Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Royal Monkey

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Royal Monkey » 02 Jul 2019 14:59

Does anyone know if McCleary has been released or told to stay away and find a new club ? I haven’t heard anything and couldn’t see him in any pics of the players returning to training.
Also had a Leeds supporting guy I know text me a few days ago from Portugal saying his kids had made friends with McClearys kids. This was Saturday so I take it he didn’t/isn’t returning??

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 02 Jul 2019 15:01

Lets face it we just survived with 5 amazing loanees. This season looks like we may have only one of them. We are unlikely to be able to sign anyone and will be left with disgruntled senior players that we can't get rid of. We don't have a goalkeeper thats above League 2 level, If that's not a recipe for relegation that I'm not sure what is. Our only hope is Gomes and the youngsters but will that be enough??

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jul 2019 15:01

Lower West
URZZZZ Then suddenly 12 months later it became the “cool” thing to criticise Kelly when results weren’t going well and everyone piled on him

Too inconsistant week to week. Lacks the engine to get up and down the pitch. Better suited to league one.

Swear I read somewhere that League 1 would destroy him? Can't remember where that was though. :wink:
Mid Sussex Royal So at training today there were just 6 non academy players: Walker, Moore, Blackett, Meite, Barrow & Swift....with Barrow wanting out and Yiadom on international duty.

Scary

Ha, some have been crying out for this for years. We've finally got our Reading back!

I'm assuming Gomes will get some props for taking a look at the kids? :wink:
Last edited by Denver Royal on 02 Jul 2019 17:39, edited 2 times in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jul 2019 15:05

paddy20 Lets face it we just survived with 5 amazing loanees. This season looks like we may have only one of them. We are unlikely to be able to sign anyone and will be left with disgruntled senior players that we can't get rid of. We don't have a goalkeeper thats above League 2 level, If that's not a recipe for relegation that I'm not sure what is. Our only hope is Gomes and the youngsters but will that be enough??

Or you wait until the transfer window is over and we actually know what squad we can put out before you get all jittery.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Jul 2019 15:19

Denver Royal I'm assuming Gomes will get some props for taking a look at the kids? :wink:

Not sure tbh, don’t know about the states but that sort of thing usually frowned upon over here.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jul 2019 15:26

Hibs have been taken over today and are now debt free - may see them more willing to meet our valuation of McNulty now.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jul 2019 15:32

CountryRoyal
Denver Royal I'm assuming Gomes will get some props for taking a look at the kids? :wink:

Not sure tbh, don’t know about the states but that sort of thing usually frowned upon over here.

Yeah, I'm still in the UK a fair bit. Might be something in the water.

Stranded Hibs have been taken over today and are now debt free - may see them more willing to meet our valuation of McNulty now.

I still might take Ian 'I told y'all' Royal to task if they do. He never qualified his assertion. :wink:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jul 2019 16:38

Denver Royal
Lower West
URZZZZ Then suddenly 12 months later it became the “cool” thing to criticise Kelly when results weren’t going well and everyone piled on him

Too inconsistant week to week. Lacks the engine to get up and down the pitch. Better suited to league one.

Thought I heard somewhere that League 1 would destroy him. Anyway...
Mid Sussex Royal So at training today there were just 6 non academy players: Walker, Moore, Blackett, Meite, Barrow & Swift....with Barrow wanting out and Yiadom on international duty.

Scary

Ha, some have been crying out for this for years. We've finally got our Reading back.

I said something along those lines, it’s always good to have home grown domestic players, although you have to factor in if we would have the same outcome without FFP issues

Only just seen Gunter’s instagram post, he clearly isn’t happy and unless it’s a major coincidence labelled it “shallow”

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Jul 2019 16:40

Royal Monkey Does anyone know if McCleary has been released or told to stay away and find a new club ? I haven’t heard anything and couldn’t see him in any pics of the players returning to training.
Also had a Leeds supporting guy I know text me a few days ago from Portugal saying his kids had made friends with McClearys kids. This was Saturday so I take it he didn’t/isn’t returning??

