Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Manager

by loyalroyal4life » 08 Oct 2019 21:59

Hughton, failing that Rowett or Pearson

Whoever it is needs to be given TIME regardless of how the rest of the season goes

Lucky fella

by Lucky fella » 08 Oct 2019 22:36

Mark Hughes , has not improved any club that he has been with , and it would be the same at Reading . A big name as a player , but a total disaster as a manager , and Bowen may be emphasising the point already .

Clockwatcher

by Clockwatcher » 08 Oct 2019 23:07

There seems to be a number of things that are going for Mark Hughes.........
Kia Jur.........? appears to have been his agent.......
Mark Bowen has been assistant to him at a couple of his previous clubs......(I think?)
Chris Gunter is available to be the defensive coach.....(a bit left field that one...)
If that is what the owners are going for I hope that they know what they are doing. We need some stability in the management, not hiring and firing!!!!!!!!

Danny Nedelko

by Danny Nedelko » 08 Oct 2019 23:42

Will be hard to fully get behind a grumpy, uninspiring welsh oxf*rd of a manager who will never be as good a manager as he was a player.
But we can try.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 08 Oct 2019 23:50

It will come down to whichever agent treats Howe to the best lunch.

We won't be successful again until we have a proper structure and recruitment strategy.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Oct 2019 00:08

Personally I don`t reckon it`s cut and dried that Mark Hughes will be the next one through the revolving doors. the owners and Nigel Howe will take a long hard look at his CV, it`s not hugely impressive with a career win rate of 37.4%
But then again neither was Jose`s. just give us some stability for Christ sakes.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Oct 2019 00:09

Danny Nedelko Will be hard to fully get behind a grumpy, uninspiring welsh oxf*rd of a manager who will never be as good a manager as he was a player.
But we can try.

Might be able to teach Puscas how to keep a shot under the bar.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Oct 2019 00:13

Danny Gabbidon seems to think Hughes is our next manager...

rfc58

by rfc58 » 09 Oct 2019 07:14

Bristol Paul
WoodleyRoyal Hughes would be a very sensible option and will do very well here, I’m sure if it. I personally would have him over Hughton. I just can’t understand people horror that it will be Hughes. He’s a decent manager. Plenty of experience and hopefully will give the players a kick up the back side they need. Any fan looking at our position currently is deluded to think we could get a better manager in. Very happy if true.

Mark Hughes has a terrible record at a number of clubs, why on earth do you think it will be any different at Reading?!

Totally agree, he’s failed so many times... he’s shit.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Oct 2019 07:27

In for Hughes.

Tim Dellor will be bricking it. :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 07:33

Clockwatcher There seems to be a number of things that are going for Mark Hughes.........
Kia Jur.........? appears to have been his agent.......
Mark Bowen has been assistant to him at a couple of his previous clubs......(I think?)
Chris Gunter is available to be the defensive coach.....(a bit left field that one...)
If that is what the owners are going for I hope that they know what they are doing. We need some stability in the management, not hiring and firing!!!!!!!!

Gunter teaching people how to back off and not make challenges? Oh good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 07:35

rfc58
Bristol Paul
WoodleyRoyal Hughes would be a very sensible option and will do very well here, I’m sure if it. I personally would have him over Hughton. I just can’t understand people horror that it will be Hughes. He’s a decent manager. Plenty of experience and hopefully will give the players a kick up the back side they need. Any fan looking at our position currently is deluded to think we could get a better manager in. Very happy if true.

Mark Hughes has a terrible record at a number of clubs, why on earth do you think it will be any different at Reading?!

Totally agree, he’s failed so many times... he’s shit.

Where has he failed?

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 09 Oct 2019 07:35

I think, personally, Hughton would probably chomp at the bit to come here. He would probably like to prove to Brighton that they were wrong sacking him.

Either way, the next manager needs to be given time. Whoever they decide to choose can't be fired in 9 months time. I don't think it'd be a good idea to go for someone like Pardew because it's a step backwards. He might be able to do wonders with this team, but why would we want to go backwards?

I hope that it's not someone like Allardyce or Hughes, that would be unbearable to watch.

Watching the guys on iFollow, teams have sussed us out. If they put pressure on our back 4 / 5, then we lump it forward and somehow, goodness knows how, Meite or Puscas can't hold it up. If teams take Ejaria and Swift out of the game, then we are toothless. I know someone else wrote this is another post somewhere else.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Oct 2019 08:00

windermereROYAL Personally I don`t reckon it`s cut and dried that Mark Hughes will be the next one through the revolving doors. the owners and Nigel Howe will take a long hard look at his CV, it`s not hugely impressive with a career win rate of 37.4%
But then again neither was Jose`s. just give us some stability for Christ sakes.

37.4% is a great record, especially when your entire career has been Wales or the top flight. Translates to 63 points a season in this division when you include 25% draws. That's comfortable top-half form. Difference is, in this division there are no Champions League teams hoovering up most of the wins for themselves.

