Ade Williams

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Ade Williams

by Royal Rother » 27 Oct 2019 16:22

I suspect Kitson was in his own little circle.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Oct 2019 17:02

Royal Rother I suspect Kitson was in his own little circle.

Iirc at the time he was here he openly said he didn't have many friends in the squad or football more widely. He just wasn't really a footballer's footballer.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 28 Oct 2019 01:09

Williams hosted the Kitson ex RFC footballers evening which was absolutely excellent.

Kitson came across as a man apart from the rest of everyone.

He was also absolutely gorgeous. Really improved with age.

Edit: he said we should be getting more of the 2006 team back to rebuild the team with the the same ethos that we had.

He was a very compelling speaker.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 28 Oct 2019 12:53

Mid Sussex Royal I don't think his recent podcasts with former managers and players have been that great, bit of a missed opportunity in my view. Would have been better for one of the pro journalists to have done these as they would have done more homework and asked better questions.

Just don't understand how people can think like this.

the whole point is to air opinions from one former Reading legend to another.

All the podcasts he has done have been really interesting to listen to and pretty much all down to his own ideas, research and experience in the game.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Oct 2019 23:23

The Royal Forester
3points
WoodleyRoyal
Disagree if a professional journalist had done the interviews they may have been more guarded. Ady was basically just having a chat with them ex pro to ex pro. Probably got more out of them than a journo would
was disappointed the McDermott one didn’t get into his time and Leeds and the return to Reading.

Aldo thought Kitson came across as being “different” to create a niche for himself, despite him saying he hated the notoriety. If that’s the case, keep your head down and mouth shut and stay out of the limelight (plus he said he didn’t like Sidwell who’s my favourite Reading player of all time)

From what I remember, Kits did not say he didn't like Sidwell, only that they didn't get on, there is a difference. Sidwell, in his podcast said that they just had their own circle of friends. (different card schools on the coach home?)

Doesn't make sense though aren't they both ginger?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Nov 2019 11:50

Hampshire Royal We've won te league championship twice since Cantona won it for Leeds.
To be fair, the trophy was awarded to winners of the top tier back then, we've only won it (twice) as winners of the second tier..... impressive, but literally not in the same league.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Nov 2019 11:52

Williams writes his name as Ady, I believe as a player the programmes etc refered to him as Adie.... this thread is titled Ade.

Maybe he rebranded himself for radio? Adie the player, Ady the radio personality? or maybe we've just got it wrong all this time... or he's got it wrong?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Nov 2019 12:01

Wiki says Ady. Wikipedia has never ever been wrong.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Nov 2019 12:06

2 world wars, 1 world cup
The Royal Forester
3points was disappointed the McDermott one didn’t get into his time and Leeds and the return to Reading.

Aldo thought Kitson came across as being “different” to create a niche for himself, despite him saying he hated the notoriety. If that’s the case, keep your head down and mouth shut and stay out of the limelight (plus he said he didn’t like Sidwell who’s my favourite Reading player of all time)

From what I remember, Kits did not say he didn't like Sidwell, only that they didn't get on, there is a difference. Sidwell, in his podcast said that they just had their own circle of friends. (different card schools on the coach home?)

Kitson did dye his hair blonde for a while and they both had a disagreement over ginger day, KItson was against it if I recall correctly, going on about not wanting attention (ironically getting alot of attention for it) and seemed a bit insulted by it, Sidwell went along with it as something fun for the kids to take part in, particularly the ginger ones who looked up to them..... he may have personally not been a fan of it, but he didn't let it get to him.

Both are favourite players of mine for their on the field ability, I find Kitson quite relateable and honest - he does come across as a bit big headed but when you hear him out, he isn't.
Sidwell, I heard a few people who saw him about say he was a bit of a tosser but that was mostly when he was loitering around betting shops with no interest in horses while the others in his circle had their fix, Also I never had a problem with his move to Chelsea for big bucks and a chance of bettering himself.... although it now seems he was offered more to stay, plus you have to remember how young he was when he was with us.

The BBC Berks podcast interviews were interesting, I had Kitson down as the loner yet he keeps in touch with ex team mates such as Leroy Lita and Sidwell hasn't spoken to any of them for years, even though he was best mates with Shorey (even when they had a punch-up in training).

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Nov 2019 12:11

3points was disappointed the McDermott one didn’t get into his time and Leeds and the return to Reading.
Me too, but I reckon they'll be a McDermott part 2 at some point in the future..... maybe he signed an NDA or two and can't talk about these things for a set period of time? (although if there is an NDA with Reading, considering all the owners/management and most of the players have gone, the club may agree to tear it up and let him speak freely about how bad things were)

Nessa From Eldorado

by Nessa From Eldorado » 07 Nov 2019 12:44

Tony Le Mesmer
Mid Sussex Royal I don't think his recent podcasts with former managers and players have been that great, bit of a missed opportunity in my view. Would have been better for one of the pro journalists to have done these as they would have done more homework and asked better questions.

