17149 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2019 13:51

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh
URZZZZ Nathan Jones poised to be sacked today. A certain Jose Gomes is one of the candidates to take over

Edit : He's gone

Gomes in the running
Pulis and Hughton no doubt as well though I can’t see Pulis being popular

Made for someone like Hughton imo.

I wouldn't rule out Gareth Ainsworth though, very talented manager who is very highly regarded.

I will be surprised if Stoke go for young successful lower league manager when they have just fired one but who knows. Pulis would alienate a lot of Stoke fans and Hughton has already said no, so unless they can change his mind...

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Nov 2019 13:51

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Sutekh
Gomes in the running

I wouldn't rule out Gareth Ainsworth though, very talented manager who is very highly regarded.

I will be surprised if Stoke go for young successful lower league manager when they have just fired one but who knows. Pulis would alienate a lot of Stoke fans and Hughton has already said no, so unless they can change his mind...

Jokanovic must be up there too.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 01 Nov 2019 16:31

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Sutekh
Gomes in the running

I haven't updated my Apache Openoffice Spreadsheet but I thought Putin was highly regarded there?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Nov 2019 16:47

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
Sutekh
Gomes in the running

I don't agree with that actually. Pulis may alienate some fans given his style of football isn't exactly the best to watch...but ultimately Pulis took Stoke up and kept them up for a number of years

The idea behind Pulis leaving Stoke in the fist place was that he took them as far as they would likely have ended up with him (so hence the need for progression, which they got with Hughes - for a bit). But with the hole they're in currently, there's not many better candidates IMO than Pulis

We'll see I suppose if Stoke do appoint Pulis. I would have thought though that his past experiences at Stoke will give him extra leeway

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Nov 2019 21:47

Today reinforces my view that Bristol aren't very good. They draw too many games

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2019 06:17

Yeah very underwhelming in the 30 mins or so I watched. Esp at the back

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Nov 2019 18:18

Fulham 0 Hull 3, seems this league is wide open this year, nobody stands out.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Nov 2019 20:07

windermereROYAL Fulham 0 Hull 3, seems this league is wide open this year, nobody stands out.

A lot of it is down to momentum and being able to generate a decent run. Huddersfield couldn't buy a win earlier and are now flying. Hopefully we can continue our run. There's no reason we can't propel up the table considering like you say, it's ridiculously open. Only 7 points separate 1st and 15th currently

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 03 Nov 2019 15:18

Slightly apropos the Miazga ban (total lack of), interesting to note how often elbows were used against an opponent’s head by both PNE and Charlton when contesting in the air, drawing blood at least once. No yellows for that, but e.g. dissent is another matter.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Nov 2019 16:23

Preston go top with that win

But if an eye opener considering how poor they were here a few weeks back

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Nov 2019 17:21

From the bit I watched, Preston spent most of it on the floor again (hence the 7 minutes added on again). I thought their actions were a one off against us but it seems the norm. Hope they don’t go up to be fair, bunch of cheats

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 03 Nov 2019 17:40

Singing Defective Slightly apropos the Miazga ban (total lack of), interesting to note how often elbows were used against an opponent’s head by both PNE and Charlton when contesting in the air, drawing blood at least once. No yellows for that, but e.g. dissent is another matter.

Stockley the main culprit for an arm in the face. Did it today and also against us repeatedly (Morrison the main victim, I think),

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 03 Nov 2019 17:59

SpaghettiHoop
Singing Defective Slightly apropos the Miazga ban (total lack of), interesting to note how often elbows were used against an opponent’s head by both PNE and Charlton when contesting in the air, drawing blood at least once. No yellows for that, but e.g. dissent is another matter.

Stockley the main culprit for an arm in the face. Did it today and also against us repeatedly (Morrison the main victim, I think),

Ben Davies also needed a head bandage & new shirt..around 75th minute. Aneke I think was attached to the elbow that did the damage.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Nov 2019 21:31

Genuinely can’t believe Preston are top of the Championship. Awful against us and not much better on the bits I saw on TV today

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Nov 2019 21:44

3points Genuinely can’t believe Preston are top of the Championship. Awful against us and not much better on the bits I saw on TV today

Well, they have a clear defined style/formation. They have a good balance in their team, for example Stockley, Nugent and Maguire/Barkhuizen up top. They're solid at the back. They're also cynical. Fisher with 7 bookings so far! Pearson with 5

Not a great footballing side but effective/efficient

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 03 Nov 2019 21:50

URZZZZ
3points Genuinely can’t believe Preston are top of the Championship. Awful against us and not much better on the bits I saw on TV today

Well, they have a clear defined style/formation. They have a good balance in their team, for example Stockley, Nugent and Maguire/Barkhuizen up top. They're solid at the back. They're also cynical. Fisher with 7 bookings so far! Pearson with 5

against us I couldn’t tell what their “system” was. Had no idea whatsoever. Ben Pearson is absolutely rubbish. The modern day budget Ray Wilkins

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Nov 2019 08:50

URZZZZ

This.

It is what you need in the Championship - a defined way of playing as well as the ability to do the dirty stuff effectively. It is what Bowen wants for us and if he gets it working we will move comfortably away from the bottom of the table.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Nov 2019 09:23

The league does seem open this year. If you look at our results against Preston, Swansea and WBA we should be capable of competing higher up the table. Consistency is key. The humble pie we may all have to eat over Bowen is currently heating up in the oven after the first 3 games; being top half by Christmas is not inconceivable at which point it will be served.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Nov 2019 09:25

But they won, completely irrelevant if they played well or not. We were very good against them and didn't let them have a sniff, we made them look bad and the team and manager deserve credit for that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Nov 2019 09:31

Old Man Andrews

But they won, completely irrelevant if they played well or not. We were very good against them and didn't let them have a sniff, we made them look bad and the team and manager deserve credit for that.

yes, thats fair. I think they also had a) a bad day and b) Neil admitted he got caught out on the tactics, not knowing what style Bowen would implement.

I've plenty of time for them tbh, though obvs didn't like their cheating at our place. Done very well on a small budget, good signings and a good manager

17149 posts