Blue-collar streetfood

145 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Blue-collar streetfood

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Aug 2019 21:56

Hendo Noticed that John the Greek was doing a roaring trade.

It was but the queue was mostly due to the time it took to make the orders. They had the same issue with the burrito stand against Chelsea.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Aug 2019 22:02

Fukk me we are such a middle class club :D .
Really missed my usual grot burger and chips :cry:

Also, had a cup of tea from the hipster place by the cycle racks when I got there. £1.80 was a bit steep but got one anyway. Was tempted by a (small) slice of the lemon drizzle cake...… came to £4.50. FOUR FUKKING POUNDS FIFTY

Fukk Brendy's poncey blue collar street food bollox :evil:

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 04 Aug 2019 22:23

RoyalBlue
Wallsy Tried the burger and chips for £7.50. It is cheaper than the vans last season but I actually prefer the catering from last season. Handmade burgers are great and all but the burgers are too dry! Chips are triple cooked but because they sit waiting for so long they go soft. Came away disappointed. Sorry.

They're not dry because they're hand made, they're dry because they tend to have a much higher lean meat content. Fat burgers usually will be more moist!

Love it moist.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Aug 2019 22:47

John Madejski's Wallet Fukk me we are such a middle class club :D .

Also, had a cup of tea from the hipster place by the cycle racks when I got there. £1.80 was a bit steep but got one anyway. Was tempted by a (small) slice of the lemon drizzle cake...… came to £4.50. FOUR FUKKING POUNDS FIFTY

There is one burger and chips place outside the ground that isn’t too bad but every so often it’s replaced by another where the burgers are disgusting. I had one a few months ago and had to rush to the toilets just after kick off to do a dump. It was disgusting.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Aug 2019 11:39

Previous concessions outside were no cheaper (and in many cases more expensive) for crap food made with shyte ingredients. The smell of fat and cooking oil coming off the old burger van was disgusting.

If you want cheap you can always go to McDonalds where the bastards put staff on zero hours contracts and pay a 17 year old something like £5.35 per hour!

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 05 Aug 2019 12:18

Got into a queue at the burger van (as well as beef burgers, they were offering ostrich, kangaroo and (IIRC) a Bangkok Bad Boy (which, disappointingly, was a spicy bean burger!). This was roughly halfway between gates 5 and 6. Took 5 minutes to reach the front of the queue and pay, then another 35 minutes for the food to be ready. I was still eating as the teams came onto the pitch. But, I have to say, it was one of the best burgers I've ever had at a football match.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Aug 2019 12:45

RoyalBlue

Previous concessions outside were no cheaper (and in many cases more expensive) for crap food made with shyte ingredients. The smell of fat and cooking oil coming off the old burger van was disgusting.

If you want cheap you can always go to McDonalds where the bastards put staff on zero hours contracts and pay a 17 year old something like £5.35 per hour!
A small slice of lemon drizzle cake FFS!!

In terms of the rest of the prices, agreed same as usual.
I just wanted a pork roll and chips ...... RIP the amazing crackling :cry:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Aug 2019 12:46

East Grinstead Royal Got into a queue at the burger van (as well as beef burgers, they were offering ostrich, kangaroo and (IIRC) a Bangkok Bad Boy (which, disappointingly, was a spicy bean burger!). This was roughly halfway between gates 5 and 6. Took 5 minutes to reach the front of the queue and pay, then another 35 minutes for the food to be ready. I was still eating as the teams came onto the pitch. But, I have to say, it was one of the best burgers I've ever had at a football match.

Christ :lol:

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 05 Aug 2019 14:06

Was bloomin starving at half-time, so decided to walk across the line of food outlets at the Royal Rendezvous to see what was on offer. As good as the food looked, I would have needed a table for one, cutlery, hot towels and a glass of Chablis. No way was I taking that back to my seat, so I got a hot-dog from the concourse :|

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 05 Aug 2019 17:06

John Madejski's Wallet
East Grinstead Royal Got into a queue at the burger van (as well as beef burgers, they were offering ostrich, kangaroo and (IIRC) a Bangkok Bad Boy (which, disappointingly, was a spicy bean burger!). This was roughly halfway between gates 5 and 6. Took 5 minutes to reach the front of the queue and pay, then another 35 minutes for the food to be ready. I was still eating as the teams came onto the pitch. But, I have to say, it was one of the best burgers I've ever had at a football match.

Christ :lol:

Yes, I seem to remember mentioning him a couple of times as stood waiting for my food.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Aug 2019 08:54

you sir are a oxf*rd idiot

I had the beef heart from peru sabor. ordered,paid 6 quid, waited 4 minutes beside the van with my beer whilst my food was cooked fresh to order by a delightful Peruvian wonder, then ate the greatest football food i've ever had in all my life.
after the game I collected 4 Portuguese custard tarts from the van outside the south stand for my wife and child who said they were the best example of the foodstuff theyd ever had, and I had a custard donut the size of my head, all for peanuts.

FYI shit food is still available in the stadium, for those who don't know what theyre talking about.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Aug 2019 12:55

Had that self-same menu a few weeks back in the Forbury Gardens, the heart as good as any minute steak, the tarte de nata up there with the best......the prices were the same, which is a pleasant surprise.

(Note to self, next time don’t bother with lunch before leaving for the game)

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 19 Aug 2019 09:26

think their heart sales must suffer just for it being heart, but its honestly up there with any minute steak, like you say.
incredible stuff.
their whole menu is quality.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Aug 2019 09:47

food looked great yesterday - had already eaten so didn't partake but all looked very impressive - and at a decent price as well. Good vegetarian options as well. Big thumbs up for this

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 19 Aug 2019 18:52

Hound food looked great yesterday - had already eaten so didn't partake but all looked very impressive - and at a decent price as well. Good vegetarian options as well. Big thumbs up for this

Felt sorry for the Brian Mac&Cheese stand. They were sited almost camouflaged next to the car parks..just about the only place without a massive queue. Will try them next. Liked the Korean chicken this time..

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Aug 2019 18:57

Zip jnr really enjoyed his chicken combo wrap. I had a pork roll which was a bit of a disappointment.

biff

by biff » 19 Aug 2019 19:52

Delicious chicken tortilla wrap pre game, and a stellar cappuccino afterwards. Its all phucking quality.

The wait is to be expected for fresh food, just have a pint and talk to somebody.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 Aug 2019 20:28

Went for the veggie option due to the length of the queues elsewhere and it was excellent too.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 20 Aug 2019 09:52

biff Delicious chicken tortilla wrap pre game, and a stellar cappuccino afterwards. Its all phucking quality.

The wait is to be expected for fresh food, just have a pint and talk to somebody.

oxf*rd me. How Reading are you

biff

by biff » 20 Aug 2019 11:56

John Smith
biff Delicious chicken tortilla wrap pre game, and a stellar cappuccino afterwards. Its all phucking quality.

oxf*rd me. How Reading are you

8) 8) Man drinks coffee shocker 8) 8)

145 posts