16%

Total votes: 80
SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ejaria vs Siggy

by SCIAG » 24 Oct 2019 20:19

Greatwesternline
SCIAG What a ridiculous comparison.

Gylfi was possibly the best player we’ve ever had.

Ejaria isn’t even our best midfielder right now.

That might change in the future but right now there’s no contest.

+1

Although i assume you're saying Swift is better. Swift's best moments are better. I think Ejaria looks like a better all round player.

There are definitely things Ejaria does better than Swift, but Swift is much better creatively and I don’t think Ejaria offers enough in other areas to make up for it.

For me Baker>>>Swift>>Ejaria>Kelly

God I miss Baker.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 24 Oct 2019 20:23

Obviously Sig.

But on Swift v Ejaria - both are very good at what they do (ball progression), and have different skillsets. Whether its the change in shape, fitness, or just coincidence, Swift has stepped it up this season and both are performing very highly.

I think Ejaria stands out because his skillset is unconventional - its rare to see a skillful dribbler these days (especially at our level), and it's even more rare for them to play centrally. His 5 attempted dribbles /90 ranks 7th in the league, but only one other player attempts more than 3 a game from a central midfield role (Brizzle's Kasey Palmer - 4/90 - 20% lower than Ejaria).

Swift is a much more 'conventional' CM in the current game, but most teams have a passer - we are just lucky that ours looks fit and effective again. Swift's 3.8 key passes /90 is second in the league (albeit to an impact sub who averages 4.1 over his 400 total mins), but its 1.1 kp/90 over any other CM, although with 1.7 coming from set pieces, it's a bit messy.

For whatever reason, this season alongside each other they are both doing what they do very very well (even if it hasn't translated into many points yet).

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 24 Oct 2019 21:10

i won't vote if there is no Jimmy Kebe option

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Oct 2019 23:33

SCIAG
Greatwesternline

+1

Although i assume you're saying Swift is better. Swift's best moments are better. I think Ejaria looks like a better all round player.

There are definitely things Ejaria does better than Swift, but Swift is much better creatively and I don’t think Ejaria offers enough in other areas to make up for it.

God I miss Baker.

Thinking of that, how many times did we actually see Baker, Rino, Swift and Ejaria in the same team last year? Can’t have been many considering Rino and Swift were injured for quite a period after January. Think those 4 would work well with Puscas and Baldock ahead of them

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 25 Oct 2019 10:23

Ejaria will need to improve his end product (in particular his assists) to be on par with Siggy. IIRC Sig got 30 goals and assists in 09/10. His ability to make space for himself and score from outside the box is similar though.

That said, he's ahead of Siggy at the same stage of the season imo. I only thought Sig stood out after McDermott took over (though I only saw a few of Rodgers games, including Murty's testimonial, so that might be unfair).

traff

by traff » 25 Oct 2019 10:50

WoodleyRoyal glen little was better at dribbling

this

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2019 11:31

SCIAG
Greatwesternline

+1

God I miss Baker.

Baker was a lovely player to watch. I think Swift is right up there this season though. To be able to play pretty much everyone position in midfield as well as he has this season is a real skill. His stats for the QPR game were exceptional - most passes, most tackles, only lost possession once. Strangely I think we under-rate him. It was no coincidence that when Bowen took off Rino for us to control possession better with Swift at a Dcm, we did exactly that.

Can see Ejaria ending up at a higher level than Swift as he has a very rare talent in his dribbling and ability to beat players, but I think Swift is our key man at the moment

Not too sure where Kelly comes into the discussion. The others are on a totally different level. He would be in the mix with the likes of George Evans

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Oct 2019 11:42

Royalwaster i won't vote if there is no Jimmy Kebe option

K*be (peace be upon him) is beyond polls.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Oct 2019 11:44

Hound
SCIAG
Greatwesternline +1

God I miss Baker.

He would be in the mix with the likes of George Evans

I’m not having that, no other footballer is as average as Evans was

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2019 11:46

URZZZZ
Hound
SCIAG There are definitely things Ejaria does better than Swift, but Swift is much better creatively and I don’t think Ejaria offers enough in other areas to make up for it.

God I miss Baker.

