BFTG Preston (H)

143 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Preston (H)

by Zip » 20 Oct 2019 08:17

St Pauli Thought about going to the game but decided against it, instead popped to Fun and Frolic to pick up my annual fireworks supplies. Rounded it off with a pint in the Retreat, so all round pretty good day.

Thanks for your support yesterday m8.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Oct 2019 09:59

marlowuk Not great - but better! A win, three points and a clean sheet - against a top six side. Had they beaten us and had West Brom drawn, they would be top of the league now. Their main forum - https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/match-day-reading-v-pne-19-10-19-ko-15-00-championship.3429121/ - includes some compliments about us, especially Eljaria, and also criticisms of their own team feigning injuries too often!

And to be fair, a few of them were moaning about the shithousing well before we scored.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Oct 2019 10:43

Couple of the usual suspects on Twitter unhappy when we scored :roll:

As usual, the 5 at the back stifled creativity. But the three centre halves were immense so credit to Bowen there. Just wouldn’t be my personal preference going forward

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 20 Oct 2019 11:08

Where do I start. Tactics..

Bowen clearly wants us to be more direct. We went long whenever there was an opportunity to go for it. I have no issue with this. We are still very lightweight in the centre and it was evident Preston knew this. We definitely need to play Rino in there when he's healthy again and I think he would have played at the expense of Swift yesterday. The formation was the correct one. I thought the back 3 were very good today. Especially Morrison. I've said this before about Obita but again I thought his inclusion was a publicity stunt. He was utterly shite and there was no reason to drop Richards. Preston had quickly picked up Obita was the weak link and were attacking a lot down his side as well as through the middle.

The front 2 of Puscas and Meite do not work. Meite is all brawn over brain. He doesn't know when to drop deep to offer an outlet for the ball when we counter. He just charges at Defenders, loses the ball and then runs again to win it back. He and Puscas just looked like 2 players competing against each other. There was absolutely zero cohesion. When Baldock and Loader came on they were clearly told to take turns in occupying the pocket between midfield and attack. They looked so much more cohesive as a pair and they also offered another attacking option to the midfield. We looked so much more dangerous with those 2. I would start with Baldock and Puscas next game to see how they get on though.

Right. Preston.

I can't see how they are 3rd. They were blunt up front and just a bit average everywhere. Gallagher looks a tidy player though. I thought their play acting was hilarious and was a little surprised it started from the 1st half.

Ref
Not great. He bottled the Red card for Obita and didn't have much control over the game.

Player ratings.

Rafael 6 Not a lot to do. Very easy saves. It was noticeable he was told to go long today by some of his wayward kicks out lol

Yiadom 6 - Got forward well and there was very little in the way of Preston attacks coming down his side.

Miazga and Moore 7 - Very good and very solid.

Morrison 8 - Imperious. Those 3 at the back all wanted to play for each other. It was brilliant.

Obita 4 - He should not have played and should have had a red card. I was right in front of his lunge. He lost the ball by passing it at the Preston player then went in studs up and rolled his foot over the ball. Stupid. Most of Prestons attacks came down his side. I hope Richards starts the next game. I completely appreciate the sentiment for him and everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I think some of you were watching a different game to me today.

Pele 7 - Took 20mins to get going and had some wayward passed but got better and better. He ended up having a very good game. Lacked defensive support most of the game from Ejaria and Swift but held his own.

Ejaria 8 - Played very well. He actually got stuck in and did the dirty jobs in the 2nd half too. I think he offers so much more than swift and I want to see him start in the hole behind the front 2 in the next game. Was unlucky not to score.

Swift 6 - Some goood passes some bad ones. Didn't track his man a couple of times. He looked a bit lost in the first half. I also got the impression he was frustrated at Meite and Puscas today. A couple of times on the counter he looked up and both players were right up against the last Defenders of Preston. One of Meite or Puscas should have dropped deep to offer an option. Unlucky not to score with his free kick.

