179 posts
Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Millwall

by Notts Royal » 02 Nov 2019 22:07

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ
Saw the bicycle kick, didn't think he had it in him!

Strangely enough, I always thought he was slightly poor in the air for someone of his size but was relatively decent on the ground. I always thought Bod and Baldock would make a good partnership but we never really got to see it. Shame

Yeah agreed

I’m completely baffled why Gomes chose not to use Baldock at all. Even as sub. Utterly incompetent management tbh

Bod would have been a reasonable option to keep as well

Too stubborn unfortunately. Joao, Boye and Puscas were his signings (well, from what I think anyway) so he can't play Baldock ahead of them. And then Meite who was our top scorer last year

But I'd like to know if Bowen would have still played Baldock had Boye and Joao not been injured...I guess we'll never know that one

I can understand why he did get rid of Bod. Poor injury record at the end of the day. But to replace him by spending 5 million on Sheffield Wednesday's reserve striker. Awful decision

Completely agree with that...a terrible waste of money. Bod would’ve provided decent enough back up. Only needed to sign the 1 striker...Gomes (or whoever really decided to spunk all that money) made a poor decision there

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Nov 2019 22:09

oldebiscuit
The Enfield Royal71 Trouble outside the ground. Glad we did them in and chased them off the mugs. Few punches thrown and we won. We will see them at the den.

This post is cringe.

His whole existence is cringe.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 02 Nov 2019 22:10

Yep, liked the look of Osho too. McIntyre looks to have nudged ahead of him for both Jose and Bowen. TBF I think all of the younger players on the first team fringes, give us a quite a strength in depth in terms of defence, albeit you wouldn't want any of the 5 senior players to be out of action for any length of time.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Nov 2019 22:19

Steve_Upper_West
The Enfield Royal71
Zip

:lol: You little liar.

Not lying mate. Me and the Berkshire boot boys did them in.

GET A LIFE..... :|

Im joking clearly.... I wasn't even at the game today. I went to get some new fish for my fish tank from Maidenhead Aquatics.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 02 Nov 2019 22:19

sandman
oldebiscuit
The Enfield Royal71 Trouble outside the ground. Glad we did them in and chased them off the mugs. Few punches thrown and we won. We will see them at the den.

This post is cringe.

His whole existence is cringe.

That is a tiny bit harsh.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Nov 2019 22:21

Zip
3points
Whore Jackie Baldock's going to be key to any success we have in the near future. He's the one frontman who could play with, and bring out the best, any of our other forwards. It is a total mystery why he was sidelined by Jose, particularly when he looked to have impressed pre-season.

Really enjoyed that game, love Bowen's pragmatic, yet positive philosophy. Thought the full-backs were superb today, so pleased for Obita after the miserable last few years he's had. Swift, Rino, Miazga and the aforementioned Baldock stands our for me, but no-one had a stinker. The team is definitely gelling more than we've seen in a long time. Keep on winning like that and it won't just be 45 minutes that we look half decent. We've certainly got the players to run teams ragged for 90.

Interesting choice Bowen made when replacing Moore. McIntyre seemed first off the bench to warm-up, but for whatever reason, Blackett got the nod. Always feel that Blackett's a great option when you're chasing a game or in complete control, less so when you're potentially under pressure. And with the height Millwall already had on the pitch, plus Smith et al to come on, perhaps McIntyre would have been the safer bet. Good lessons for Bowen and I love that he's honest enough to question his own decisions a few times now. Really promising start to his tenure and managerial career.

I’ve got the impression that Blackett is taller than McIntyre and certainly a bit more solid.

Saw that Osho had a trial with Ipswich the other night. Seems like his days are numbered.

I had forgotten all about Osho. I thought he had a cracking debut for us last season so would hope he still has a future with us.

Moore has a problem with his shoulder that only surgery may resolve. We may need the backup yet.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Nov 2019 22:23

Lower West
Zip
3points I’ve got the impression that Blackett is taller than McIntyre and certainly a bit more solid.

