January Transfer Window

456 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: January Transfer Window

by John Smith » 20 Nov 2019 14:48

Snowflake Royal I'd far rather have sold him in the summer, kept Nova and not bothered with Boye and maybe Joao.

Oh dear, here we go again... Let it go Ian, let it go.

KentRoyal

by KentRoyal » 20 Nov 2019 15:16

John Smith
Snowflake Royal I'd far rather have sold him in the summer, kept Nova and not bothered with Boye and maybe Joao.

Novas not exactly tearing up serie b is he?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Nov 2019 18:58

KentRoyal
John Smith

Novas not exactly tearing up serie b is he?

9 appearences 0 goals last time I looked.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Nov 2019 20:37

How are Loader, Boye and Joao doing in the Championship? How much did the latter two cost us?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Nov 2019 23:25

Snowflake Royal How are Loader, Boye and Joao doing in the Championship? How much did the latter two cost us?

Joao underperforming doesn't mean we should have kept Nova. People didn't go "oh, we should have kept Van Den Berg" just because Meyler didn't work (saying that, I did because I thought JVDB was good but that's beside the point)

I had high hopes for Nova but you have to assess the evidence against him. He made his debut for us in 2015. That means many successive managers hasn't taken an interest in him. Clarke, McDermott, Stam (even after his good loan spell), Clement and Gomes. That's five different managers. Obviously managers can get things wrong but the chances are that if five managers came to the same conclusion that he wasn't good enough, then they're probably not wrong

And even against Sheffield in his 15 minute spell, he looked heavy footed, not used to the physical nature of the Championship. You have to remember the Dutch league is sooooooo much different than the Championship. We saw players like Pelle who clearly had talent struggle with the physical aspect of the Championship

Boye? Not sure what everyone's problems are with him to be honest, he seems an easy scapegoat right now. It's easy to say he hasn't scored (because that's an obvious metric for an attacker) but Joao has won us 0 points this season and Meite has won us 0 points this season too. And isn't Boye a loan too? Surely won't be too expensive

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 22 Nov 2019 08:07

Assuming Virginia goes back to Everton I can see a new number 2 in the January Window

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2019 08:52

gazzer, loyal royal Assuming Virginia goes back to Everton I can see a new number 2 in the January Window

Can't see it myself with Walker and CBC waiting in the wings.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Nov 2019 09:13

Hendo
gazzer, loyal royal Assuming Virginia goes back to Everton I can see a new number 2 in the January Window

Walker is absoultely useless though. Would like to see CBC promoted to number 2, let him get some matchday experience.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2019 09:15

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Walker is absoultely useless though. Would like to see CBC promoted to number 2, let him get some matchday experience.

I certainly wouldn't want him starting ahead of Rafael, but I don't think he is totally useless, certainly a better option than wasting money on getting another 'keeper in though. Agreed on CBC, hopefully he'll get some match-day experience soon, maybe FA Cup bench with a view to being cup 'keeper & no.2 next year.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2019 09:15

depends on us getting rid of Mannone as well of course

CBC is too young. He doesn't even play the majority of U23 games I don't think. Jokull is ahead of him at the moment (even though not much older), and looked half decent in preseason

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2019 09:18

Hound depends on us getting rid of Mannone as well of course

CBC is too young. He doesn't even play the majority of U23 games I don't think. Jokull is ahead of him at the moment (even though not much older), and looked half decent in preseason

Ah yes, forgot about Jokull.

Also, doesn't Mannone only have 6 months left on his contract so will be gone at the end of the season, regardless?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Nov 2019 09:33

Hendo
Hound depends on us getting rid of Mannone as well of course

Ah yes, forgot about Jokull.

Also, doesn't Mannone only have 6 months left on his contract so will be gone at the end of the season, regardless?

Minnesota have made noises about signing Mannone on a perm so wouldn't shock me if we let Vito go for free in Jan just to get him off the wage bill.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2019 09:36

yes, I'm sure they are very keen for Mannone to go. But if he doesn't, may as well use him as back up

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Nov 2019 10:33

There’s more chance of me playing in goal than Mannone for us again, bar a bad injury to Rafael. I’d say Walker is around a league one level goalie which is adequate as a back up

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 22 Nov 2019 13:20

Hound yes, I'm sure they are very keen for Mannone to go. But if he doesn't, may as well use him as back up

Pretty sure Mannone has a huge appearance bonus due if he makes another first team appearance for us too.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Nov 2019 13:22

that would obvs change things

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 23 Nov 2019 16:34

Get as much back as we can for Puscas

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Nov 2019 08:47

72 bus Get as much back as we can for Puscas

Are you saying that because he is a foreigner?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Nov 2019 09:26

Lets not turn Puscas into another Glenn Murray or Vydra for gods sake. Both players never really cut it at Reading yet get goals everywhere else. We are in danger of making same mistake again.

Puscas has exceptional quality, took his goal against QPR extremely well. Needs to be backed and loved and his goals will come.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Nov 2019 11:32

paultheroyal Lets not turn Puscas into another Glenn Murray or Vydra for gods sake. Both players never really cut it at Reading yet get goals everywhere else. We are in danger of making same mistake again.

Puscas has exceptional quality, took his goal against QPR extremely well. Needs to be backed and loved and his goals will come.

Glenn Murray got 8 goals in 18 apps, wouldn`t call that a failure.

456 posts