BFTG Preston (H)

143 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Preston (H)

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Oct 2019 19:33

Barney
Victor Meldrew A truly dire game that had 0-0 written all over it until the joy of a 98th minute winner from who is now probably my favourite player and not just for the goal.
I was surprised at the general reaction on BBCRB that this was better than before , much changed etc.
Apart from the occasional quicker clearance this wasn't much better than before but the result was so important.
Good to hear a well balanced interview from Bowen who admitted that it wasn't a great performance but the boys tried hard.

As for ratings, the centre-backs all played well, Yiadom should really practice crossing a ball ,Obita looks a shadow of his old self but produced a great shot and Ejaria is an exciting player-other than those I thought the rest were mediocre.

Preston?
We were there for the taking but they chose not to although Pearson once again looks a cut above and was the tidiest player on the pitch.
I have never seen a game with so many apparent head injuries and I think the ref must have had a circular from the Refs' Association to make him stop the game whenever anybody was tackled strongly just in case there was a head injury.

We are not totally blameless in feigning injury but Preston took it to a much higher level and it is a pathetic aspect of the modern game.

Guessing this is a wind up, but it was NOT a truly dire game. Can only assume that the poster does not go to many games.

For anyone that DIDN'T go, this was a decent hard-working performance by Reading. And Preston's continual drive to waste time turned out to bite them in the backside.

Much more vigour and commitment than recent games.

All in all, a deserved 3 points....and NOT A DIRE GAME :?

See what the next 3 posters wrote.
As the fellow behind me said, this was like watching a Div 1 game, the quality from both sides was so low.
As fans (yes I do go to the odd thousand games) we were relieved and even the manager described the game in poor terms and maybe that sense of relief has clouded your judgement or perhaps you haven't been to many games..

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 20 Oct 2019 20:51

Victor Meldrew
Barney
Victor Meldrew A truly dire game that had 0-0 written all over it until the joy of a 98th minute winner from who is now probably my favourite player and not just for the goal.
I was surprised at the general reaction on BBCRB that this was better than before , much changed etc.
Apart from the occasional quicker clearance this wasn't much better than before but the result was so important.
Good to hear a well balanced interview from Bowen who admitted that it wasn't a great performance but the boys tried hard.

As for ratings, the centre-backs all played well, Yiadom should really practice crossing a ball ,Obita looks a shadow of his old self but produced a great shot and Ejaria is an exciting player-other than those I thought the rest were mediocre.

Preston?
We were there for the taking but they chose not to although Pearson once again looks a cut above and was the tidiest player on the pitch.
I have never seen a game with so many apparent head injuries and I think the ref must have had a circular from the Refs' Association to make him stop the game whenever anybody was tackled strongly just in case there was a head injury.

We are not totally blameless in feigning injury but Preston took it to a much higher level and it is a pathetic aspect of the modern game.

Guessing this is a wind up, but it was NOT a truly dire game. Can only assume that the poster does not go to many games.

For anyone that DIDN'T go, this was a decent hard-working performance by Reading. And Preston's continual drive to waste time turned out to bite them in the backside.

As the fellow behind me said, this was like watching a Div 1 game, the quality from both sides was so low.
As fans (yes I do go to the odd thousand games) we were relieved and even the manager described the game in poor terms and maybe that sense of relief has clouded your judgement or perhaps you haven't been to many games..

Been to more games than you....BOY.

It was much much better on Saturday. End of. Take your Gomes glasses off. Bowen did OK, as did the players.

Enjoy your half term

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 20 Oct 2019 21:07

I know Barney has been a fan since at least 1967 (we hitch hiked to Stockport in 67/68). I also know that Victor has been a fan for a long time. Mind you, I'm not aware that Barney supports another team, like Liverpool, for example.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Oct 2019 21:55

Hampshire Royal I know Barney has been a fan since at least 1967 (we hitch hiked to Stockport in 67/68). I also know that Victor has been a fan for a long time. Mind you, I'm not aware that Barney supports another team, like Liverpool, for example.

Well quite.

This is like an unexpurgated Last of the Summer Wine.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 20 Oct 2019 22:12

leon
Hampshire Royal I know Barney has been a fan since at least 1967 (we hitch hiked to Stockport in 67/68). I also know that Victor has been a fan for a long time. Mind you, I'm not aware that Barney supports another team, like Liverpool, for example.

Well quite.

This is like an unexpurgated Last of the Summer Wine.

