Who do you want in Round Three?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Who do you want in Round Three?

by Sutekh » 28 Aug 2019 22:49

URZZZZ
Zip We seem to get constant away draws in Cup games these days.

This. If you ignore the five league cup home draws in a row before this season :wink:

It’s the FA cup we seem to always get the away draws in (with the exception of the 15/16 run). League cup generally seems more balanced

Last 14 FA Cup draws in reverse order ....

ManU (a)
Sheff W (a)
Stevenage (a)
ManU (a)
Palace (h)
WBA (h)
Walsall (h)
Huddersfield (a)
Arsenal (n)
Bradford (a)
Derby (a)
Cardiff (a)
Huddersfield (a)
Brighton (a)

3 home draws!

JR

by JR » 28 Aug 2019 23:05

CountryRoyal Awful.

Disagree, it’s the perfect tie.

Limited expectation, no incentive to go to the game, yet facing opponents who are winless in the league and the last thing they need in a congested fixture schedule is to host a championship side on the up.

A fabulous chance to reach Round 4 and give the fringe players a further boost.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Aug 2019 23:06

URZZZZ Assuming Wolves go through to the group stages, this game is likely to be played on the Wednesday 25th as their first group stage game will take place on the 19th, hence pushing their league game back to the 22nd and then the league cup game

Considering Wolves’ fixture congestion, it may not be as difficult as people are making out...

Seems like an opportune time to play them.

They are away at Palace in the league the weekend before.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 28 Aug 2019 23:26

krapmle still sheffield wednesday at home. They are struggling against Rotherham tonight and we wouldn't mess about second time around. Then a nice juicy tie in the next round

Love the sig pic Norfolk Road. A proper footy ground.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2019 08:47

JR
CountryRoyal Awful.

Limited expectation, no incentive to go to the game, yet facing opponents who are winless in the league and the last thing they need in a congested fixture schedule is to host a championship side on the up.

Would have to agree with this. Would of course preferred a home tie but we have a tie we can go into with hope rather than expectation and I would expect Gomes to send out a team to get on the front foot and cause, what is likely to be a Wolves B side plenty of problems.

Pretty happy with the draw.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Aug 2019 08:58

Stranded
JR
CountryRoyal Awful.

Would have to agree with this. Would of course preferred a home tie but we have a tie we can go into with hope rather than expectation and I would expect Gomes to send out a team to get on the front foot and cause, what is likely to be a Wolves B side plenty of problems.

Agreed with this as well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2019 09:23

Stranded
JR
CountryRoyal Awful.

Would have liked it if it had been at home. On reflection you are probably right in that it isn't a bad draw - a little uninspiring, but does give the opportunity to test ourselves and a chance of going through.

Forgot how congested their fixtures are, and the fact we will have a had a quiet month leading up to it

Side note - why do we cram a load of fixtures into August when its a)hot b)people on holiday and have hardly anything in Sept, when everyone is back into football and raring to go. Surely move that international break....

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Aug 2019 09:35

It's the kind of tie that's really shit, unless you win it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2019 09:39

Hound
Stranded
JR

Would have liked it if it had been at home. On reflection you are probably right in that it isn't a bad draw - a little uninspiring, but does give the opportunity to test ourselves and a chance of going through.

Forgot how congested their fixtures are, and the fact we will have a had a quiet month leading up to it

Side note - why do we cram a load of fixtures into August when its a)hot b)people on holiday and have hardly anything in Sept, when everyone is back into football and raring to go. Surely move that international break....

I'm not sure what draw would have been inspiring beyond maybe getting Oxford, but we seem to care more about playing them then they do us - possibly only really interesting if it was away. Otherwise we are only really looking at travelling to a lower league club we haven't played for a while as inspiring? Not really fussed about playing one of the big 6 in this cup as we'll be playing their youth teams - so beyond being at home this is probably the most interesting kind of tie there is - a likely winnable tie against a Premier League side.