Saw that Osho had a trial with Ipswich the other night. Seems like his days are numbered.

I had forgotten all about Osho. I thought he had a cracking debut for us last season so would hope he still has a future with us.

Moore has a problem with his shoulder that only surgery may resolve. We may need the backup yet.

One of the things that may go against him is his height. He’s smallish for a centre back.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Nov 2019 22:27

Zip
3points
Whore Jackie Baldock's going to be key to any success we have in the near future. He's the one frontman who could play with, and bring out the best, any of our other forwards. It is a total mystery why he was sidelined by Jose, particularly when he looked to have impressed pre-season.

Really enjoyed that game, love Bowen's pragmatic, yet positive philosophy. Thought the full-backs were superb today, so pleased for Obita after the miserable last few years he's had. Swift, Rino, Miazga and the aforementioned Baldock stands our for me, but no-one had a stinker. The team is definitely gelling more than we've seen in a long time. Keep on winning like that and it won't just be 45 minutes that we look half decent. We've certainly got the players to run teams ragged for 90.

Interesting choice Bowen made when replacing Moore. McIntyre seemed first off the bench to warm-up, but for whatever reason, Blackett got the nod. Always feel that Blackett's a great option when you're chasing a game or in complete control, less so when you're potentially under pressure. And with the height Millwall already had on the pitch, plus Smith et al to come on, perhaps McIntyre would have been the safer bet. Good lessons for Bowen and I love that he's honest enough to question his own decisions a few times now. Really promising start to his tenure and managerial career.

I’ve got the impression that Blackett is taller than McIntyre and certainly a bit more solid.

Osho’s career at Reading is all but over by the look of things as he was having a trial with Ipswich last week

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Nov 2019 22:28

Zip
Lower West
Zip

One of the things that may go against him is his height. He’s smallish for a centre back.

I think it’s OK because it’s compensated by extra height with Morrison and Miazga

Moving into next week, I’d be comfortable dropping him and bringing in Blackett/McIntyre. I rate Moore more than most on here and feel he’s an easy scapegoat but in reality, if you play to his strengths, he’s a good centre half. However I’d rather him available for the three games preceding the international break rather than next week

In saying that, we’ve only won back to back once since mid December 2017. And they were two 90th minute winners. Let’s see if we can break that horrible record

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Nov 2019 22:32

Wasn't much impressed with what I saw of Osho on tour. Seemed quite clumsy and too easily bullied.

We've got plenty of CBs without him, with Morrison, Miazga, McIntyre, Blackett... Can comfortably switch to 2 if necessary, Yiadom and Gunter can fill in for emergencies and there's also Odimayo. Plus maybe Pele.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Nov 2019 23:05

Snowflake Royal Wasn't much impressed with what I saw of Osho on tour. Seemed quite clumsy and too easily bullied.

Needs game time in order to have a chance to develop.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Nov 2019 23:55

Jack Celliers It seemed very normal. We had the better players and played better than Milwall so we won the game. Is that Bowen's influence? Just making the game seem sensible again. Things like playing your best midfielder and making sure you have enough defenders were beyond his more enigmatic predecessor.

Rafael 5
Obita 7
Yiadom 7
Moore 6
Miazga 6
Morrison 6
Swift 7
Ejaria 8
Rinomota 8 MotM
Puskas 6
Baldock 8

I think a lot of it is down to Bowen’s approach. We’ve supposedly had the “better players” for 26 months and it’s always led to consistent disappointment. His management so far has been simple yet effective. Pragmatic approach to games, playing players in their right positions, good structure of the team, good balance between pressing and sitting back. All we’ve got to hope is that it isn’t just a manager bounce and it will result in longevity

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 03 Nov 2019 00:00

I quote from Millwall
"terrycos said:
who clocked the fat 40+ yr old Reading cock in full kit over to our right, not a one off saw him last time we were there..he even put on a kit track top ha ha never ever does that clubs supporters cease to amaze me.
Yeah I saw the oxf*rd, surely he needs to be on some sort of register, the kind of one that keeps him away from children. However divvy some of our fans are getting we can at least take comfort that we will never ever be as nerdy as the majority of Reading fans. Looking at them today was like looking at the audience of an ancient episode of Bullseye."

