Next Five Games: Fulham - Cardiff

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Next Five Games

by Stranded » 18 Nov 2019 10:08

Hampshire Royal When did International breaks start?

Can't remember but weren't they introduced as most games in top flights (top 2 in England) were getting postponed due to international call ups?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2019 12:17

Stranded
URZZZZ I don't mind the international breaks because it gives you an opportunity to do other things on the weekend but I don't like having three in three months, just after three months off

Infact, in the last six Saturday's, we've had three of them off. Whereas now, assuming no others fixtures gets cancelled etc etc, we're playing every weekend for 17 weeks straight

I have no idea why they can't schedule it to be more spread out tbh

Pretty straightforward isn't it - nowhere else to put them for a number of reasons.

Weather being one - you would not want to nor be able to play football in most Nordic countries and the chance of games being postponed would be at their highest in the Dec - Feb period. No problem in domestic football but say Kosovo - England was scheduled for mid-Jan and conditions saw it called off - where would you reschedule it?

Add to that that a lot of leagues have mid-season breaks in Jan & Feb - you'll be hard pushed to get any agreement for international games at that point. You could in theory have an April window and go Sep/Oct, Mar/Apr but that would be too close to finals for qualifying games to still be taking place in even numbered years.

The only other options could be more games in a summer window - but with the Nations League now, that is unlikely or have a window in August before most seasons start - i.e. around 10th/11th August and remove the November window - however again, clubs are likely to rebel against losing their players a week or two before the season and the transfer window is still open.

TL;DR it would be great if we didn't have 3 international breaks in 3 months but is pretty much the only time they can fit them in.

I think one solution is rather than three lots of two games, do two lots of three games in a break. Then we can perhaps eliminate the October break for example

To do this, make sure every single game on the last week before the break is played on the Saturday. And then play the international games Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday

Most players on the international stage play Saturday - Tuesday most weeks anyway. I understand travel may be an issue but with strategic prior planning, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. And I don’t buy the tiredness argument, professional footballers should be able to play three games a week

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Nov 2019 12:26

URZZZZ
Stranded
URZZZZ I don't mind the international breaks because it gives you an opportunity to do other things on the weekend but I don't like having three in three months, just after three months off

Infact, in the last six Saturday's, we've had three of them off. Whereas now, assuming no others fixtures gets cancelled etc etc, we're playing every weekend for 17 weeks straight

I have no idea why they can't schedule it to be more spread out tbh

Pretty straightforward isn't it - nowhere else to put them for a number of reasons.

Weather being one - you would not want to nor be able to play football in most Nordic countries and the chance of games being postponed would be at their highest in the Dec - Feb period. No problem in domestic football but say Kosovo - England was scheduled for mid-Jan and conditions saw it called off - where would you reschedule it?

Add to that that a lot of leagues have mid-season breaks in Jan & Feb - you'll be hard pushed to get any agreement for international games at that point. You could in theory have an April window and go Sep/Oct, Mar/Apr but that would be too close to finals for qualifying games to still be taking place in even numbered years.

The only other options could be more games in a summer window - but with the Nations League now, that is unlikely or have a window in August before most seasons start - i.e. around 10th/11th August and remove the November window - however again, clubs are likely to rebel against losing their players a week or two before the season and the transfer window is still open.

TL;DR it would be great if we didn't have 3 international breaks in 3 months but is pretty much the only time they can fit them in.

I think one solution is rather than three lots of two games, do two lots of three games in a break. Then we can perhaps eliminate the October break for example

To do this, make sure every single game on the last week before the break is played on the Saturday. And then play the international games Wednesday, Saturday, Tuesday

Most players on the international stage play Saturday - Tuesday most weeks anyway. I understand travel may be an issue but with strategic prior planning, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. And I don’t buy the tiredness argument, professional footballers should be able to play three games a week

Yeah could be feasible. Only thing that stops it is players being made available to the international team in time. A lot of leagues have games on the Sunday before an international break that are locked in by TV contracts etc. Not a showstopper but not ideal and can't see international managers being too chuffed as gives them absolutely no time to train with the squad.

For example - say Liverpool V Spurs play on Sunday - those players report on Monday but unlikely to train - if away on Wednesday in say Bulgaria - England would travel then. Team would probably only be able to have a short session at the stadium, so no chance to work on tactics or set pieces.

Play Weds - travel Thurs - short training on Fri - Game. Travel Sun - light session Mon game Tues.

So yes it would free up an international break but it would, to my mind, weaken the international game further in the eyes of many as they would essentially be games between 2 scratch teams. At least with games not starting til Thursday at the earliest it gives managers a chance to work with their players.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Nov 2019 13:13

its probably as good a schedule as its ever going to be now. Anything else makes the international game even weaker

Doesn't stop it still be frustrating and annoying every time one comes around though....

Suppose the problem is that no one much is ever particularly interested in the qualifiers, but then go full on when England, Wales or whoever make the major tournament. The qualifiers a necessary evil of that

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 18 Nov 2019 13:26

Hound its probably as good a schedule as its ever going to be now. Anything else makes the international game even weaker

Doesn't stop it still be frustrating and annoying every time one comes around though....

Suppose the problem is that no one much is ever particularly interested in the qualifiers, but then go full on when England, Wales or whoever make the major tournament. The qualifiers a necessary evil of that

Think part of it is the luxury of supporting England, who always seem to have a smooth, stress-free, path through qualification. Qualification games are like pre-season friendlies for England supporters.

Whereas, if you're say, Finnish, qualification games are as often big as it's going to get - they've just qualified for their first ever tournament. Wales are possibly going to qualify directly if they beat Hungary - that game is huge if you're a Welsh football fan. Think that would only be the 2nd tournament Wales has qualified for? Ireland have a massive game against Denmark tonight also.

etc. etc

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Nov 2019 14:12

yep indeed.