As for the side note: I think they do it as players are fresher at this point of the season and it gets the season going. The lack of games in September is weird though - only having 3 league games kills momentum. I think that is partly a quirk of Saturday being the 31st but comparing this September for the last few years:

19/20: 3 games
18/19: 5 (1 before Intl break)
17/18: 6
16/17: 5
15/16: 4

So looks like they have dropped at least one midweek fixture. This would have been on the 17/18 September which is when the Champions League starts to may well be a decision made on the fact that those games see smaller crowds due to this so playing this round elsewhere in the calendar.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Aug 2019 09:44

Hendo
Stranded
JR

Agreed with this as well.

its a great tie. Real chance of success with a similar team as put out against Plymouth. Wolves crying out for some form, and a Europa league campaign, last thing they want is a battle with us in front of 5,000 fans.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Aug 2019 09:45

Less games in September will be good for us. It must have been a whirlwind few weeks for the new arrivals with fixture congestion and not much time to rest up and settle in. They seem to have relished it, but a bit more down time and less pressured time on the training ground with their new team mates will surely be helpful. I had low / realistic expectations of these initial weeks when the window closed, which will have been surpassed even if we lose to Charlton. Hopefully the international break and September allows everyone time to integrate a bit more and we can push on even further.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2019 09:47

would find Oxford very uninspiring. I'm guessing this is a bit of generational thing, but feel absolutely nothing towards them. Its not particularly close to Reading, and a complete pain to travel to. And they are rubbish.

Realise we have no local rivals to speak of, but I feel more something towards the west London clubs than Oxford

I think all the real big boys in the Prem still have huge squad depth. So had we drawn an Arsenal or Man U, you'd still see some proper international stars in the starting line up. Which I think would have been quite nice. I did also fancy a visit to Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal mainly for selfish reasons. Equally maybe one of the southern lower reaches Prem sides - Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, West Ham at home I would have classed as a bit more 'inspiring'. A good chance of winning, and still a bit of a crowd

Would probably have also preferred another Div 2 side at home so we could play the academy boys again and still likely go to the next stage.

But Wolves is ok.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2019 12:54

genome It's the kind of tie that's really shit, unless you win it

I don’t disagree that it’s not necessarily the hardest draw, but it’s still shit - I don’t want to go to Wolverhampton.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 29 Aug 2019 13:12

Good tie for me, nice and local - went to school in Wolves, loads of Wolves supporting mates.

On the football side of it, Wolves mates already calling this the battle of the B teams - they've got far bigger fish to fry and are having far more fun being in a European competition for the first time in decades. I reckon we've a good chance of an "upset" here, depending on how strong Gomes wants to go against what certainly won't be Wolves first team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2019 13:26

It's an opportunity for the 'You've let us down again' banner photo to get another outing.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Aug 2019 14:03

CountryRoyal

I don’t disagree that it’s not necessarily the hardest draw, but it’s still shit - I don’t want to go to Wolverhampton.

I went there once. Stayed inside the Travelodge

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Aug 2019 14:11

genome
CountryRoyal

Are you ok? If you need to talk about it I'm here for you.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Aug 2019 14:25

CountryRoyal
genome
CountryRoyal

Are you ok? If you need to talk about it I'm here for you.

I will never talk about it.

You weren't there, man!

krapmle

by krapmle » 29 Aug 2019 19:11

Dick Habbin's hairdo love the sig pic Norfolk Road. A proper footy ground.

Yep, great memories. Saw some great matches. Steve Death and Robin Friday I will never forget. One a fantastic goalkeeper and the other a great entertainer on many levels.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Aug 2019 21:23

krapmle
Dick Habbin's hairdo love the sig pic Norfolk Road. A proper footy ground.

Yep, great memories. Saw some great matches. Steve Death and Robin Friday I will never forget. One a fantastic goalkeeper and the other a great entertainer on many levels.

Remember us beating Wolves in the league cup at Elm Park, 1978 I think, first division vs fourth division too. Death would have been in goal no doubt.