Pre season tour

603 posts
The Cube

Re: Pre season tour

by The Cube » 28 Jul 2019 18:42

Platypuss Blackett went off injured - didn't see how it happened, but did it look like a bad one?

A pull whilst stretching - didn't look too major, and might not even have been an immediate sub had it been a competitive game.

But now he's in the hands of the RFC medical team, so I'd say six months.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 28 Jul 2019 18:43

Ranty McRantface I enjoyed that.

Definitely a tale of 2 halves. We looked more solid and settled 1st half. The 2nd team in the second half looked all too eager to impress and sadly only about 2 or 3 did. I think it's pretty clear who is ready and who isn't. I won't do ratings but I'll give a little write up on each player.

1st Half
Joao - Nothing he could have done with the free kick. I've played in goal and I can tell you it's a keepers nightmare to have a free kick against you dead centre. There is no right or wrong answer to placing the wall. The second goal took a nasty dip and swerve pretty late but he should have been mentally ready for that. Kennedy has a few of those shots in his locker.
Yiadom - Brilliant. Please stay injury free.
McIntyre - Very good. He is 100% ready. So good on the ball too.
Moore - typical performance. Very good.
Blackett - Didn't play long enough.
Richards - he got better as the game went on. I would be happy for him to start if Blackett is still injured.
Barrett - Brilliant. This could be his year. He worked hard, scored a great goal. He got a little cocky with the ball on occasion when he jinked past a couple and should have passed it but hopefully he will learn.
Rino - Did what he does best. Chasing a shadows a couple times but he's pretty much doing the defensive work on his own.
Swift. - He's so 50/50 it's unreal. Doesn't offer anything defensively but when he did get the ball it progressed from defense to attack very quickly. Something we've missed under previous managers.
Barrow - Not a fan today. A couple of powerful runs but that was it.
Meite - Offers a presence up front but didn't do much. Had one header that went miles over.
Loader - All over the pitch. Did OK. One header off the post and a decent shot. Better than Meite.

2nd half. I felt that the team were told to audition for a start on Saturday as we were completely out of shape for 20mins.

Walker - ROFL, LOL, LMAO.
Howe - Tries hard (which I know is a winning trait for a lot of you :lol:) He's somewhat limited. He needs a loan out for the season.
Watson - I felt the Right side was a little safer with him playing. Not by much but enough.
Morrison - Good goal. Looked OK at the back in a ragged defence.
Miazga - A couple of good interceptions. Too late for him to start.
Richards - One of the better players. Did you see that tackle he made to stop Chelsea in the clear. Amazing.
East - I felt he's regressed a bit. Not ready for this league or league 1. He needs a season in League 2.
Adam - I like him. Smooth passing (apart from that one to Walker). He can't tackle but alongside a mobile Cm he will do well for us.
Holsgrove - I felt sorry for him. He's a Cm playing left wing. He did OK tbf but I think he would benefit from a loan out in Cm.
Olise - DAAAAAmn. He needs to start. Skills to the pay bills. He gave some top defenders a torrid time. Great assist and was unlucky not to score.
Baldock - He played really well. Good start and finish for his goal. I can see him forcing his way into Gomes plans a lot more if he plays like that all the time.
Nova - For those that haven't seen him play before he is the sort of casual looking player who springs to life when the ball is at his feet. He did well to win the corner that led to Morrisons goal and made a couple of nice flicks. He should have buried that turn and shot though. He'll be disappointed not to hit the target. I don't think he will play much sadly.

Overall, I thought we gave Chelsea a good show. They will struggle to stay in the top 4 this season for sure. We desperately need more cover in CM as just having Swift, Rino and Adam is not enough. I would also look to sign an experienced keeper too!

Out of the youngsters I would say Barrett, Olise, Loader, Richards, Nova, Watson and McIntyre are the only ones ready for the 1st team. The others need a season loan in League 2. As for Saturday here is who I think will play. Ive assumed Blackett is Injured.

..............................Joao........................
Yiadom..McIntyre..Moore...Richards
...................Swift.....Rino.................
Olise.............Loader..............Barrett..
................... Meite...............

Subs: Andresson, Morrison, Baldock, Adam, Barrow, Watson, Nova.

Sorry but I can not be arsed to do ratings for all of those guys.

If I could have been arsed to write all that, I would have. Absolutely bang on - all of it.

The only minor quibble is I think Watson and possibly Richards aren't quite ready, although I thought the latter did pretty well today.