Puscas 5 - Should have scored 2. He should have headed the cross he sent over the bar and he was a about half a second too slow to convert the same chance in the 2nd half.

Meite 5 - He works hard but that's it. Offered nothing today. Him and Puscas do not work as a front 2.

Subs
Baldock 7. Has to start. He knew exactly when to drop in the pocket and linked up play well. Preston were quite rattled by him doing this when he came on as they were so used to Meite and Puscas constantly staying up against the last defenders prior to Baldocks arrival.

Loader 6 - Had the same instruction as Baldock but not quite as effective.

Adam 6 - cheeky chip attempt was fun to watch. I never want see him start as he's so slow but he did a job when he came on.

Bowen - I think illness influenced the midfield 3 line up. He needs to start Rino for Swift in the next game. Why the hell he played Obita I don't know. Tactics were very simple but effective. He will undoubtedly be happy with his 3 points and it is clear he has a very different direction to Gomes.

Overall we deserved the win. We had a lot more chances and had there been better finishing and a bit of luck we would have been out of sight by half time.
Last edited by Ranty McRantface on 20 Oct 2019 11:28, edited 4 times in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Oct 2019 11:08

A truly dire game that had 0-0 written all over it until the joy of a 98th minute winner from who is now probably my favourite player and not just for the goal.
I was surprised at the general reaction on BBCRB that this was better than before , much changed etc.
Apart from the occasional quicker clearance this wasn't much better than before but the result was so important.
Good to hear a well balanced interview from Bowen who admitted that it wasn't a great performance but the boys tried hard.

As for ratings, the centre-backs all played well, Yiadom should really practice crossing a ball ,Obita looks a shadow of his old self but produced a great shot and Ejaria is an exciting player-other than those I thought the rest were mediocre.

Preston?
We were there for the taking but they chose not to although Pearson once again looks a cut above and was the tidiest player on the pitch.
I have never seen a game with so many apparent head injuries and I think the ref must have had a circular from the Refs' Association to make him stop the game whenever anybody was tackled strongly just in case there was a head injury.

We are not totally blameless in feigning injury but Preston took it to a much higher level and it is a pathetic aspect of the modern game.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 20 Oct 2019 11:41

Zip
St Pauli Thought about going to the game but decided against it, instead popped to Fun and Frolic to pick up my annual fireworks supplies. Rounded it off with a pint in the Retreat, so all round pretty good day.

You’re very welcome Zip, but it’s nothing I wouldn’t expect any other Reading fan to do.

Always good to be there in heart and spirit if not in body and pocket.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Oct 2019 12:41

So Yiadom puts our best two crosses in yesterday, squandered by Puscas and Ejaria, and people are criticising his crossing.

Then we have absurdity of suggesting playing Obita is a "publicity stunt" rather than a player who has been out for two years needing to play. He can't get back to his best without playing competitive senior games. When he is at his best he is comfortably better than Richards, especially defensively.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Oct 2019 12:56

sandman So Yiadom puts our best two crosses in yesterday, squandered by Puscas and Ejaria, and people are criticising his crossing.

Then we have absurdity of suggesting playing Obita is a "publicity stunt" rather than a player who has been out for two years needing to play. He can't get back to his best without playing competitive senior games. When he is at his best he is comfortably better than Richards, especially defensively.

You generally ease a player in, not chuck them in the deep end straight away, especially when it quite a big game at the time. One of Gomes’ worst calls was bringing Obita in for Blackburn, baffling

Obita isn’t comfortably better than this years’ Richards. Last years, definitely. But Richards is much improved this season

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2019 12:59

sandman So Yiadom puts our best two crosses in yesterday, squandered by Puscas and Ejaria, and people are criticising his crossing.

Puscas didn't squander anything.

