The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Oct 2019 12:08

From Despair To Where? But, if you take into account the Secret Footballer theory, fail to get them up this season and he gets the sack with the addendum that "He couldn't even get Sunderland out of L1 with all their resources". But yeah, he gets a nice payoff because Sunderland pay over the odds because no-one really wants to go there.

Get them up and it's "They shouldn't have been there anyway with all their resources" and suddenly they're being expected to challenge at the top end of the Championship next season. It's a thoroughly toxic job IMO.

Nah, don't think multiple promotions from L1 will be outweighed by one Sunderland failure. Especially if they're still top 10 anyway.

Don't think Sunderland will expect to get another promotion on the bounce if they get the first one. Certainly expect minimum of mid-table and then push on after that, but not quite that unrealistic.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Oct 2019 13:05

No, but it would cement his reputation as a L1 manager who is successful on a budget but struggles with backing.

And you'd be surprised at how unrealistic Sunderland fans are.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Oct 2019 11:36

From Despair To Where? No, but it would cement his reputation as a L1 manager who is successful on a budget but struggles with backing.

And you'd be surprised at how unrealistic Sunderland fans are.

Disagree.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Oct 2019 08:17

Gary Rowett installed as Millwall manager and took charge of their 2-2 last night.

Sol Campbell named as Southend boss.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 23 Oct 2019 08:18

Sutekh Gary Rowett installed as Millwall manager and took charge of their 2-2 last night.

For all his weirdness and strange views it is hard to dispute he did a fantastic job at Macclesfield. Southend are in deep, deep trouble and probably already have an eye on their League 2 campaign next season. Perfect job for Sol.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Oct 2019 10:59

if Bolton had started on 0 points they would be ahead of Southend in the table. That is how f*cking sh*t Southend are. Fair play to Sol I guess.

Rowett's appointment shows how far a managers star can rise and fall quickly

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Oct 2019 11:03

Campbell in the stands as Southend suffer their biggest ever home defeat, 7-1 to Doncaster, down to ten men after six minutes, and nine men with half an hour to go.

First game for the new boss is Ipswich. :lol:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Oct 2019 13:13

Sanguine Campbell in the stands as Southend suffer their biggest ever home defeat, 7-1 to Doncaster, down to ten men after six minutes, and nine men with half an hour to go.

Isn’t Simon Cox at Southend?

Barb

by Barb » 23 Oct 2019 13:25

Sutekh Gary Rowett installed as Millwall manager and took charge of their 2-2 last night.

No he didn't take charge, he was in the stand at Millwall last night.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 23 Oct 2019 13:28

Sutekh
Sanguine Campbell in the stands as Southend suffer their biggest ever home defeat, 7-1 to Doncaster, down to ten men after six minutes, and nine men with half an hour to go.

I believe he is, yes.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Oct 2019 13:30

Sutekh

He is - and back at his level in my view - he never really scored enough in the Championship. He's 32 now, fcuking hell. He got 43 for 81 games at Swindon in League One in around 2008/9, and has a respectable 43 in 140 for Southend.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Oct 2019 13:32

Weirdly Liam Ridgewell is there too - I've always thought him a better player than that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Oct 2019 13:58

Sanguine Weirdly Liam Ridgewell is there too - I've always thought him a better player than that.

Think he's 35 now and "disappeared" off to Portland 5 years ago where he's had a fairly disappointing time, so no real surprise no-one higher up came in for him after a fairly average spell at Hull at the end of last season.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Oct 2019 13:59

Stranded
Sanguine Weirdly Liam Ridgewell is there too - I've always thought him a better player than that.

Think he's 35 now and "disappeared" off to Portland 5 years ago where he's had a fairly disappointing time, so no real surprise no-one higher up came in for him after a fairly average spell at Hull at the end of last season.

Fcuk sake!
I remember him being England under-21s, which I thought was a few years back. Wiki tells me it was 2004. :shock:

KentRoyal

by KentRoyal » 28 Oct 2019 19:15

Stam resigns from feyenoord

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Oct 2019 13:54

KentRoyal Stam resigns from feyenoord

Took Stam's resignation to answer a question I'd posed myself a week ago as to how on earth Feyenoord had ended up signing Liam Kelly.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2019 08:30

Defeat for Stoke v West Brom on Monday should be the end for Nathan Jones there. Current favourties to take over are Tony Pulis and a certain Mr J.Gomes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Nov 2019 08:35

Stranded Defeat for Stoke v West Brom on Monday should be the end for Nathan Jones there. Current favourties to take over are Tony Pulis and a certain Mr J.Gomes.

Hasn't the demise of Nathan Jones been predicted for about 8 weeks now? Keep saying it and we will be right eventually.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Nov 2019 10:28

Old Man Andrews
Stranded Defeat for Stoke v West Brom on Monday should be the end for Nathan Jones there. Current favourties to take over are Tony Pulis and a certain Mr J.Gomes.

Hasn't the demise of Nathan Jones been predicted for about 8 weeks now? Keep saying it and we will be right eventually.

It was inevitable, then he won a couple of games out of nowhere. Normal service resumed now

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2019 11:48

genome
Old Man Andrews

It was inevitable, then he won a couple of games out of nowhere. Normal service resumed now

Looks like he has already gone just awaiting official confirmation.

8673 posts