GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2019 12:23

Christ, if the conclusion is that our squad is worse now than at the end of last season despite making 9 signings, choosing to let three or four players go and freezing out another three, that's pretty much a sackable offence on it's own.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Oct 2019 13:05

Top Flight We miss Barrow's pace and speed on the counter attack. He is also a winger that can beat full backs and provide service to the front strikers. So the loss of Barrow is one reason for our struggles this season. But this was probably outside of Gomes control and probably Gomes would have him in the side if he could.
Not disagreeing, but iike some other players, Barrow's reputation is starting to take off in his absence. He was one of our more criticized players when he was here? He was lazy. Poor attitude. He played no defense. He had 1 good game in 6, etc? I liked Barrow myself, but many didn't.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Oct 2019 13:42

Westwood52 I really really would like to see Hughton appointed. But he will cost !

Yep, he will command a pretty decent salary. On paper it's a good shout, but obv there's difference between wanting and actually getting him. The 'fit' has to be right on both sides and there needs to be the backing. Did a great job at Brighton but they were pretty well funded. Also did well at Newcastle. We'll see how it plays out.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 08 Oct 2019 14:24

Snowflake Royal Christ, if the conclusion is that our squad is worse now than at the end of last season despite making 9 signings, choosing to let three or four players go and freezing out another three, that's pretty much a sackable offence on it's own.

Agreed. Much as I like him for his commitment with these players we shouldn't be losing all the time. For me its down to tactics. We have two wing backs who aren't really wing backs, we have 3 really good centre halves who don't seem at all comfortable with the system, we play two creative midfielders which leaves a hole in the middle when we defend and he keeps changing the front two. Revert back to 424, put Moore into a defensive midfield role and keep Joao and Puscas up front until they click

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 14:25

so why the quiet today? Gomes told to carry on as normal, or given his cards and its with the lawyers to sort out the contracts?

I'm guessing the latter

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 14:26

Hound so why the quiet today? Gomes told to carry on as normal, or given his cards and its with the lawyers to sort out the contracts?

I'm guessing the latter

Would have thought it might be a case of the board getting in a new man at the same time so we have some good news to directly follow the bad.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Oct 2019 14:27

paddy20
Snowflake Royal Christ, if the conclusion is that our squad is worse now than at the end of last season despite making 9 signings, choosing to let three or four players go and freezing out another three, that's pretty much a sackable offence on it's own.

Agreed. Much as I like him for his commitment with these players we shouldn't be losing all the time. For me its down to tactics. We have two wing backs who aren't really wing backs, we have 3 really good centre halves who don't seem at all comfortable with the system, we play two creative midfielders which leaves a hole in the middle when we defend and he keeps changing the front two. Revert back to 424, put Moore into a defensive midfield role and keep Joao and Puscas up front until they click

Agreed. Back to basics.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 08 Oct 2019 14:46

paddy20 We have two wing backs who aren't really wing backs, we have 3 really good centre halves who don't seem at all comfortable with the system, we play two creative midfielders which leaves a hole in the middle when we defend and he keeps changing the front two. Revert back to 424, put Moore into a defensive midfield role and keep Joao and Puscas up front until they click

Good points paddy, but I'm not too sure about Moore in midfield really. Not long term, at this stage of his career.

Re. the wing backs who aren't wing backs, I recall some being happy when they were moved there. In a straight back 4 it was said that Yiadom could be a defensive liability, and that Richards most certainly was.

And so moving them to wing back would free them up and allow them to do what they are better at. Yet now they aren't wing backs either, Yiadom can't cross, and he takes too many touches, etc.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 08 Oct 2019 15:08

Long board meeting this :roll:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Oct 2019 16:13

@gmccleary12 24m
Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see - Billy Davies

:?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Oct 2019 16:18

Think he's just trolling now.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 16:38

Whilst getting paid 20k a week to sit on his arse. That's the life.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Oct 2019 16:46

When he leaves he's going to tweet

@gmccleary 24m
I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2019 16:55

Denver Royal
paddy20 We have two wing backs who aren't really wing backs, we have 3 really good centre halves who don't seem at all comfortable with the system, we play two creative midfielders which leaves a hole in the middle when we defend and he keeps changing the front two. Revert back to 424, put Moore into a defensive midfield role and keep Joao and Puscas up front until they click

Good points paddy, but I'm not too sure about Moore in midfield really. Not long term, at this stage of his career.

Re. the wing backs who aren't wing backs, I recall some being happy when they were moved there. In a straight back 4 it was said that Yiadom could be a defensive liability, and that Richards most certainly was.

And so moving them to wing back would free them up and allow them to do what they are better at. Yet now they aren't wing backs either, Yiadom can't cross, and he takes too many touches, etc.

I don't think they're not wing backs. Yiadom is certainly very attacking.

It's their starting position and where they spend most of the time that's the problem.

Gomes essentially positions his wing / full backs as out and out wingers, but still expects them to be able to defend. Ain't gonna happen.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 17:10

Telegraph reporting sacking announced tomorrow.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2019 17:16

Old Man Andrews Telegraph reporting sacking announced tomorrow.

Someone send zip some ramipril, his blood pressure is going to go supernova.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 17:18

Sacking being reported by other reliable sources now.

It's happening.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 17:18

Yep sounds like it’s done. A few reports on it now

Painful as a good guy and we all wanted it to work. But right decision

And it’s almost worth it for mafff’s breakdown on twitter.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Oct 2019 17:28

Hound Yep sounds like it’s done. A few reports on it now

Must have already had the "this isn't good enough, sort it out" chat then.

I feel sorry for him, he's a nice guy. He's just not a very good manager. I don't think he's even a good coach to fall back on that.

Hughton and right decision.
Hughes, Parky, Ainsworth etc ok.

Some no mark with no history in England, or a history of failure / mediocrity and you've got to ask yourself what's the point.

Allardyce or Redknapp - oxf*rd right off.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Oct 2019 17:31

Hound Yep sounds like it’s done. A few reports on it now

Will be even funnier if the next guy in says "right, all players to get their chance to impress, and brings McCleary, Baldock and Gunter back into 1st team training"

Vat of popcorn at the ready.

806 posts