:D

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Oct 2019 22:15

A lot of good stuff said and most people on the same page. So will only add:

1) Gomes 7 Impressed by him for the first time today. Really was very good in winning the ball but also in attack. Some great balls I didn't expect from him. Not fair to call him a defensive midfielder when clearly he is quite capable to move up when needed, which I'd not seen before from him.

2) Obita 5-6 I'm still not convinced he should be starting ahead of Richards. I thought Gomes had figured out this was an error but Bowen seems to be at it again. Having said that while most people are praising Miazga for the goal it was Obita's phenomenal long range strike that lead to the parry and the goal.

3) Ejaria 9.5 the man is an absolute flipping legend. He is head and shoulders above anything we have or have had in years. His ability to take on multiple players over and over again must be terrifying for the opposition. His ball control is something special. His ability to find space and bamboozle players and somehow get multiple dangerous shots at goal from just outside the box must make him our real danger man. I lost count the number of time he'd have 3+ players closing him down in desperation.

4) Preston. Related to my point above about Ejaria, I believe having to keep tabs on him frustrated them. I don't think they just happened to be shite. I think we made them look it. Two very matched teams.

5) Bowen and the result. Ok this is going to be controversial. I know I've been vocal in my defence of Bowen and I feel he'll do well, and I know we are all desperate to think we can see changes but... I didn't see much different. Same sort of performance, same sort of result. Last minute winner. Scrappy game. Some hairy moments. And bizarre substitutions I think... although Baldock really did make an impact surprisingly. Tbh this seemed like a Gomes team a Gomes performance and a Gomes result. I know people will say "oh we won" but truth be told it wasn't convinving although probably not undeserved.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Oct 2019 22:31

That was not a Gomes performance...with Gomes in charge we would probably have lost that game by conceding a soft goal through a defensive lapse.

The defence looked far more solid and comfortable with the more direct style of play.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Oct 2019 23:06

2 world wars, 1 world cup
5) Bowen and the result. Ok this is going to be controversial. I know I've been vocal in my defence of Bowen and I feel he'll do well, and I know we are all desperate to think we can see changes but... I didn't see much different. Same sort of performance, same sort of result. Last minute winner. Scrappy game. Some hairy moments. And bizarre substitutions I think... although Baldock really did make an impact surprisingly. Tbh this seemed like a Gomes team a Gomes performance and a Gomes result. I know people will say "oh we won" but truth be told it wasn't convinving although probably not undeserved.

Two major differences:

1. Fullbacks took up a better position. There were still a couple of occasions where the fullbacks were too high but on the whole, they kepy a good shape. Meant that Preston, who had some quick attackers, struggled to counter

2. Use of the ball. Most of the passes were played with a purpose. I'm not sure, for example, that the pass Moore plays to Puscas where he blasted over would have been played under Gomes

We weren't great but I saw an improvement

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2019 23:08

Barney
Victor Meldrew
Barney

It was much much better on Saturday. End of. Take your Gomes glasses off. Bowen did OK, as did the players.

Enjoy your half term

You might want to put your thinking glasses on because you don't seem to have understood anything anyone just said, grandad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2019 23:15

URZZZZ

Two major differences:

1. Fullbacks took up a better position. There were still a couple of occasions where the fullbacks were too high but on the whole, they kepy a good shape. Meant that Preston, who had some quick attackers, struggled to counter

2. Use of the ball. Most of the passes were played with a purpose. I'm not sure, for example, that the pass Moore plays to Puscas where he blasted over would have been played under Gomes

Yep.

More direct - no fannying about with short GKs and constant passing between CBs.

Moore on the left side of defence. Wing backs in position more and much better cover for them from the defence, midfield and attack.

Much better marking and tracking, generally looked a lot more organised and sure on the defensive side.

Substitutions weren't just a case of chucking on extra forwards to roll the dice and go all out.

Lots of room for improvement, particularly the further forward we got, and still a bit vulnerable on the flanks, but much more assured if still limited.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Oct 2019 00:13

Snowflake Royal
Barney
Victor Meldrew

Enjoy your half term

You might want to put your thinking glasses on because you don't seem to have understood anything anyone just said, grandad.

Calm down Ian FFS. And you wonder why people think you’re a cnut.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Oct 2019 00:56

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Two major differences:

Yep.

More direct - no fannying about with short GKs and constant passing between CBs.

Moore on the left side of defence. Wing backs in position more and much better cover for them from the defence, midfield and attack.

Much better marking and tracking, generally looked a lot more organised and sure on the defensive side.

