saying we don’t need to strengthen in other areas? Yes we have plenty of full backs but not necessarily players that will help us move up the League. Btw if you are including McIntyre why not include Osho who I thought was excellent on debut for us against I think it was Middlesbrough?

Osho was relatively decent against Boro. But he was loaned out in January and struggled to get into a struggling Rovers team. McIntyre, on the other hand, stayed in the squad and was involved in the matchday squads more often that not

The problem is it looks like we won't be able to bring too many players in. Therefore, we'll have to prioritise positions and fullback at the moment is one of the strongest. So it makes sense to leave that part alone

I see your point and don’t disagree. I knew you would mention Osho and Bristol Rovers btw. I reckon Osho will be fine at this level. Perhaps a bit on the small side for a centre back which may be seen as an issue but his passing out of defence was impressive and he is quick.

In reality we need to strengthen throughout the squad but as you say there will be a limited number of players we can afford to bring in.

He is slightly small but considering that, he did very well given we were playing Boro who are the most hit and hope team in the league. Out of interest, do you know where it went wrong for Osho at Rovers? Injury, poor form, couldn't break into an established 11 etc

I know Holmes is looking for a loan next season so with that in mind, Osho may be an important squad player

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 May 2019 23:40

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

He is slightly small but considering that, he did very well given we were playing Boro who are the most hit and hope team in the league. Out of interest, do you know where it went wrong for Osho at Rovers? Injury, poor form, couldn't break into an established 11 etc

I know Holmes is looking for a loan next season so with that in mind, Osho may be an important squad player

Osho was on the bench for most of time at Rovers. In fairness Rovers showed solid form in the second half of the season. So I don’t think they needed to bring Osho on. He didn’t have any injury or poor form.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 27 May 2019 01:39

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

I knew you would mention Osho and Bristol Rovers btw. I reckon Osho will be fine at this level. Perhaps a bit on the small side for a centre back which may be seen as an issue but his passing out of defence was impressive and he is quick.

Gabriel Osho will be fine as a CB in the Championship?
Based on what, and alongside whom? Liam Moore?
I’ll need to see more of him, but right now in Champ not even sure what his position is.
(Hey, heard we need FB’s, so he might fit in)
After years, we're still debating Blackett, Gunter, etc.
Him not breaking thru at Rovers will have been noted.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2019 07:58

Yiadom is good enough full stop.

On form Blackett is perfectly good enough for mid-table. He was a problem last year because of Stam's disastrous management and fans getting on his back... I don't see that repeating with Gomes' excellent man management.

Gunter is excellent cover for RB and LB and good enough for mid-table.

Richards, Watson and Howe all show a deal of potential and are plenty good enough to cover half a dozen games across a season as emergency cover without proving disastrous. They are a wealth of deep back up far better than most Championship clubs could hope for at third and fourth choice full backs.

Obita is an unknown quantity, but IF he can recover his form he is easily good enough for mid-table.

By comparison, we have no genuine Championship goalkeeper. To compare with full back, the equivalent would be Watson and Richards starting.

At centre back, we have one genuine first team CB. To compare with fullback, it would be like starting Yiadom and Richards.

In midfield, we have three genuine players, one who has been sidelined and seems destined to leave. That's like having Yiadom and Gunter with Howe as backup at fullback.

Wide, we're doing ok with Barrow, Olise, Barrett and McCleary.

Upfront we have Baldock, Bodcvarsson, Nova,, McNulty and Loader. Though one at least seems destined to leave and Bod can't string more than 10 appearances together.

It would be nice to improve first team quality at full back and we'll need to to consistently challenge at the top of the table, but seeing as that isn't where we are right now fullback has to be lowest priority for change. The depth is insane and the initial quality is more than adequate.

Keeper, Centre back and midfield are our key areas to improve our options, with wing next but tolerable. Striker is a key area for us to shift out higher cost players who underperform so could do with incoming quality too, it's the position that wins you games.

Full back is the last position I'd recruit in. We could comfortably lose one or two fullbacks without any additions providing we kept Blackett (or Obita makes a full recovery) and Yiadom.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 May 2019 08:57

Denver Royal
Zip
URZZZZ

I knew you would mention Osho and Bristol Rovers btw. I reckon Osho will be fine at this level. Perhaps a bit on the small side for a centre back which may be seen as an issue but his passing out of defence was impressive and he is quick.

Gabriel Osho will be fine as a CB in the Championship?
Based on what, and alongside whom? Liam Moore?
I’ll need to see more of him, but right now in Champ not even sure what his position is.
(Hey, heard we need FB’s, so he might fit in)
After years, we're still debating Blackett, Gunter, etc.
Him not breaking thru at Rovers will have been noted.

What happened at Brizzle isn’t significant imo. He joined them at a time when they went on a solid run of results so the manager was hardly likely to change things around. He was one of our better players against Middlesbrough and didn’t look remotely out of place. Things didn’t go well for Lewis Baker at Leeds. He barely played. Yet we know how good he is. Sometimes loans don’t work out.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 May 2019 06:32

Just as a reminder to us all, seeing as the EP posted an article about it on Sunday, all FL clubs are required to nominate a minimum of 7 homegrown players in each match day squad (it’s 8 homegrown in the PL).

So basically that is 7 players irrespective of age/nationality who have been registered with any club affiliated to either the FA or FAW for a period of 36 previous months before the end of the season in which they reached the age of 21).

So that at least explains why so many clubs recruit foreign nationals at 16/17/18 as soon as they look like they have the slightest modicum of talent (can’t help but feel that isn’t quite what the authorities were hoping for though).