Felt91

by Felt91 » 20 Oct 2019 16:45

We Looked like we got in to more crossing positions and got a couple of decent crosses in between defence and GK, this is where puscus wants the ball fed. He came close to two crosses like this also like his 2nd goal vs Cardiff. Just want to get his toe on one of these and we might just start firing , especially if yiadom can keep getting into these crossing positions and get a few in early.
Also helps with the 2 forwards playing centrally to allow puscus to not be crowded out

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Oct 2019 17:14

This was a very good performance. People are saying that PNE weren't very good. My view was that we stopped them being good.

There weren't many negatives. The biggest was that on a few occasions, players weren't moving for throw ins. This was the biggest problem under Gomes. I hope that Bowen will sort this out.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Oct 2019 17:16

Snowflake Royal

Apart from a very good cross from Yiadom where he failed to get in front of the defender.

I'll accept that you were at the other end of the pitch so you may not have got a good look at it.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Oct 2019 17:19

Ranty McRantface Where do I start. Tactics..

Bowen clearly wants us to be more direct. We went long whenever there was an opportunity to go for it. I have no issue with this. We are still very lightweight in the centre and it was evident Preston knew this. We definitely need to play Rino in there when he's healthy again and I think he would have played at the expense of Swift yesterday. The formation was the correct one. I thought the back 3 were very good today. Especially Morrison. I've said this before about Obita but again I thought his inclusion was a publicity stunt. He was utterly shite and there was no reason to drop Richards. Preston had quickly picked up Obita was the weak link and were attacking a lot down his side as well as through the middle.

The front 2 of Puscas and Meite do not work. Meite is all brawn over brain. He doesn't know when to drop deep to offer an outlet for the ball when we counter. He just charges at Defenders, loses the ball and then runs again to win it back. He and Puscas just looked like 2 players competing against each other. There was absolutely zero cohesion. When Baldock and Loader came on they were clearly told to take turns in occupying the pocket between midfield and attack. They looked so much more cohesive as a pair and they also offered another attacking option to the midfield. We looked so much more dangerous with those 2. I would start with Baldock and Puscas next game to see how they get on though.

Right. Preston.

I can't see how they are 3rd. They were blunt up front and just a bit average everywhere. Gallagher looks a tidy player though. I thought their play acting was hilarious and was a little surprised it started from the 1st half.

Ref
Not great. He bottled the Red card for Obita and didn't have much control over the game.

Player ratings.

Rafael 6 Not a lot to do. Very easy saves. It was noticeable he was told to go long today by some of his wayward kicks out lol

Yiadom 6 - Got forward well and there was very little in the way of Preston attacks coming down his side.

Miazga and Moore 7 - Very good and very solid.

Morrison 8 - Imperious. Those 3 at the back all wanted to play for each other. It was brilliant.

Obita 4 - He should not have played and should have had a red card. I was right in front of his lunge. He lost the ball by passing it at the Preston player then went in studs up and rolled his foot over the ball. Stupid. Most of Prestons attacks came down his side. I hope Richards starts the next game. I completely appreciate the sentiment for him and everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I think some of you were watching a different game to me today.

Pele 7 - Took 20mins to get going and had some wayward passed but got better and better. He ended up having a very good game. Lacked defensive support most of the game from Ejaria and Swift but held his own.

Ejaria 8 - Played very well. He actually got stuck in and did the dirty jobs in the 2nd half too. I think he offers so much more than swift and I want to see him start in the hole behind the front 2 in the next game. Was unlucky not to score.

Swift 6 - Some goood passes some bad ones. Didn't track his man a couple of times. He looked a bit lost in the first half. I also got the impression he was frustrated at Meite and Puscas today. A couple of times on the counter he looked up and both players were right up against the last Defenders of Preston. One of Meite or Puscas should have dropped deep to offer an option. Unlucky not to score with his free kick.

Puscas 5 - Should have scored 2. He should have headed the cross he sent over the bar and he was a about half a second too slow to convert the same chance in the 2nd half.

Meite 5 - He works hard but that's it. Offered nothing today. Him and Puscas do not work as a front 2.

