Total votes: 202
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Manager

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 12:12

Snowflake Royal
andrew1957
genome This whole "knows about Championship football" thing is nonsense

Stam had absolutely no experience of Championship football and got us to a playoff final, because he played the right system to win matches and caught a lot of teams by surprise that season. It just so happens that he didn't adapt properly in his second season.

It doesn't matter where a manager's from, if they come in with the right ideas then they are perfectly valid appointments. There's no special Championship tactic that only experienced managers know

Bluntly that is rubbish. Some managers like Warnock and Hughton to name two have showed that they know how to build a team to compete at this level and have been consistently successful. On a balance of probability you are far more likely to achieve success with such a manager than you are with someone coming in from overseas with little knowledge of the division. It is not just about tactics but also about adapting to the grind of groups of matches together in short time periods and then long international gaps and recovering quickly from losses.

Genome, remind me how Stam went in the end?

One good season ending in ultimate failure and then falling apart isn't really desireable.

He failed because he wasn't flexible enough. Not because he "didn't know the league".

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 12:13

Karanka would be a good shout actually

I'm assuming Hughton wouldn't come, but Hughes and Karanka would be my next two choices out of the possibles

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Oct 2019 12:15

Stranded Given our last 3 appointments have been men with little to no experience of managing at our level (or at all) - I think we can safely assume they are going to go with someone with extensive experience of the English game at this level or above.

We won't be taking a "gamble" on someone like Ainsworth this time.

Could just as easily argue that we haven't appointed an experienced manager for a long time so won't be doing it now.

After all, an experienced manager who is currently unemployed is probably either going to be too good for us (Hughes, Hughton, Allegri), or will have a record of failure at this level (everyone else).

Karanka and Rowett probably the best realistic shouts but good argument for just taking another punt. Could be another Stam.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Oct 2019 12:23

genome He failed because he wasn't flexible enough. Not because he "didn't know the league".

Lack of experience and tactical nouse. Rather than play a fixed formation. A good manager uses the players available in a system they are comfortable with. Then build forward from there. Stam has was happy for Stacey and Cooper to leave. Both would have served us well.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 12:24

No to Rowett. This club needs stability, and history shows that when he does well he jumps at the first chance when he gets a marginally better offer.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Oct 2019 12:25

SCIAG
Stranded Given our last 3 appointments have been men with little to no experience of managing at our level (or at all) - I think we can safely assume they are going to go with someone with extensive experience of the English game at this level or above.

Could just as easily argue that we haven't appointed an experienced manager for a long time so won't be doing it now.

After all, an experienced manager who is currently unemployed is probably either going to be too good for us (Hughes, Hughton, Allegri), or will have a record of failure at this level (everyone else).

Karanka and Rowett probably the best realistic shouts but good argument for just taking another punt. Could be another Stam.

Guess it all depends on how quickly you want to move mid-season. It seems the club want the new man in place before they make any announcement - that suggests it will most likely be a realistic shout or a push for a "bigger" name rather than someone leftfield or in a job at a lower league club.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 12:25

Lower West
genome He failed because he wasn't flexible enough. Not because he "didn't know the league".

Lack of experience and tactical nouse. Rather than play a fixed formation. A good manager uses the players available in a system they are comfortable with. Then build forward from there. Stam has was happy for Stacey and Cooper to leave. Both would have served us well.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 12:30

Lower West

Lack of experience as a manager =/= lack of experience in a specific league.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 12:34

SCIAG

We don't want another shit manager.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Oct 2019 13:12

Would be happy with most of the names mentioned. Hughton or Hughes would be great. Just please don’t go anywhere near Miguel Cardoso - just a Gomes mk2.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 09 Oct 2019 13:23

It’s becoming boring supporting this club isn’t it - watching the same old mistakes being made, same poor recruitment every summer, same churn of staff

The fact we’re sacking yet another manager is proof that we’re making the wrong decisions in the first place

The personality has to fit. I’d say probably Hughton would be the best fit

What has to change first & foremost is the owners expectations. You can’t expect promotion within 1 season after 5 seasons of turmoil. It’s at least a 3 year project (sounding like Rodgers here!). Yes Gomes looks out of his depth but set some blooming achievable targets for Pete’s sake

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Oct 2019 13:26

Notts Royal It’s becoming boring supporting this club isn’t it - watching the same old mistakes being made, same poor recruitment every summer, same churn of staff

The fact we’re sacking yet another manager is proof that we’re making the wrong decisions in the first place

The personality has to fit. I’d say probably Hughton would be the best fit

What has to change first & foremost is the owners expectations. You can’t expect promotion within 1 season after 5 seasons of turmoil. It’s at least a 3 year project (sounding like Rodgers here!). Yes Gomes looks out of his depth but set some blooming achievable targets for Pete’s sake

Presumably there are minimum expectations and those are don't be in a relegation fight in October /November / December after being appointed in December - March.

Sadly most of our managers have failed at that basic second hurdle.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Oct 2019 13:30

The Chronicle saying that is is reported that talks are underway with Mr Hughes

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... g-reports/

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 09 Oct 2019 13:31

Hughes is UTTERDOGSHIT

What a shambles

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 13:34

Im genuinely confused why an experienced manager with a half decent record over a long period of time seems to be stirring up such poor feeling

I know he is a bit of a cock. Don't think anyone can deny that. But otherwise not really sure why the hatred

tbf likewise why quite so much fawning from some about a dodgy manager who was basically placed here out of panic and a whim of an agent. I know he is a handsome chap with a lovely smile and nice way with words, but other than that not a huge amount going for him

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Oct 2019 13:37

Me too. Baffling

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Oct 2019 13:39

Hound Im genuinely confused why an experienced manager with a half decent record over a long period of time seems to be stirring up such poor feeling

I know he is a bit of a cock. Don't think anyone can deny that. But otherwise not really sure why the hatred

He's a dick, as you say. Other than that, I agree with you. It seems people want an experienced manager with no blemish on their CV. We're not a club who can get that. We either give a promising younger manager a chance, as Ipswich did with Paul Hurst, or accept one with a more mixed record.

In terms of personality, I'd see Hughton as a better fit and overall I'd say his record is better. But I doubt we'd convince him to come here, so Hughes looks like a rational choice.

And, as I've alluded to elsewhere, the players probably deserve a manager who can be a bit of a dick at times. They need a kick up the bum.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Oct 2019 13:41

yes, I've not really considered Hughton as I think there is little chance of him coming. I'd certainly prefer him, but again comes with some caveats. The main one being is that he is again a cracking chap. Always liked him. I'm not sure that's what we need. Also just that bit older at 60. Would hope Hughes still has plenty of desire and ambition at 55

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 09 Oct 2019 13:45

Cut it out guys, far too sensible for HNA?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Oct 2019 13:51

I notice that in addition to Mark Bowen Mr Hughes’ seems also to have worked a lot with former Reading assistant and caretaker manager Eddie Niedzwiecki.

Wondering if Eddie may also be part of any managerial change.

606 posts