BFTG Stoke

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

BFTG Stoke

by Kitsondinho » 14 Dec 2019 19:01

A decent away point in many respects. It was a much better performance than Wednesday’s overall (still just as bloody cold though!) Thought Gunter did well, Gomes pleasantly surprised me and the front two at least managed to link up in Stoke’s half. However, it would be better if they tried it around the opposition’s box.....
The two things I found most frustrating were
A) our insistence on playing many of our G.Ks short....did we not learn anything from Barnsley?
B) When we did launch it long, it was almost always to Baldock, who was half the size of their CB and barely won a header all match. Joao was hanging around, looking every inch the target man...but we didn’t use him that way. Oh well. If you had offered me a point and a clean sheet before the match, I’d reluctantly have taken it. Feel pretty much the same now. Better...but not exactly inspiring.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Stoke

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Dec 2019 20:04

That really was a shocking game and I thought it was a flaccid and lazy performance. Happy with a point but we never felt like we wanted to win that.

In Craig Revel Horwood words, a 2/10 game at best. No excitement, no passion from either side and little quality except a few moments from Ejaria.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Dec 2019 21:42

A decent point but a terrible game almost devoid of any entertainment on a cold windy day. We had a lot of possession but it was Stamball going nowhere. The team seemed incapable of creating any threat and I barely recall a chance or a save at either end. Stoke had what few chances there where with shots going wide, they have a really decent team and if they could start scoring and get some confidence they'd be up there - a bit like us.

We kept doing the short passing goal kicks and Stoke, no doubt having seen at Barnsley how shit we are at it, did the high press and nearly got something on a couple of occasions. Even when we beat the press we went nowhere with the later passes so you have to wonder why we bother if it gains us no advantage.

I thought Gunter was particularly frustrating, he must of had instructions not to get forward and stick with McClean as we were desperate for some width.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 14 Dec 2019 22:19

Terrible game, however, it was a decent point against a team that really should be further up the table with the players they have at their disposal. Finally we got away from five at the back, that system was killing me, but i would prefer a 4-3-3 with Joao as the main striker and Meite and Boye playing as the inside forwards. The midfield and defense were fine.
Our passing was much better today but still to slow to really hurt Stoke. Derby is turning into a must win game if we are to put some daylight between us and the pack at the bottom, and lets be honest, Derby are in a real bad run of form at the moment so we must be positive and take the game to them which is something that Bowen promised but has so far failed to deliver.
Yes, we have injuries to key players, but we still have a decent group to work with including some of the younger players chomping at the bit to prove their worth.
Onward and hopefully upwards..... :D

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 15 Dec 2019 00:07

Not a single shot on target all game from either team according to beeb. #enthralling

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Dec 2019 00:48

Thought about going to this but ended up heading to Maidenhead Utd vs Hemel Hempstead in the Fa trophy instead.

Good day out all in all.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Dec 2019 01:41

St Pauli Thought about going to this but ended up heading to Maidenhead Utd vs Hemel Hempstead in the Fa trophy instead.

Good day out all in all.

You’ve done this a few times and we’ve all indulged you by not saying anything.

Now shut the fcuk up.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Dec 2019 05:10

Just a thought. Lots of people mentioning us passing the ball out short from the back. Could that be because, with it's two open corners, the stadium turns it into a tornado simulator on a windy day, making long kicks unpredictable?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Dec 2019 07:43

leon
St Pauli Thought about going to this but ended up heading to Maidenhead Utd vs Hemel Hempstead in the Fa trophy instead.

Good day out all in all.

You’ve done this a few times and we’ve all indulged you by not saying anything.

Now shut the fcuk up.

Lolz. And +1.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Dec 2019 09:50

Stoke fans really do voice their displeasure eh?

Thought the game was really odd. We really struggled for large patches to transition the ball but then, when we did that part well (funnily enough Gubter was involved everytime we made good movement up the pitch), we looked unlikely to even shoot. Guess that's what Meite and Puscas bring? A willingness to shoot on sight? I know both have fluffed a fair amount if chances but is it better to see players fluff chances than not take them at all?

It seems decision making is our biggest problem. We have experience, talent, fitness, aerial ability, options for each position and players capable of making their presence felt in a physical sense but nobody capable of consistently making the correct attacking decision.

A question on Adam for everyone: Is his ability to go direct a useful tool for the season or something that breaks down our style of play?

I noticed he made some very nice passes forward but absolutely nobody made runs as they were not expecting it. Is it just Adam reverting to what he knows/is best at or are the other players simply not on that wavelength yet?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Dec 2019 10:28

We were shite.

Sorry but there was little to be positive about apart from an away draw.

ZERO shots on target all game.
Just ‘safely’ passing it around the back.

Adam did ok , no one was really shit. Blackett did ok.

Given there was talk of 9 points against these easier sides this was just dismal.

My talking points

1- now we see hw much we miss swift possibly
2- I have little faith in Cabral and his punches
3- have the wheels come off Bowen’s honeymoon?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Dec 2019 10:40

2 world wars, 1 world cup We were shite.

Given there was talk of 9 points against these easier sides this was just dismal.