Substitutions weren't just a case of chucking on extra forwards to roll the dice and go all out.

Lots of room for improvement, particularly the further forward we got, and still a bit vulnerable on the flanks, but much more assured if still limited.

We still went with the occasional short goal kick. The difference being was that they weren’t forced. We were only going short when the pass was on. Whereas under Gomes, we were going short from goal kicks regardless, often causing unnecessary pressure

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Oct 2019 08:07

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Two major differences:

Yep.

We still went with the occasional short goal kick. The difference being was that they weren’t forced. We were only going short when the pass was on. Whereas under Gomes, we were going short from goal kicks regardless, often causing unnecessary pressure

We did but Bowen seems to want us to play our football further forward but still not be afraid to play out if the option presents itself - found it refreshing that Bowen accepted he may have drilled home getting it forward a little too much as he still wants them to play.

He is been in the role less than a week and with 12 or 13 players coming back from international duty throughout the week, the sensible thing to do is focus on defensive tightness as wouldn't have had the players there to focus on attacking play as much (Meite & Puscas were both away and started) - so anybody expecting a massive improvement going forward really needs to have a look at their expectations. This will be defense first for a couple of weeks and then start to re-tool the attack.

Thought his substitutions were spot on - Baldock looked like a man on a mission and if he is determined to prove himself then to use the old cliche he really could be like a new signing.

Positive signs without necessary an obvious improvement but a definite change in style. I think Bowen will ensure we have 2 or 3 ways of playing that the team will be comfortable with that we can shift too between games or even in games - makes it harder for the opposition to negate us if they can't be completely certain how we are going to play.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Oct 2019 08:22

leon
Snowflake Royal
Barney

Enjoy your half term

Calm down Ian FFS. And you wonder why people think you’re a cnut.

Funny you dig at me mirroring Barney, but not him.

Not a surprise though.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Oct 2019 08:23

Stranded
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Yep.

We did but Bowen seems to want us to play our football further forward but still not be afraid to play out if the option presents itself - found it refreshing that Bowen accepted he may have drilled home getting it forward a little too much as he still wants them to play.

He is been in the role less than a week and with 12 or 13 players coming back from international duty throughout the week, the sensible thing to do is focus on defensive tightness as wouldn't have had the players there to focus on attacking play as much (Meite & Puscas were both away and started) - so anybody expecting a massive improvement going forward really needs to have a look at their expectations. This will be defense first for a couple of weeks and then start to re-tool the attack.

Thought his substitutions were spot on - Baldock looked like a man on a mission and if he is determined to prove himself then to use the old cliche he really could be like a new signing.

Positive signs without necessary an obvious improvement but a definite change in style. I think Bowen will ensure we have 2 or 3 ways of playing that the team will be comfortable with that we can shift too between games or even in games - makes it harder for the opposition to negate us if they can't be completely certain how we are going to play.

Really agree with Baldock - what an impact he made! Of course fresh legs etc but he really added extra spark. Like a new signing as you say, certainly an impact sub if nothing else.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Oct 2019 08:24

Not just fresh but arguably the first time he has been fully fit since joining us.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Oct 2019 08:51

Stranded Not just fresh but arguably the first time he has been fully fit since joining us.

There’s other things he gives us as well - I like the way he constantly talks to his partner up front. Also just little things like after the goal on Saturday, he calmly goes and gets the ball and kicks it away to stop them restarting the game. Little bit of shithousery and know how which we lack otherwise

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFGT Preston (H)

by Forbury Lion » 21 Oct 2019 09:23

royalp-we Subtle changes. Less risky at the back and got it to the strikers, Puscas and Meite, well in the first half. Bowen said we need to do that better, but the players did as they were told.
Bowen was interviewed about this, he said it's what he told the players to do but he may have over emphasized this, so with that in mind we may build up play a bit slower in our next game.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 21 Oct 2019 09:27

I liked the way Baldock tried up his laces after the goal. He did one very slowly (in their half, of course,) then just as slowly did the second one.

If PNE had done that I would've been annoyed. But it was us, so I was pleased and impressed.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Oct 2019 09:40

Stranded
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Yep.

Yeah, pretty much agreed, a good manager is able to adapt to differing situations and adjust accordingly

Only thing I didn’t agree with was the Adam sub because I thought he should have done Richards for Obita but Adam did OK in his brief spell. I did wonder if Adam would be given a little role considering he worked with Bowen at Stoke for a number of years but I’ll guess we’ll see

143 posts