Both McCleary and Adrian Popa are in the same boat as Gunter, Bod, Baldock, Meyler and McNulty

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... s-16520176

So that's 7 senior players looking to be moved on now. Going to be amazed if they've all managed to move on by 9th August.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Jul 2019 16:48

In regards to Gunters Instagram:

The book has shallow printed on it, if you Google the title you will see and it also has numerous other words printed on it such as cube and populate. I think it's extremely tenuous to read anything into it. He's currently sunning it up with Ramsey in Turin. Little more.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2019 17:15

Jagermesiter1871 In regards to Gunters Instagram:

The book has shallow printed on it, if you Google the title you will see and it also has numerous other words printed on it such as cube and populate. I think it's extremely tenuous to read anything into it. He's currently sunning it up with Ramsey in Turin. Little more.

Agreed leon.

So we now know that GMac, Popa, Baldock and Bod are effectively transfer listed. Barrow wants to leave. If all five go we ain’t got many wingers/players that can play wide left. If a big bid came in for Meite would we really accept?
We would potentially have no senior wingers left.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jul 2019 17:22

Emi Martinez set to stay at Arsenal this season as 2nd choice to try and fight for first team football there - from an article written by Watts

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2019 17:37

That’s prob good for us longer term. Not number 2 at Christmas and chance he could end up here (albeit still unlikely). Also rather him there and not at another champ team

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jul 2019 17:50

Stranded
paddy20 Lets face it we just survived with 5 amazing loanees. This season looks like we may have only one of them. We are unlikely to be able to sign anyone and will be left with disgruntled senior players that we can't get rid of. We don't have a goalkeeper thats above League 2 level, If that's not a recipe for relegation that I'm not sure what is. Our only hope is Gomes and the youngsters but will that be enough??

Or you wait until the transfer window is over and we actually know what squad we can put out before you get all jittery.

Probably the plan to boost the squad with loanees again this transfer window . As long as the small number of permanent transfers are spot on. We'll be ok. The fact that the academy lads have played together is a major plus. Fergie's great team was built on the foundations of the academy system.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jul 2019 18:01

Lower West
Stranded

Probably the plan to boost the squad with loanees again this transfer window . As long as the small number of permanent transfers are spot on. We'll be ok.

Wouldn't that just be a case of 'good fortune' again? In a 'false 3rd' kinda way :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2019 18:03

Silver Fox If there's an issue it's people declaring that kelly's done when the evidence of yesterday suggests differently.

See also Gunter, who would have only had 3 weeks off if he came back yesterday, but all the experts on here know he's as good as gone (tbf several people have mentioned that, but I think it's been ignored generally)

BTW Ian, don't worry about replying to the Gunter point, we know how you feel on that one

Absolutely right we do. He's excellent back up to Yiadom and Blackett and it would be a shame to lose him just because he's on big wages. Although of course he would block Howe and Watson's progress a bit.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 02 Jul 2019 18:03

Zip
Jagermesiter1871 In regards to Gunters Instagram:

Agreed leon.

So we now know that GMac, Popa, Baldock and Bod are effectively transfer listed. Barrow wants to leave. If all five go we ain’t got many wingers/players that can play wide left. If a big bid came in for Meite would we really accept?
We would potentially have no senior wingers left.

Personally would prefer to cash in on Meite now whilst his fee will, in my eyes, be inflated and keep one of 4, probably G Mac for me assuming massively cut wages/no reasonable transfer offers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2019 18:08

Denver Royal
Lower West

Swear I read somewhere that League 1 would destroy him? Can't remember where that was though. :wink:

Scary

Ha, some have been crying out for this for years. We've finally got our Reading back!

Not sure he should get much credit if he doesn't have any other option.

After all, someone introducing a certain player of the season didn't get much recognition for it. :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2019 18:11

Denver Royal
CountryRoyal

Yeah, I'm still in the UK a fair bit. Might be something in the water.

Stranded Hibs have been taken over today and are now debt free - may see them more willing to meet our valuation of McNulty now.

I still might take Ian 'I told y'all' Royal to task if they do. He never qualified his assertion. :wink:

Good news for them, even so, most Scottish clubs are unlikely to spend £1m+ on anyone.

Good news for him, us and Hibs if they can.

Just passing on what my Hibbee informant tells me.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Jul 2019 18:47

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
Lower West Too inconsistant week to week. Lacks the engine to get up and down the pitch. Better suited to league one.

Scary

Not sure he should get much credit if he doesn't have any other option.

After all, someone introducing a certain player of the season didn't get much recognition for it. :wink:

It may have been an option for him to bring in and take a look at a few (older) free agent type players who are trying to catch on at a club, or stay in the Champ, no?
(Ha, as I type this, I'm thinking someone might say that he should have done just that :wink: )

1826 posts