123 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Celtic Eye Moore

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jun 2019 14:38

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
Nameless
Surely the silverware you can win at Celtic is pretty much meaningless, how much satisfaction can there be in always coming first in a series of one horse races ?
There are some good reasons for wanting to play for Celtic but the medals must seem somewhat cheapened when they effectively hand them out before the season has even started.
For the history, the atmosphere, the brief run in Europe it would be fun to have a season at Celtic but you'd think most English pros with ambition would see it as a bit of a gap year.

Look at how much a winners medal meant to Roberts and Griffin. And that was the Championship with both having top flight history.

A winners medal is a huge deal.

Add Ian Harte to that list, a bigger name than either Roberts or Griffin.

Doesn't Moore already have one of those? With Leicester. The season they won. Whenever that was. 2015?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jun 2019 15:03

A Championship winnerers medal, yes. He didn't make any league appearances for Leicester the season they won the Premiership.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jun 2019 15:04

From Despair To Where? He didn't make any league appearances for Leicester the season they won it.

Probably still gets a winners medal, especially if he was in the squad.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Jun 2019 15:07

Initially, I misunderstood Seth who was talking about their Championship winning team in 2014. He made 30 appearances that season. He certainly didn't get a Premier League medal because you have to play a minimum number of games.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jun 2019 15:10

Ah true, although Leicester may have requested more to ensure everyone got one.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jun 2019 15:18

From Despair To Where? Initially, I misunderstood Seth who was talking about their Championship winning team in 2014. He made 30 appearances that season. He certainly didn't get a Premier League medal because you have to play a minimum number of games.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I was of course talking about the championship season. I think you have to play 10 games to get a medal but I remember that they made another medal for Schwarzer. Doubt that Moore got one.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Jun 2019 15:19

Hendo Ah true, although Leicester may have requested more to ensure everyone got one.

My understanding is additional medals may be given out to players who don’t meet the minimum criteria through injury or back up keepers. Either way, Moore doesn’t have one.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Jun 2019 15:20

NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where? Initially, I misunderstood Seth who was talking about their Championship winning team in 2014. He made 30 appearances that season. He certainly didn't get a Premier League medal because you have to play a minimum number of games.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I was of course talking about the championship season. I think you have to play 10 games to get a medal but I remember that they made another medal for Schwarzer. Doubt that Moore got one.

5 games now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jun 2019 15:29

CountryRoyal
NewCorkSeth

5 games now.

That's a little low isnt it? I would get 5 games for a keeper.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 11 Jun 2019 18:05

LOL at comparing winning a Championship medal (oldest league in the world, hugely competitive) with strolling though aScottish season to be handed a medal for not really having to do too much.

As for who gets medals - when we won the league every member of staffgot a medal, there is no limit to how many a club can pay for.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Jun 2019 18:15

Nameless LOL at comparing winning a Championship medal (oldest league in the world, hugely competitive) with strolling though aScottish season to be handed a medal for not really having to do too much.

As for who gets medals - when we won the league every member of staffgot a medal, there is no limit to how many a club can pay for.

Agreed. I would say Scottish football is a good place to end a career (e.g. Kolo Toure going to Celtic at the end of his career) but IMO it’s a waste whilst he’s still young and hungry

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Jun 2019 18:19

Nameless LOL at comparing winning a Championship medal (oldest league in the world, hugely competitive) with strolling though aScottish season to be handed a medal for not really having to do too much.

People were talking about a premier league medal.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jun 2019 20:17

CountryRoyal

People were talking about a premier league medal.

I dont think we were? Someone said some players just want to win things like Robert's who was delighted with his championship medal. I dont agree that the championship medal is as valuable as the Scottish premiership one just because it's more competetive.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jun 2019 22:16

Lol @ thinking a top flight winners medal and European football is trivial. Or that the English second tier trumps it.

Who cares how easy it is to get, it's still a top flight winners medal and a whole lot more high profile than finishing 20th in the Championship. Moore's certainly not going to win any medals here for the foreseeable.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jun 2019 22:22

Snowflake Royal Lol @ thinking a top flight winners medal and European football is trivial. Or that the English second tier trumps it.

Who cares how easy it is to get, it's still a top flight winners medal and a whole lot more high profile than finishing 20th in the Championship. Moore's certainly not going to win any medals here for the foreseeable.

True but the Scottish top flight is Micky Mouse though. How many teams in that division would survive at Championship level? Not many imo.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jun 2019 00:45

Zip
Snowflake Royal Lol @ thinking a top flight winners medal and European football is trivial. Or that the English second tier trumps it.

True but the Scottish top flight is Micky Mouse though. How many teams in that division would survive at Championship level? Not many imo.

To put it into context, one of Rangers' best players (Kent) couldn't get in a falling Bristol squad last season...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jun 2019 07:34

Think the champ trophy <> SPL trophy is a fairly meaningless argument for him - he certainly isn’t likely to win the champ with us any time soon.

The chance to play in front of 58k people every other week and potentially against the likes of Barcelona is certainly way above any experience he’ll get with us though

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 12 Jun 2019 08:50

It may come down to what you want to look back on when you finish playing. Having a few SPL winners medals is far better than saying you played in the Championship and winning oxf*rd all.
Anyone who is saying Celtic isn't more attractive club to play for than us needs there head checked.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 Jun 2019 10:26

It might be more that Celtic is the right level for him. I personally don't think he's good enough to start week in - week out in the Prem. Which means his hopes of playing at that level are either someone buys him as back up (a la Brighton last season) or he's bought by a promotion challenging champ side. I think the latter is unlikely those clubs have tight budgets and would probably see Moore as not adding enough for the money. And from Moore's side promotion is pretty much 'flip a coin'.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Jun 2019 21:44

Celtic no longer interested in Liam Moore according to TalkReading

123 posts