Oliveira traing with Reading

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Oliveira traing with Reading

by windermereROYAL » 23 Jun 2019 10:04

Actually I don't think a striker is so high on our list of priorities, if Bod can stay fit he has goals in him, then we have Meite Novo and Baldock who are all capable of weighing in. McNulty will be moved on.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Jun 2019 10:44

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
Zip
Yep seen his comments. I do think we may end up signing him. Now I know certain players I about to list can play elsewhere but if he did join that would mean Oliveira, Meite, Bodvarsson, McNulty, Novakovich, Loader and Baldock as potential forwards. That’s way too many, Two would have to go.

Meite is primarily played as a winger and I would’ve though McNulty isn’t in Jose’s plans, so there is your two.

One being primarily a winger isn't gone though. We're over stocked and need to also cut wages. McNulty is not going to be on big wages, certainly nowhere near what Oliveira would be on.

It's looking like Nelson is a done deal dependent on others going. But the likes of McNulty and, for example, Baldock, going is far from a done deal. So the question is how well are we doing shifting them and how patient will Nelson be.

I took Zip’s comment as there just being too many strikers, rather than considering the financial implications.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2019 11:49

Fair enough Hendo. I can't help but always factor in the finances right now. :cry:

3 plus 1/2 who can be shuffled in from another position seems right for one upfront to me.

I'd chose Nelson, Novakovich and McNulty with Loader and Meite the shuffled ones if it was as simple as just choosing.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Jun 2019 20:45

Snowflake Royal Fair enough Hendo. I can't help but always factor in the finances right now. :cry:

3 plus 1/2 who can be shuffled in from another position seems right for one upfront to me.

I'd chose Nelson, Novakovich and McNulty with Loader and Meite the shuffled ones if it was as simple as just choosing.

I actually think Bodvarsson and Baldock would be a decent front two, or swap McNulty with Baldock

Miss the days of a simple 4-4-2 with everyone having a succinct role rather than players floating around the pitch in random areas

But you're right, with the way we play, Baldock is surely surplus to requirements and get the impression Gomes doesn't rate Bod...but doubt we'll ever see McNulty in a Reading shirt again

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2019 22:14

I like Bod, but for a big guy he's a bit weak, including in the air, and his first touch isn't good. Plus he's spent two years here riddled with niggly injuries. So much as I like him, he's far from top of my retain list, especially as we might get decent money for him.

Of our strikers Baldock would be my priority to move on. Injury problems like Bod and probably on the highest wages of our strikers.

McNulty is probably the easiest sell though, and Gomes obviously doesn't rate him, even though I liked what I saw.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Jun 2019 09:35

This is a done deal, finances are not an issue (well they are but resolved in July) - this will get over the line as we hit early July.

yuomi

by yuomi » 24 Jun 2019 09:49

paultheroyal This is a done deal, finances are not an issue (well they are but resolved in July) - this will get over the line as we hit early July.

IF this is true why the hell are we such a cautious club when it comes to saying anything?

I don't pay that much attention to other clubs in similar predicaments to our own, but their fans always seem to be more ITK than we are because they actually communicate with them.

So much of what happens here (late or surprise announcements, undisc. transfer fees, closed door friendlies etc.) is inexplicably shifty. Is it just me?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2019 09:50

yuomi
paultheroyal This is a done deal, finances are not an issue (well they are but resolved in July) - this will get over the line as we hit early July.

IF this is true why the hell are we such a cautious club when it comes to saying anything?

I don't pay that much attention to other clubs in similar predicaments to our own, but their fans always seem to be more ITK than we are because they actually communicate with them.

So much of what happens here (late or surprise announcements, undisc. transfer fees, closed door friendlies etc.) is inexplicably shifty. Is it just me?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jun 2019 09:57

interesting. And will it be followed by further signings?

Would be more than happy with Oliveira, but the GK, CM and CB positions are far more urgent imo. Can't believe we'd spend any budget we may have on a striker alone

I'm assuming we'll get in a couple of loans which will also come through fairly soon

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jun 2019 10:33

Hound

interesting. And will it be followed by further signings?

