VAR

1732 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: VAR

by John Madejski's Wallet » 28 Dec 2019 23:54

That Pukki offside was about the biggest joke yet

Out of interest, have any of these ridiculous offside decisions benefitted a minor team yet?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2019 00:00

Just bin this shit

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 Dec 2019 00:04

Royal Rother Just make the defender’s line thicker.

a pretty simple and elegant solution tbf

but it doesn't get rid of the measurement coming down to mm's

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 29 Dec 2019 10:48

I am not getting this hate for var and offsides. FFS Pukki was offside. If you like it or not he was off. Fraction or not he was off.

Unless you factor in a 10% error ratio you have to be exact. As I have said many times before var should be used as a matter of fact and in this case it was.

Unless you bring in an “umpires call” scenario like cricket with in this case it would of been a goal.... it’s pretty straightforward. And yes umpires call is also bloody ridiculous.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 Dec 2019 11:26

paultheroyal I am not getting this hate for var and offsides. FFS Pukki was offside. If you like it or not he was off. Fraction or not he was off.

Unless you factor in a 10% error ratio you have to be exact. As I have said many times before var should be used as a matter of fact and in this case it was.

Unless you bring in an “umpires call” scenario like cricket with in this case it would of been a goal.... it’s pretty straightforward. And yes umpires call is also bloody ridiculous.

I have felt before that VAR is right because the decisions are right but...….
I'm not against the time that it takes as we have breaks in games for injuries and these more lengthy breaks only occur once, twice or perhaps not at all in a game.

Watching a game we see that there are throw-ins that are given the wrong way, corners the same and ( a bugbear of mine) bookings given for 50/50 challenges where a player gets booked because the other one stays on the ground. so we are used to imperfect decision-making by officials.
Over the weekend they have carried on making these "wrong" decisions and it feels as though more goals are being chalked off than are given and the idea behind football is to score goals and that is the aspect that we enjoy.

It could be that we just have to develop a different mind set as football fans and now possibly consider a match time of say 80 minutes with each game being watched from afar and all these other things that referees may have missed or got wrong are relayed immediately back to that official.
The game then becomes like NFL where decisions are meticulously studied and stoppages common place.
Meanwhile we have to live with it and surely it evens out, e.g. Brighton's Dan Burn was very unlucky to have his goal ruled out yesterday but Brighton did have the benefit in that earlier game of the foot incident.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Dec 2019 11:41

Victor Meldrew
paultheroyal I am not getting this hate for var and offsides. FFS Pukki was offside. If you like it or not he was off. Fraction or not he was off.

I'm not against the time that it takes as we have breaks in games for injuries and these more lengthy breaks only occur once, twice or perhaps not at all in a game.

Watching a game we see that there are throw-ins that are given the wrong way, corners the same and ( a bugbear of mine) bookings given for 50/50 challenges where a player gets booked because the other one stays on the ground. so we are used to imperfect decision-making by officials.
Over the weekend they have carried on making these "wrong" decisions and it feels as though more goals are being chalked off than are given and the idea behind football is to score goals and that is the aspect that we enjoy.

It could be that we just have to develop a different mind set as football fans and now possibly consider a match time of say 80 minutes with each game being watched from afar and all these other things that referees may have missed or got wrong are relayed immediately back to that official.
The game then becomes like NFL where decisions are meticulously studied and stoppages common place.
Meanwhile we have to live with it and surely it evens out, e.g. Brighton's Dan Burn was very unlucky to have his goal ruled out yesterday but Brighton did have the benefit in that earlier game of the foot incident.

I just want to watch a game. I could not care less if mistakes are made by players, managers or officials it’s part and parcel of playing and watching. Over the course of a season crap goes both for and against you so just deal with it.

Currently this stupid system stops the game, kills celebrations, bores everyone while someone makes a subjective decision somewhere which in a lot of cases has proved to be just as mistake ridden as any decision the referee might have made in the first place.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 Dec 2019 17:19

Sutekh
Victor Meldrew

I just want to watch a game. I could not care less if mistakes are made by players, managers or officials it’s part and parcel of playing and watching. Over the course of a season crap goes both for and against you so just deal with it.

Currently this stupid system stops the game, kills celebrations, bores everyone while someone makes a subjective decision somewhere which in a lot of cases has proved to be just as mistake ridden as any decision the referee might have made in the first place.

Is VAR showing how bad our referees are?.
Anthony Taylor had 2 of his crucial decisions overturned the other day and now at Anfield yet another.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Dec 2019 17:21

Victor Meldrew
Sutekh
Victor Meldrew

Anthony Taylor had 2 of his crucial decisions overturned the other day and now at Anfield yet another.

Er, two actually

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Dec 2019 17:22

INFA

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Dec 2019 17:30

Franchise FC
Victor Meldrew
Sutekh

Er, two actually

It is utterly ridiculous that players are being called offside because they have a hand in an offside position. This is just the sort of idiocy VAR introducing to the game.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 Dec 2019 17:31

Franchise FC
Victor Meldrew
Sutekh

Er, two actually

The second was an offside call so it should be the lino's call-we can let him off this one. :D

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 29 Dec 2019 17:34

Sutekh
Franchise FC
Victor Meldrew

Er, two actually

It is utterly ridiculous that players are being called offside because they have a hand in an offside position. This is just the sort of idiocy VAR introducing to the game.

This is now happening in so many Premier League games but, for the moment anyway, it is the rules to the nearest millimetre.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Dec 2019 17:51

Sutekh
Franchise FC
Victor Meldrew

Er, two actually

They don’t.

Offside only applies to body parts they can score with.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Dec 2019 22:22

Pukkis’ goal was ruled offside because of his hand being in an offside position...no?

Can this crap...just keep the goal line decisions

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 29 Dec 2019 22:42

Personally I think offside should be restricted to feet only

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 29 Dec 2019 23:00

People need to just get over it, VAR offsides are only highlighting the perceived inadequacies of the offside rule. I think it’s much better than when we had people a yard or two off/onside given incorrectly.

If people want the offside rule changed, then so be it. Don’t have a pop at VAR because you’re a dullard.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Dec 2019 23:19

Surely City’s first needs to be disallowed because of referee interference?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Dec 2019 23:21

Tails People need to just get over it, VAR offsides are only highlighting the perceived inadequacies of the offside rule. I think it’s much better than when we had people a yard or two off/onside given incorrectly.

If people want the offside rule changed, then so be it. Don’t have a pop at VAR because you’re a dullard.

It doesn’t make people “dullards” if they don’t want to spend 5 minutes judging if someone’s toe nail is offside. VAR is dull and is further ruining the sport

There should be a 30 second time limit for refs to make their mind up. If they can’t, stick with the original decision. Simples

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 Dec 2019 23:55

Fukk 30secs. A VAR offside check should be one look, no computer generated lines. If it doesnt clearly look offside the its obviously not a 'clear and obvious' mistake

Same with most other VARs, If it isn't immediately obvious to the VAR official then they shouldn't make a decision

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 30 Dec 2019 01:16

multisync1830 Personally I think offside should be restricted to feet only

what difference would this make?

1732 posts