Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Royalwaster » 01 Jul 2019 18:00

Just looked at pics on OS - is one of the last pics Jordan Obita? Is he back in training or still injured?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Jul 2019 18:51

Royalwaster Just looked at pics on OS - is one of the last pics Jordan Obita? Is he back in training or still injured?

Back in training.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jul 2019 19:06

I don’t think Gunter will be surprised by this. At the end of our final game of the season he just sat down on the pitch with GMac. I felt then that it may well have been the last game for both in a Reading shirt. No surprise but they have both been good servants for this club and good ambassadors too

The writing was on the wall for both Bod and Baldock who didn’t get a look in at the back end of last season. Not bothered about Baldock but I do feel for Bod who has always given everything on the pitch.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Jul 2019 20:09

Don't blame the club for wanting to move all of those players on. Even the likes of Jon Dadi who (although works hard) is a distinctively average striker with below par finishing. He's probably on decent money and unlikely to fit this style of play.

Whilst sad to see Gunter transfer listed and been a top servant to the club, he's likely to be one of our highest earners and whilst he's a good player at this level, he's not great value for money and we need to cut costs. Would take £1.5m each for him and Bod.

Can't blame the club for transfer listing the others. Hopefully they'll find new clubs swiftly and we can bring in 4-5 good signings.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2019 20:58

Looks like we have some ex Man City chap on trial - Denzeil Boadu

Looked like he was highly rated once upon a time

Little video of them training. Definitely Nova, Smith and Kelly there. Didn’t see Southwood but there was another keeper (Driscoll?)

A couple I didn’t recognise tbh, but didn’t look that hard. Obita looks A happy chap

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jul 2019 21:08

Hound Looks like we have some ex Man City chap on trial - Denzeil Boadu

Little video of them training. Definitely Nova, Smith and Kelly there. Didn’t see Southwood but there was another keeper (Driscoll?)

A couple I didn’t recognise tbh, but didn’t look that hard. Obita looks A happy chap

Obita full of smiles. Good to see. Very surprised Smith is involved. I can’t see any way he will be involved with the first team next season. Also can’t see Kelly being involved either.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jul 2019 21:14

Notts Royal URZZ - could you explain to me what Liam Kelly adds? What’s his defining attribute?

I don’t think he had a defining attribute. Out of interest, what do think Rinomhota’s defining attribute is, I always thought he was a well rounded player at most things with no particular outstanding feature. Anyway...

I think he gets into space well always creating an option. He generally keeps the ball well, with a few howler passes from time to time. He has a good shot on him and has scored a few crackers in the last couple of seasons. He’s very good at hassling his marker and not giving them time and space, maintaining a decent level of press

My biggest flaws are he tries the spectacular pass too often where he isn’t good enough to do it when a simple pass is on. Obviously lack of height and physicality is a problem, especially with Swift in there as well. And he can play some horrible passes as well

I think two of his best performances in a Reading shirt were against United at Old Trafford. So is he more adept against stronger opposition (also v good at top of the league Leeds this season) or merely a coincidence...

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jul 2019 21:15

Saw Tennai Watson and Howe there as well, which further backs up the Gunter story

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jul 2019 21:19

Zip
The writing was on the wall for both Bod and Baldock who didn’t get a look in at the back end of last season. Not bothered about Baldock but I do feel for Bod who has always given everything on the pitch.

Reading between the lines here but that’s a disservice to Bod and Baldock IMO. Firstly it seems you’re suggesting Bod was only useful for his work rate and effort. His goals per game record is very good IIRC. Also sounds like you’re suggesting Baldock didn’t give everything on the pitch. He may not have shown his quality but it wasn’t for the lack of effort

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2019 21:23

URZZZZ

Saw Tennai Watson and Howe there as well, which further backs up the Gunter story

Yes slightly surprised with Watson as well bring there but if Gomes thinks him and Howe can do a job, makes sense to let Gunter go