Haha think they are feeling bitter!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2019 00:05

Bigtimmeh I quote from Millwall
"terrycos said:
who clocked the fat 40+ yr old Reading cock in full kit over to our right, not a one off saw him last time we were there..he even put on a kit track top ha ha never ever does that clubs supporters cease to amaze me.
Yeah I saw the oxf*rd, surely he needs to be on some sort of register, the kind of one that keeps him away from children. However divvy some of our fans are getting we can at least take comfort that we will never ever be as nerdy as the majority of Reading fans. Looking at them today was like looking at the audience of an ancient episode of Bullseye."

Tbf if they're talking about the full kit oxf*rd in Y26 I'm thinking of they've got a point. Proper weirdo. Don't think he's anything like 40 though.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Nov 2019 00:19

URZZZZ
I think a lot of it is down to Bowen’s approach. We’ve supposedly had the “better players” for 26 months and it’s always led to consistent disappointment. His management so far has been simple yet effective. Pragmatic approach to games, playing players in their right positions, good structure of the team, good balance between pressing and sitting back. All we’ve got to hope is that it isn’t just a manager bounce and it will result in longevity

5 goals scored in 3 games under Bowen. Compared to 11 in 11 , which includes 3 in one game.

Be interesting to see what the shot count is as well.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 03 Nov 2019 00:56

The simple things Bowen has the players doing has made his first 3 fixtures a joy to watch Reading again; and finally we are playing to the strengths of the players in the team.

The front two are positionally closer together, we look a real threat in attack and the first half Baldock and Puscas could have had a couple each. The tracking back and willingness to win the ball back when we lose possession has meant not one player has had a poor performance. The full backs are running the channels, thanks to the 3 CB’s playing further apart. We finally use a good thrower (Moore or Rino) to launch the ball in to the box for throw ins when in the opposition half, instead of throwing short and ending up in our own half again.

These are just a few things I’ve noted with my limited tactical knowledge - but it’s clear the players are listening to Bowen’s instructions and enjoying playing like an ‘up and at em’ championship team again, instead of attempting to play a passive style they clearly weren’t comfortable, or capable of playing.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 03 Nov 2019 08:27

Snowflake Royal
Bigtimmeh I quote from Millwall
"terrycos said:

Tbf if they're talking about the full kit oxf*rd in Y26 I'm thinking of they've got a point. Proper weirdo. Don't think he's anything like 40 though.

Football has the wonderful quality of bringing the whole community together. I dare say there are people in the ground who may have special needs or learning difficulties who may dress or behave differently to others. I think it's good that football provides people with a hobby. Go easy.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Nov 2019 09:06

Well said.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Nov 2019 09:15

Yeah, fair point.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 03 Nov 2019 09:26

Snowflake Royal Tbf if they're talking about the full kit oxf*rd in Y26 I'm thinking of they've got a point. Proper weirdo. Don't think he's anything like 40 though.

Lots of talk regarding understanding mental health issues in football nowadays and yet we have a post like this?
Seen this guy at every away match I’ve been to - and that’s a lot.
Wears his kit religiously even through the coldest games.
Spoke to him at Brentford once and he maybe he has issues, really wouldn’t like to make that judgement though.
Live and let live if it makes him happy.
( and TBF, regarding Millwall, I’d rather wear a full Reading kit rather than the uniform of a fat overweight, Stone Island clad, flat capped 55 year old monkey still trying to ‘ave some’ on a Saturday afternoon).

179 posts