Champions League & Europa League 2018/19

432 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Champions League & Europa League 2018/19

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2019 13:49

LUX
Maguire
Victor Meldrew How many of that Spurs team would get into Liverpool's side?
Eriksen probably and possibly Alderweireld (neither of whom might not be there next season) but nobody else

:lol: :lol:

yep. Lloris for a start. World cup winning captain (IIRC).

Henderson is terrible. Alli is better than Firminho. Sissouko would definitely get in there.

In what world is any of that true?

Alli is a better attacking midfielder than Firminho, I'd give you that, but Firminho plays upfront so it's hardly surprising.

Henderson and Wijnaldum are infinitely better than Sissoko, and Lloris has had a shocking season and certainly wouldn't get in ahead of Allison on form over the last 12 months.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Jun 2019 13:56

"I think we've found another Liverpool fan"

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2019 14:42

LUX "I think we've found another Liverpool fan"

:roll:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jun 2019 15:22

I'm far from a Liverpool fan and even I can see that Allison is head and shoulders above Lloris.

This is a goalkeeper who managed to throw one in against Liverpool and produce a comedy moment in the World Cup Final. He must've been embarrassed to be captain and picking up the trophy considering the moment of madness.

And that's just two - certainly outdoes Allison's Leicester moment

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Jun 2019 15:53

Spurs players that could maybe get into Liverpool team that started CL final...Matip's position is up for grabs for example (Gomez, I know)

Tottenham
Lloris
Trippier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Sissoko
Winks
Eriksen
Alli
Son Heung-Min
Kane

Players I definitely can't see being left out of the Liverpool squad...possibly being unfair to the midfield three as they do a 'job' that works for the team and thus don't grab the headlines as much

Liverpool
Alisson
Alexander-Arnold
Matip
van Dijk
Robertson
Henderson
Fabinho
Wijnaldum
Salah
Firmino
Mané

depends on how they are being set up etc

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2019 16:17

BR0B0T Spurs players that could maybe get into Liverpool team that started CL final...Matip's position is up for grabs for example (Gomez, I know)

Tottenham
Lloris
Trippier
Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Rose
Sissoko
Winks
Eriksen
Alli
Son Heung-Min
Kane

Players I definitely can't see being left out of the Liverpool squad...possibly being unfair to the midfield three as they do a 'job' that works for the team and thus don't grab the headlines as much

Liverpool
Alisson
Alexander-Arnold
Matip
van Dijk
Robertson
Henderson
Fabinho
Wijnaldum
Salah
Firmino
Mané

depends on how they are being set up etc

Did you intentionally talk about squad for Liverpool and team for Spurs?

You've highlighted the front 3 for Liverpool as untouchable (from a squad point of view I take it) but also highlighted Kane and Son as players that could get into the Liverpool team from Saturday night. Would you pick either Kane or Son over that Liverpool front 3 if you were picking a side for a Champions League cup final tonight?

I think Kane vs Firminho in an interesting debate, and in many ways I'd take Kane every day, but on the flip side Firminho works perfectly for Liverpool in the system they play (sorry, we, play, for LUX's benefit) so for Liverpool's side Firminho probably sneaks it.

I quite like Winks too, but I'm not sure he'd get close to keeping out any of Liverpool's 6 central midfielders for selection in an important one off game (maybe Milner in 6 months time, and he'd make a good additional squad player).

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Jun 2019 16:25

Hoop Blah

You've highlighted the front 3 for Liverpool as untouchable (from a squad point of view I take it) but also highlighted Kane and Son as players that could get into the Liverpool team from Saturday night. Would you pick either Kane or Son over that Liverpool front 3 if you were picking a side for a Champions League cup final tonight?

I think Kane vs Firminho in an interesting debate, and in many ways I'd take Kane every day, but on the flip side Firminho works perfectly for Liverpool in the system they play (sorry, we, play, for LUX's benefit) so for Liverpool's side Firminho probably sneaks it.

I quite like Winks too, but I'm not sure he'd get close to keeping out any of Liverpool's 6 central midfielders for selection in an important one off game (maybe Milner in 6 months time, and he'd make a good additional squad player).

you know how it is...too many points to get into a short post

it was more to highlight players that would be competing for team places (would depend upon the set up etc)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2019 16:37

BR0B0T
Hoop Blah

you know how it is...too many points to get into a short post

it was more to highlight players that would be competing for team places (would depend upon the set up etc)

I get ya.

To VM's original point though, that LUX and Mags seemed to disagree with, I can't imagine more than a couple of Spurs players replacing their Liverpool counter-part from the two sides that lined up on Saturday (Erikson* and Alderweireld being VMs suggestion, and I'd add Kane to that list IF he was match sharp and in form).

