SpuROFLs

884 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: SpuROFLs

by BR0B0T » 21 Nov 2019 18:57

In the 90's Spurs was usually an easy game!

With that squad, JM will have them competing for top 4. Although might be a step too far for them this season

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Nov 2019 09:51

Hoop Blah Do fans want trophies? Yeah, of course they do, but Spurs fans are happy enough when they're watching their team play attractive football but not winning them, hence Poch being so well thought of over the last 5 years despite the lack of silverwear.

Coming from someone who comes from a family of Spurs fans - it's the rapid progression they have shown under Poch that is why he is so highly thought of, not necessarily just the attractive football. He absolutely transformed the club and a trophy was the next step.

Both my Dad and my Uncle are quite excited about Mourinho and more than happy to sacrifice a bit of flair for some trophies.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Nov 2019 11:46

From Despair To Where? I don't think anyone's saying he's a bad manager, just that he has a collosal ego who thrives on creating tension and instability. It's not a blueprint for long term success. He's a deluxe Martin Allen. Comes in, shakes things up but eventually pisses everybody off. If it's a short, sharp shock you're looking for then fine.

Actually in a round about way, I kind of am saying he's a bad manager.

He's also not the same manager he was in his first stint at Chelsea.

Second Chelsea stint:
Season 1 - didn't finish any higher - failure
Season 2 - won the league - success
Season 3 - sacked in December, left them in disarray and they finished 10th - utter failure

Man Utd
Season 1 - Finished lower - failure
Season 2 - finished 2nd - success
Season 3 - sacked in December, left them in disarray, finished 6th - utter failure

Unlikely to achieve anything this season. So that's 1 season to win a trophy before he sends them into another disarray spiral, assuming he doesn't continue to get worse. Rose will hate him. I can't see Kane getting on with him. He'll have a bust up with Ali inside 18 months.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Nov 2019 13:39

I can see Mourinho having a positive effect this season, IF the players are still capable of turning round their own motivation.

Spurs could quite conceivably win the FA Cup or the UEFA Cup if there's a freshening up on attitude and performance because they've got some excellent players in that squad, if only they'd perform to their ability.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2019 13:45

Hoop Blah I can see Mourinho having a positive effect this season, IF the players are still capable of turning round their own motivation.

Spurs could quite conceivably win the FA Cup or the UEFA Cup if there's a freshening up on attitude and performance because they've got some excellent players in that squad, if only they'd perform to their ability.

I think they are nearly guaranteed to progress to the knock out stages of the champions league so I think the fa cup is the only realistic option for them.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Nov 2019 13:45

Hoop Blah I can see Mourinho having a positive effect this season, IF the players are still capable of turning round their own motivation.

How exactly are they going to win the UEFA Cup ? They're second in their group table, 4 points ahead of third and they can't 'opt' for the UEFA if they finish there.

They've still got Olympiacos (1 point from 4 games) at home, so are almost certain to reach the knock-out rounds of the Champions League.

Er, what Hendo said (I was clearly too slow)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Nov 2019 13:49

They can still win the Champions League you know...who would have tipped them for the final last season when they had a worse manager who couldn't win a trophy?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Nov 2019 13:55

Franchise FC

How exactly are they going to win the UEFA Cup ? They're second in their group table, 4 points ahead of third and they can't 'opt' for the UEFA if they finish there.

They've still got Olympiacos (1 point from 4 games) at home, so are almost certain to reach the knock-out rounds of the Champions League.

They could easily lose their two remaining games, especially if they were keen on the UEFA Cup as a route into next years CL. The tricky bit is Red Start needing to take 4 points, or probably 6, from their games too (one of which is vs Bayern so is unlikely). I wouldn't rule anything out though as Bayern have qualified.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Nov 2019 14:13

Hoop Blah
Franchise FC

They could easily lose their two remaining games, especially if they were keen on the UEFA Cup as a route into next years CL. The tricky bit is Red Start needing to take 4 points, or probably 6, from their games too (one of which is vs Bayern so is unlikely). I wouldn't rule anything out though as Bayern have qualified.

And Bayern may have appointed Pochettino by then :shock:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2019 14:15

URZZZZ They can still win the Champions League you know...who would have tipped them for the final last season when they had a worse manager who couldn't win a trophy?

I mean, yes they can, however you'd have to say there are much stronger teams in the competition than them.

Hoop Blah
Franchise FC

Yes, they could do, but its a risky tactic.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Nov 2019 14:25

Hendo
URZZZZ They can still win the Champions League you know...who would have tipped them for the final last season when they had a worse manager who couldn't win a trophy?

I mean, yes they can, however you'd have to say there are much stronger teams in the competition than them

There was last year, tbf.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2019 14:27

genome
Hendo

I mean, yes they can, however you'd have to say there are much stronger teams in the competition than them

But the team as a whole were in much better form last year. I know it isn't always a great barometer, but odds of 28/1 would say they are outsiders to win it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Nov 2019 16:30

Hendo
genome
Hendo

But the team as a whole were in much better form last year. I know it isn't always a great barometer, but odds of 28/1 would say they are outsiders to win it.

Considering they were three points behind 2nd with 2 games left in the UCL last year (one being Barca away) I'm pretty sure the odds would have been greater than 28/1!

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 22 Nov 2019 17:40

Spurs XI for first game under Levy

13. Neil Sullivan

21. Luke Young
12. Gary Doherty
5. Sol Campbell
31. Alton Thelwell

25. Stephen Clemence
26. Ledley King
4. Steffen Freund
8. Tim Sherwood

19. Andy Booth
We can only loan from the Nationwide League or Scotland and usually it’s a player who is either surplus to requirements, or [available due to] financial considerations or contract situations,” said an enthusiastic David Pleat, Spurs’ Director of Football at the time. “After one or two enquiries we decided to go for Andy Booth.”
9. Les Ferdinand

christ.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Nov 2019 17:59

stealthpapes Spurs XI for first game under Levy

13. Neil Sullivan

21. Luke Young
12. Gary Doherty
5. Sol Campbell
31. Alton Thelwell

25. Stephen Clemence
26. Ledley King
4. Steffen Freund
8. Tim Sherwood

19. Andy Booth
We can only loan from the Nationwide League or Scotland and usually it’s a player who is either surplus to requirements, or [available due to] financial considerations or contract situations,” said an enthusiastic David Pleat, Spurs’ Director of Football at the time. “After one or two enquiries we decided to go for Andy Booth.”
9. Les Ferdinand

christ.

Pochettino's first game in charge in 2014 has this team

Lloris
Naughton
Kaboul
Dier
Rose
Bentaleb
Capoue
Eriksen
Lamela
Lennon
Adebayor

With Kane and Davies on the bench

Rewind to our first game of the season in 2014 and we only still have Gunter and Obita, with one who hasn't featured the entire season. I'm not exactly sure but keeping 7 out of 18 players in five and a half years seems a pretty decent retained list

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2020 17:11

Harry Kane out until April.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Jan 2020 18:23

Mourinho really needs reinforcements in a number of positions. Their defence is still woeful as I predicted it’d be, they have no proper holding midfielder who’s good enough, and they need two strikers now that Kane is out for a while

Think Sissoko is out for a while too

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 09 Jan 2020 18:59

Still never mind eh!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jan 2020 20:21

Hendo Harry Kane out until April.

Killer blow. Pochettino ragged him over the past few seasons, he was always going to break down eventually.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 01 Mar 2020 18:59

Just Lolz
Maureen and Spurofls
A match made in heaven :D :D

884 posts