223 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (h) sponsored by nothing to lose

by Sutekh » 23 Nov 2019 20:52

When : Tuesday 26th November 2019, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

After the disappointing showing at Brentford things get worse with high flying Leeds United pulling into town for what, I guess at this level, you would effectively call the “bonus ball” as no-one expects that much from Reading despite their recent improved form. That said it may mean a certain amount of freedom for Reading as there will be no real pressure or expectation on them.

Leeds are where they are due to a really mean defence having conceded just 10 which is 3 better than anyone else in the division. This means that the 6 goals scored by leading marksman Patrick Bamford have been more than effective in helping to collect a number of maximum point hauls so far this season. Add to that the talent of Pablo Hernandez and on loan Heidar Costa and you see just why expectation on Reading to get anything is practically non existant.

Eddie Nketiah and Adam Forshaw are the only injury concerns for Leeds while Reading have doubts over Sam Baldock (hamstring) and John Swift (groin). Joao, Adam and Obita are not likely to be considered available until the trip to Wigan. In addition Andy Yiadom is suspended.

Team wise it is most likely Chris Gunter will get his first game of the season In place of Yiadom although the inexperienced Teddy Howe maybe considered and there is always the possibility of Andy Rinomhota being moved back into that role. There is also likely to be some consideration over whether to continue with George Puscas who seems to get into the right places at the right time but then manages to contrive many entertaining ways to disappoint supporters.

This game is main game for SKY so in all probability those watching the TV feed will get to hear their commentators fawning over Leeds every move so there’s another good reason for Reading players to try and upset the applecart.

Referee

Bond, Darren Bond

Previously

10 Nov 18 > Reading 2-2 Ipswich Town
15 Sep 18 > Preston North End 2-3 Reading
03 Apr 18 > Aston Villa 3-0 Reading
20 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Brentford
30 Nov 17 > Reading 3-0 Barnsley
11 Feb 17 > Reading 0-0 Barnsley
13 Aug 16 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Reading
14 Mar 15 > Watford 4-1 Reading
30 Aug 14 > Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading

Historically

Just 26 league games played so far and all of them (except the first two games played way back in 1927/28) have been since 1986.

Of the 13 home games played so far it’s all square with 4 wins apiece..

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
  6. Sky TV

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Leeds United (h) sponsored by nothing to lose

by windermereROYAL » 23 Nov 2019 20:55

The one game every season I hate going to. annoying loud away fans in all of the stands.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Nov 2019 21:45

Rafael

Rino
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Ejaria
Swift

Puscas
Baldock/Meite if not fit

Walker Blackett Gunter Adam McCleary Meite (Loader if Baldock not fit) Boye

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2019 12:10

Rafael
Gunter, Miazga, Morrison, Moore, Blackett
Rinomhota, Ejaria, Pele
Meite, Puscas

Gunter and Blackett are both more likely to cross and better at crossing than Yiadom or Richards. Blackett (barring lapses) is better defensively IMO too.

Leeds are obviously a threat, so I'd set up to frustrate the arse out of them with both more defensively minded midfielders. With Swift a doubt that makes the decision fairly easy too. Don't risk him against the Leeds thugs.

Ejaria and Rino can break forward, Meite and Puscas can run the channels for out balls. Blackett and Gunter can swing in crosses for the big guys upfront to feed off, where they tend to be best.

Keep it tight, frustrate them and get more expansive late game.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2019 12:17

Swift’s a doubt?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2019 12:29

URZZZZ Swift’s a doubt?

According to OP. Groin

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 24 Nov 2019 13:24

Gunter won’t play,unless he is really buzzing in training.He has just been out for too long.
Rino will play RB and Pele CM.
Doubt about Swift is worrying though;in that case Gunter might come in,and Pele replace Swift,different role though.

We have to do something about Puscas though.Again if Baldock is out.He is likely to play.

Meite just doesn’t convince.
Surely Boye or Jao are better ? Or maybe Macca ?

Loader is an enigma.He really should go out on loan,to see what his level is.

Despite the number of strikers we have.None of them seem totally on the money.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2019 13:55

Rinotatrightbackpleasemhota

Barb

by Barb » 24 Nov 2019 14:15

Two holding midfield players if Swifty is out. Gunter in for Yiadom and someone in for Puscas.

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 24 Nov 2019 14:33

thanks

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2019 15:18

Snowflake Royal Rinotatrightbackpleasemhota

If Swift's out, I'd like to see a Pele, Rino, Ejaria midfield and then McCleary RWB. He's able to beat a man and get a cross in, whereas Gunter is just a bit meh in that department. Plus Leeds play a lot of intricate football around the midfield, think having both Pele and Rino would help there

On a side note, McCleary is getting a lot of stick on Twitter after yesterday. I'm not his greatest fan, but I didn't see too much wrong with his performance

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 24 Nov 2019 16:14

windermereROYAL The one game every season I hate going to. annoying loud away fans in all of the stands.

