Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 15:46

I get wanting to get rid of the high earners. What I don't get is how one minute we are desperate for cash, the next we are turning down money for a replaceable player. Seems mixed messages, this even from the same journo

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2019 15:52

So everyone’s “list of five” isn’t including our senior player of the season, interesting

For what it’s worth Yiadom isn’t worth 10 million, but Barrow certainly isn’t. Meite and Swift should be around the 5 mark as well, so we’d be fools to reject double figures for any of those three

Not sure I believe the article to be honest...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jul 2019 15:55

Hound I get wanting to get rid of the high earners. What I don't get is how one minute we are desperate for cash, the next we are turning down money for a replaceable player. Seems mixed messages, this even from the same journo

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 15:56

maybe, but surely that was in the pipeline for months

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jul 2019 15:57

Yeah, possibly but I guess they could've always pulled out at the last minute and it isn't done until its totally done?

Plus there was the switch over to the new financial year.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2019 15:58

Zip
NewCorkSeth Talk Reading on Twitter reporting the owners have a 5 players on a do not sell list. Think we can all guess that Moore, Meite, Rinomhota and Loader are on it. Talk Reading believe that Barrow is also on the list.

Interesting approach. The owners want to find a different way out of the financial hole we are in rather than relying on selling our best assets. I know Ian is against this (which is fair enough, no judegement) but I am heartened to see the value they are putting on players. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

I applaud them for it. It shows they are taking an interest in the playing side and not looking to cash in on our more marketable players. Now that the loanees have departed we don’t have that many players available who are good performers at Championship level. It leaves plenty of other players available to sell although a fair few will be difficult to shift.

I do agree with you but we’re still not in a good enough position to overprice a players’ valuation

There’s a part of me who thinks we’ll be OK with the promising youngsters coming through. But at the same time, we’re not following too much of a dissimilar path to Ipswich 12 months ago (sell off first teamers, looking at young loans, using academy kids). Interested to see how it will pan out

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 16:01

Hendo Yeah, possibly but I guess they could've always pulled out at the last minute and it isn't done until its totally done?

yeah - but again they know the new financial year was coming - you'd just hold off til then

Its an odd story all round. Not sure how accurate it is

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 16:02

URZZZZ
Zip
NewCorkSeth Talk Reading on Twitter reporting the owners have a 5 players on a do not sell list. Think we can all guess that Moore, Meite, Rinomhota and Loader are on it. Talk Reading believe that Barrow is also on the list.

Interesting approach. The owners want to find a different way out of the financial hole we are in rather than relying on selling our best assets. I know Ian is against this (which is fair enough, no judegement) but I am heartened to see the value they are putting on players. I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

I applaud them for it. It shows they are taking an interest in the playing side and not looking to cash in on our more marketable players. Now that the loanees have departed we don’t have that many players available who are good performers at Championship level. It leaves plenty of other players available to sell although a fair few will be difficult to shift.

I do agree with you but we’re still not in a good enough position to overprice a players’ valuation

There’s a part of me who thinks we’ll be OK with the promising youngsters coming through. But at the same time, we’re not following too much of a dissimilar path to Ipswich 12 months ago (sell off first teamers, looking at young loans, using academy kids). Interested to see how it will pan out

Didn't Ipswich buy a load of shit from Div1? Can't really remember too well but think Hurst bought in a load of his old favourites who weren't up to the job in the champ

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Jul 2019 16:02

Hound
Hendo Yeah, possibly but I guess they could've always pulled out at the last minute and it isn't done until its totally done?

yeah - but again they know the new financial year was coming - you'd just hold off til then

Its an odd story all round. Not sure how accurate it is

Yeah, I dunno. The only big financial news was the new sponsorship deal, that is where my guesses end.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 16:37

club seems to have kicked itself into gear today

Moore announced as club captain

and prices for the Chelsea game (pretty decent)

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/j ... on-monday2

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 05 Jul 2019 16:54

Hound club seems to have kicked itself into gear today

Moore announced as club captain

and prices for the Chelsea game (pretty decent)

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/j ... on-monday2

Probably a carrot on a stick to try get him to stay. Some mediocre prem team like west ham or Southampton will snap him up in jan

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 17:02

Novakovich may be a contender.

