BFTG Preston (H)

143 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Preston (H)

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2019 10:19

Hound
John Smith
NewCorkSeth True. I always forget hes nowhere near as good as Rashford.

What goals? He doesn't score and doesn't create. He just chases lost causes which is the only reason fans like him because it makes him look committed.

13 goals last season which kept us in the division and 4 this year isnt it?

That's exactly what Rashford's stats are for last season and this, oddly enough.

But Rashford did it in the PL. Much harder.

#NotasgoodasRashfordthereforeshite

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2019 10:27

John Smith
NewCorkSeth
Hound

It's almost like those dont count for some reason.

Not sure I said that, did I?

This season he's scored 2 in a meaningless game at League 2 opposition, a consolation goal while 4-0 down and another in a game we didn't win. In 11 games.

Is that acceptable for a forward, Seth? Get your rose-tinted glasses off and your head out of the sand.

Finally! I've been waiting for a head out of the sand comment to be directed at me for years. Thank you.

I, personally, dont judge him on his goals (although he has scored some important ones and has showed ability in many of them that other strikers we have had have sorely lacked).

I judge him on his ability and personality. He is driven and doesnt seem to dwell on failure. Something very important in a forward. He has the ability to play in 2 positions to a good standard (CF and AMR). He is dominant in the air, quick of feet and has a strong upper body that allows him to cause problems for opposition defenders (particularly when playing wide right).

I accept he has some problems in his reading of the game. His dribbling isnt great and his crossing is poor. But his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Oct 2019 10:34

NewCorkSeth I, personally, dont judge him on his goals I judge him on his personality.

Wow. I'm nearly speechless. You've surpassed yourself in terms of cluelessness, Seth.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2019 10:36

John Smith
NewCorkSeth I, personally, dont judge him on his goals I judge him on his personality.

Wow. I'm nearly speechless. You've surpassed yourself in terms of cluelessness, Seth.

Did you cut out the ability part on purpose?

I think you need to read what Wenger said about the importance of personality.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Oct 2019 10:53

John Smith
Hound
John Smith Is Yakou Meite crap? And what is his position?

No. Inside right forward.

Hound, he's pony. He's more of a target man and not a good one at that. He's certainly not a wide man as he hasn't got the control to dribble, beat a man and cut inside the way that a Rashford would. I think he is the weak link and needs to go.

He’s poor but he’s not the weak link considering we never won without him starting anyway

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Oct 2019 10:56

Henry, Ronaldo, Messi and other great forwards from over the years who have been known for cutting in from out wide, beating a man and scoring.

But John Smith uses Marcus bloody Rashford as an example. If you're going to make ridiculous comparisons at least go big or go home. :lol:

I'm sure OMA will be along to agree with himself shortly though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Oct 2019 11:00

Hound
John Smith
NewCorkSeth True. I always forget hes nowhere near as good as Rashford.

What goals? He doesn't score and doesn't create. He just chases lost causes which is the only reason fans like him because it makes him look committed.

The importance of his goals can’t be underestimated but when we *tried to play a passing style, he was horribly out of his depth. This is why with Gomes’ tippy tappy rubbish, Meite only scored 1 goal until he changed his style to more of a counter and Meite couldn’t stop scoring

He’s a poor footballer with poor technique, but actually players like him in a squad are always useful, if not just to make an impact off the bench. And hopefully if we are to play slightly more direct, it may suit him more. Wouldn’t start him, would like to see a Boye - Puscas partnership but would rather him than useless Joao who spends the entire game on the floor

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2019 11:04

sandman Henry, Ronaldo, Messi and other great forwards from over the years who have been known for cutting in from out wide, beating a man and scoring.

But John Smith uses Marcus bloody Rashford as an example. If you're going to make ridiculous comparisons at least go big or go home. :lol:

I'm sure OMA will be along to agree with himself shortly though.

He must have chosen him because he has identical stats of 13 goals last season and 4 so far this season in all comps. Very clever.

So the issue can't be that he doesn't score as much, it's that he doesn't do so in the manner Rashford does, presumably.

#Doesn'tscorethesametypeofgoalsasRashfordthereforeshite

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2019 11:13

URZZZZ
Hound
John Smith What goals? He doesn't score and doesn't create. He just chases lost causes which is the only reason fans like him because it makes him look committed.

The importance of his goals can’t be underestimated but when we *tried to play a passing style, he was horribly out of his depth. This is why with Gomes’ tippy tappy rubbish, Meite only scored 1 goal until he changed his style to more of a counter and Meite couldn’t stop scoring

He’s a poor footballer with poor technique, but actually players like him in a squad are always useful, if not just to make an impact off the bench. And hopefully if we are to play slightly more direct, it may suit him more. Wouldn’t start him, would like to see a Boye - Puscas partnership but would rather him than useless Joao who spends the entire game on the floor

He's a hard one to fit in really. I like him in and around the squad, and he can certainly make an impact of the bench. Problem is his best football is nearly always after a run of 4 or 5 games. In an ideal world, he'd prob be the impact sub who you'd bring on in 9 out of 10 games.

