CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

107 posts
CavershamRoyal

CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

by CavershamRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 15:29

This seems a bit out of nowhere. Michael Morrison joins on a two-year deal.

31 years old, plays CB and can cover RB, was last at Birmingham. Played 43 times in the league last season.

Adds much-needed experience to the team and provides good competition with the younger lads, but probably means Miazga is now unlikely?

yuomi

Re: CONFIMRED - Michael Morrison

by yuomi » 19 Jul 2019 15:32

Club statement is a bit ambiguous on whether Jose played any role in this at all. If not, and Howe's sanctioned this in his absence, I'm not sure how he'll feel.

IMO Morrison's a beast and a battler and as good as we could hope to get for nothing but wages.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jul 2019 15:35

need a bit of height, strength and experience in at CB, and some leadership in the team, and this ticks all of those boxes.
how is he on the ball?
Last edited by Maneki Neko on 19 Jul 2019 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jul 2019 15:35

Blimey, wasn't expecting that

Unfortunately the 15 year olds on Twitter are acting ungrateful as per, but I think this is a smart signing.
Last edited by genome on 19 Jul 2019 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 15:38

My BCFC friends reaction - "Solid defender, gives his all"

I asked how he is in the ball. "Not great to be honest. A bot of a lump it forward defender"
Jose will love that.

Apparently he would agree a contract extension there hence why he was released. So not because they didnt want him.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Jul 2019 15:45

Is this a joke? As if we've signed an actual football player.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 19 Jul 2019 15:48

Happy with this. Solid defender that will add a great deal of experience to the squad. As long as he can pass sideways five yards he'll tick all the boxes. :lol:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 19 Jul 2019 15:52

Sounds like a good partner for Moore.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Jul 2019 15:52

A proper moneyball signing

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 15:54

Sounds like a solid signing. Twitter comments include a lot of positive comments from Brum fans along with the condescending "he can do better than Reading" comments which I'll take as a positive. Plenty of experiencing and leadership in a squad likely to rely upon youth. Overall very pleased. I'm not surprised he has left Brum; they truly are the basket case of the division off the pitch.

He sounds like a bit of an old school strong CB. We'll see how it fits with Gomes' preferred style. I expect we'll see more pragmatism in playing style from Gomes this season as we saw last season at times. When we've flushed out the financial mess Gourlay has left behind, maybe then we'll see signings to suit the possession game.

I assume he'll be first choice alongside Moore. Throw in McIntyre, Osho, Holmes and Blackett as cover options and we're looking well set at CB. I think we need bare minimum 3 more signings: 2 in midfield and 1 striker.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 15:55

WestYorksRoyal Sounds like a solid signing. Twitter comments include a lot of positive comments from Brum fans along with the condescending "he can do better than Reading" comments which I'll take as a positive. Plenty of experiencing and leadership in a squad likely to rely upon youth. Overall very pleased. I'm not surprised he has left Brum; they truly are the basket case of the division off the pitch.

He sounds like a bit of an old school strong CB. We'll see how it fits with Gomes' preferred style. I expect we'll see more pragmatism in playing style from Gomes this season as we saw last season at times. When we've flushed out the financial mess Gourlay has left behind, maybe then we'll see signings to suit the possession game.

I assume he'll be first choice alongside Moore. Throw in McIntyre, Osho, Holmes and Blackett as cover options and we're looking well set at CB. I think we need bare minimum 3 more signings: 2 in midfield and 1 striker.

Dejavu.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jul 2019 15:57

yuomi Club statement is a bit ambiguous on whether Jose played any role in this at all. If not, and Howe's sanctioned this in his absence, I'm not sure how he'll feel.

IMO Morrison's a beast and a battler and as good as we could hope to get for nothing but wages.

Seriously doubt that any player would arrive at the club without Jose being aware and approving it.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 15:57

Well, wasn’t expecting this.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 19 Jul 2019 15:58

Maneki Neko need a bit of height, strength and experience in at CB, and some leadership in the team, and this ticks all of those boxes.

A bit of height is prolly accurate. According to Wiki he's 'only' 6'0 foot? :|

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 15:58

NewCorkSeth
WestYorksRoyal Sounds like a solid signing. Twitter comments include a lot of positive comments from Brum fans along with the condescending "he can do better than Reading" comments which I'll take as a positive. Plenty of experiencing and leadership in a squad likely to rely upon youth. Overall very pleased. I'm not surprised he has left Brum; they truly are the basket case of the division off the pitch.

Dejavu.

When you don't log on often, it's all about maximising attention your infrequent posts will get.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 19 Jul 2019 15:59

WestYorksRoyal
NewCorkSeth

Dejavu.

When you don't log on often, it's all about maximising attention your infrequent posts will get.

Fair play. It's working x

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2019 16:04

fine. happy enough with that, experienced champ defender.

Obvs not exactly exciting but will allow us to bring McIntyre and Osho through gradually to take over from him

scored 7 goals last year apparently

MelkshamRoyal

by MelkshamRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 16:06

Appears he might have crossed paths with Moore at Leicester back in 2011 with Moore aged 18.
Surely can only mean good things for their upcoming CB Partnership!

Side Note: That's 3 Captains/Ex-Captains making up our back line with Yiadom captaining Barnsley, Morrison @ Birmingham and Moore with Reading.. Let's hope he is more of a Yiadom than an O'shea (Shock.. Another ex-captain at Sunderland).

Looks like we will be surrounding the young Virginia with a lot of leadership.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2019 16:07

Is this also the end of the Heneghan rumour? McIntyre looks ready for 3rd choice CB role.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2019 16:10

yeah would have thought so

decent stats on who scored - overall rating of an impressive 6.98 inc 4.2 headed duals won per game

107 posts