Next Season's Squad.

1826 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Season's Squad.

by Stranded » 22 Jul 2019 08:56

Random rumour from a Blackpool fan on that there Twitter that Charlie Adam signed for us on Friday night.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 22 Jul 2019 09:30

another moneyball signing id be happy with

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 22 Jul 2019 09:49

So few goals scored on Spanish trip. We are desperate for a striker

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2019 09:51

Seemed more an issue of creating chances from the bits I watched tbh

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jul 2019 10:31

CF on twitter.
Bit of transfer news coming up... tin hat ready! #readingfc

Charlie Adam.
Last edited by windermereROYAL on 22 Jul 2019 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Jul 2019 10:31

Anybody else thinking relegation looks likely unless Howe and Gomes pull a few surprises out of the bag? I just think the experience and depth is not up to the task of a long, gruelling Championship season. There are 5 or 6 other teams who will have similar concerns so maybe we'll hang in.

It's frustrating. I feel like the owners are committed and ambitious, Gomes is fantastic and Howe is bringing the club's identity back. Survive this season and ride out the mess Gourlay has left behind and we can definitely become a top half/promotion chasing side again. But I think we're leaving this squad with too much to do, and relegation could set us back 3-4 years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 10:33

Hound Seemed more an issue of creating chances from the bits I watched tbh

Hard to create chances if you have no focal point for your attack. If Loader is going to be first choice striker, unless he drastically changes, we're in real trouble.

Just watching his game it's really all about playing off someone. I'm not convinced he's quite ready for the Chump even in that role, but as the main man? No chance.

The second XI obviously had Nova, but was much more patchwork. And of course Baldock missed some straightforward chances.

More creatives is the last thing we need.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 10:39

Maneki Neko another moneyball signing id be happy with

33, hasn't started 20 league games in a season in the last 5 years.

In fact he's made less than 10 league starts in the last two seasons combined.

Not what I'd hope for in a partner for Rino. If we can get 30 decent performances out of him it would both surprising and great.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Jul 2019 10:43

Snowflake Royal

Not what I'd hope for in a partner for Rino. If we can get 30 decent performances out of him it would both surprising and great.

Also got half an eye on a career in the media. Feels like exactly the kind of signing we shouldn't be making. More Meyler than Ejaria.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Jul 2019 10:44

Snowflake Royal

He was a fat, lazy unfit bastard even in his peak. Could be a handy squad option, but God help us if he's the midfield anchor alongside Rino. This would be the first sign we're getting desperate.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 10:48

Pepe the Horseman
Snowflake Royal

Also got half an eye on a career in the media. Feels like exactly the kind of signing we shouldn't be making. More Meyler than Ejaria.

Oh God, it'd be like Robert's after his first six months.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jul 2019 10:49

Snowflake Royal

Hard to create chances if you have no focal point for your attack. If Loader is going to be first choice striker, unless he drastically changes, we're in real trouble.

Just watching his game it's really all about playing off someone. I'm not convinced he's quite ready for the Chump even in that role, but as the main man? No chance.

The second XI obviously had Nova, but was much more patchwork. And of course Baldock missed some straightforward chances.

depends what you mean creatives. The wingers didn't get into any game I watched, and rarely got behind the defence. That was a concern. Agree no more Swift types though.

Nova and Baldock are both focal points to some degree, as was Meite when he played CF, but bar a couple of chances for Baldock, they didn't get much of a look in from what I saw.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 10:58

Hound
Snowflake Royal

depends what you mean creatives. The wingers didn't get into any game I watched, and rarely got behind the defence. That was a concern. Agree no more Swift types though.

Nova and Baldock are both focal points to some degree, as was Meite when he played CF, but bar a couple of chances for Baldock, they didn't get much of a look in from what I saw.

No point the wingers getting in behind and crossing if Loader is somewhere around the edge of the D. Or even if he's in the box ... he's probably alone.

Baldock really isn't up to leading the line either. He's another second striker... not the main man.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 22 Jul 2019 11:14

Snowflake Royal

Agreed not an inspiring signing, but he won't be a starter in most league games. He's a squad filler with that bit if quality to come on late in a game if we're losing)need a goal. Has a wand of a left foot so dangerous from corners and free kicks. We are fairly light in cm and need bodies.

As long as it's no longer than a year, I'd not be too disappointed, as long as we continue to tlstrengthen that area.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 11:28

StellaPlease
Snowflake Royal

Agreed not an inspiring signing, but he won't be a starter in most league games. He's a squad filler with that bit if quality to come on late in a game if we're losing)need a goal. Has a wand of a left foot so dangerous from corners and free kicks. We are fairly light in cm and need bodies.

As long as it's no longer than a year, I'd not be too disappointed, as long as we continue to tlstrengthen that area.

But we don't need back up. We have back up. What we don't have is a genuine starter to partner Rino. And of course a lack of financial wiggle room to allow us to sign ransom back up players and still afford a starter.

We've not got rid of most of the squad bloat we were unhappy with, bloating it more with Adam is just nonsense.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Jul 2019 11:33

Snowflake Royal
StellaPlease
Snowflake Royal 33, hasn't started 20 league games in a season in the last 5 years.

But we don't need back up. We have back up. What we don't have is a genuine starter to partner Rino. And of course a lack of financial wiggle room to allow us to sign ransom back up players and still afford a starter.

We've not got rid of most of the squad bloat we were unhappy with, bloating it more with Adam is just nonsense.

It would depend upon wage and duration. A 12 month low cost contact is fine, but I agree we can't afford much more. I can see him helping us nick a couple of points with his set pieces, which is valuable. But he's not the first team answer we need in CM.

StellaPlease

by StellaPlease » 22 Jul 2019 11:48

All valid points.

We just have to trust them that they know what they're doing.

I can see us signing Adam and another three anyway, so they must me confident in outgoings.

Let's see how we look on August 3rd before panicking.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 22 Jul 2019 12:00

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Hard to create chances if you have no focal point for your attack. If Loader is going to be first choice striker, unless he drastically changes, we're in real trouble.

No point the wingers getting in behind and crossing if Loader is somewhere around the edge of the D. Or even if he's in the box ... he's probably alone.

Baldock really isn't up to leading the line either. He's another second striker... not the main man.

Which is exactly why Novakovich should lead the line with Baldock just behind. Loader off the bench

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2019 12:06

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Which is exactly why Novakovich should lead the line with Baldock just behind. Loader off the bench

I half agree. Nova lead the line, yes. Baldock, not for me. Loader, Olise, Swift or (should he arrive) Ejaria I'm cool with.

I'd save Baldock to cover Meite or come off the bench to go 4-4-2.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Jul 2019 12:37

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal That seems some fairly hefty assumptions seth.

That's my jam. .

Mine's M & S' Strawberry seedless.

1826 posts