I expect Joao will be a hell of a lot better with a kick up the backside from Bowen and a more direct style as well. I think Puscas/Baldock or Joao would be the best to start personally, depending on how the style evolves. I've somehow managed to miss just about every game Boye has played so not really sure where he fits in

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Oct 2019 11:17

I agree with John Smith.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 22 Oct 2019 11:33

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
NewCorkSeth It's almost like those dont count for some reason.

Not sure I said that, did I?

This season he's scored 2 in a meaningless game at League 2 opposition, a consolation goal while 4-0 down and another in a game we didn't win. In 11 games.

Is that acceptable for a forward, Seth? Get your rose-tinted glasses off and your head out of the sand.

Finally! I've been waiting for a head out of the sand comment to be directed at me for years. Thank you.

I, personally, dont judge him on his goals (although he has scored some important ones and has showed ability in many of them that other strikers we have had have sorely lacked).

I judge him on his ability and personality. He is driven and doesnt seem to dwell on failure. Something very important in a forward. He has the ability to play in 2 positions to a good standard (CF and AMR). He is dominant in the air, quick of feet and has a strong upper body that allows him to cause problems for opposition defenders (particularly when playing wide right).

I accept he has some problems in his reading of the game. His dribbling isnt great and his crossing is poor. But his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses.

But why have you got rose tinted glasses on if you're head is in the sand?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 22 Oct 2019 12:23

bcubed
NewCorkSeth
John Smith Not sure I said that, did I?

But why have you got rose tinted glasses on if you're head is in the sand?

Go hard or go home.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2019 12:32

John Smith
Hound
John Smith Is Yakou Meite crap? And what is his position?

No. Inside right forward.

Hound, he's pony. He's more of a target man and not a good one at that. He's certainly not a wide man as he hasn't got the control to dribble, beat a man and cut inside the way that a Rashford would. I think he is the weak link and needs to go.

I think you need to go, but none of us get what we want.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Oct 2019 13:58

Hound He's a hard one to fit in really. I like him in and around the squad, and he can certainly make an impact of the bench. Problem is his best football is nearly always after a run of 4 or 5 games. In an ideal world, he'd prob be the impact sub who you'd bring on in 9 out of 10 games.

I expect Joao will be a hell of a lot better with a kick up the backside from Bowen and a more direct style as well. I think Puscas/Baldock or Joao would be the best to start personally, depending on how the style evolves. I've somehow managed to miss just about every game Boye has played so not really sure where he fits in

The true voice of reason speaks again.

Joao should be the first striker on the teamsheet once fit and ready.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Oct 2019 15:42

Hound
URZZZZ
Hound

He's a hard one to fit in really. I like him in and around the squad, and he can certainly make an impact of the bench. Problem is his best football is nearly always after a run of 4 or 5 games. In an ideal world, he'd prob be the impact sub who you'd bring on in 9 out of 10 games.

Given his history at his last club Joao is the one you'd use as an impact sub in 9 out of 10 games.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Oct 2019 15:44

sandman
Hound
URZZZZ

Given his history at his last club Joao is the one you'd use as an impact sub in 9 out of 10 games.

Good job you have 3 subs then - could use both

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Oct 2019 15:51

Hound
sandman
Hound

Good job you have 3 subs then - could use both

Puscas and Boye to start. Meite and Baldock off the bench. Joao can oxf*rd off

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2019 17:16

Why the obsession with Boye, bar one swivel shot he's been awful.

Low pass completion. Low shots per game. Low key passes. High dispossessed. High unsuccessful touches. No league goals or assists.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Oct 2019 17:36

Snowflake Royal Why the obsession with Boye, bar one swivel shot he's been awful.

Low pass completion. Low shots per game. Low key passes. High dispossessed. High unsuccessful touches. No league goals or assists.

Well, it always takes a while for a foreign player to get used to the demands of the league etc...no one expected him to slot straight in and perform. It’s the same with Puscas yet people (myself included) put extra pressure on Puscas because of the price tag. Whereas someone like Joao has been playing here for 4/5 season now

Performances vs Swansea and Bristol convinced me he has something. Good ball carrier, finds pockets of space well, a bit more direct than the majority of our players

His ball retention is poor mind and whilst he carried us forward a number of times vs Swansea, he did end up losing the ball a lot. But I also put that down to lack of options in the formation and style we were playing

Certainly think he can add something and is a bit different to the majority of players we have here

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2019 17:41

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Why the obsession with Boye, bar one swivel shot he's been awful.

Well, it always takes a while for a foreign player to get used to the demands of the league etc...no one expected him to slot straight in and perform. It’s the same with Puscas yet people (myself included) put extra pressure on Puscas because of the price tag. Whereas someone like Joao has been playing here for 4/5 season now

Performances vs Swansea and Bristol convinced me he has something. Good ball carrier, finds pockets of space well, a bit more direct than the majority of our players

His ball retention is poor mind and whilst he carried us forward a number of times vs Swansea, he did end up losing the ball a lot. But I also put that down to lack of options in the formation and style we were playing

Certainly think he can add something and is a bit different to the majority of players we have here

I'm fine with giving him time, but making him first choice?! Bonkers.

143 posts