I do think the Euros being expanded to 24 teams has weakened the interest for the top tier national side as well. There was a genuine chance of a number of the likes of England, Germany, France or Italy missing out before - whereas now, they'd have to completely sh*t the bed to not qualify

obvs better for the likes of Wales and NI though

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2019 14:27

Perhaps unfair on some of the bigger nations, but it may be more interesting if it was unseeded (group of death and all that). Because pretty much, in particular in the Euros, you can predict about 16 teams that will go through almost every time, you can predict about 16 teams that have no chance and then the rest are effectively competing against each other

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Nov 2019 15:52

UEFA want the big nations there though and they want as many of them in the knock-outs as possible - that will have driven the move to 24 - the chance it gives to other historically less successful nations to get in is a bonus. The sell TV rights based on England, Germany, Spain, France etc qualifying not Finland.

As a result, you will never get a "group of death" but you will see qualifying groups like the current one with the German and Dutch teams paired up. Of course the extended tournament didn't stop the Dutch being so bad 4 years ago they missed both the boat and the lifeboat. There will always be the occasional big nation that has a mare but with the Nations League in place they will have more chance of getting the lifeboat.

For example, Bulgaria* picked up 6 points, finished 4th in their 5 team group and their only win in a dead rubber against the Czech Republic and they are in the play-offs - so close to impossible for the Netherlands for example never to get a play-off spot, minimum, now.

[*]For comparison, Albania won 4 games in qualifying but are out as they finished bottom of a tougher group than Bulgaria had

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Nov 2019 17:00

Yeah, I do know what you mean and it does make sense. To me, it just seems that they’ve changed the things they didn’t need to and haven’t changed things they should and the international breaks are becoming more stale now

Obviously, as the poster said above, it means more to smaller countries like Wales, Iceland etc because the expectations of qualification aren’t that high, especially compared to someone like England. For us, it’s almost a lose - lose situation, win each game comfortable and fans are bored, lose a couple and we’re not ready for the actual tournaments

In general, I just feel like international breaks are becoming less and less liked, whilst people used to prefer club football 10 or so years ago, there was still some sort of excitement for international games. Almost everyone hates them now

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 19 Nov 2019 23:51

URZZZZ In general, I just feel like international breaks are becoming less and less liked, whilst people used to prefer club football 10 or so years ago, there was still some sort of excitement for international games. Almost everyone hates them now

Just like the Champions league expanding the competition has weakened the brand. European Cup being a knock out competition was the real deal. Every game meant something. Now it's a turnoff. With seedings to guarantee the same top teams pocket the money every season. A club for the boys not the paying supporters.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Nov 2019 18:06

muirinho
Hound its probably as good a schedule as its ever going to be now. Anything else makes the international game even weaker

Think part of it is the luxury of supporting England, who always seem to have a smooth, stress-free, path through qualification. Qualification games are like pre-season friendlies for England supporters.

Whereas, if you're say, Finnish, qualification games are as often big as it's going to get - they've just qualified for their first ever tournament. Wales are possibly going to qualify directly if they beat Hungary - that game is huge if you're a Welsh football fan. Think that would only be the 2nd tournament Wales has qualified for? Ireland have a massive game against Denmark tonight also.

etc. etc

Couldn’t agree more. I always get right behind England at world cups and Euros and get caught up in all the hype but just not interested in qualifiers exactly for the reason you raise. Supporting a country who might qualify but not likely would always make it more interesting.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Nov 2019 23:29

royalp-we I’ve got a feeling the players are going to show their quality in the next 2 fixtures. But lack the quality of the opposition in the following 2 fixtures.

Millwall - 3
Luton - 3
Brentford - 0
Leeds - 0
Wigan - 1

Draw on Saturday lads :roll:

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Nov 2019 07:14

royalp-we I’ve got a feeling the players are going to show their quality in the next 2 fixtures. But lack the quality of the opposition in the following 2 fixtures.

Millwall - 3
Luton - 3
Brentford - 0
Leeds - 0
Wigan - 1

Absolutely spot on so far in all aspects

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next Five Games: Millwall-Wigan

by URZZZZ » 30 Nov 2019 17:06

URZZZZ- 3 out of 5
Zip - 4 out of 5
Hound - 2 out of 5
Royalp-we - 4 out of 5 (unlucky!)
Snowflake Royal - 3 out of 5
Royal Jimmy - 5 out of 5! (sort of)

Not bad guesses here

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Nov 2019 17:11

URZZZZ URZZZZ- 3 out of 5
Zip - 4 out of 5
Hound - 2 out of 5
Royalp-we - 4 out of 5 (unlucky!)
Snowflake Royal - 3 out of 5
Royal Jimmy - 5 out of 5! (sort of)

Not bad guesses here

So.
Next 5 -
Brum (H) 15th - WLLDDD
Barnsley (A) 24th - DLLLW?
Stoke (A) 23rd - WWLL??
Derby (H) 14th - WLD???
QPR (H) 16th - LD????

Lot of points available there

W,W,W,W,W :D :wink:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Nov 2019 17:33

Today was important. Can brush off Brentford and Leeds as tough games now. The next 5 look tasty; another 10 points or so and we'll be looking up.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 30 Nov 2019 17:36

To be fair both Leeds and Brentford scored a hatfull today.

Sort of puts those results into perspective.

Away from home and not playing particularly well with our two best players missing isn't really too shabby.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Nov 2019 17:40

Get in with my predictions :)

My next 5 predictions:

Next 5 -
Brum (H) - Draw (1 point)
Barnsley (A) - Win (3 points)
Stoke (A) - Lose (0 points)
Derby (H) - Win (3 points)
QPR (H) - Win (3 points)