Would be more than happy with Oliveira, but the GK, CM and CB positions are far more urgent imo. Can't believe we'd spend any budget we may have on a striker alone

I'm assuming we'll get in a couple of loans which will also come through fairly soon

Football account reporting periods end 30th June. We are under this soft embargo as there is clearly a concern that we may breach the FFP limits if we spend more money (without bringing some in) before this date.

As of end of 2017/18, our 3 year rolling losses were -31m. As of July 1st, the 2015/16 loss of 15m drops off the calculation - our 2 year loss is then 25.6m, so we can swallow a 2018/19 loss of 13.3m and still meet the rules. We must be close to this hence the lack of movement.

Bigger issues are:

the 2016/17 loss was only 4.6m which doesn't give a lot of wiggle room for 2019/20 (assuming we are close to FFP this year) to ensure we meet FFP at the end of this upcoming season plus our wages to income ratio stands at nearly 200% which is unsustainable and needs to be reduced. So throughout July we will hopefully see incomings but still expect outgoings to try and lower the wage bill and ensure we are not in a worse position next summer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jun 2019 10:49

yep that was pretty much my understand - and then hopefully 20/21 should be a lot more comfortable as the Gourlay horror season falls off the cycle

I expect you are right on us being very close to that 13m limit for 18/19. We need to near break even this coming season, which will certainly be a challenge

Hopefully losing the likes of Joey, McShane, Mannone, Aluko, Ilori, Bacuna, O Shea and Jaakola will have lessened the wage bill fairly considerably (5-7m?), and then its a case of selling what we can from the deadwood

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 24 Jun 2019 14:38

Hound yep that was pretty much my understand - and then hopefully 20/21 should be a lot more comfortable as the Gourlay horror season falls off the cycle

I expect you are right on us being very close to that 13m limit for 18/19. We need to near break even this coming season, which will certainly be a challenge

Hopefully losing the likes of Joey, McShane, Mannone, Aluko, Ilori, Bacuna, O Shea and Jaakola will have lessened the wage bill fairly considerably (5-7m?), and then its a case of selling what we can from the deadwood

On top of that we received fees from Ilori and Bacuna and from what has been let out of the club a lot of the loans were more about getting the players some time on the pitch and we did not pay a lot if anything in wages for Martinez, Ejaria, Nelson, Miazga or Baker. so we lost there wages and apparently put £6 million in the coffers.
I don't believe we are flush (quite obviously with the soft embargo) but from what little is coming out of the club is that we are on a level in which if we sell that money can be reinvested and the wages that we lose on the 1st July could also be reinvested. (Hence things wont move until July.)
From what is also floating around out there Norwich are not that worried about the fee they just want him off the books and he wants to be at Reading or he would not still be training with us. I would not be suprised if he signed as soon as Mcshane, Oshea, Harriot, JVDB and Jaakola leave. I also believe Miazga and Ejaria will be back on loan this year aswell. also as other players are sold or free transfered off we will then sign a Keeper and a new CM.
Last edited by linkenholtroyal on 24 Jun 2019 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 24 Jun 2019 14:43

Aren't the players currently on holiday? If so, how come he's training with Reading?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jun 2019 14:44

Paul has been in the know before, so I'm going to let myself get excited on this one.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Jun 2019 14:46

Royalwaster Aren't the players currently on holiday? If so, how come he's training with Reading?

Staff and youth players are back a week ahead of the senior players, so probably getting ahead of the game, if true.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 24 Jun 2019 14:46

Royalwaster Aren't the players currently on holiday? If so, how come he's training with Reading?

With the Physio.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Jun 2019 14:48

He went on holiday with the Physio?

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 24 Jun 2019 14:50

genome He went on holiday with the Physio?

Skegness 2 weeks they built sand castles and had Fish and Chips.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jun 2019 15:10

being as he was injured for most of the last couple of months, doubt he had a complete holiday as such in the same way that players who ended the season did

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 24 Jun 2019 17:32

Tilehurstsouthbank

With the Physio.

Ah. So we’ll sign him in July, and he’ll be on the bench, injury free, by about December 2023? Or did the medical staff change very recently?