CONFIMRED - Joao Virginia

124 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Joao Virginia

by Zip » 06 Jul 2019 12:21

From what I’ve read he is highly rated at Everton. Seriously impressed for their U23’s last season and suggested he would be challenging to make their first team squad this season. So it looks like he is coming here as our number one.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Jul 2019 14:08

Some dude on Twitter who appears to know w lot about Portuguese players is very complimentary about this guy. Says hes a certain future international for Portugal. Shot stopping, ball at feet and command of his area all strkng points. Only possible weakness he mentions is one on ones.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Jul 2019 19:41

Is there a chance we are after this guy purely because we have been speaking to Bibbo? After Martinez last season maybe someone at the club who still talks to Bibbo asked him if he had any other recommendations and he pointed us in Virginias direction.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Jul 2019 22:05

NewCorkSeth Is there a chance we are after this guy purely because we have been speaking to Bibbo? After Martinez last season maybe someone at the club who still talks to Bibbo asked him if he had any other recommendations and he pointed us in Virginias direction.

No.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 06 Jul 2019 22:15

Jose has a very good relationship with Marco Silva. Might help us with future deals, who knows. This one seems to be all but done and the lad will fly out to Spain to meet up with the squad.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Jul 2019 22:23

Pepe the Horseman
NewCorkSeth Is there a chance we are after this guy purely because we have been speaking to Bibbo? After Martinez last season maybe someone at the club who still talks to Bibbo asked him if he had any other recommendations and he pointed us in Virginias direction.

No.

Sorry.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Jul 2019 22:58

NewCorkSeth
Pepe the Horseman

No.

Sorry.

Np x

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 Jul 2019 10:48

Possibly, Virginia was at Arsenal before last season.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Jul 2019 11:25

It looks as though he has spent a lot of time on the bench at Arsenal and Everton for their under age teams.
I reckon he will be our no.2-it would be quite a gamble to make him no.1 when he has had such little experience.
It doesn't say much for the many keepers that we have at the club who always seem to carry the tag of being "highly rated" and clearly they are not so highly rated by Gomes who was quick to bring in Martinez last season..

I think we can expect more and more Portuguese players but that is no bad thing if any are somewhere near as good as those brought in by Wolves.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Jul 2019 11:25

Presumably Martinez would be very familiar with him as well, expect he was probably asked

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Jul 2019 21:50

Confimred

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Joao Virginia

by Hound » 11 Jul 2019 22:02

It’s a gamble but he’s clearly a talented lad, and it could be a great signing

Looking forward to seeing him play

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 11 Jul 2019 22:04

Wow. Assuming he's coming in as first choice, can't be many keepers to go straight from U23 football to the championship especially as a teenager.
Big step up, gonna have to adapt to the physicality quickly, hope he does well.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 11 Jul 2019 22:06

Victor Meldrew It looks as though he has spent a lot of time on the bench at Arsenal and Everton for their under age teams.
I reckon he will be our no.2-it would be quite a gamble to make him no.1 when he has had such little experience.
It doesn't say much for the many keepers that we have at the club who always seem to carry the tag of being "highly rated" and clearly they are not so highly rated by Gomes who was quick to bring in Martinez last season..

I think we can expect more and more Portuguese players but that is no bad thing if any are somewhere near as good as those brought in by Wolves.

It would be very unusual and surprising if we had signed a loan goalkeeper to spend all season on the bench.

Not to say it wouldn't be a gamble, as you say he's very inexperienced, but I don't see the benefit to any of the three parties in him sitting on our bench when he could be getting regular U23 football for Everton.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2019 22:12

Definitely coming into start. Be amazed if he doesn’t line up against Sheff Weds

Walker seems happy enough as back up, and guessing fairly cheap wages wise. Decent enough if required and things don’t work out for JV

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jul 2019 22:22

Speaks perfect English too. Debut v Sevilla presumably.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jul 2019 22:27

Victor Meldrew It looks as though he has spent a lot of time on the bench at Arsenal and Everton for their under age teams.

I reckon he’s coming in as our number 1. There was talk of him pushing to make the Everton first team squad this season. He won’t be coming in to warm the bench.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Jul 2019 22:39

I'm sure hes coming in as number 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if the official line from the club will be that hes "here to provide healthy competition".

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2019 23:03

Risky. Fingers crossed.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 11 Jul 2019 23:09

Watching a couple of you tube clips, I can understand why Jose likes him, he's good with the ball at his feet, and distribution looks good too...but he's not particularly tall, looks like he likes to punch the ball, and for me is going to find the EFL a step up.
As mentioned , physically he may find it harder too. Whilst there's no doubt he's got talent, I think this is a big risk for jose to take.
Hope the risk pays off, but this guys is defo not a Martinez.

124 posts