GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 20:09

Elm Park Kid I'm assuming that no one was calling for Gomes to be sacked after we beat Huddersfield 2-0 away? So we're talking about a change of mind after 6 matches . . . . 6 matches . . . which include two away games against teams currently in the top six (one of which we drew).

Look - I thought that hiring the guy was a big mistake in the first place. And if this is just biting the bullet and correcting that mistake then fair enough. But I just completely reject that idea that you can judge any manager that is trying to get a load of new players working together on the basis of two months.

I mean - results in six games can be dependent on luck as much as anything. What if we'd got a lucky penalty or red card in a couple of the games and won? Would you then all be calling for him to stay? There's a reason why managers should be judged over seasons and not matches.

I’ve been saying this for God knows how many pages. It will fail on deaf ears.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:12

Zip
Elm Park Kid I'm assuming that no one was calling for Gomes to be sacked after we beat Huddersfield 2-0 away? So we're talking about a change of mind after 6 matches . . . . 6 matches . . . which include two away games against teams currently in the top six (one of which we drew).

Look - I thought that hiring the guy was a big mistake in the first place. And if this is just biting the bullet and correcting that mistake then fair enough. But I just completely reject that idea that you can judge any manager that is trying to get a load of new players working together on the basis of two months.

I mean - results in six games can be dependent on luck as much as anything. What if we'd got a lucky penalty or red card in a couple of the games and won? Would you then all be calling for him to stay? There's a reason why managers should be judged over seasons and not matches.

I’ve been saying this for God knows how many pages. It will fail on blind eyes.

Corrected for you

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 07 Oct 2019 20:12

You don't honestly think the owners are that short-sighted, are you? They and Howe would have looked at his whole tenure, and examined the progress made in that time. The fact he was given millions to spend in the summer and has only beaten two poor sides will also be taken into account.

I'm not saying it's the right decision, but I said a couple of weeks ago, I could see the owners getting twitchy pretty quickly.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 Oct 2019 20:13

PistolPete It's nearly always a case of 'the king is dead, long live the king' with managers, but I do think I'd struggle to get back behind a Reading team for a while if they sacked Gomes

One of the issues I have is that he hasn't found the formula to win games 1-0. He's never won a game 1-0 with us.
Teams that win promotion from Champ usually have quite a few 1-0 wins, esp away from home. I've seen teams with 10, 12, or 14 of them in a season. Some ugly 1-0's would help his cause.
Right now it feels we need to play pretty darn well to get a win. Our 3 wins this season have all been by 2 or 3 goals.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:15

genome You don't honestly think the owners are that short-sighted, are you? They and Howe would have looked at his whole tenure, and examined the progress made in that time. The fact he was given millions to spend in the summer and has only beaten two poor sides will also be taken into account.

I'm not saying it's the right decision, but I said a couple of weeks ago, I could see the owners getting twitchy pretty quickly.

The only way this will be the right move, if the rumours are to be believed. Is who is brought in to replace him. If it’s another nomark manger with zero championship experience then it’s the wrong decision. If we bring in an experienced manger with knowledge of the league then it will most probably be the right move.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 20:20

WoodleyRoyal
genome You don't honestly think the owners are that short-sighted, are you? They and Howe would have looked at his whole tenure, and examined the progress made in that time. The fact he was given millions to spend in the summer and has only beaten two poor sides will also be taken into account.

The only way this will be the right move, if the rumours are to be believed. Is who is brought in to replace him. If it’s another nomark manger with zero championship experience then it’s the wrong decision. If we bring in an experienced manger with knowledge of the league then it will most probably be the right move.

100% agree. I think that’s a total given. If we replace with another ‘coach’ with limited experience it’s a total waste of time

Again like to point out he has 25 wins in his last 105 games as a manager. Let’s not suggest he is being judged on 6 games by people in here. He is lucky to be in a job at all with his record

If he had a wealth of experience to fall back on I’d be up for keeping him around to use that experience. As it is he is flailing in the dark

EverHopeful

by EverHopeful » 07 Oct 2019 20:22

this is ludicrous if true.............short sighted and beyond any modicum of sense. How the hell did we stay up last year - because he pulled the whole club together and even galvanised the fans for once. You do not sign that many players in the last week of the transfer window, have international breaks and expect to have a fully flowing football team. Yes a few are under par, particularly Puscas but at least he is missing chances. You have to get there to miss them. He will be quality given time.

Dont do it.........

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 20:23

Neil Warnock anyone?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 20:23

Hound
WoodleyRoyal

100% agree. I think that’s a total given. If we replace with another ‘coach’ with limited experience it’s a total waste of time

Again like to point out he has 25 wins in his last 105 games as a manager. Let’s not suggest he is being judged on 6 games by people in here

If he had a wealth of experience to fall back on I’d be up for keeping him around to use that experience. As it is he is flailing in the dark

Im not interested to be fair in his past. Different country, different culture, different style. I’m interested in his career here. So far he hasn’t done enough. Simple as. Managers need time but as long as you can see some sort of progression. Right now, we’re not

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Oct 2019 20:32

So he is set for crunch talks according to some websites. Is that the same as "a vote of confidence from the board"?
What has upset me about him tonight is his reply that he isn't worried about losing his job. I find that incredible. Of all the answers he could have given, that's the one that makes me think he has ceased caring. I hope he hasn't.....
I know he never seems to stay in jobs very long but his comment on Talksport a while back that he would leave straight away if a bigger club came in for him does make me wonder about his commitment. Could he be a Mourinho wannabe?
Just putting it out there.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:37

Managers available with level of experience needed. Not saying we should go for these. But all of the below are without a job at the moment.