I actually agree with the principle (not necessarily the players) as long as we try to target other high value & cost players to go to other clubs so we can keep those mustn't sells. Not just the low value high cost players no one wants.

S'why I champion selling Swiftikins.

Because if it's no one or or one of our must keeps I can't see an option other than one of them going. There's only so many ways to boost income and cut costs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Jul 2019 17:15

Snowflake Royal

Novakovich may be a contender.

I actually agree with the principle (not necessarily the players) as long as we try to target other high value & cost players to go to other clubs so we can keep those mustn't sells. Not just the low value high cost players no one wants.

S'why I champion selling Swiftikins.

Because if it's no one or or one of our must keeps I can't see an option other than one of them going. There's only so many ways to boost income and cut costs.

Yeah. Sensible running of a club. But I'm excited to see the owners get bullish. It's weird. My head says we have to seek my heart says we have to keep.

Also I hope Yiadom is at least a try not to sell. Proper RB.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jul 2019 17:27

The right call to make Moore captain. He will lead by example. There may have been doubts about his commitment in the early part of last season. There could be no doubts as the season progressed. Brave as a lion.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jul 2019 17:40

For the record my list would be:
Moore
Yiadom
Rinomhota
Meite
Novakovich

Moore
Because we're so short in his position selling him for less than crazy money doesn't bare thinking about.

Yiadom
He's drastically improved the team and we've found getting good RBs hard recently. I can't see him being one of our top earners, or bringing in massive value either.

Rinomhota
The only genuinely reliable and quality central midfielder we have. He's young, he's a connection point for the fans and his value is likely to grow. Unlikely to be a top earner.

Meite
He's one of our most dangerous players and there's a real connection with him to the stands. I think his value is only going to grow with us next season. Unlikely to be a top earner.

Novakovich
Similar to Rino, he poses the opportunity to keep reengaging the fan base as an academy product. Not going to be a top earner and his value is likely to increase after a season with us in the championship.

Barrow isn't on my list because I don't see his value going up, his performances are highly inconsistent and he is going to be a top earner. So cashing in while we can to take a big chunk off the wage bill for a player who isn't very reliable seems a good idea to me. It does leave us weak at LW, but that can have dealt with.

Similarly Swift, Bodvarsson, Blackett and Baldock in some if not all aspects for all of them.

Loader is an odd one. Have a good season and his value rockets. Have a disappointing one and it probably plummets. I'd sell, but not cheap and not if we can cash in big elsewhere on Barrow, Swift or Bod.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2019 18:04

Meyler confirms he’s back at training on Monday

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jul 2019 18:08

Gomes on YouTube certainly sounds like he is expecting some new players before the Sevilla game

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Jul 2019 20:44

Kelly nearing a move away

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Jul 2019 20:59

Hound I get wanting to get rid of the high earners. What I don't get is how one minute we are desperate for cash, the next we are turning down money for a replaceable player. Seems mixed messages, this even from the same journo

We don't know how much was offered. With many clubs suffering from financial contraints it's a buyers market.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Jul 2019 22:02

URZZZZ There’s a part of me who thinks we’ll be OK with the promising youngsters coming through. But at the same time, we’re not following too much of a dissimilar path to Ipswich 12 months ago (sell off first teamers, looking at young loans, using academy kids). Interested to see how it will pan out

Looking at the squad we apparently currently have, (assuming the 7 ostracised 1st teamers all find clubs), it will pan out exactly the same way as it did for Ipswich last season - relegation.

To me this has all the hallmarks of 71/72 when we had to make do with kids. Who would have though Stam and Gourlay would STILL be negatively impacting our club. Kids in a sweetshop back in 16/17, spending, net after transfer income, more money than all previous RFC managers put together.

1826 posts