Speculation: Keeper Watch

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Speculation: Keeper Watch

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jun 2019 10:37

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal I agree with Hound. His first game or two were pretty good iirc.

Don't know about pretty good. Adequate maybe.

I recall him being praised early doors as our new No 1.

Don't remember "praise" as such, just people saying he was OK, although that could be seen as praise in comparison to the reaction when he was signed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2019 11:47

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
Don't know about pretty good. Adequate maybe.

I recall him being praised early doors as our new No 1.

Don't remember "praise" as such, just people saying he was OK, although that could be seen as praise in comparison to the reaction when he was signed.

Looked up a couple of bftgs, not as strong as I thought but stronger than you suggest. Hull(H) in particular.

But passing out could be an issue for him

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jun 2019 11:57

Not quite sure what offends him so much about PC, but it’s certainly wrecked the quality of his posts

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jun 2019 12:05

Hound Not quite sure what offends him so much about PC, but it’s certainly wrecked the quality of his posts

Wasn't he just a stam fanboy and never thought he should be sacked?

Adkins syndrome.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 23 Jun 2019 14:52

Zip
Hound Adequate is a fair summary. Ie not great, but wouldn’t be too horrified if he started the season

Hmm. I’m not so sure. Would rather see Southwood ahead of him.

So would I, with CBC pushing Walker for splinters. If Southwood doesn’t break in this season he’ll almost certainly want our next summer. He’s very keen to make a big impression this summer.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 30 Jun 2019 20:25

Wallsy
Zip
Hound Adequate is a fair summary. Ie not great, but wouldn’t be too horrified if he started the season

Hmm. I’m not so sure. Would rather see Southwood ahead of him.

So would I, with CBC pushing Walker for splinters. If Southwood doesn’t break in this season he’ll almost certainly want our next summer. He’s very keen to make a big impression this summer.

Southwood told he can leave. Seems CBC has made such a significant impression that he’s moved above Luke.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2019 20:26

We’ve certainly set ourselves up to look a bit silly letting Hillson, Ward and Southwood go (if true)

Still a little surprised if that is the case

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2019 20:33

Hound We’ve certainly set ourselves up to look a bit silly letting Hillson, Ward and Southwood go (if true)

Why on Hillson? I couldn't disagree more on that one. Or Legg, or Ward.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Jun 2019 21:10

I hate to bleat on about it but isnt Southwood supposed to be really, quite good?
Is it possible this move is because he wants to leave or do we think the club just doesn't rate him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2019 21:19

maffff
Hound We’ve certainly set ourselves up to look a bit silly letting Hillson, Ward and Southwood go (if true)

Not judging any - not really watched them bar a few from Ward, and I’m sure Gomes and co know what they are doing . But two highly rated keepers &1 who seems likely to sign on at Arsenal.

But we’ve so many keepers on the books guess we had to shed a load at some point - though slightly odd when we’re short ourselves atm

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 30 Jun 2019 21:52

Hound
maffff

Not judging any - not really watched them bar a few from Ward, and I’m sure Gomes and co know what they are doing . But two highly rated keepers &1 who seems likely to sign on at Arsenal.

But we’ve so many keepers on the books guess we had to shed a load at some point - though slightly odd when we’re short ourselves atm

Can't keep them all. Short on genuine first choices - Southwood, Driscoll and CBC may shout but it's likely too soon for some of them. Legg I can only see going off to non league and Ward's level is likely league one at best. I can't see we'll regret that move - not that I think he's any worse than Walker.

Hillson got crowded out. Same age as Roberts and Andrésson, who were above him for u23, season before last Collins overtook him and CBC has rocketed in progress since. Something has to give similar to when Collings went to Brighton, Tupper to Palace and Rosario to Huddersfield. Only Tupper has done anything since and Rosario has since been released. Same as when Santangelo emerged at United.

I can't see Hillson having a long term future if he goes at Arsenal, likely extra numbers as understudy to Okonkwo given Iliev and Macey's futures are yet to be resolved.

Hillson barely got a look in at u18 or u23 on his loan, made it to the bench once for each iirc.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Jul 2019 01:05

NewCorkSeth I hate to bleat on about it but isnt Southwood supposed to be really, quite good?
Is it possible this move is because he wants to leave or do we think the club just doesn't rate him.

Maybe a bit of both?
How good he is, and/or how far he projects, I’ve not heard much on that myself.
With a few young keepers, unlikely all will ‘make it’, whether here or elsewhere.
With new sheriff in town, opinion can shift, which obv can apply to other players too, and happens at other clubs with manager turnover (and even happens at clubs from season to season with no manager turnover).
I'd be intrigued to see him play, but rarely have, and so can’t really endorse or advocate for him.

Edit: mafff, thx for the above.