My talking points

1- Think that was evident before this game.
2 - As I said a few weeks back - A debate about Rafael is coming.
3 - Dunno. I think he is suffering from certain fans being overly positive early on. His game time tactical decisions are troubling and, even worse, now he is getting to the point (not his fault obviously) where injuries can start being blamed. It's going to be hard to evaluate him when he has had to go so many games where he can, justifiably, look at and say "I didnt get to pick the team I wanted because player X was injured".

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Dec 2019 10:49

I would be happy if we drew all our remaining away games 0-0, boring or otherwise

We have no divine right to win away... Stoke and Barnsley have decent recent form

Imagine if Barnsley had beaten QPR 5-3 and we then went there and drew 1-1
People would be praising RFC...
Barnsley can clearly play going forward.

Stoke had just won 3-0 (albeit against Luton) and their new manager is very decent

I thought we'd probably lose. 0-0 is a VG result

Last 3 games away, 5 points, that is championship-winning away form

(Shame about Fortress Madjeski)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Dec 2019 11:00

1-0 PRESTON
2-2 QPR Away
2-1 MILLWALL
3-0 LUTON
0-1 Brentford Away
0-1 LEEDS
3-1 Wigan Away
2-3 BIRMINGHAM
1-1 Barnsley Away
0-0 Stoke Away

P10 W4 D3 L3 14-10 = 15 Points = a 69-Point Season Equivalent

In this ten-game-spell we have played 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Millwall who are flying

Considering how we looked when Bowen came in, that is VERY decent.

Brentford and Leeds were not terrible results. Only the Birmingham game should be considered a poor result

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Dec 2019 11:06

NewCorkSeth

My talking points

3 - Dunno. I think he is suffering from certain fans being overly positive early on. His game time tactical decisions are troubling and, even worse, now he is getting to the point (not his fault obviously) where injuries can start being blamed. It's going to be hard to evaluate him when he has had to go so many games where he can, justifiably, look at and say "I didnt get to pick the team I wanted because player X was injured".

Every manager has to face injuries to first choice players. It's how they cope with that which defines how good a manager they are, not how they do when everything is going their way. Furthermore, we have a much stronger squad in depth than a good many teams in this division (more than one manager from other teams has made envious remarks about that) so Bowen's task should be less difficult.

As for Rafael and particularly his punching, I can't recall his punches getting us into trouble, in fact the opposite. He comes hard, strong and punches with distance. In a recent game, some old 'expert' behind me was giving him stick for opting to punch, rather than catch in a pressured situation and windy conditions. Clearly he hasn't realised that balls have changed, can dip and swerve significantly in flight and no longer have leather laces that a keeper can grab hold of!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Dec 2019 11:06

Snowball 1-0 PRESTON
2-2 QPR Away
2-1 MILLWALL
3-0 LUTON
0-1 Brentford Away
0-1 LEEDS
3-1 Wigan Away
2-3 BIRMINGHAM
1-1 Barnsley Away
0-0 Stoke Away

P10 W4 D3 L3 14-10 = 15 Points = a 69-Point Season Equivalent

In this ten-game-spell we have played 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Millwall who are flying

Considering how we looked when Bowen came in, that is VERY decent.

Brentford and Leeds were not terrible results. Only the Birmingham game should be considered a poor result

Yes agree with that, and we have taken points from losing positions in three games, something we rarely did under Gomes/Clement.

An away point anywhere at this time of season is okay in my view.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Dec 2019 11:11

RoyalBlue
NewCorkSeth

My talking points

Every manager has to face injuries to first choice players. It's how they cope with that which defines how good a manager they are, not how they do when everything is going their way. Furthermore, we have a much stronger squad in depth than a good many teams in this division (more than one manager from other teams has made envious remarks about that) so Bowen's task should be less difficult.

As for Rafael and particularly his punching, I can't recall his punches getting us into trouble, in fact the opposite. He comes hard, strong and punches with distance. In a recent game, some old 'expert' behind me was giving him stick for opting to punch, rather than catch in a pressured situation and windy conditions. Clearly he hasn't realised that balls have changed, can dip and swerve significantly in flight and no longer have leather laces that a keeper can grab hold of!

I should clarify the reason I said "even worse" is that I detest managers using injuries as an excuse. Yes it is sometimes true but when a new manager comes in an injury crisis is especially annoying as it makes it hard to evaluate how good they are. With Swift do we snatch a goal against Leeds? Or Brentford? With Puscas do we score against Stoke? These questions will now follow the debate about whether or not Bowen is any good for quite some time. Especially if we dont win soon.

On the Rafael debate I was more talking about the "is he actually any good" question which is already rearing its head. I'm still not sure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Dec 2019 11:12

Yes, a lot depends on the next 2 home games as to how Bowen will be seen

His overall record is still pretty solid. Anyone who thinks we should just expect to go to Barnsley and Stoke and pick up 6 points is deluded. We’re not WBA or Leeds

2 home wins in the next 2 and things will look good again. Any less than 4 and he’ll be getting a little worried

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Dec 2019 11:15

NewCorkSeth With Swift do we snatch a goal against Leeds? Or Brentford?

I can answer those 2 for you

It was a ‘no’

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Dec 2019 11:17

Hound
NewCorkSeth With Swift do we snatch a goal against Leeds? Or Brentford?

I can answer those 2 for you

It was a ‘no’

:D
Probably, yeah.