+1
And boy will they be in an excruciatingly obnoxious happy mood..
Luckily the Mrs’s birthday on Tuesday sort of justifies expense of hospitality for us...

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 24 Nov 2019 16:19

Snowflake Royal Rafael
Gunter, Miazga, Morrison, Moore, Blackett
Rinomhota, Ejaria, Pele
Meite, Puscas

Gunter and Blackett are both more likely to cross and better at crossing than Yiadom or Richards. Blackett (barring lapses) is better defensively IMO too.

Leeds are obviously a threat, so I'd set up to frustrate the arse out of them with both more defensively minded midfielders. With Swift a doubt that makes the decision fairly easy too. Don't risk him against the Leeds thugs.

Ejaria and Rino can break forward, Meite and Puscas can run the channels for out balls. Blackett and Gunter can swing in crosses for the big guys upfront to feed off, where they tend to be best.

Keep it tight, frustrate them and get more expansive late game.

Puscas? Mother hold me up!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 24 Nov 2019 16:54

Assuming all are fit.

Rafael

Rinomhota
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Pele
Swift
Ejaria

Meite
Baldock

Doubts about Rinomhota starting at right back but Howe probably isn't quite ready for a game like this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Nov 2019 17:47

Strange how Baldock suddenly looks a huge loss

Unfortunately has a history of bring injury prone

Wouldn’t change too much. Gunter for Yiadom. Boye for Baldock if injured. Swift hopefully ok

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2019 23:30

Really don't get that. Boye's done the square root of F all and Meite has consistently been good with a run of starts under his belt.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2019 23:46

Snowflake Royal Really don't get that. Boye's done the square root of F all and Meite has consistently been good with a run of starts under his belt.

You say I scapegoat Meite, but you do just the same with Boye. You also say Meite needs a run of games (fair enough) but how many times had Boye had successive starts in the league?

Dropped after Hull
Dropped after Huddersfield
Dropped after Boro
Dropped after Swansea

He's played successive games once. How is a player supposed to integrate into the squad when he's not given a chance?

For the record, Boye has done some positive stuff. Changed the game against Plymouth, scored against Wolves, changed the game at Bristol, put in a decent shift at West Brom. Even at Swansea when he should have been sent off, he was our only source of hope in the first half

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2019 23:51

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Really don't get that. Boye's done the square root of F all and Meite has consistently been good with a run of starts under his belt.

You say I scapegoat Meite, but you do just the same with Boye. You also say Meite needs a run of games (fair enough) but how many times had Boye had successive starts in the league?

Dropped after Hull
Dropped after Boro
Dropped after Swansea

He's played successive games once. How is a player supposed to integrate into the squad when he's not given a chance?

For the record, Boye has done some positive stuff. Changed the game against Plymouth, scored against Wolves, changed the game at Bristol, put in a decent shift at West Brom. Even at Swansea when he should have been sent off, he was our only source of hope in the first half

I'm not saying Boye is shit or can't play well. I'm saying he's done nothing to warrant being ahead of Meite who was last season's top scorer. He's proven multiple times he plays well when given a run in the side. Boye hasn't proved anything.

He's done absolutely nothing every time I've seen him. He's behind Meite on the subs bench, why would he leap from him into the first team?

If he can come on and score a goal or we get two injuries upfront, that's fine in terms of getting his chance. Or if Puscas continues to struggle, or Meite doesn't pick up with a few starts.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Nov 2019 00:00

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Dropped after Hull
Dropped after Boro
Dropped after Swansea

I'm not saying Boye is shit or can't play well. I'm saying he's done nothing to warrant being ahead of Meite who was last season's top scorer. He's proven multiple times he plays well when given a run in the side. Boye hasn't proved anything.

He's done absolutely nothing every time I've seen him. He's behind Meite on the subs bench, why would he leap from him into the first team?

If he can come on and score a goal or we get two injuries upfront, that's fine in terms of getting his chance. Or if Puscas continues to struggle, or Meite doesn't pick up with a few starts.

I don't disagree with him starting for this game as he can have a certain use for the counter attack. But there really isn't much in it between him and Boye like you're insinuating

On the other hand, if, as you say, it takes Meite a few games to get up to speed from the start, why would you choose to start him against a team second in the league?

I don't buy the "last season" argument either. The last two seasons, our "top scorer" has been pretty much woeful the season after

I generally think Baldock could be a bigger loss than Swift just for this game because at least Ejaria is a close enough substitute to Swift, not sure if we have anyone like Baldock

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Nov 2019 05:55

Pretty much as uurrzzz says but also that don’t think Meite and Puscas look a good partnership to me

If it was Puscas injured, I’d bring Meite in to pair with Baldock

Not seen a lot of Boye but the little I’ve seen makes me think he might be a better foil for Puscas

223 posts