Hughes
Hughton
Parky
Allardyce
Karanka
McCarthy
Moyes
O'Neill
Pardew
Pearson
Pulis
Rowett

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 20:40

Hound
WoodleyRoyal

Again like to point out he has 25 wins in his last 105 games as a manager. Let’s not suggest he is being judged on 6 games by people in here. He is lucky to be in a job at all with his record

His record prior to us is irrelevant. The club would have known his win record prior to signing him up.
He is very much being judged on his last six games. To say otherwise is a nonsense. No one was suggesting he be sacked six games ago were they?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Oct 2019 20:43

WoodleyRoyal

That is so true, it has to be an experienced manager at this level.....no more Stam's, Clement's, Gomes's or managers with little experience or bugger all of a track record for achieving anything. It got me thinking I would love to give Ainsworth a go, but not now. It has to be a Houghton or Hughes type.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 20:44

No because we hadn’t just got 1 point from our last 6 games then. We have now

Of course his prior record is relevant. It’s his managerial cv. And in it is nothing to suggest he could turn us around or he has any likelihood of hanging around one way or another. Or he has the ability to win football matches

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 20:46

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip
So was he up to the job last season? Surely he would have been found out during a really tough relegation battle that started as soon as he landed the job if he wasn’t up to it.

With 5 excellent loanees and a really big feel good factor, barely.

Totally different conditions zip. Going in halfway through lifting the mood and just having to raise things a bit, to going in with a proper plan, having serious input on signings. Having to lift the players from your own issues.

Never stayed anywhere long. Never been particularly successful anyway. Never built a successful team.

Oh so only yesterday you admitted he did a good job but now you say he was barely up to it. So it’s Gomes fault when it goes tits up and he gets no credit when the season turns around under his stewardship.

That's not what I've said zip. Take a break and lose some of the outraged indignation, it'll help.

He did a good job. He kept us up, barely. These things are not mutually exclusive. He is no longer doing a good job.

Clement kept us up too btw. You have no problem with the difference between him doing a good job to keep us up and not doing a good job the next season, getting slated and sacked, after fewer games in charge too.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 20:46

Hound No because we hadn’t just got 1 point from our last 6 games then. We have now

Of course his prior record is relevant. It’s his managerial cv. And in it is nothing to suggest he could turn us around or he has any likelihood of hanging around one way or another. Or he has the ability to win football matches

So he is being judged on his last six games then because prior to that he successfully kept us up and prior to that his record was deemed good enough for us to appoint him.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WoodleyRoyal » 07 Oct 2019 20:49

WoodleyRoyal Managers available with level of experience needed. Not saying we should go for these. But all of the below are without a job at the moment.

Hughes
Hughton
Parky
Allardyce
Karanka
McCarthy
Moyes
O'Neill
Pardew
Pearson
Pulis
Rowett

Having had a think I would be be happy with Hughes Hughton McCarthy and pardew out of this lot

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Oct 2019 20:49

Zip
Hound No because we hadn’t just got 1 point from our last 6 games then. We have now

So he is being judged on his last six games then because prior to that he successfully kept us up and prior to that his record was deemed good enough for us to appoint him.

You are able to judge him on our last 6 AND his previous record. That’s what I’m doing

Also have to bear in mind the circumstances of his appointment. We knew his record was crap then. No one welcomed it. It smacked of panic after that other chap turned us down, and we were looking pitiful under Marshall

It was undoubtedly a big gamble and a rushed one at that. It worked then, it isn’t now
Last edited by Hound on 07 Oct 2019 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 07 Oct 2019 20:49

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal With 5 excellent loanees and a really big feel good factor, barely.

Totally different conditions zip. Going in halfway through lifting the mood and just having to raise things a bit, to going in with a proper plan, having serious input on signings. Having to lift the players from your own issues.

Never stayed anywhere long. Never been particularly successful anyway. Never built a successful team.

Oh so only yesterday you admitted he did a good job but now you say he was barely up to it. So it’s Gomes fault when it goes tits up and he gets no credit when the season turns around under his stewardship.

That's not what I've said zip. Take a break and lose some of the outraged indignation, it'll help.

He did a good job. He kept us up, barely. These things are not mutually exclusive. He is no longer doing a good job.

Clement kept us up too btw. You have no problem with the difference between him doing a good job to keep us up and not doing a good job the next season, getting slated and sacked, after fewer games in charge too.

Ian why not take a break too hun. You don’t seem to realise your posts are just as aggressive. Clement was given until December by which time a decision had to be made with the January window just around the corner. The same applies with Gomes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2019 20:51

Zip
NewCorkSeth I admit I am unhappy with our tactics in recent months but as soon as I saw on twitter that he is about to be sacked I found out I want him to stay. Just for a bit longer. I believe in him. For some reason.

He’s smart enough to see why we are failing. I believe the players are right behind him.

Any justification for this? Or just because you like him?

806 posts