Subs
Baldock 7. Has to start. He knew exactly when to drop in the pocket and linked up play well. Preston were quite rattled by him doing this when he came on as they were so used to Meite and Puscas constantly staying up against the last defenders prior to Baldocks arrival.

Loader 6 - Had the same instruction as Baldock but not quite as effective.

Adam 6 - cheeky chip attempt was fun to watch. I never want see him start as he's so slow but he did a job when he came on.

Bowen - I think illness influenced the midfield 3 line up. He needs to start Rino for Swift in the next game. Why the hell he played Obita I don't know. Tactics were very simple but effective. He will undoubtedly be happy with his 3 points and it is clear he has a very different direction to Gomes.

Overall we deserved the win. We had a lot more chances and had there been better finishing and a bit of luck we would have been out of sight by half time.

Lots of stuff in this post I agree with but dropping Swift would be a big call. Agree about Obita. He really struggled to get back on one occasion when Preston were inside our penalty box. He was jogging back.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Oct 2019 17:26

tidus_mi2
Gunny Fishcake
Hound Actually scored an absolute load of late goals recently

Wigan, Ipswich, Norwich, Wolves, Swansea, Fulham(admittedly pointless), today...

I mean’t in the 98th minute !

Well it's not quite the 99th minute like against Wolves but it'll have to do.

Probably one of my greatest moments ever in watching Reading FC :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2019 17:28

sandman
Snowflake Royal

Apart from a very good cross from Yiadom where he failed to get in front of the defender.

I'll accept that you were at the other end of the pitch so you may not have got a good look at it.

That's hardly squandering.

The one I saw, maybe a different one, there was just no way he could reach the ball.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Oct 2019 17:45

St Pauli
Zip

You’re very welcome Zip, but it’s nothing I wouldn’t expect any other Reading fan to do.

Always good to be there in heart and spirit if not in body and pocket.

:lol:

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 20 Oct 2019 18:32

Victor Meldrew A truly dire game that had 0-0 written all over it until the joy of a 98th minute winner from who is now probably my favourite player and not just for the goal.
I was surprised at the general reaction on BBCRB that this was better than before , much changed etc.
Apart from the occasional quicker clearance this wasn't much better than before but the result was so important.
Good to hear a well balanced interview from Bowen who admitted that it wasn't a great performance but the boys tried hard.

As for ratings, the centre-backs all played well, Yiadom should really practice crossing a ball ,Obita looks a shadow of his old self but produced a great shot and Ejaria is an exciting player-other than those I thought the rest were mediocre.

Preston?
We were there for the taking but they chose not to although Pearson once again looks a cut above and was the tidiest player on the pitch.
I have never seen a game with so many apparent head injuries and I think the ref must have had a circular from the Refs' Association to make him stop the game whenever anybody was tackled strongly just in case there was a head injury.

We are not totally blameless in feigning injury but Preston took it to a much higher level and it is a pathetic aspect of the modern game.

Guessing this is a wind up, but it was NOT a truly dire game. Can only assume that the poster does not go to many games.

For anyone that DIDN'T go, this was a decent hard-working performance by Reading. And Preston's continual drive to waste time turned out to bite them in the backside.

Much more vigour and commitment than recent games.

All in all, a deserved 3 points....and NOT A DIRE GAME :?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2019 18:41

The quality was pretty low on both sides bar Ejaria twinkle toesing his way into not actually scoring or assisting, Barney.

Good result. Hard fought. Lots of effort. Better than recently, but in terms of judging the game as a neutral might... it won't be winning any acclaim.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Oct 2019 19:07

It was an ok game, but not esp high quality. Preston did ruin a lot of the 2nd half with their ridiculous antics mind you

It was about 100* more entertaining than Blackburn was though

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Oct 2019 19:10

I thought it was a poor game. Lots of misplaced passes, constant stoppages in the second half, aimless football from both teams.

143 posts