Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Hendo » 28 Jun 2019 09:04

Stranded
Hound I’ve no major problem with McNulty and Meyler coming back in for training

Still expect them to be gone come August, but if they aren’t they could still offer something

The journalist stuff is mildly entertaining atm. Low seems to have a contact which he doesn’t want to upset (but the info is reliable) while Friday - whatever your fcuk he is meant to be doing / thought he no longer worked for the chron - is leaking shit all I’ve the place.

If he doesn't work for the Chron any more, he's probably enjoying the fact he is still finding shit out and is able to leak it without any real comeback.

Isn't he freelance now?

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 28 Jun 2019 09:48

The Enfield Royal71
CountryRoyal
Zip
I can see him still being at the club. I can’t see him being in the squad.

Not ideal but could just about accept that. Meyler is a total cockend, a liar and hypocrit. Not to mention he’s an absolutely atrocious footballer.

Jesus that's a bit harsh. He can't be that atrocious at football seeing it is his job. He could still make a decent go at it and would wipe the floor with any of us.

When Reading get to play against any of us, we should definitely bring him on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2019 14:25

You didn't see the goal I scored on Wednesday, I would have skipped past him like he wasn't there.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jun 2019 18:54

Obita expected to be at training on Monday. Luke Southwood has been told he is free to leave

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jun 2019 19:02

URZZZZ Obita expected to be at training on Monday. Luke Southwood has been told he is free to leave

Well good news on Obita. On Southwood do you have any source for this?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jun 2019 19:11

Zip
URZZZZ Obita expected to be at training on Monday. Luke Southwood has been told he is free to leave

Jonathan Low

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jun 2019 19:19

URZZZZ
Zip

Jonathan Low

Thanks. Very disappointed about this. So we will just have Walker then for now.No need to let Southwood go. He should be challenging as understudy to whoever the number one is.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jun 2019 19:20

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

Jonathan Low

Thanks. Very disappointed about this. So we will just have Walker then for now.No need to let Southwood go. He should be challenging as understudy to whoever the number one is.

Driscoll and Boyce-Clarke therefore currently vying for the no2 spot :shock:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 29 Jun 2019 19:25

Sutekh
Zip
URZZZZ
Jonathan Low

Wonder if part of persuading Boyce-Clarke to sign a new contract was to dangle No.2 / cup football in front of him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jun 2019 19:40

Seems madness to let another good young keeper go when we're so short in their position and money is so tight.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2019 20:03

It is a strange one to let him and Ward go imo

Low’s been pretty accurate recently and rarely posts ‘rumours’ so I suspect this is true

I know CBC is very highly rated and he looks a very good keeper but surely not quite ready to be full time back up

Don’t imagine he is planning on starting the season with Walker either

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jun 2019 22:42

Zip

On Obita, I’ve always found him a little overrated. I think he’s a decent enough LWB but as a LB, I always find him a little lacking defensively. Add to the fact that he has probably understandably regressed after his injury, then I’m not sure about him

The question is really if Obita does recover, do we try and move him, Blackett or Richards on? Or do we keep all three? Possibly loan out Obita for match fitness or Richards for experience. Maybe convert Richards further forward like we tried a couple of times last season? Healthy competition is always a good thing but not sure three first team left backs is that helpful in our current situation

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jun 2019 22:45

Driscoll would be next in line. Based on last season you'd expect CBC to be quite a way down the pecking order.

Blackett is currently arguably a starting centre back for us, Obita becoming available would make that more realistic.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jun 2019 22:45

Hound It is a strange one to let him and Ward go imo

Low’s been pretty accurate recently and rarely posts ‘rumours’ so I suspect this is true

I know CBC is very highly rated and he looks a very good keeper but surely not quite ready to be full time back up

Don’t imagine he is planning on starting the season with Walker either

I can imagine goalie will be a priority. Walker can be second choice with possibly one of the even younger ones as 3rd choice. Southwood may be a good goalie but a keeper is only one position and rotation is limited there, therefore priorities have to be made here. If they think CBC or whoever is better, than they’ll try and max their development, and if that means neglecting another promising goalie then so be it

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Jun 2019 22:47

SCIAG Driscoll would be next in line. Based on last season you'd expect CBC to be quite a way down the pecking order.

Blackett is currently arguably a starting centre back for us, Obita becoming available would make that more realistic.

That is a valid point but does Gomes see Blackett as a CB? Even with the 3 centre halves, he used Yiadom there over Blackett

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 29 Jun 2019 23:11

muirinho
Sutekh
Zip

Wonder if part of persuading Boyce-Clarke to sign a new contract was to dangle No.2 / cup football in front of him.

Yes you may well be right. He is very young though and if our no 1 gets injured/loses form it’s all’s bit high risk.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 30 Jun 2019 07:34

surely the ‘Southwood told he can leave’ rumour is old news that came out a couple of weeks ago but was never confirmed. It was before Ward left so entirely possible that it has been misreported or just changed. If they were both told that the club wouldn’t keep both of them and Ward then moved it is logical that Southwood may be staying.
Moving on U23 keepers in hardly going to dent the ffp equation and Boyce-Clarke is not anywhere near being a viable backup keeper.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2019 07:53

Well looks like JLow found out before only for it to be denied. And has since been re-confirmed

The fact he came back to train with the U23s did suggest he wasn’t going to be first team squad

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jun 2019 08:56

URZZZZ
SCIAG Driscoll would be next in line. Based on last season you'd expect CBC to be quite a way down the pecking order.

That is a valid point but does Gomes see Blackett as a CB? Even with the 3 centre halves, he used Yiadom there over Blackett

Which I thought was odd at the time despite Yiadom doing a decent job there.

For me there is only 3 nailed on positions in the team being Yiadom at RB, Moore at CB and Rinomhota in CM. Blackett could well be pushed in to CB if Obita can come back well which isnt the worst idea. If one of the trio of young CBs we have can prove themselves in pre season as capable of pushing for a spot then perhaps the defense isnt as dire as I thought. We will still have to deal with Blackett dropping a clanger every second game though.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 30 Jun 2019 09:10

Just a thought / hope. Is the fact that we are releasing a number of goalies leading to us bringing Martinez back ?

Martinez first choice, Walker understudy, and Driscoll and Boyce-Clarke the next two in line ?

1826 posts