He would be in the mix with the likes of George Evans

I’m not having that, no other footballer is as average as Evans was

yep. Every time I think of Evans, the word 'average' comes to mind. The absolute epitome of it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Oct 2019 12:18

KC Royal Ejaria will need to improve his end product (in particular his assists) to be on par with Siggy. IIRC Sig got 30 goals and assists in 09/10. His ability to make space for himself and score from outside the box is similar though.

That said, he's ahead of Siggy at the same stage of the season imo. I only thought Sig stood out after McDermott took over (though I only saw a few of Rodgers games, including Murty's testimonial, so that might be unfair).

I think the ability to make space for the pair was really quite different.

There was very little complicated or highly technical about the way Sig made space, and he needed less IMO. Just a subtle shift of balance or drop of the shoulder, from a little further away and then a lovely bent shot into the far top corner.

Ejaria plays closer to his man and is all about really quick footwork... which is why IMO you often see him turn inside and out. He's engineering a bit of space, but not quite enough and not for a specific purpose, so he has to go back the other way again.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Oct 2019 13:24

Evans is underrated imo. Wasn’t a flashy player but he read the game very well, excellent positionally, made defending look easy rather than having to fly into tackles.

The players we’ve signed permanently to replace him - Meyler, Adam, and Pele - have all failed to meet his standards. Baker far surpassed them but wasn’t here for long, Eza looked solid in all three appearances, Kelly could play there but did better work within shooting distance.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Oct 2019 13:41

SCIAG Evans is underrated imo. Wasn’t a flashy player but he read the game very well, excellent positionally, made defending look easy rather than having to fly into tackles.

The players we’ve signed permanently to replace him - Meyler, Adam, and Pele - have all failed to meet his standards. Baker far surpassed them but wasn’t here for long, Eza looked solid in all three appearances, Kelly could play there but did better work within shooting distance.

Yet he could start a game and you wouldn’t realise he was playing. I watched one Derby game this season and it took me around 30 minutes to realise he was actually playing

There’s a reason Stam had him second choice (behind the “awful” Joey - well according to most posters), Clement didn’t play him, Lampard barely played him. Because he had no influence on a game

I wouldn’t say he was particularly good at positioning and defending. We still conceded a shed load with him playing at CB/CDM

Agreed that we’ve had many worse players like Meyler but that doesn’t make Evans good. It just means we’ve made some poor signings since Evans left

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Oct 2019 13:43

URZZZZ
SCIAG Evans is underrated imo. Wasn’t a flashy player but he read the game very well, excellent positionally, made defending look easy rather than having to fly into tackles.

Yet he could start a game and you wouldn’t realise he was playing. I watched one Derby game this season and it took me around 30 minutes to realise he was actually playing

There’s a reason Stam had him second choice (behind the “awful” Joey - well according to most posters), Clement didn’t play him, Lampard barely played him. Because he had no influence on a game

I wouldn’t say he was particularly good at positioning and defending. We still conceded a shed load with him playing at CB/CDM

Agreed that we’ve had many worse players like Meyler but that doesn’t make Evans good. It just means we’ve made some poor signings since Evans left

Yeah, BetterthanMeyler is almost as bad as the NotasgoodasRashford argument :D

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Oct 2019 13:51

WoodleyRoyal glen little was better at dribbling
Darren Caskey was better at free kicks, penalties and eating pies.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Oct 2019 14:15

Just checked whoscored regarding Evans this season and couldn’t be any more George Evans-ish

4 appearances, averages 1 tackle and 26 passes per game (85% success)

Then considerably less than 1 per game of key passes, dribbles, fouls, clearances, blocks, being dispossessed, shots on goal or being fouled. 0 assists, 0 goals. Overall rating 6.35

Barb

by Barb » 25 Oct 2019 14:27

Ejaria has achieved nothing yet. Very promising and skillfull but it's rare that he has an end product.

It should come.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 25 Oct 2019 14:41

Sig >> Osborn >> Ejaria.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Oct 2019 15:02

Brebner better than them all.

Or Gooding.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Oct 2019 16:37

Hound Just checked whoscored regarding Evans this season and couldn’t be any more George Evans-ish

4 appearances, averages 1 tackle and 26 passes per game (85% success)

Then considerably less than 1 per game of key passes, dribbles, fouls, clearances, blocks, being dispossessed, shots on goal or being fouled. 0 assists, 0 goals. Overall rating 6.35

:lol: :lol:

To be fair, I could tolerate watching him as a CB but not as one of the midfielders