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jul 2019 21:30

URZZZZ
Zip

Reading between the lines here but that’s a disservice to Bod and Baldock IMO. Firstly it seems you’re suggesting Bod was only useful for his work rate and effort. His goals per game record is very good IIRC. Also sounds like you’re suggesting Baldock didn’t give everything on the pitch. He may not have shown his quality but it wasn’t for the lack of effort

No need to read between the lines and put your own spin on what I have said. Bod has been too injury prone to be relied upon . He has a decent scoring record but from a limited number of games. Baldock was wholly ineffective as a striker. He was better playing in a wider role. He worked hard but didn’t achieve a great deal.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 01 Jul 2019 21:31

So at training today there were just 6 non academy players: Walker, Moore, Blackett, Meite, Barrow & Swift....with Barrow wanting out and Yiadom on international duty.

Scary

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Jul 2019 21:35

Yes, scanned back through and it’s massively academy heavy - the ones I didn’t recognise are I think Olise (new hairdo), the keeper, Medford Smith, and maybe Frost

Very very inexperienced squad there

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jul 2019 21:38

So in the entire squad, we have only three foreigners/non academy players right? Yiadom, Meite and Barrow. And ones likely to be out the door. Whilst it looks scary on paper, it’s pretty impressive to have such a domestic based squad and is certainly a stark contrast to some of the random foreign names who have come and gone

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 01 Jul 2019 21:43

Mid Sussex Royal So at training today there were just 6 non academy players: Walker, Moore, Blackett, Meite, Barrow & Swift....with Barrow wanting out and Yiadom on international duty.

Scary

Strange why a player wanting out was included...

I wonder why they didn't bring everyone in for the first day back (as was rumoured last week) as I'm sure Gomes has never seen a couple of the players actually play in the flesh.

Guess it's a balancing act between ability, experience, availability of alternative players (in the squad/on the market) and financial cost.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Jul 2019 21:43

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

No need to read between the lines and put your own spin on what I have said. Bod has been too injury prone to be relied upon . He has a decent scoring record but from a limited number of games. Baldock was wholly ineffective as a striker. He was better playing in a wider role. He worked hard but didn’t achieve a great deal.

Well considering Bodvarsson has played 53 times for us, I don’t think that’s too shabby. Bear in mind he had a period where Stam didn’t play him even when fit, then I don’t think he’s been injured that long. Interestingly a much higher proportion of games played to injured than Oliviera who a lot of our fans want us to sign on no doubt higher wages. Just as long as we’re not left with Sam Smith leafing the line come 3rd August, now he really is garbage

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Jul 2019 21:45

URZZZZ So in the entire squad, we have only three foreigners/non academy players right? Yiadom, Meite and Barrow. And ones likely to be out the door. Whilst it looks scary on paper, it’s pretty impressive to have such a domestic based squad and is certainly a stark contrast to some of the random foreign names who have come and gone

Bod, Popa.
Meyler and McNulty aren't homegrown either

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jul 2019 21:47

URZZZZ
Zip
URZZZZ

Well considering Bodvarsson has played 53 times for us, I don’t think that’s too shabby. Bear in mind he had a period where Stam didn’t play him even when fit, then I don’t think he’s been injured that long. Interestingly a much higher proportion of games played to injured than Oliviera who a lot of our fans want us to sign on no doubt higher wages. Just as long as we’re not left with Sam Smith leafing the line come 3rd August, now he really is garbage

In three seasons in the Championship Bod has scored 17 goals. That’s simply not enough.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Jul 2019 22:07

URZZZZ Then suddenly 12 months later it became the “cool” thing to criticise Kelly when results weren’t going well and everyone piled on him

Too inconsistant week to week. Lacks the engine to get up and down the pitch. Better suited to league one . Unless he's putting the work in to improve.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Jul 2019 22:10

Lower West
URZZZZ Then suddenly 12 months later it became the “cool” thing to criticise Kelly when results weren’t going well and everyone piled on him

Too inconsistant week to week. Lacks the engine to get up and down the pitch. Better suited to league one . Unless he's putting the work in to improve.

Very much so.

1826 posts