And full marks to Baldock - to say I'm not his greatest fan ... - who I thought showed his usual lots of effort and running but with more purpose today, culminating in him taking a decent finish.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 28 Jul 2019 18:50

Thanks for the report on the Chelsea game, excellent.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Jul 2019 19:14

Thought we were unlucky....some wonderful interchangeable play in midfield at times.
We broke quickly and looked like we are starting to progress in a really positive manner.
I thought Morrison looked really good at the back and solid.
Word for Charlie Adam, showed a lot of experience when pressed.....and some of his passing and vision is what we need.....and something Kelly lacked.

Only negative point is the keepers. One looks way too short an lightweight and the other looks like a bloody disaster waiting to happen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2019 19:22

Both the Baldock and Barrett Goals were very nice

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Jul 2019 19:48

Ascotexgunner Thought we were unlucky....some wonderful interchangeable play in midfield at times.
We broke quickly and looked like we are starting to progress in a really positive manner.
I thought Morrison looked really good at the back and solid.
Word for Charlie Adam, showed a lot of experience when pressed.....and some of his passing and vision is what we need.....and something Kelly lacked.

Only negative point is the keepers. One looks way too short an lightweight and the other looks like a bloody disaster waiting to happen.

Just seen the highlights and agreed. There is real potential in this squad but we are going to get undone with the keepers from what I have seen. Walker has not looked convincing. Early days for Virginia but it’s high risk having him as first choice.
Barrett and Olise both did well but will either start against Wednesday? I doubt it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jul 2019 20:04

You would have to say that Baldock has trained/played himself into contention given he was still involved today. No need for him to get minutes if he doesn't stand a chance of making the 18.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2019 20:12

Stranded You would have to say that Baldock has trained/played himself into contention given he was still involved today. No need for him to get minutes if he doesn't stand a chance of making the 18.

We’d be mad not use him if he is fit and available imo. Did really well for his goal today and is far more experienced than any other forward option. Plus he is a decent player when fit

He could always play as a wider forward in a 4-3-3 if we wanted a bigger target man type striker

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jul 2019 20:18

Hound
Stranded You would have to say that Baldock has trained/played himself into contention given he was still involved today. No need for him to get minutes if he doesn't stand a chance of making the 18.

We’d be mad not use him if he is fit and available imo. Did really well for his goal today and is far more experienced than any other forward option. Plus he is a decent player when fit

He could always play as a wider forward in a 4-3-3 if we wanted a bigger target man type striker

Agreed. Was it me or did he look really pissed off and gesticulate with a fcuk off toward someone on the East Stand side. Probably the assistant ref, but he wasn't happy.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jul 2019 20:41

Yep looked proper grumpy

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jul 2019 20:53

GK is a bit of a worry, but lol @ anyone suggesting Walker will be our number 1.

That's two very cool and composed finishes from Barret this week, never really rated him but does seem to have a touch of the Ross Barkleys about him.

Thought Loader and Olise both looked good in patches. Disappointed Novakovic didn't take his absolute sitter.

We still need a CM and a striker before i'll be confident of promotion.

Rofl @ mans who were saying we're better off without Oliveira.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jul 2019 20:55

Also that's reminded me. Great attitude from Baldock for cracking on, rather than documenting everything as though it's one big joke. Would be more than happy with him in the squad this season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Jul 2019 21:13

Norfolk Royal Thanks for the report on the Chelsea game, excellent.
seconded, but: why the rofls etc for Walker? (That bad?)

and

Any indication of the crowd size?

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 28 Jul 2019 21:49

AthleticoSpizz

and

Walker was awful mate. He took about 5 years to take a goal kick too.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 28 Jul 2019 22:11

Ranty McRantface
AthleticoSpizz

and

Walker was awful mate. He took about 5 years to take a goal kick too.

Except when he passed the ball to to their attackers.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 28 Jul 2019 22:14

I thought the loan GK wasn't bad or at fault for either of the goals. Walker on the other hand had a shocker.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Jul 2019 22:20

AthleticoSpizz

Around 20k.

Shambles though. Ticket collection was overwhelmed. KO put back 15 minutes. I missed first 7. Walking back to get back in. Queue was still nearly back to where away coach parks.

Why haven't our season tickets cards been issued yet?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Jul 2019 22:22

Southwood is still technically at the club right?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Jul 2019 22:24

Thanks all

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jul 2019 22:28

Jagermesiter1871 I thought the loan GK wasn't bad or at fault for either of the goals. Walker on the other hand had a shocker.

Bit of an odd one that, because Walker started pre-season looking pretty good.

Maybe the pressure of playing against one of the country's main club's when he's being passed over for a kid on loan from Everton got to him. It was a shocker for sure, but I'm minded to give him the benefit of a 'bad day at the office'. Don't think he'll be first choice though.

603 posts