All the podcasts he has done have been really interesting to listen to and pretty much all down to his own ideas, research and experience in the game.

I agree with Tony Le Mesmer.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 07 Nov 2019 12:52

Forbury Lion
2 world wars, 1 world cup
The Royal Forester From what I remember, Kits did not say he didn't like Sidwell, only that they didn't get on, there is a difference. Sidwell, in his podcast said that they just had their own circle of friends. (different card schools on the coach home?)

Kitson did dye his hair blonde for a while and they both had a disagreement over ginger day, KItson was against it if I recall correctly, going on about not wanting attention (ironically getting alot of attention for it) and seemed a bit insulted by it, Sidwell went along with it as something fun for the kids to take part in, particularly the ginger ones who looked up to them..... he may have personally not been a fan of it, but he didn't let it get to him.

Both are favourite players of mine for their on the field ability, I find Kitson quite relateable and honest - he does come across as a bit big headed but when you hear him out, he isn't.
Sidwell, I heard a few people who saw him about say he was a bit of a tosser but that was mostly when he was loitering around betting shops with no interest in horses while the others in his circle had their fix, Also I never had a problem with his move to Chelsea for big bucks and a chance of bettering himself.... although it now seems he was offered more to stay, plus you have to remember how young he was when he was with us.

The BBC Berks podcast interviews were interesting, I had Kitson down as the loner yet he keeps in touch with ex team mates such as Leroy Lita and Sidwell hasn't spoken to any of them for years, even though he was best mates with Shorey (even when they had a punch-up in training).

That’s interesting I always thought Sidders was offered £50k a week plus by Chelsea and we offered £25 k

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Nov 2019 13:06

Nessa From Eldorado
Tony Le Mesmer

and another plus one.

Surprised at Mid Sussex here. What extra homework was needed? It is just a case of having the skill to get the guest to talk about their experiences which is exactly what he has done. Yes he could probe some "controversial" moments but unless grudge to bear that aint gonna happen nor will they get future guests on.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Nov 2019 13:10

paultheroyal
Nessa From Eldorado
Tony Le Mesmer

and another plus one.

Surprised at Mid Sussex here. What extra homework was needed? It is just a case of having the skill to get the guest to talk about their experiences which is exactly what he has done. Yes he could probe some "controversial" moments but unless grudge to bear that aint gonna happen nor will they get future guests on.

I think the Dave Kitosn interview showed Ady is more than up to the job. Kitson opened up to him because Ady is a respected Reading legend and a fellow pro. I am not sure someone like Tim Dellor would have got a fraction of that information out of Kitson.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Nov 2019 13:22

Westwood52 That’s interesting I always thought Sidders was offered £50k a week plus by Chelsea and we offered £25 k
Sidwell didn't quote any numbers, but apparently Reading offered alot more than Chelsea, This was after we secured premier league status but by that time he had made his mind up having been able to talk to clubs for most of that season.

Steve Coppell told him he couldn't turn down a club like Chelsea

All this is from the Sidwell BBC Berks podcast.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 07 Nov 2019 13:33

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal
Nessa From Eldorado

and another plus one.

I think the Dave Kitosn interview showed Ady is more than up to the job. Kitson opened up to him because Ady is a respected Reading legend and a fellow pro. I am not sure someone like Tim Dellor would have got a fraction of that information out of Kitson.

Nailed it. Mid Sussex has had a bit of a mare tbf.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Nov 2019 14:11

To be fair Kitson has made a whole 2nd career based on "opening up".

It's shutting him up that would be the achievement.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Nov 2019 18:09

Vision To be fair Kitson has made a whole 2nd career based on "opening up".

It's shutting him up that would be the achievement.

I’d like to point out that he’s also gorgeous irl.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2019 11:00

And please will someone tell Ady that Reading did not lose 6-1 to Rotherham after they went 1-0 up back in about 2004. It was a 5-1 defeat. Every time he trots this one out he gets it wrong. He Is correct that he played in the game though.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Nov 2019 12:50

Sutekh And please will someone tell Ady that Reading did not lose 6-1 to Rotherham after they went 1-0 up back in about 2004. It was a 5-1 defeat. Every time he trots this one out he gets it wrong. He Is correct that he played in the game though.

He has never ever said that.

It was Rovrum.