* Personally I wouldn't swap Wijnaldum or Henderson out for Erikson in Liverpool's system, but I'd see how it could be argued for.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Jun 2019 19:40

It's hard to know who is trolling here and who's just a deranged Liverpool fan but to suggest that Harry Kane wouldn't get in the Liverpool team is so utterly batshit I don't even know where to start with it. He's one of the best strikers in the world :lol:

An additional rofl for the suddenly undroppable Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho who were being kept out of their own team by Milner and Keita as recently as oooh this very season.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Jun 2019 19:42

BR0B0T is basically the voice of reason :shock:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 03 Jun 2019 20:07

I promise you they mean it.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jun 2019 09:11

Maguire It's hard to know who is trolling here and who's just a deranged Liverpool fan but to suggest that Harry Kane wouldn't get in the Liverpool team is so utterly batshit I don't even know where to start with it. He's one of the best strikers in the world :lol:

An additional rofl for the suddenly undroppable Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho who were being kept out of their own team by Milner and Keita as recently as oooh this very season.

TBF people only rebutted Lux's mental list of potentials.

Eriksen could possibly do a job in midfield but as you say Liverpool don't need him in place of the trio who played as they already have alternatives there.

And yeah I'm sure Kane would be nice as backup to Origi :P

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jun 2019 09:21

Maguire It's hard to know who is trolling here and who's just a deranged Liverpool fan but to suggest that Harry Kane wouldn't get in the Liverpool team is so utterly batshit I don't even know where to start with it. He's one of the best strikers in the world :lol:

In the way Liverpool play, and all that Firminho brings, I'd say that's still a very close call despite Kane being just about the best at what he does. His finishing would certainly improve on Firminho's.

Maguire An additional rofl for the suddenly undroppable Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho who were being kept out of their own team by Milner and Keita as recently as oooh this very season.

They're not undroppable, I just don't think I'd consider dropping them for any of the Spurs midfielders, again, that's considering the job they do in that system. There would be a case for Erikson replacing one of them to add that little extra guile (much like Couthino used to do before he left for Barca) but I think they're a better side with the current mix of mobility and workrate over creativity.

If it was a side selected from both sides to play 4-2-3-1 then Alli and Erikson would be way ahead of the Liverpool options to play in the number 10 role, and Winks much closer to replacing one of the central midfielders.

Kane would also be ahead of Firminho as the centre forward.

That wasn't the question though, the question was how many of the Spurs players would've replaced their opposite number in the Liverpool side so, for me, it's a different set of answers.

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 04 Jun 2019 10:25

Not a fan of either side.

It's amazing how much things can change in 12 months - this time last year it was Trippier who was the "world-class" full back that everyone was raving about. This year he doesn't even get a mention in these "best of both team" discussions, and it's the Liverpool pair that are seen to be the world-beaters.

Wonder where they'll stand in a years time - form is temporary, class is permanent and all that.*

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jun 2019 10:25

Solely on the question of Kane, Hoops has explained far better than me why he wouldn't get in the Liverpool team because of the way they play.
Same goes for Man City-he wouldn't get in their starting team either and maybe even at Arsenal.
I'm afraid Mags that actual football is not championship manager and football is about team play rather than individual stats.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jun 2019 10:34

Silver Fox

TBF people only rebutted Lux's mental list of potentials.

Eriksen could possibly do a job in midfield but as you say Liverpool don't need him in place of the trio who played as they already have alternatives there.

And yeah I'm sure Kane would be nice as backup to Origi :P

I imagine Son would probably get in there too.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Jun 2019 10:44

BraisingsteakRoyal Not a fan of either side.

It's amazing how much things can change in 12 months - this time last year it was Trippier who was the "world-class" full back that everyone was raving about. This year he doesn't even get a mention in these "best of both team" discussions, and it's the Liverpool pair that are seen to be the world-beaters.

Wonder where they'll stand in a years time - form is temporary, class is permanent and all that.*

Tripper has been absolute toilet for large parts of the season. Like you say, quite the fall from grace.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Jun 2019 10:48

Victor Meldrew Solely on the question of Kane, Hoops has explained far better than me why he wouldn't get in the Liverpool team because of the way they play.
Same goes for Man City-he wouldn't get in their starting team either and maybe even at Arsenal.
I'm afraid Mags that actual football is not championship manager and football is about team play rather than individual stats.

If Kane was at Liverpool they'd just play in a slightly different way. Absolute and utter rubbish to suggest he wouldn't get in the team - any side in world football would love Harry Kane on their playing staff.

"Sorry Lionel, Reading don't play a system that accommodates a free-roaming, goalscoring playmaker, we're strictly 4-4-2 I'm afraid so we're going to have to say no"

Son would also easily get game time for Liverpool as another poster mentions above.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 04 Jun 2019 11:37

Looking at the first panel of this weeks Squires cartoon I think he may well be secret user* on here.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2019/jun/04/david-squires-on-liverpool-champions-of-europe-for-a-sixth-time

* or just a bitter Swindon fan

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jun 2019 11:40

Silver Fox Delle Ali is massively overrated, I'm not even convinced he was better than a massively out of form Firmino on Saturday

I can only imagine you included Sissoko for the lulz as you couldn't manage a rule of 3

I like Dele but he tries the Hollywood pass far too much. He'd improve a lot if he tried to simplify his game a bit.

As for Sissoko, by most accounts he's been Spurs' best player this season.

432 posts