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 28 May 2019 09:33

Sutekh Just as a reminder to us all, seeing as the EP posted an article about it on Sunday, all FL clubs are required to nominate a minimum of 7 homegrown players in each match day squad (it’s 8 homegrown in the PL).

So basically that is 7 players irrespective of age/nationality who have been registered with any club affiliated to either the FA or FAW for a period of 36 previous months before the end of the season in which they reached the age of 21).

So that at least explains why so many clubs recruit foreign nationals at 16/17/18 as soon as they look like they have the slightest modicum of talent (can’t help but feel that isn’t quite what the authorities were hoping for though).

Should be an absolute ban on recruiting foreign nationals under 18 IMO. If the huge clubs want stars from poorer countries, they should have to do it by establishing academies and pumping money into coaching in those countries, and then trying to persuade the graduates of those academies to join them. Instead of swooping in, offering dreams of fame and wealth to 16 year olds, bringing them 1000s of miles from their home and then dumping them at 18 when they don't meet the grade.

Admittedly we'd never have got Gylfi that way...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 28 May 2019 11:39

So an emerging question for us to think on: Does CBC get any serious consideration for 3rd choice keeper next season?

Hes 16 so I cant help but think no but it's rare for someone of his age to come out and say that and to sound believable. He seems to have that belief in himself. I hope he is judged on his ability and not his age by the coaches.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 May 2019 11:48

NewCorkSeth So an emerging question for us to think on: Does CBC get any serious consideration for 3rd choice keeper next season?

Hes 16 so I cant help but think no but it's rare for someone of his age to come out and say that and to sound believable. He seems to have that belief in himself. I hope he is judged on his ability and not his age by the coaches.

He absolutely should do imho. Age is just a number, he’s already pretty tall 6’2 and a regular for the U23s so what harm is there putting him as third choice? I’ve proposed having him on the bench for cup games.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 28 May 2019 11:56

I think he should be in goal for cup games, not just on the bench. We will not be looking at any cup runs next year as the primary focus will be the league therefore what’s the risk? Good experience!

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 May 2019 12:24

mikey0406 I think he should be in goal for cup games, not just on the bench. We will not be looking at any cup runs next year as the primary focus will be the league therefore what’s the risk? Good experience!

What does that say to our no.2 in Southwood/Ward?

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 28 May 2019 13:30

At this rate they will be first choice...

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 May 2019 13:37

Well they can’t both be first choice so let’s say we start with Southwood 1, Ward 2, CBC 3.

Would it not make sense to have Ward starting cup games as a no.2? Would be a bit odd otherwise.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 May 2019 15:42

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth So an emerging question for us to think on: Does CBC get any serious consideration for 3rd choice keeper next season?

He absolutely should do imho. Age is just a number, he’s already pretty tall 6’2 and a regular for the U23s so what harm is there putting him as third choice? I’ve proposed having him on the bench for cup games.

6'2 and predicted to reach 6'5...

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 May 2019 15:43

CountryRoyal Well they can’t both be first choice so let’s say we start with Southwood 1, Ward 2, CBC 3.

Would it not make sense to have Ward starting cup games as a no.2? Would be a bit odd otherwise.

Shouldn't we prioritise potential? If Ward were in his last season we wouldn't be clamouring to extend him Southwood and CBC are the ones the club rate higher.

Expecting Ward to go on loan next season then depart at the end.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 28 May 2019 15:49

maffff
CountryRoyal Well they can’t both be first choice so let’s say we start with Southwood 1, Ward 2, CBC 3.

Shouldn't we prioritise potential? If Ward were in his last season we wouldn't be clamouring to extend him Southwood and CBC are the ones the club rate higher.

Yeah I do agree. It’s a fine balancing act because on one hand if CBC is everything touted then we need to involve him more, but at the same time will most likely not be a long term player for us. Agree I think we’ll have to let one of Southwood and and Ward go and the latter would probably be preferable.

If we can get Martinez great but if not I wouldn’t be in a hurry to go looking for a keeper, I think we should give Southwood a shot.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 28 May 2019 17:05

CountryRoyal
maffff

Yeah I do agree. It’s a fine balancing act because on one hand if CBC is everything touted then we need to involve him more, but at the same time will most likely not be a long term player for us. Agree I think we’ll have to let one of Southwood and and Ward go and the latter would probably be preferable.

If we can get Martinez great but if not I wouldn’t be in a hurry to go looking for a keeper, I think we should give Southwood a shot.

Perfect summer for me would be
First choice: Martinez or similar
Second: Southwood
Third: CBC (u23 cover for injuries / loans)

Sell: Walker
Loan: Ward, Driscoll (& extend contract).

Two of Roberts, Andrésson and Collins in u23s, give Desbois and one of above (Andrésson or Roberts) a loan.

We're bloated with good talented young keepers, would be loathed to let Driscoll or any of the younger ones go just yet (Desbois or Andrésson at a push).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 May 2019 17:23

[code][/code]Reading may need to reduce the number of youngsters as well given the numbers in and around the first team to try and ensure that path through is as clear as possible for those who really do look the part.

Obvs. Rinimhota, Loader and Olise are those that seem to be leading the way and in no way should be sold (unless the money offered is too good to be true) but the rest are perhaps still to really convince (and you might even include Liam Kelly in that) though it is very early days for most.

Then there are the keepers, unless Walker can impress JG enough in preseason I just can’t see any of the keepers currently in Reading’s books being the no 1 currently which means another needs to be signed so can Reading really afford to keep Ward, Southwood, Driscoll and Boyce-Clarke as well?

Just wondering which currently might be most likely to move on this summer.

1826 posts