Southampton debacle to one side, Hughes is probably out of our reach imo.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 Oct 2019 08:13

Team win rates don't mean a lot in isolation - you need to look at the context; how did managers do with the same team before and after his tenure - what was he expected to achieve with that team. As an extreme example, if you take a top 4 team, a win % below 50% is going to get you the sack ... if your aim is not to get relegated then 37% is a good ratio. My view of Hughes is that the teams he has managed most recently he has taken backwards rather than improved them - Southampton would have gone down last season if they'd not sacked him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 08:15

SCIAG
windermereROYAL Personally I don`t reckon it`s cut and dried that Mark Hughes will be the next one through the revolving doors. the owners and Nigel Howe will take a long hard look at his CV, it`s not hugely impressive with a career win rate of 37.4%

37.4% is a great record, especially when your entire career has been Wales or the top flight. Translates to 63 points a season in this division when you include 25% draws. That's comfortable top-half form. Difference is, in this division there are no Champions League teams hoovering up most of the wins for themselves.

I'm not too interested in the beginning of Hughes' career, it's really too long ago to be very relevant at this stage.

My concern with Hughes is that he took over struggling QPR and Saints sides, kept them up, but couldn't take them out of trouble the next season.

That's basically a rinse and repeat of where we've been for the last few seasons. Now QPR were a basket case and the financial and quality gulf in the PL is much larger, but equally the fact that the Championship is much more competitive and he has no experience of it so could underestimate it is a worry.

On the plus side, he took an ok Stoke side from 13th and 14th before him to 9th, 9th and 9th so he clearly has quality still, combined with his earlier career success with Blackburn and City.

I'm not saying he won't be good. And I'm not saying I don't want him, but the fact he's only managed in the PL and might come to perennial Championship strugglers, has failed to turn around his last two relegation battlers in anything other than the immediate term and has no experience in this division certainly makes me hesitant to welcome with open arms.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Oct 2019 08:32

No-one on that list stands out really apart from Hughton who won't come, and probably Rowett but he started brightly and seemed to have slipped in his ability.

Won't be popular but I'd love to see Allardyce or the other random Portuguese chappie the owners were thinking of.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 08:34

2 world wars, 1 world cup No-one on that list stands out really apart from Hughton who won't come, and probably Rowett but he started brightly and seemed to have slipped in his ability.

Won't be popular but I'd love to see Allardyce or the other random Portuguese chappie the owners were thinking of.

Allardyce is one way of getting rid of me.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 09 Oct 2019 08:48

Very disappointed by the supposed sacking of Jose Gomes, but that’s for another thread...

It’s football, we move on.

Want - Jokanovic (been there done it with Fulham, good football)
Want - Hughton (same as above with Brighton and Newcastle, very well respected but imagine unlikely after he ‘turned down’ Stoke and Hudd as wants Prem football)

Wouldn’t mind - Ainsworth (cracking start to season with WW, could deserve a chance, know Howe likes him)
Wouldn’t mind - Karanka (Done it with Boro, good football)

Don’t want - Hughes (Just can’t have him, easy lazy appointment) (ignore my username...)

Really don’t want - Parky/ Murty (both legends, but can’t stand sentimental appointments and don’t think it’s needed after the rapour Gomes’ team has built with the fans)

Really really don’t want - One of Kia’s unkowns who has never managed in England (just please no)
Last edited by hughsies no.1 on 09 Oct 2019 09:12, edited 2 times in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Oct 2019 08:53

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG

I'm not too interested in the beginning of Hughes' career, it's really too long ago to be very relevant at this stage.

My concern with Hughes is that he took over struggling QPR and Saints sides, kept them up, but couldn't take them out of trouble the next season.

That's basically a rinse and repeat of where we've been for the last few seasons. Now QPR were a basket case and the financial and quality gulf in the PL is much larger, but equally the fact that the Championship is much more competitive and he has no experience of it so could underestimate it is a worry.

On the plus side, he took an ok Stoke side from 13th and 14th before him to 9th, 9th and 9th so he clearly has quality still, combined with his earlier career success with Blackburn and City.

I'm not saying he won't be good. And I'm not saying I don't want him, but the fact he's only managed in the PL and might come to perennial Championship strugglers, has failed to turn around his last two relegation battlers in anything other than the immediate term and has no experience in this division certainly makes me hesitant to welcome with open arms.

Stoke fans I am related to thought Hughes was great but stayed too long and would have best served leaving after his 4th season when they slipped from 9th to 13th - QPR was before the Stoke job (in 2012) and he was only there because he chose to leave Fulham after taking them to 8th. QPR were a bit of a basket case but he did keep them up.

The only real blot, for me Clive, is Soton and that is why he may well be available to us. He is still a PL calibre manager but due to the way that ended he will probably need to re-prove himself to get back in there either with us or because he has done well. It could be a very good move but completely understand reservations especially given the lack of Championship experience.

606 posts